Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Putting Drills for Distance Control

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 _conejunkie

_conejunkie

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 104736
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 11 July 2018 - 07:21 AM

What drills/games have you all used to help your child improve putting distance contol?

I see my child struggle with this and most always blows it by the hole or bangs the cup too hard causing a miss.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#2 leezer99

leezer99

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 891 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 94152
GolfWRX Likes : 847

Posted 11 July 2018 - 07:33 AM

Ladder drill

#3 hangontight

hangontight

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 402 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 477968
GolfWRX Likes : 252

Posted 11 July 2018 - 08:13 AM

1) Make a “box” with clubs or alignment sticks propped up on tees (high enough so balls can roll under.  Line up like 10 balls starting from 6’ away progressing back as far as you want, usually 25’ or so.  1 pt for each ball in the box, make it a competition , you vs. him or a buddy.

2) set up four tees , a set of two at each end 5’ or so apart( like end zone lines on a football field).  Putt from one “line”  to the other, closest to line gets point , play to 10. Usually best on a slight slope so one way is down hill and the other is uphill.  Vary distance accordingly.    You can adjust rules accordingly- I.e points only count if within a grip legnth of line, or pints only count if past the line (to encourage not leaving short!)
This is super simple but has helped my son, again it is a competition.

#4 heavy_hitter

heavy_hitter

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,584 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 366715
GolfWRX Likes : 2131

Posted 11 July 2018 - 08:23 AM

Cam McCormick/Jordan Spieth putting drill.  Love this drill as it works on spacial awareness.
Put an alignment stick 3 ft. behind a cup.  Start balls in a line at 10ft, 15ft, 20ft, 25ft, 30ft, 35ft, 40ft, 45ft, 50ft.  Player needs to call what the ball is going to do with their head down after the putt.  Left long, right short, in the hole, etc.  Through 25 ft the ball must go past the hole.  Birdie if it goes in.  Par if it is between the cup and stick.  Bogey if it is short or past the stick.  At 30 ft. you move the alignment stick to 4ft past the hole.  Same rules apply through 50 ft but they get 1 ft in front of the cup as well.  Goal is to be at +2 or better.  Love this drill because it works on spacial awareness which I think is huge for teaching distance control.

#5 Palmetto Golfer

Palmetto Golfer

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 179906
GolfWRX Likes : 137

Posted 13 July 2018 - 10:23 AM

The are lots of great drills out there. The ladder is great with the flag 3' behind the hole.  Another is taking a step onto the green and placing a tee.  Then put tees starting at 15', 18', 21', 25' and 28' away.  The ball must come to a rest between the first tee and the edge of the green.  When it does move back a tee.  If it doesn't move up a tee.  It is a tough drill.  It also puts pressure on them on the last tee.

One quick thought...my son use to have the same problem with blowing the ball past the hole.  I started to get on him about it so he stopped doing it.  The problem was he started to leave them 3' short!!!!  It took a long time to get my son to feel comfortable with putting the ball past the hole.  If you think you are frustrated with him going long...what till he hits them short!!!

Have to thank Heavy for this but the Putt Out is a great gadget for putting.  It has helped my son a lot.

#6 alfriday

alfriday

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 403 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 362505
GolfWRX Likes : 302

Posted 13 July 2018 - 12:04 PM

Set up a box with 4 tees, about 3 feet square.  Put a marker on the front edge of the box as the hole location.  Putt into the box, so the ball stops within the box, from varying distances.  Now the hard part, have the golfer do it with eyes closed, calling out short, in or long before opening their eyes.

#7 hangontight

hangontight

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 402 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 477968
GolfWRX Likes : 252

Posted 28 July 2018 - 08:38 AM

Another one we’ve been using , I call it “7 putts”

Put 4 balls down at varying distances and spots on green - closest one one about 10’ , other three vary on how hard you want to make it.  You have 7 putts to hole all balls out.  Puts pressure on making at least 1, and others can be 2 putts.  Lately this has been the last game we do to wrap up practice.  My son has learned to save the close one for last.

Edited by hangontight, 28 July 2018 - 08:41 AM.

#8 tdeutmeyer

tdeutmeyer

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 288 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 32650
GolfWRX Likes : 33

Posted 28 July 2018 - 11:09 AM

I just get set up, look at the line I want to start the ball on, close my eyes and make the stroke, concentrating on the putter weight in my hands.  Roll a dozen putts at different distances this way with the focus on feeling the weight of the putter and not caring if the putt goes in or if you hit it the right distance.   Then try it with eyes open.  It works for me anyway.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors