Jump to content

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Embarrassing club


44 replies to this topic

#31 asw7576

asw7576

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,105 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 371961
  • Joined: 04/19/2015
  • Handicap:25
GolfWRX Likes : 222

Posted 10 July 2018 - 03:10 PM

Embarassing club = dirty, unpolished (don't get enough maintenence) and the score card is above 100 .

Drivers : Taylormade RBZ S2, JetSpeed, SLDR S
Fairways : Taylormade SLDR S, Callaway X2 Hot
Hybrids : Taylormade RBZ S2, SLDRS S
Irons : Mizuno JPX 800 HD, Yamaha Inpres X Z Cavity 2013 & Z 2016, Maruman Titus & X1
Wedges : Mizuno T4
Putters : Oddyssey Tank 2 balls, Works 2 fangs
Shoes : Footjoy DNA

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


1

#32 canthitathreewood

canthitathreewood

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 187 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 479510
  • Joined: 08/19/2017
  • Location:Kansas
  • Handicap:0
  • Ebay ID:tocliffor1
GolfWRX Likes : 213

Posted 10 July 2018 - 03:25 PM

I still have this thing in my bag.  I still love it and have no plans on replacing it but it is beyond ugly.
Posted Image
Play Hard!

2

#33 asw7576

asw7576

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,105 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 371961
  • Joined: 04/19/2015
  • Handicap:25
GolfWRX Likes : 222

Posted 10 July 2018 - 03:32 PM

View Postcanthitathreewood, on 10 July 2018 - 03:25 PM, said:

I still have this thing in my bag.  I still love it and have no plans on replacing it but it is beyond ugly.
Posted Image

Show us how ugly it is ... :)
Drivers : Taylormade RBZ S2, JetSpeed, SLDR S
Fairways : Taylormade SLDR S, Callaway X2 Hot
Hybrids : Taylormade RBZ S2, SLDRS S
Irons : Mizuno JPX 800 HD, Yamaha Inpres X Z Cavity 2013 & Z 2016, Maruman Titus & X1
Wedges : Mizuno T4
Putters : Oddyssey Tank 2 balls, Works 2 fangs
Shoes : Footjoy DNA

3

#34 JBent9610

JBent9610

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 285 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 24311
  • Joined: 01/20/2007
GolfWRX Likes : 114

Posted 10 July 2018 - 07:12 PM

I had started to build an ugly bag of clubs. Ideally, my WITB would have been:

Driver: KZG KT01
FW: Hippo Hex, PRGR Egg Spoon (original)
Irons: Maltby Outburst, Slingers (VAS was too obvious of a choice)
Wedge: Bruce Sizemore, Squedge
Putter: Original Futura, Nike Method Concept

I only managed to get both of the fairway woods and a Maltby Outburst gap wedge before I got interested in other "normal" clubs and kind of forgot about the ugly bag. Maybe someday I'll go back to trying to complete it. I don't know if the KZG driver and Bruce Sizemore were ever sold as I never saw one for sale after a ton of searches.

With that said, the Hippo Hex fairway wood is one of the most closed face clubs I have ever seen. It really messes with your head at address. The original PRGR Egg Spoon is the worst sounding club I have ever heard, but it's actually pretty easy to hit a long way (after adding tungsten rubber weight pads and several strips of lead tape).

My current driver is an Adams Fast12 LS, but I use a Hammer driver headcover on it.
Adams Fast 12LS 10.5°
Adams Super LS 18°
Cleveland Halo 19°, 22°
Callaway X-20 5-PW
Ping ISI W2
Snake Eyes 685BX 54°, 60°
Odyssey WHP 2-Ball

4

#35 Sir edward of putternut

Sir edward of putternut

    DARTH SMUG

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,030 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 401902
  • Joined: 11/05/2015
  • Location:Burbank
GolfWRX Likes : 727

Posted 10 July 2018 - 09:12 PM

View PostJBent9610, on 10 July 2018 - 07:12 PM, said:

I had started to build an ugly bag of clubs. Ideally, my WITB would have been:

Driver: KZG KT01
FW: Hippo Hex, PRGR Egg Spoon (original)
Irons: Maltby Outburst, Slingers (VAS was too obvious of a choice)
Wedge: Bruce Sizemore, Squedge
Putter: Original Futura, Nike Method Concept

I only managed to get both of the fairway woods and a Maltby Outburst gap wedge before I got interested in other "normal" clubs and kind of forgot about the ugly bag. Maybe someday I'll go back to trying to complete it. I don't know if the KZG driver and Bruce Sizemore were ever sold as I never saw one for sale after a ton of searches.

With that said, the Hippo Hex fairway wood is one of the most closed face clubs I have ever seen. It really messes with your head at address. The original PRGR Egg Spoon is the worst sounding club I have ever heard, but it's actually pretty easy to hit a long way (after adding tungsten rubber weight pads and several strips of lead tape).

My current driver is an Adams Fast12 LS, but I use a Hammer driver headcover on it.
I found a bag sitting outside a dumpster once and wonder of wonders, there was a hippo driver with a fluctuating rainbowish colored head.
Also a tour exotic steel shaft three wood, cobra ss irons that seemed to have a tumor on the hosel, all in a bag that smelled like it was occupied by a chain smoking midget. I actually took it cuz the irons had old school 6.0 fcm shafts and i was gonna go all Dr. Frankenstein on them but then six months past and i tossed them. Sorry, weird tangent. Hippo flex

Edited by Sir edward of putternut, 10 July 2018 - 09:13 PM.

2005 taylormade 2005 TP CB (3-pw)
Cleveland 588 forged
Mizuno mp14
714ap2
Ping s55
J40 cb
Cobra mbs
Cobra cbs
Tourstage x blade
Mp 64
Mp 62


SRIXON Z545 MAAYIZAKI ASHA 4X
Srixon z745
Tm m2
Jdm sldr 430(darth fader)

BYRON MORGAN 007
Wilson 8802
Cameron monterey
Odyssey 7s


HoganTK15 WEDGES 51-59

COBRA LTD PRO 4 WD

Titleist Tmb 2 Iron

5

#36 LaymanM

LaymanM

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,398 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 130511
  • Joined: 06/11/2011
  • Location:Cincinnati, OH
GolfWRX Likes : 450

Posted 11 July 2018 - 07:03 AM

My clubs only embarrass me when they don't hit the ball well lol
Callaway GBB Epic Sub Zero 9
PING G5 2, 3, 4 hybrid
Callaway Apex MB 5-AW
Tommy Armour TA1 5-Gw (on order)
Callaway Mack Daddy Forged 56/60
Bettinardi BB1 2016

6

#37 Rk5

Rk5

    Newbie

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 472354
  • Joined: 06/22/2017
  • Location:Northen Ireland
GolfWRX Likes : 3

Posted 11 July 2018 - 07:12 AM

Played a Mizuno Mp H4 3 iron for a while but got tired of having to clean up the vomit every time I took it out.
Callaway XR16 9.0* Motore Speeder 665 Stiff
Callaway XR 3 wood Project X LZ 6.0
Titleist 915HD 17.5* Aldila Rogue Black 85 Stiff
Titleist 816 H2 21* Fujikura Atmos Tour Spec HB 8S
MIzuno MP60 4-PW S300
Vokey F Grind Steel Grey 52.08*
Vokey M Grind Black 58.08*
2012 Scotty Cameron Newport Select

7

#38 81PING

81PING

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,390 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 210015
  • Joined: 11/05/2012
  • Location:Ontario
  • Ebay ID:mattykracks
GolfWRX Likes : 558

Posted 11 July 2018 - 07:31 AM

Mine is a Nike vapor fly fairway...

That light blue crown with neon check gets me all kinds of comments.  Fortunately I hit it straighter than anything else I own....not sure why.

Edited by 81PING, 11 July 2018 - 07:34 AM.

COBRA LTD w. Hzrdus Red
WISHON 919 w. Hzrdus Red
TAYLORMADE Issue Aeroburner w. Tensei Blue
PING G25 w. Tensei Blue
PING I200 w. AWT 2.0
PING Glide 2.0 Stealth
MannKrafted Carbon WB Rattler
Xenon Copper Wide X
SGC 902

8

#39 lefty1978

lefty1978

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 494200
  • Joined: 02/20/2018
  • Location:Charlotte, NC
GolfWRX Likes : 33

Posted 11 July 2018 - 08:41 AM

View Postchippa13, on 10 July 2018 - 03:02 PM, said:

I'm not embarrassed at all but I have 3 clubs like it in my bag, the 12.5*, 17*, and 21* Controllers all proudly get played. I get more comments from strangers on how well I can hit them, relatively speaking, of course.
How do you like the 12.5*? I have thought about picking up on ebay since they are dirt cheap.

Edited by lefty1978, 11 July 2018 - 08:42 AM.


9

#40 DavePelz4

DavePelz4

    Legend

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 22,528 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 69051
  • Joined: 11/10/2008
  • Location:A golf course in the Chicago area.
GolfWRX Likes : 23200

Posted 11 July 2018 - 08:58 AM

My clubs are more embarrassed by my play than I am by them.


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


10

#41 bmurph

bmurph

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 383 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 363473
  • Joined: 02/22/2015
  • Location:Buffalo
  • Handicap:15
GolfWRX Likes : 129

Posted 11 July 2018 - 08:59 AM

I play a Nike VRS 3 Wood, the one after the generally approved VR tour series / before the generally hated covert series.  Not embarrassed about it but certainly not a club to brag about.  I bought it for $30 on the bay because I had the 5 wood that I loved but have since replaced that with a hybrid, I don't particularly like the 3 wood but still haven't replace it for no reason other than I'm cheap and figure I can't hit any 3 wood all that well so why bother.

Edited by bmurph, 11 July 2018 - 09:01 AM.


11

#42 KAndyMan

KAndyMan

    Newbie

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 497560
  • Joined: 03/31/2018
  • Location:MI
  • Handicap:many
GolfWRX Likes : 32

Posted 11 July 2018 - 04:02 PM

View PostSir edward of putternut, on 10 July 2018 - 09:12 PM, said:

View PostJBent9610, on 10 July 2018 - 07:12 PM, said:

I had started to build an ugly bag of clubs. Ideally, my WITB would have been:

Driver: KZG KT01
FW: Hippo Hex, PRGR Egg Spoon (original)
Irons: Maltby Outburst, Slingers (VAS was too obvious of a choice)
Wedge: Bruce Sizemore, Squedge
Putter: Original Futura, Nike Method Concept

I only managed to get both of the fairway woods and a Maltby Outburst gap wedge before I got interested in other "normal" clubs and kind of forgot about the ugly bag. Maybe someday I'll go back to trying to complete it. I don't know if the KZG driver and Bruce Sizemore were ever sold as I never saw one for sale after a ton of searches.

With that said, the Hippo Hex fairway wood is one of the most closed face clubs I have ever seen. It really messes with your head at address. The original PRGR Egg Spoon is the worst sounding club I have ever heard, but it's actually pretty easy to hit a long way (after adding tungsten rubber weight pads and several strips of lead tape).

My current driver is an Adams Fast12 LS, but I use a Hammer driver headcover on it.
I found a bag sitting outside a dumpster once and wonder of wonders, there was a hippo driver with a fluctuating rainbowish colored head.
Also a tour exotic steel shaft three wood, cobra ss irons that seemed to have a tumor on the hosel, all in a bag that smelled like it was occupied by a chain smoking midget. I actually took it cuz the irons had old school 6.0 fcm shafts and i was gonna go all Dr. Frankenstein on them but then six months past and i tossed them. Sorry, weird tangent. Hippo flex


Ive been looking for a set of those FCM shafts!!!! (not joking)

12

#43 KAndyMan

KAndyMan

    Newbie

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 497560
  • Joined: 03/31/2018
  • Location:MI
  • Handicap:many
GolfWRX Likes : 32

Posted 11 July 2018 - 04:07 PM

I have an old Nike SQ driver i painted pepto bismuth pink to match a club i made for my daughter. 90% of the head is pink. I took it to the range as a joke and of course i hit the thing longer and straighter than my xhot and f8+. Guess Ill just deal with the long punch shots from the trees bc that thing cannot be taken seriously. Well depends on who im playing with it might make an appearance or 3.

13

#44 Carl Spackler3

Carl Spackler3

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 648 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 136528
  • Joined: 08/15/2011
GolfWRX Likes : 416

Posted 11 July 2018 - 05:59 PM

View PostNaptime, on 09 July 2018 - 07:17 PM, said:

I hit pink SuperSofts.  Nobody steals them and easy to find in snow or fall leaves.
the fact that you play in snows gives you badass status in my book
Titleist 915 D2
Ping G 3 W
Ping G 5W
Ping G25 Hybrid
Mizuno JPX 900 hot metal 5-GW
Vokey 52-08 sm4
Vokey 56-14 sm6
Odyssey White Hot RX2 ( but it better be careful)

14

#45 Stonewalled

Stonewalled

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,185 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 311179
  • Joined: 04/25/2014
  • Location:Manitoba
  • Ebay ID:stonewalljim
GolfWRX Likes : 501

Posted 11 July 2018 - 10:20 PM

I play in a men's league where 90% of the guys have garage sale clubs.

Me being a club junkie  and proud WRX member i fall into the 10% ok maybe the  .01% that has WRX current equipment.  I keep things low key golf bag wise and try to fit in. Usually get "What kind of shafts are in those irons" ??

Recently had Tom Slighter flow neck a X5r for me with a few bells and whistles.  

Kinda feel embarrassed to bring that thing out when everyone else is using a $5 putter.

Definitely do not mention it cost me more  than the standard $5.00


15



0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors