Jump to content

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Best junior instructors not always ranked teachers


  • Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 tiger1873

tiger1873

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 702 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 340777
  • Joined: 09/20/2014
  • Location:United States
GolfWRX Likes : 331

Posted 09 July 2018 - 05:13 PM

Usually summer is a great time to evualate if current instructors make sense or if we need to use a specialized.  One thing I noticed is a lot junior coaches who teach a lot good juniors are never ranked in the bigger golf instructor list. Some are ranked by all the golf magazines but the vast majority are really not well known outside their areas.

We have used nationally ranked coaches and top junior coaches. So far the coaches we used that have been ranked have been much more advanced in instruction. The biggest issue is sometimes the basic information. To apply it is lacking.


I am just wondering what everyoneís thoughts on this.


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


1

#2 wildcatden

wildcatden

    China Cat Sunflower

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 599 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 481904
  • Joined: 09/14/2017
  • Location:The Bridges - 74.3/144
GolfWRX Likes : 598

Posted 09 July 2018 - 05:30 PM

Interested to follow this thread because we currently don't have an instructor at age 7. From age 5-6 we were part of a local golf academy (about 8:1 instructor to student ratio). Took around a dozen private 45 minute sessions with one of the instructors. Now, unless I can't help him fix it, we don't plan on instruction until he is 10 or so.

IMHO on finding an instructor, you need to find someone who gets along with *your* junior and someone who teaches the game of golf and not the game of swing.

Edited by wildcatden, 09 July 2018 - 05:30 PM.


2

#3 iteachgolf

iteachgolf

    Legend

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,210 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 14489
  • Joined: 04/30/2006
  • Location:Jacksonville, FL
GolfWRX Likes : 7335

Posted 09 July 2018 - 05:31 PM

Thereís only so many list and so many spots on those list. So of course there will always be highly ranked instructors not on list

3

#4 leezer99

leezer99

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 961 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 94152
  • Joined: 09/10/2009
GolfWRX Likes : 928

Posted 09 July 2018 - 06:44 PM

Golf Digest Podcast on What Makes a Great Teacher

4

#5 tiger1873

tiger1873

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 702 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 340777
  • Joined: 09/20/2014
  • Location:United States
GolfWRX Likes : 331

Posted 09 July 2018 - 07:32 PM

View Postiteachgolf, on 09 July 2018 - 05:31 PM, said:

Thereís only so many list and so many spots on those list. So of course there will always be highly ranked instructors not on list

I know that the question is why are not more junior coaches making lists? I would think juniors who do well move on to become pro and the teachers would follow.


Obviously some of them like butch Harmon and Jim McLean became famous and developed well known talent

I am starting to think that they majority are good at developing talent so far and once the kids get to a certain level they leave them.  I know your a teacher so it be interesting to hear your thoughts on why you havenít made the list yet? Is there a point where it is better to move on with a great teacher because the teacher does not have the talent to handle you?

Edited by tiger1873, 09 July 2018 - 07:35 PM.


5

#6 iteachgolf

iteachgolf

    Legend

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,210 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 14489
  • Joined: 04/30/2006
  • Location:Jacksonville, FL
GolfWRX Likes : 7335

Posted 10 July 2018 - 02:17 AM

View Posttiger1873, on 09 July 2018 - 07:32 PM, said:

View Postiteachgolf, on 09 July 2018 - 05:31 PM, said:

Thereís only so many list and so many spots on those list. So of course there will always be highly ranked instructors not on list

I know that the question is why are not more junior coaches making lists? I would think juniors who do well move on to become pro and the teachers would follow.


Obviously some of them like butch Harmon and Jim McLean became famous and developed well known talent

I am starting to think that they majority are good at developing talent so far and once the kids get to a certain level they leave them.  I know your a teacher so it be interesting to hear your thoughts on why you havenít made the list yet? Is there a point where it is better to move on with a great teacher because the teacher does not have the talent to handle you?

Iíve made some list. If a teacher is good they are good.  Iíve taught/teach PGA Tour and European Tour winners and Iíve also had multiple NCAA national champions and teach this years Western Junior winner among others.

6

#7 tiger1873

tiger1873

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 702 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 340777
  • Joined: 09/20/2014
  • Location:United States
GolfWRX Likes : 331

Posted 10 July 2018 - 07:05 AM

View Postiteachgolf, on 10 July 2018 - 02:17 AM, said:

View Posttiger1873, on 09 July 2018 - 07:32 PM, said:

View Postiteachgolf, on 09 July 2018 - 05:31 PM, said:

There's only so many list and so many spots on those list. So of course there will always be highly ranked instructors not on list

I know that the question is why are not more junior coaches making lists? I would think juniors who do well move on to become pro and the teachers would follow.


Obviously some of them like butch Harmon and Jim McLean became famous and developed well known talent

I am starting to think that they majority are good at developing talent so far and once the kids get to a certain level they leave them.  I know your a teacher so it be interesting to hear your thoughts on why you haven't made the list yet? Is there a point where it is better to move on with a great teacher because the teacher does not have the talent to handle you?

I've made some list. If a teacher is good they are good.  I've taught/teach PGA Tour and European Tour winners and I've also had multiple NCAA national champions and teach this years Western Junior winner among others.

I figured you probably made some top list somewhere. The thing is I am seeing some teachers who are not on any top instructor lists voted on by peers  are not certified in anything.  There also not TPI Certified or US kids certified or are on any lists. The thing is these teaches actually teach very good kids and we have played with their students and the kids do well in tournaments. In some cases the kids are very high ranked juniors. So why wouldn't their peers vote for these people?

I also notice they all seem like mills and will pass you around to different instructors.  None of the kids I seen are bad and all seem to do at least ok.  I am not sure what they are doing to get so much success.  I have no idea of what they do but I fear it's more about them pushing the kids then teaching the kids.  I will admit though I am curious as to what is there secret to success.

I've seen this sort of thing with quit a few people who claim to work with juniors. My main concern is there mostly focused on winning now and not long term development. I don't care if my 8 year old wins UK kids world if they throw there back out as a teenager.  I also want them to win bigger and harder tournaments when there teenagers rather then young for obvious reasons. It also helps if they learn to love playing rather then Dad telling them what to do.

Edited by tiger1873, 10 July 2018 - 07:12 AM.


7

#8 heavy_hitter

heavy_hitter

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,647 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 366715
  • Joined: 03/16/2015
GolfWRX Likes : 2211

Posted 10 July 2018 - 09:44 AM

Just because they are ranked doesn't mean they are a good teacher or a good fit.

8

#9 tiger1873

tiger1873

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 702 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 340777
  • Joined: 09/20/2014
  • Location:United States
GolfWRX Likes : 331

Posted 10 July 2018 - 11:17 AM

View Postheavy_hitter, on 10 July 2018 - 09:44 AM, said:

Just because they are ranked doesn't mean they are a good teacher or a good fit.


I am not saying you need a ranked teacher to teach a kid in fact a local pro's are very good and can help build a good foundation.

I am talking about coaches who say there the best out there because they had player X under their wing so their the best. I am fine with that marketing but I would expect if your been doing instructions with juniors for more then 10 years and had a lot success that other PGA pro's would recognize them for their work.

I talked to very high ranked teachers who everyone here would recognize about my daughter and I have to say they are all very very good but also very busy.  The result is you often can't see them that much which can be an issue with scheduling.

Talking to the non ranked teachers with no certification the style is very different from well know teachers in their style.  I am not sure I believe them 100% on their claims or if they have a new style that just works.

Edited by tiger1873, 10 July 2018 - 11:18 AM.


9

#10 heavy_hitter

heavy_hitter

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,647 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 366715
  • Joined: 03/16/2015
GolfWRX Likes : 2211

Posted 10 July 2018 - 11:23 AM

View Posttiger1873, on 10 July 2018 - 11:17 AM, said:

View Postheavy_hitter, on 10 July 2018 - 09:44 AM, said:

Just because they are ranked doesn't mean they are a good teacher or a good fit.


I am not saying you need a ranked teacher to teach a kid in fact a local pro's are very good and can help build a good foundation.

I am talking about coaches who say there the best out there because they had player X under their wing so their the best. I am fine with that marketing but I would expect if your been doing instructions with juniors for more then 10 years and had a lot success that other PGA pro's would recognize them for their work.

I talked to very high ranked teachers who everyone here would recognize about my daughter and I have to say they are all very very good but also very busy.  The result is you often can't see them that much which can be an issue with scheduling.

Talking to the non ranked teachers with no certification the style is very different from well know teachers in their style.  I am not sure I believe them 100% on their claims or if they have a new style that just works.

Sometimes it is a matter of having that one player fall into their lap.


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


10

#11 wildcatden

wildcatden

    China Cat Sunflower

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 599 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 481904
  • Joined: 09/14/2017
  • Location:The Bridges - 74.3/144
GolfWRX Likes : 598

Posted 10 July 2018 - 11:39 AM

Many a career in any profession has been built upon fortuity.

11

#12 leezer99

leezer99

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 961 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 94152
  • Joined: 09/10/2009
GolfWRX Likes : 928

Posted 10 July 2018 - 02:44 PM

View Posttiger1873, on 10 July 2018 - 11:17 AM, said:

View Postheavy_hitter, on 10 July 2018 - 09:44 AM, said:

Just because they are ranked doesn't mean they are a good teacher or a good fit.


I am not saying you need a ranked teacher to teach a kid in fact a local pro's are very good and can help build a good foundation.

I am talking about coaches who say there the best out there because they had player X under their wing so their the best. I am fine with that marketing but I would expect if your been doing instructions with juniors for more then 10 years and had a lot success that other PGA pro's would recognize them for their work.

I talked to very high ranked teachers who everyone here would recognize about my daughter and I have to say they are all very very good but also very busy.  The result is you often can't see them that much which can be an issue with scheduling.

Talking to the non ranked teachers with no certification the style is very different from well know teachers in their style.  I am not sure I believe them 100% on their claims or if they have a new style that just works.

Can confirm that scheduling with a top ranked instructor can be difficult since they are being pulled to PGA events or to pro's private course they play at.

source: son sees a top ranked instructor

12



0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors