Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

A big thank you to everyone, especially Mr De La Torre

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 McdonaI

McdonaI

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 461948
  • Handicap:17
GolfWRX Likes : 8

Posted 10 July 2018 - 05:06 PM

Hey all,

Long time lurker, first time poster.

Just wanted to give some praise to all of you who have helped me through my golf journey.

I started about 3 years ago and hacked my way round the course fighting tops, thins, fats, hooks and slices along the way. Found myself getting lost, lost and more lost on YouTube with the variety of coaches on the prescribing tips for the masses that never fit so didnít stick.

I then found this forum and was blessed to find loads of constructive advice for beginners and more which have helped me with so many issues over the years. I also found Some really enlightening debates on swing theory which initially muddied the waters but eventually cleared my mind. I knew that I did not want that.

That really describes where I was at the start of may this year but I still did not know exactly what I wanted. I knew I wanted golf to be fun. I want it to be a sport. I want to go out and play. However, after three years I just did not know what to do.

Then a moment of providence I stumbled on a Manuel de la Torre thread on here and it has changed my golfing life. I read all the threads and knew instantly that this is what I wanted. So I watched all the videos available, read all the threads (even all the arguments) read the book and I now feel like I have what I need.

I now know what to do. I feel like golf is a sport. I no longer worry about my next shot. I am having fun. (I am no expert or pro it must be stated I dont even have a handicap (I work shifts and canít realistically play in comps)) I must repeat this, even though I have loved gold from the moment I started I am having fun! 😊

So a big thank you to all of you out there who have posted on this forum with well meaning tips, critiques, lightbulb moments, arguments, YouTube clips, more arguments and of course the Manuel de la Torre information that has given me such joy. You have all changed my life. Also, a big thank you to the man himself, Manuel decks Torre, I wish I could have met you and had you give me the feel. God bless.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#2 PreppySlapCut

PreppySlapCut

This is just babytown frolics...

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,928 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 4840
GolfWRX Likes : 779

Posted 10 July 2018 - 06:57 PM

Awesome stuff, bud.   Keep grinding and having fun!
Ping G400 LST 10* w/ Tour 65 (X)
Ping G 14.5* & 19.5* w/ Tour 80 (X)
Ping G30 22* w/ Accra Kuchar Proto 85 (X)
Mizuno MP-18 5-PW w/ KBS C-Taper (S)
Mizuno T7 50*, 55*, 60* w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge
Scotty Cameron Toolbox

#3 Kenny Lee Puckett

Kenny Lee Puckett

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,550 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 379660
  • Handicap:0
GolfWRX Likes : 2821

Posted 10 July 2018 - 07:22 PM

please, this time don't wait over a year to make your next post. WRX can use your positivity around here. :good:
https://www.youtube....eature=youtu.be  video on course practice 5/2016

Ping G LST: Ping Tour 80
Ping Anser 4wd: Accra S3-80 RT
PXG 0317 Hybrid: Fujikura 8D07HB

Ping S55 4-PW: Dynamic Gold Tour Issue
Ping Glide 2.0  50/54/58 SS: DG Tour Issue
Ping ZING 2

Ping 703 +3 wraps/Pingman putter grip
Ping Sensor glove/Srixon 2017 Z-Star XV
Ping Hoofer 2016 bag

#4 Ghostwedge

Ghostwedge

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 340 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 433482
  • Handicap:10
GolfWRX Likes : 153

Posted 10 July 2018 - 07:26 PM

Mcdonl @ welcome aboard, you have found the "holy grail" to your golf.
You could do a lot worse than the teachings of Manuel De La Torre. He was and is still a part of my golf journey.

#5 McdonaI

McdonaI

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2018 - 05:03 AM

Thanks for the replyís. Iíd never posted before as I didnít feel I had anything positive to contribute. Now I do. Hopefully I can now join in with this busy community. Thanks again!

#6 vsabre

vsabre

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 206 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 102604
GolfWRX Likes : 84

Posted 11 July 2018 - 05:04 PM

Actually Mcdonal, I would like to thank you! You prompted me to go take a look at the de la Torre threads and most of the
YouTube stuff and I spent several hours just soaking it in. Been playing a long time and I desperately needed simplification in the process. Target focus only and swing shoulder to shoulder ( backswing above the right, finish above the left). It has cleared my mind before and during the swing and the initial results have been very solid..

Thanks!
Trackman SS-97 GolfWrx SS-110

Ping G400 LST X-Torsion Copper S
Cobra King F7 Fujikura Pro 65 S 14.5* Weight Forward
Ping I Blades 4-PW S300 + 1/2 Red Dot
Mizuno TM7 Wedges 50, 54 and 58
Scotty Cameron Golo 6

#7 McdonaI

McdonaI

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2018 - 05:24 PM

vsabre, on 11 July 2018 - 05:04 PM, said:

Actually Mcdonal, I would like to thank you! You prompted me to go take a look at the de la Torre threads and most of the
YouTube stuff and I spent several hours just soaking it in. Been playing a long time and I desperately needed simplification in the process. Target focus only and swing shoulder to shoulder ( backswing above the right, finish above the left). It has cleared my mind before and during the swing and the initial results have been very solid..

Thanks!

Awesome! Never expected that to happen! You are welcome. 😊 hereís to you, target focused golf, fun and Manuel de la Torre.

#8 vsabre

vsabre

• 206 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2018 - 07:24 PM

McdonaI, on 11 July 2018 - 05:24 PM, said:

Thanks!

Awesome! Never expected that to happen! You are welcome. 😊 here’s to you, target focused golf, fun and Manuel de la Torre.

What part of Scotland, if I may ask? My family comes from John Witherspoon from Gifford, East Lothian a few generations back..

Scotty Cameron Golo 6

#9 dlygrisse

dlygrisse

Legend

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,893 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 16702
GolfWRX Likes : 6162

Posted 11 July 2018 - 08:01 PM

The MDLT stuff is great. If you really think about all the technical stuff/methods-it will all just happen naturally if you follow Manuel’s theories.

His putting advice is great as well; just roll the ball on your starting line.
Callaway GBB
Callaway V Series 3w, HW
Callaway Steelhead 4 hybrid
Ping G 4-U
Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 54* SS
Vokey 58 M grind
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Jones Utility
Ball, KSig or a bunch of ProV's I won in a charity scramble.  
ECCO Biom Hybrid 3

#10 McdonaI

McdonaI

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2018 - 08:04 PM

vsabre, on 11 July 2018 - 07:24 PM, said:

McdonaI, on 11 July 2018 - 05:24 PM, said:

Thanks!

Awesome! Never expected that to happen! You are welcome. �� here’s to you, target focused golf, fun and Manuel de la Torre.

What part of Scotland, if I may ask? My family comes from John Witherspoon from Gifford, East Lothian a few generations back..

I'm live on the Isle of Lewis off the west coast. I was born in Edinburgh though and have family there. Not much in the way of facilities up here. Two courses, one parkland 18 holes, one links 9 holes 50 miles apart, no teaching pros and one driving range with mats directly on concrete floors.

Wow, you have an illustrious forefather. I share his sentiments on the centralisation of government.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#11 McdonaI

McdonaI

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2018 - 08:07 PM

View Postdlygrisse, on 11 July 2018 - 08:01 PM, said:

The MDLT stuff is great. If you really think about all the technical stuff/methods-it will all just happen naturally if you follow Manuel’s theories.

His putting advice is great as well; just roll the ball on your starting line.

I love the quote in the foreword of the book when the LPGA pro goes to him moaning about her putting and Manuel asks her what she is trying to do. When her reply is 'I am trying to make putts' he tells her not to try and make putts but to simply roll the ball as far as the hole. Brilliant!

#12 vsabre

vsabre

• 206 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2018 - 08:25 PM

View PostMcdonaI, on 11 July 2018 - 08:04 PM, said:

View Postvsabre, on 11 July 2018 - 07:24 PM, said:

View PostMcdonaI, on 11 July 2018 - 05:24 PM, said:

View Postvsabre, on 11 July 2018 - 05:04 PM, said:

Thanks!

Awesome! Never expected that to happen! You are welcome. �� here’s to you, target focused golf, fun and Manuel de la Torre.

I'm live on the Isle of Lewis off the west coast. I was born in Edinburgh though and have family there. Not much in the way of facilities up here. Two courses, one parkland 18 holes, one links 9 holes 50 miles apart, no teaching pros and one driving range with mats directly on concrete floors.

Wow, you have an illustrious forefather. I share his sentiments on the centralisation of government.

Yep, my 5th great-grandfather. Just spent the 4th over here in Philadelphia standing up for him ( along with 10 other descendants)  when the roll call was read of the signers in Independence Hall. My first time and pretty moving experience. Certainly a bucket list item to get over to Scotland and see where he lived, and of course play a little golf:)...

Scotty Cameron Golo 6

#13 McdonaI

McdonaI

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2018 - 08:37 PM

View Postvsabre, on 11 July 2018 - 08:25 PM, said:

View PostMcdonaI, on 11 July 2018 - 08:04 PM, said:

View Postvsabre, on 11 July 2018 - 07:24 PM, said:

View PostMcdonaI, on 11 July 2018 - 05:24 PM, said:

View Postvsabre, on 11 July 2018 - 05:04 PM, said:

Thanks!

Yep, my 5th great-grandfather. Just spent the 4th over here in Philadelphia standing up for him ( along with 10 other descendants)  when the roll call was read of the signers in Independence Hall. My first time and pretty moving experience. Certainly a bucket list item to get over to Scotland and see where he lived, and of course play a little golf:)...

Wow! Sounds like a great experience. It must make you proud to be part of something as significant as commemorating the starting of a new country. When i was 11 or 12 i was chosen along with another in my school to attend the first opening of the Scottish Parliament and I was very proud to be there for that and there was no family connection involved there.

#14 McdonaI

McdonaI

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2018 - 08:55 PM

A little bit more info on my swing results. In case it can persuade anyone like me to use Manuel's Method.

Before I started implementing the method nearly every shot was a straight pull. I tried various methods to correct this pull but it was still present in about two thirds of my iron shots and 90% of my drives. Now i could play to this and get around the course but it annoyed the hell out of me.

Now, when i tried to swing the golf club as directed by Manuel i did not try to change my grip as i had read in the forum that it might not be needed. Alas, nearly every shot has a weak fade at best or a slice at worst. I tried to push that out of my mind. It's not a pull i told myself.

I then went to the Manuel's book and read about the causes of a slice and adjusted my grip accordingly. It was surprising to me what the adjustment was as when i first started playing golf i used to slice and when i got a lesson from a pro his fix was the exact opposite of what Manuel's book told me. I pushed that thought away and made the adjustment and bam! First shot hook! Second shot hook! Third shot hook! I could not believe it. I had never hooked the ball before in my life. Well not without rolling my hands over a la adding topspin to a forehand in tennis.

That really piqued my belief in this.

So i then read the part of the book that deals with the cause and effect of hooks and was able to correct the hook into a pretty cool looking draw. Another thing that i'd never been able to do in the past.

Bare in mind that this was all within about half an hour at the range.

Anyways, I know there will be ups and downs ahead as always and i will not get too far ahead of myself and continue to commit to improving slowly rather than not at all.

Thanks for reading. God Bless.

Edited by McdonaI, 11 July 2018 - 08:56 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors