Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Last weekend I played a course with a dogleg par 3.

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 Burt Chance

Burt Chance

I'm just here for the free beer.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 311969
GolfWRX Likes : 418

Posted 09 July 2018 - 03:57 PM

I'm talking legit dogleg. You had to hit a MASSIVE cut (RH golfer) to hit the middle of the green (or anywhere near the middle). If you hit a dead straight bullet, you may catch the left side of the green.

I'd never seen anything like that before. I ended up hitting it about 20 yards left of the green (on purpose) and somehow got up and down.

(This was hole 17 at Holiday Golf Course in Panama City Beach. The back tees were the only set of tees that turned the whole into a dogleg. The other 4 sets aimed right at the green)

Nike Vapor Speed TW Driver 10.5 °
TM M2 3W-15°
Nike Vapor Fly Pro 2 Iron 17°
TaylorMade M1 3 Rescue 19°
TaylorMade RSi TP Forged 4-PW
Nike Engage 50 & 54 ° SS  60° DS
Ping Karsten 1959 Anser 2

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#2 davep043

davep043

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,364 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 489076
  • Handicap:4.2
GolfWRX Likes : 1051

Posted 09 July 2018 - 05:03 PM

Burt Chance, on 09 July 2018 - 03:57 PM, said:

I'm talking legit dogleg. You had to hit a MASSIVE cut (RH golfer) to hit the middle of the green (or anywhere near the middle). If you hit a dead straight bullet, you may catch the left side of the green.

I'd never seen anything like that before. I ended up hitting it about 20 yards left of the green (on purpose) and somehow got up and down.

(This was hole 17 at Holiday Golf Course in Panama City Beach. The back tees were the only set of tees that turned the whole into a dogleg. The other 4 sets aimed right at the green)
So let's get this straight.  This is a basic par-3 hole for most players.  For the absolute BEST golfers (the only ones who should be on the back tees) they've made it more demanding.  And that's a bad thing?
Check out #13 at Blackwolf Run's River Course.  From the back tees, its either a draw, starting over the river, or a high long iron over a huge tree.  From the "normal" tees, its a nice straight shot.

#3 larryw

larryw

lov_betti

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 208887
  • Handicap:3.6
GolfWRX Likes : 53

Posted 09 July 2018 - 05:07 PM

OK, it peaked my interest.

Have to agree that it definitely is a dogleg par 3. The flyover on the website even shows the camera flying a big right turn as it moves from the tee to the green.

However, in looking at Google Earth, to be fair?  It looks like you can go over the two VERY tall trees on the corner - or even go between them since they are the very tall but very skinny type trees. (Sorry don't know what type but look like very tall Palm trees). :swoon:

Looks like it would be a fun hole to play - at least once.
TM R1 driver
Mizuno JPX 850 3W
Mizuno JPX850 19, hybrid
Callaway CR16 4-pw irons
Ping Tour-W 56/14 SW
Mizuno MP-T5 52/09, 58/08 wedges
Bettinardi Studio Stock #5 putter

#4 mark m

mark m

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,386 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 44392
GolfWRX Likes : 901

Posted 09 July 2018 - 05:28 PM

Years ago in a pro-am we played a hole like this. We got up on the tee box and you could not see a flagstick. The tee markers were placed on the far right side. The tee was wide - so if you walked about 30 yards to the left you could see the flagstick on the far right of the green. (Some trees blocked the view of the right side of the green from the markers. At first we though the group in front had forgot to replace the flagstick.) Sounds similar to your experience(?) Basically, it was a carny set-up.

Our pro says, "what we have here guys is a dogleg par 3!" LMAO.  

And I have played the River Course from the Black tees - and you could clearly see the flagstick on #13 from the markers. It is a tough shot. There are tough par 3's on all 4 courses at Kohler.

EDIT: here is a quick video of #4 at Keller Golf Course in MN. It hosted a tour event way back in the day. (50's and 60's) There is a big tree right in the way. You have to do a Joe Washington there - go under or over. (You Sooner fans will appreciate the reference.) You can see the flagstick from the tee box. When they renovated a few years ago - the tree was left in place as that was the consensus of the patrons/golfers.

http://keller.flyoverguys.com/hole-4/

Edited by mark m, 09 July 2018 - 05:44 PM.

Fit at Totally Driven:
Titleist 910D3 8.5 Oban Devotion 05Flex 75g
TM Aeroburner TP 3W - X Flex
TM R15 TP #3 - Fuji X Flex
Mizuno JPX 900 Forged 4-PW - KBS C-Taper X
Cleveland RTX-3 CB 50/10
Cleveland RTX-3 56/11
Vokey SM6 60/08
Newport 2.5

#5 larrybud

larrybud

Legend

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,532 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 21167
  • Handicap:2.0
GolfWRX Likes : 4001

Posted 09 July 2018 - 07:52 PM

Just lazy course design or crappy course maintenance.

#6 cardoustie

cardoustie

haha, we don't play for 5's

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 65255
  • Handicap:3.6
GolfWRX Likes : 6592

Posted 09 July 2018 - 08:23 PM

I played there a few times, mid iron over the tops of the palms
Ping G400max 10.5* Aldila Xtorsion 60x
Callaway GBB 3w 16* Mitsu Diamana BB 63x
Ping G25 7w 20* Aldila NVS Pink 85x
Callaway Apex 4h 23* Matrix Altus Red 92sx
Callaway Apex 5h 26* Matrix HQ3 Altus 92x
Ping s55 6i - PW Nippon 1150ghx
Titleist Vokey TVD SM2 50*  54*  60*  64*
Titleist Scotty x7M

#7 MadGolfer76

MadGolfer76

Admiration is the state furthest from understanding.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,719 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 89700
GolfWRX Likes : 9779

Posted 09 July 2018 - 08:27 PM

Sounds like a candidate for a future U.S. Open.
Titleist 915D3 9.5/Diamana Whiteboard 63
??
Mizuno Mp-4 3-Pw/Dynamic Gold s300
Mizuno T7 52, 58/Dynamic Gold s300
Scotty Cameron Futura X7
Bridgestone Tour B XS

WITB

#8 Sean2

Sean2

#TheWRX (Callaway Trip)

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 30,017 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 29539
  • Ebay ID:None
GolfWRX Likes : 17368

Posted 09 July 2018 - 08:29 PM

I played a par 5 that was a sharp dog leg left. The problem was you could hit no more than a 9-iron off the tee, unless you wanted to go into the woods. And, you were hitting the tee shot through a narrow corridor of very tall trees so no way to go over. And, the dog leg was so sharp there was no way to bend a shot around the trees. Your next shot was a good 300 yards.
Callaway Rogue
Callaway GBB Epic 16º/20º/24º
Callaway Steelhead XR 25º
Callaway Apex CF16 6-AW
Callaway MD3/MD-PM 54º/58º
Callaway "O" Works #7

#9 HatsForBats

HatsForBats

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,152 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 433112
  • Handicap:7
GolfWRX Likes : 573

Posted 10 July 2018 - 07:26 AM

Not a fan of this type of design. I think a better design would be to build a green angled to better accept a left to right shot and then well bunkered on the right side. Getting rid of the trees or at least having them much shorter in height.

#10 Ferguson

Ferguson

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,172 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 371587
  • Handicap:6.5
GolfWRX Likes : 4387

Posted 10 July 2018 - 07:51 AM

Sounds like a lay up hole.  

How was the rest of the course?

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#11 Rapatt95

Rapatt95

wow

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 454 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 406840
  • Handicap:lol
GolfWRX Likes : 262

Posted 10 July 2018 - 07:53 AM

Sean2, on 09 July 2018 - 08:29 PM, said:

I played a par 5 that was a sharp dog leg left. The problem was you could hit no more than a 9-iron off the tee, unless you wanted to go into the woods. And, you were hitting the tee shot through a narrow corridor of very tall trees so no way to go over. And, the dog leg was so sharp there was no way to bend a shot around the trees. Your next shot was a good 300 yards.
Where was this at?
WITB:

Taylormade R1 Black 10* Aldila Tour Blue ATX75tx
Adams Tight Lies Tour 18* 5w Aldila Tour Blue 65s
Cobra T-Rail 19* 3H GD Tour AD 65s
Ben Hogan PTx 22*-46* Project X 6.5 (Thank you GolfWRX and Ben Hogan!)
Ping Gorge Tour 50*
Callaway Mack Daddy 2 TG 54*
Callaway Mack Daddy 2 TG 58*
Ben Hogan Baby Ben

#12 Bad9

Bad9

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,683 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 94897
  • Handicap:9.2
GolfWRX Likes : 1837

Posted 10 July 2018 - 07:55 AM

My home courses has a par 3 that's not really a dogleg but it might as well be. 150yds with the right half of the green is blocked by trees-the first tree is about 20yds off the tee box and another, taller group are at bout 80yds off the tee. Stupid hole. If you can't hit it over threes(at least half of our members can't you have to try and hit a 20yd fade if the pin is on the right.

Edit: Not sure if you get the proper perspective but here are a couple of pics. They were taken on the 150yd mark to the middle of the green. The two closest birches are 25-30ft high. The group of trees midway to the green are much higher.

Attached Files

Edited by Bad9, 12 July 2018 - 07:21 AM.

Ping G SFT 12°/Phenom 50 r flex
Maltby Logic Tech 5w/Xcaliber FW r flex
Maltby Logic Tech 7w/Xcaliber FW r flex
Maltby KE4 Tour 25°/Xcaliber HY r flex
Ping G 5-U/Xcaliber r flex
Maltby Tricept 54°/Xcaliber r flex
Maltby Tricept 58°/Xcaliber r flex
Mizuno Bettinardi C06

#13 596

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,434 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 122006
GolfWRX Likes : 1424

Posted 10 July 2018 - 08:27 AM

Par 3 at a course, can't remember which one, in Show Low, AZ.  You can barely see the tip of a flag stick in the distance.  Its a huge drop from tee to green and the trees over the cliff are so tall that you have to hit a shot up and over the trees.  When you get to the green, you find a flag stick that is at least 15 feet tall.  It had to be that tall to see it from the tee box.

Another one in Parker AZ.   From the tee box you see nothing.  And I mean nothing in front of you but a huge drop off.  You have to walk to the front edge of the tee box and look straight down to the green over the cliff.   Mark the flag on a rock in the far distance in the mountains.  Walk back to the tee area, aim at the rock you chose and let it rip.  It was a super fun hole to play.  My gap wedge shot plugged in the green.

#14 TLUBulldogGolf

TLUBulldogGolf

Sasquatch

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,278 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 32821
  • Handicap:+1.8
  • Ebay ID:ajvesey08
GolfWRX Likes : 310

Posted 10 July 2018 - 08:52 AM

davep043, on 09 July 2018 - 05:03 PM, said:

So let's get this straight.  This is a basic par-3 hole for most players.  For the absolute BEST golfers (the only ones who should be on the back tees) they've made it more demanding.  And that's a bad thing?
Check out #13 at Blackwolf Run's River Course.  From the back tees, its either a draw, starting over the river, or a high long iron over a huge tree.  From the "normal" tees, its a nice straight shot.

Having to curve it around a tree on a par 3 is a bad thing yes. I'm guessing people that should be playing these tees can just take it over them. You can take it over the tree at Blackwolf Run.
Titleist 917 D3 9.5* Kiyoshi Black 65-05
Titleist 917 F3 15* Diamana D+ White 80-X
Titleist 818 H2 19* Tensei 100-TX
Mizuno JPX 900 Tour 3-9 PX 6.5
Titleist Vokey SM7 Raw 46* (Bent to 47*) F Grind PX 6.5
Titleist Vokey SM7 Raw 54* S Grind PX 6.5
Titleist Vokey SM6 Raw 60* M Grind X100
Odyssey Works #7 w/ SuperStroke Pistol GT

#15 davep043

davep043

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,364 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 489076
  • Handicap:4.2
GolfWRX Likes : 1051

Posted 10 July 2018 - 09:07 AM

TLUBulldogGolf, on 10 July 2018 - 08:52 AM, said:

davep043, on 09 July 2018 - 05:03 PM, said:

Having to curve it around a tree on a par 3 is a bad thing yes. I'm guessing people that should be playing these tees can just take it over them. You can take it over the tree at Blackwolf Run.
Cardoustie said in post #6 that he's hit it over the trees, so there are at least two ways to skin that particular cat.  The OP doesn't list his handicap, but its possible that he shouldn't have been back there.  Personally, I have a really hard time hitting a cut, so I'd struggle there, but that's on me, not on the design.

#16 Lagavulin62

Lagavulin62

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,166 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 445162
  • Handicap:15
GolfWRX Likes : 386

Posted 10 July 2018 - 11:53 AM

I have never seen anything like that on a par 3, but at a few cheap courses I have seen the par 4 that required a 7 iron or less off the tee to get around the ridiculous “dogleg”. Any course that puts obstructions like a tree on a par 3 that dictates ball flight from the tee(ANY TEE) is just mickey mouse golf to me. There is nothing wrong with hiding pins behind traps or edges of green that benefit from a type of shot, but manipulating air space from the tee box is just unfair. Golf is not miniture golf. A player should have options to access a pin, he shouldn’t be forced to hit only one shot. I don’t think a player should be forced to play an unfair setup just because he’s playing the back tees. There is a difference between difficult setups and unfair/mickey mouse setups.

#17 rooski

rooski

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 423898
GolfWRX Likes : 11

Posted 10 July 2018 - 12:10 PM

Lagavulin62, on 10 July 2018 - 11:53 AM, said:

I have never seen anything like that on a par 3, but at a few cheap courses I have seen the par 4 that required a 7 iron or less off the tee to get around the ridiculous "dogleg". Any course that puts obstructions like a tree on a par 3 that dictates ball flight from the tee(ANY TEE) is just mickey mouse golf to me. There is nothing wrong with hiding pins behind traps or edges of green that benefit from a type of shot, but manipulating air space from the tee box is just unfair. Golf is not miniture golf. A player should have options to access a pin, he shouldn't be forced to hit only one shot. I don't think a player should be forced to play an unfair setup just because he's playing the back tees. There is a difference between difficult setups and unfair/mickey mouse setups.

Agreed.. Anytime a shot in the middle of the fairway or on the tee is blocked by a tree without a shot to the pin, I just roll my eyes.. There's a straight Par 3 at the course I grew up on that has a giant tree that blocks a draw from the tee box.. I've always used the term "goofy golf" to describe it..

Another good example is like you mentioned.. When I'm forced to tee off on a Par 4 or Par 5 with an 8 iron I chock it up to bad architecture

#18 heavy_hitter

heavy_hitter

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,248 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 366715
GolfWRX Likes : 1698

Posted 10 July 2018 - 12:49 PM

rooski, on 10 July 2018 - 12:10 PM, said:

Lagavulin62, on 10 July 2018 - 11:53 AM, said:

I have never seen anything like that on a par 3, but at a few cheap courses I have seen the par 4 that required a 7 iron or less off the tee to get around the ridiculous "dogleg". Any course that puts obstructions like a tree on a par 3 that dictates ball flight from the tee(ANY TEE) is just mickey mouse golf to me. There is nothing wrong with hiding pins behind traps or edges of green that benefit from a type of shot, but manipulating air space from the tee box is just unfair. Golf is not miniture golf. A player should have options to access a pin, he shouldn't be forced to hit only one shot. I don't think a player should be forced to play an unfair setup just because he's playing the back tees. There is a difference between difficult setups and unfair/mickey mouse setups.

Agreed.. Anytime a shot in the middle of the fairway or on the tee is blocked by a tree without a shot to the pin, I just roll my eyes.. There's a straight Par 3 at the course I grew up on that has a giant tree that blocks a draw from the tee box.. I've always used the term "goofy golf" to describe it..

Another good example is like you mentioned.. When I'm forced to tee off on a Par 4 or Par 5 with an 8 iron I chock it up to bad architecture

My home course has a couple of  goofy holes.

Number 3 is a Par 4 that has a hill with a bunker in it smack dab in the middle of the fairway.  You can't see anything over the hill it is so tall.  You have to drive up to the hill to make sure no one is on the other side so you don't hit them.  On the other side of this hill you have 40 yards of fairway with water to the left and OB to the right.  Just a dumb design of a hole.

Number 16 is a Par 5 with huge Oaks in the middle of the fairway about 80-100 yards out.  This isn't just one tree, it is a grouping of trees.  It is honestly silly.

#19 Barfolomew

Barfolomew

#worstWRXer

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 904 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 379468
GolfWRX Likes : 350

Posted 10 July 2018 - 03:23 PM

You didnt even say how long the hole is.....am I playin a high cut 3 wood or what?
G30 LS
M2 BMW
XR 4 Hybrid
OnOffOnAgain Kuros
Cleveland Blob
Square Strike
SeeMore Butts

#20 Lagavulin62

Lagavulin62

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,166 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 445162
  • Handicap:15
GolfWRX Likes : 386

Posted 10 July 2018 - 05:10 PM

Barfolomew, on 10 July 2018 - 03:23 PM, said:

You didnt even say how long the hole is.....am I playin a high cut 3 wood or what?

I looked it up and did the flyover. I think back are 185 maybe. It’s two palm trees maybe 2/3 way to hole on right. It looks like they have room for a back tee box to the left, unobstructed(lol). I say do that or cut them down. They are just palm trees they planted anyway. But here again distance is not the issue. They are in the way, it’s ridiculous.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#21 Barfolomew

Barfolomew

#worstWRXer

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 904 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 379468
GolfWRX Likes : 350

Posted 10 July 2018 - 05:41 PM

View PostLagavulin62, on 10 July 2018 - 05:10 PM, said:

View PostBarfolomew, on 10 July 2018 - 03:23 PM, said:

I looked it up and did the flyover. I think back are 185 maybe. It's two palm trees maybe 2/3 way to hole on right. It looks like they have room for a back tee box to the left, unobstructed(lol). I say do that or cut them down. They are just palm trees they planted anyway. But here again distance is not the issue. They are in the way, it's ridiculous.

I respect that I think too many holes arent interesting enough...if I designed a course it would have all kinds of goodies like that to make it a FUN course
G30 LS
M2 BMW
XR 4 Hybrid
OnOffOnAgain Kuros
Cleveland Blob
Square Strike
SeeMore Butts

#22 Sean2

Sean2

#TheWRX (Callaway Trip)

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 30,017 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 29539
  • Ebay ID:None
GolfWRX Likes : 17368

Posted 10 July 2018 - 08:27 PM

View PostRapatt95, on 10 July 2018 - 07:53 AM, said:

View PostSean2, on 09 July 2018 - 08:29 PM, said:

Where was this at?

I have been racking my brain, and I don't remember. It was probably a decade ago.
Callaway Rogue
Callaway GBB Epic 16º/20º/24º
Callaway Steelhead XR 25º
Callaway Apex CF16 6-AW
Callaway MD3/MD-PM 54º/58º
Callaway "O" Works #7

#23 Baitkiller

Baitkiller

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,359 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 359765
  • Handicap:Yes
GolfWRX Likes : 941

Posted 10 July 2018 - 09:10 PM

Son..when i was your age i would hit a shot right over that tree.

Dad, when you were my age thst tree was only 10' tall

Edited by Baitkiller, 10 July 2018 - 09:13 PM.

Turn over damnit!
Krank 9*  Formula 5 UST Tour
Adams 15* wasabi
XXIO pro 5
Adams Pro Gold Forged 3-46* / Steelfibers
Vanilla wedges 53 and 58*
Betti-1
K-sig

#24 KING246

KING246

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 257 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 368651
  • Handicap:3
GolfWRX Likes : 127

Posted 10 July 2018 - 09:14 PM

There's a course by my brother's house in Burbank, CA (DeBell) that has a crazy blind par three #12. You have to hit over the corner of a mountain and cannot even see the green from the blue tees. You also can't walk to the right and even scope the yardage because of a hill on the previous hole. Attached File  1531275258158.jpg   37.41K   6 downloads

#25 Kookaburra1966

Kookaburra1966

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 440076
  • Handicap:14
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 10 July 2018 - 11:30 PM

The best fun I ever had on a par 3 was this hole at Northbridge GC in the northern suburbs of Sydney (Australia).  It was so steep downhill you couldn't see the green past the front edge of the tee box, even on the most forward tees.  Phenomenal view across one of the inlets of Sydney Harbour to the mansions across the other side though.  You just hit the ball out into space and hope for the best ..

PS never more than a 7 iron so not exactly long either ...

Can't seem to add a picture so here's a link https://goo.gl/maps/vyFDg46gWks

Edited by Kookaburra1966, 10 July 2018 - 11:44 PM.

#26 Rapatt95

Rapatt95

wow

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 454 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 406840
  • Handicap:lol
GolfWRX Likes : 262

Posted 12 July 2018 - 12:15 PM

View PostSean2, on 10 July 2018 - 08:27 PM, said:

View PostRapatt95, on 10 July 2018 - 07:53 AM, said:

View PostSean2, on 09 July 2018 - 08:29 PM, said:

Where was this at?

I have been racking my brain, and I don't remember. It was probably a decade ago.
Was it in Pa?
WITB:

Taylormade R1 Black 10* Aldila Tour Blue ATX75tx
Adams Tight Lies Tour 18* 5w Aldila Tour Blue 65s
Cobra T-Rail 19* 3H GD Tour AD 65s
Ben Hogan PTx 22*-46* Project X 6.5 (Thank you GolfWRX and Ben Hogan!)
Ping Gorge Tour 50*
Callaway Mack Daddy 2 TG 54*
Callaway Mack Daddy 2 TG 58*
Ben Hogan Baby Ben

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors