Jump to content

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Ireland Conditions


  • Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 henniga

henniga

    Newbie

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 490162
  • Joined: 01/04/2018
  • Location:Iowa
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 09 July 2018 - 01:26 PM

Anybody have any first hand experience on the course conditions?  I've seen a couple pictures of Lahinch and Ballybunion looking pretty rough from lack of rain.  We are heading to SW Ireland in about 6 weeks for Lahinch, Ballybunion, Waterville, Old Head, etc and wondering if the turf is as bad as the few pictures I have seen.  I know it isn't going to be green and perfect and that's fine but the few pictures I have seen look like the entire course is burned.


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


1

#2 az2au

az2au

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,469 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 185434
  • Joined: 06/10/2012
  • Location:Scottsdale, AZ/New York, NY
  • Handicap:3.6
GolfWRX Likes : 638

Posted 09 July 2018 - 01:38 PM

I’ve only been fortunate to be there a couple of times when it looks like that. It is a blast to play that way. Links turf plays just fine brown. I’m hopeful that Scotland will still look like what I saw of Carnoustie when I’m there a month from now.

2

#3 hlca

hlca

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 401 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 360913
  • Joined: 02/03/2015
  • Location:California
GolfWRX Likes : 107

Posted 09 July 2018 - 01:56 PM

View Posthenniga, on 09 July 2018 - 01:26 PM, said:

Anybody have any first hand experience on the course conditions?  I've seen a couple pictures of Lahinch and Ballybunion looking pretty rough from lack of rain.  We are heading to SW Ireland in about 6 weeks for Lahinch, Ballybunion, Waterville, Old Head, etc and wondering if the turf is as bad as the few pictures I have seen.  I know it isn't going to be green and perfect and that's fine but the few pictures I have seen look like the entire course is burned.

@henniga -- I wonder if I will bump into you.  We're heading there that week as well.  Playing the Island, Lahinch, Ballybunion, Bantry Bay, and Old Head.
Callaway X2 Hot Driver 10.5*
TaylorMade RBZ Stage 2 3W 15*
TaylorMade Jetspeed 3H 19*
Callaway X2 Hot 5-AW
TaylorMade Tour Preferred 54*/ATV, 58*/10*
Nike Method MOD 60 34"

3

#4 FairwayFred

FairwayFred

    Major Winner

  • Sponsors
  • 3,352 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 149
  • Joined: 04/22/2005
  • Location:Hwy 97, Mile Marker 55
GolfWRX Likes : 1543

Posted 09 July 2018 - 01:57 PM

View Postaz2au, on 09 July 2018 - 01:38 PM, said:

Iíve only been fortunate to be there a couple of times when it looks like that. It is a blast to play that way. Links turf plays just fine brown. Iím hopeful that Scotland will still look like what I saw of Carnoustie when Iím there a month from now.

+1

That brown look is what they are going for in the summer.  I was just in Scotland and it was so pure.  One of my best friends is from Lahinch and he was just telling me how perfect it is right now.
FREE AGENT CLUB HO NO MO!
Ari Techner
National Custom Works nationalcustomworks.com
ari@nationalcustomworks.com
IG: @nationalcustom
Twitter: @WorksNational
(still a huge club HO)

4

#5 henniga

henniga

    Newbie

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 490162
  • Joined: 01/04/2018
  • Location:Iowa
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 09 July 2018 - 02:22 PM

View Postaz2au, on 09 July 2018 - 01:38 PM, said:

I’ve only been fortunate to be there a couple of times when it looks like that. It is a blast to play that way. Links turf plays just fine brown. I’m hopeful that Scotland will still look like what I saw of Carnoustie when I’m there a month from now.

We went to Norhern Ireland and Scotland in May 5 years ago and it was great.  We love firm and fast and it was great but it was much more green.  I was not aware that it got this brown in the summer so I was a little fearful that the greens would be bare and bumpy.


5

#6 henniga

henniga

    Newbie

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 490162
  • Joined: 01/04/2018
  • Location:Iowa
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 09 July 2018 - 02:30 PM

View Posthlca, on 09 July 2018 - 01:56 PM, said:

View Posthenniga, on 09 July 2018 - 01:26 PM, said:

Anybody have any first hand experience on the course conditions?  I've seen a couple pictures of Lahinch and Ballybunion looking pretty rough from lack of rain.  We are heading to SW Ireland in about 6 weeks for Lahinch, Ballybunion, Waterville, Old Head, etc and wondering if the turf is as bad as the few pictures I have seen.  I know it isn't going to be green and perfect and that's fine but the few pictures I have seen look like the entire course is burned.

@henniga -- I wonder if I will bump into you.  We're heading there that week as well.  Playing the Island, Lahinch, Ballybunion, Bantry Bay, and Old Head.

We will be there 8/20 - 8/28.  Playing Old Head, Ballybunion, Hogs Head, Waterville, Dooks, Tralee, Doonbeg, Lahinch and Killarney.  We may play an emergency 9 at Spanish Point after Doonbeg.

6

#7 davep043

davep043

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,321 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 489076
  • Joined: 12/20/2017
  • Location:Reston, VA, and Southern Pines, NC
  • Handicap:4.2
GolfWRX Likes : 1012

Posted 09 July 2018 - 02:55 PM

I just came back from a week in Scotland.  The courses in Ayr, on the southwest coast, did show some strain from the really warm dry spell they had in May/June.  Our caddie at Prestwick pointed out a few spots where they'd had to make some repairs.  It was absolutely fine to play, but the turf was a little thinner than I've seen in either Scotland or Ireland before.  In East Lothian the turf wasn't as stressed, and looked a little thicker and healthier.

7

#8 puttnforthe8

puttnforthe8

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,495 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 88323
  • Joined: 07/13/2009
GolfWRX Likes : 435

Posted 10 July 2018 - 10:28 PM

Courses in Ireland are perfect.... was just there 5 weeks ago...played east and west coast.  far from "pretty rough".  

I am sure there may be some drying and burnt spots since then, but I cannot see the courses being bad at all.  I lived there for many years and even in the worst spells they were never bad.

8

#9 ZMO

ZMO

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 260 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 106043
  • Joined: 04/09/2010
GolfWRX Likes : 26

Posted 12 July 2018 - 03:08 AM

Ask for Dave at Ballybunion.....Great caddy I used last year. He used to live in the states for a bit....Georgia area. Another young guy James...he was with our grouping...Great guy. Tell him Zach w no tees sent ya!

9

#10 adschus

adschus

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 192 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 442448
  • Joined: 10/04/2016
  • Location:Chicagoland
  • Handicap:10
GolfWRX Likes : 74

Posted 12 July 2018 - 02:53 PM

Played RCD, Ardglass, Portstewart, Royal Portrush, Lahinch, Old Head, and Powerscourt over the past three weeks. Hasn't rained in 4+ weeks in the entire region, temps are high 60s to high 70s everywhere with little, <15 mph winds. Might as well be Spain. Anyways, fast and firm everywhere. Was so much fun. Aim for the front of all greens. They water the greens but they are still rock solid. Difficult to hold. Play RCD as much as you can if you plan to play.


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


10

#11 Edaw68

Edaw68

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,211 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 309951
  • Joined: 04/20/2014
  • Location:Pullman, WA
  • Handicap:5
GolfWRX Likes : 882

Posted 12 July 2018 - 07:10 PM

View PostZMO, on 12 July 2018 - 03:08 AM, said:

Ask for Dave at Ballybunion.....Great caddy I used last year. He used to live in the states for a bit....Georgia area. Another young guy James...he was with our grouping...Great guy. Tell him Zach w no tees sent ya!

Nice avatar.

11

#12 rusty04

rusty04

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 461262
  • Joined: 03/30/2017
  • Location:italy
  • Handicap:0
GolfWRX Likes : 19

Posted 14 July 2018 - 04:04 AM

A group of friends just returned from 2 weeks, the first in Dublin, the second they moved to Galway..they were lucky with weather, but told greens were in average conditions compared to previous years.
D callaway razr fit xtreme 9,5° w/ px blue 6.5
W titleist 906 f2 15° w/ aldila nv 95x
di titleist 503h 19° w/ dg x100
i ping s56 #4-pw w/ dg x100
w ping tour-s 52.12-56.12-60.ts w/ dg s400
p odyssey white hot 2ball 34"

12

#13 Chanceman

Chanceman

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 309 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 403162
  • Joined: 11/17/2015
  • Location:Australia
  • Handicap:19
GolfWRX Likes : 106

Posted 14 July 2018 - 06:43 AM

We are going in September, all the way around anti-clockwise RCD, Ardglass, RP, Castlerock, Ballyliffin, Donegal, Sligo, Enniscrone, Connemara, then the big 4, up to the Euro Club and then Portmarnock, Baltray and the Island. Brown, green, pale blue, I cannot wait.

13



0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors