Jump to content

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Righties that putt lefty


  • Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 jwellefson1

jwellefson1

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 468356
  • Joined: 05/20/2017
  • Location:Northern VA
  • Handicap:10
GolfWRX Likes : 40

Posted 09 July 2018 - 08:05 AM

Okay so I played golf with a guy who is right handed, but he putts left handed. I putt left-hand-low and was curious one day so i started using a lefty putter at a practice green and I was reading greens better, and i didn't notice any difference with speed. I was wondering if anyone on wrx does this and/or would know if putting left-handed was better for right-eye dominant people? Thanks and I appreciate the feedback!

Haikus are funny
But they don't always make sense
Refrigerator

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


1

#2 Boognish

Boognish

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 587 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 103723
  • Joined: 02/20/2010
  • Location:Houston, TX
  • Handicap:7.1
  • Ebay ID:turdferguson713
GolfWRX Likes : 166

Posted 09 July 2018 - 09:15 AM

My brother plays this way, swings right and putts left (right hand low).  It generates some puzzled looks from others, but it works for him.
Callaway 816 DBD 9* / Fuji Speeder Evo II 569-S
Callaway XR16 14* / Fubuki AX f75-S
Callaway X2Hot 5Deep 18.5*/ Aldila Tour Green 75-S
Callaway Apex Hybrid 20* & 23* / Fuji Pro 83-S
Srixon z765 5-9 / Modus 120-S
Mizuno S18 46*
Cleveland 588 RTX 2.0 52*
Callaway PM Grind 58*
Ping Vault 2.0 Ketsch

2

#3 Bobb3rdown

Bobb3rdown

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 392 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 501346
  • Joined: 05/09/2018
  • Location:Renton, WA
GolfWRX Likes : 108

Posted 09 July 2018 - 10:20 AM

I've done it before. My stroke was a lot better leading with my dominant hand. Was able to maintain my wrist angle very well. But my speed was way off. So it didn't last to long. Putting is the one place where anything goes. If it works. It works.
Titleist 910D3 8.5
Titleist 917f2 15
Titleist 816h2 19
Titleist Ap2 716 4-gw
Cleveland rtx3 54,58
Scotty Cameron Newport 2.6

3

#4 DavePelz4

DavePelz4

    Legend

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 23,241 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 69051
  • Joined: 11/10/2008
  • Location:A golf course in the Chicago area.
GolfWRX Likes : 24380

Posted 09 July 2018 - 10:37 AM

I have a Scotty Squareback that I turn around on short putts regularly.  Yesterday I was 5-6 with it from inside 6 feet.  My friends say it's because the back line is so small that you need to concentrate on hitting the ball on the equator.  I've tried going left hand low, right handed, but it just doesn't have the same effect.  From 20+ feet my distance control lefty isn't good but when I can hit it firmly into the back of the cup it seems so much easier.

4

#5 jwellefson1

jwellefson1

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 468356
  • Joined: 05/20/2017
  • Location:Northern VA
  • Handicap:10
GolfWRX Likes : 40

Posted 09 July 2018 - 12:43 PM

Hmm, I know Bobby Grace makes a two-way putter, maybe ill look into that route. I know Notah Begay used to use a bullseye and would switch sides based on break, so maybe its not too crazy after all

Haikus are funny
But they don't always make sense
Refrigerator

5

#6 golfgirlrobin

golfgirlrobin

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,083 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 247221
  • Joined: 04/24/2013
  • Location:Northern California
  • Handicap:2.0
GolfWRX Likes : 4587

Posted 09 July 2018 - 12:49 PM

I’m a righty who putts left handed.  (Right eye dominant).  Spent years fighting the yips and started knocking the short ones in with the back edge of my putter just to get the ball in the hole.  Friends remarked on how much better my stroke looked left handed.  Picked up a left handed putter just for laughs and it immediately felt more comfortable.  Took a few rounds to get the speed dialed in but it was definitely worth the effort.  I am a significantly better putter now.  

I putted left hand low as a righty and kept that when I went lefty.  That’s just how my hands feel the most natural.

Oh, and I can’t do anything else left handed.  This is it.  Tried to hit a wedge lefty and almost broke my own ankle.
Driver:     Ping G400 Max 10.5*
Fairway:  Callaway Rogue 15*, 20* & 24*
Irons:       TaylorMade M CGB 6-SW
Wedges:  Callaway PM Grind 59* & 64*
Putter:      Ping Sigma G Ketsch B

6

#7 DavePelz4

DavePelz4

    Legend

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 23,241 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 69051
  • Joined: 11/10/2008
  • Location:A golf course in the Chicago area.
GolfWRX Likes : 24380

Posted 09 July 2018 - 12:56 PM

View Postgolfgirlrobin, on 09 July 2018 - 12:49 PM, said:

I’m a righty who putts left handed.  (Right eye dominant).  Spent years fighting the yips and started knocking the short ones in with the back edge of my putter just to get the ball in the hole.  Friends remarked on how much better my stroke looked left handed.  Picked up a left handed putter just for laughs and it immediately felt more comfortable.  Took a few rounds to get the speed dialed in but it was definitely worth the effort.  I am a significantly better putter now.  

I putted left hand low as a righty and kept that when I went lefty.  That’s just how my hands feel the most natural.

Oh, and I can’t do anything else left handed.  This is it.  Tried to hit a wedge lefty and almost broke my own ankle.

Hey GGR...did you do anything special, other than just rounds or practice, to get the distance down?  Your description is just about me to a T.

7

#8 golfgirlrobin

golfgirlrobin

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,083 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 247221
  • Joined: 04/24/2013
  • Location:Northern California
  • Handicap:2.0
GolfWRX Likes : 4587

Posted 09 July 2018 - 06:58 PM

View PostDavePelz4, on 09 July 2018 - 12:56 PM, said:

View Postgolfgirlrobin, on 09 July 2018 - 12:49 PM, said:

I’m a righty who putts left handed.  (Right eye dominant).  Spent years fighting the yips and started knocking the short ones in with the back edge of my putter just to get the ball in the hole.  Friends remarked on how much better my stroke looked left handed.  Picked up a left handed putter just for laughs and it immediately felt more comfortable.  Took a few rounds to get the speed dialed in but it was definitely worth the effort.  I am a significantly better putter now.  

I putted left hand low as a righty and kept that when I went lefty.  That’s just how my hands feel the most natural.

Oh, and I can’t do anything else left handed.  This is it.  Tried to hit a wedge lefty and almost broke my own ankle.

Hey GGR...did you do anything special, other than just rounds or practice, to get the distance down?  Your description is just about me to a T.

I really didn’t need any practice inside 15 feet.  Those felt completely comfortable right away.  Did do a few drills practicing putting to specific longer distances.  The toughest thing was getting the distance down on putts that go from one tier to another, especially uphill.  I play six days a week, so most “practice” was on course.  

The weird thing is that after about two months left handed, I can’t putt right handed, at all.  Can’t even figure out how to take the club back. I couldn’t go back to right handed even if I wanted to.
Driver:     Ping G400 Max 10.5*
Fairway:  Callaway Rogue 15*, 20* & 24*
Irons:       TaylorMade M CGB 6-SW
Wedges:  Callaway PM Grind 59* & 64*
Putter:      Ping Sigma G Ketsch B

8

#9 soap1984

soap1984

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 590 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 302819
  • Joined: 03/20/2014
  • Location:Toronto
GolfWRX Likes : 291

Posted 10 July 2018 - 08:19 AM

I have tried but opposite (lefty putting right handed) only in practice and like someone else said, I felt like my stroke is more consistent but could not get the speed correct.

For me it was mostly about eye dominance and I wanted my dominant (left) eye out front. two guys that I play do it and putt much better since going lefty.
M2- Hzrdus Black 6.0
0341x 3 wood
19 degree 0317 and G400 22 degree hybrids
0311T Gen2 5 -w (KBS C-taper lite)
0311t 52, 56, 60 (Romeo)
Bat Attack P

9

#10 RSinSG

RSinSG

    Major Winner

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 2,668 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 300931
  • Joined: 03/10/2014
  • Location:St George, UT (Formerly Palm Springs, CA)
  • Handicap:5.3
GolfWRX Likes : 2045

Posted 10 July 2018 - 09:07 AM

View Postgolfgirlrobin, on 09 July 2018 - 12:49 PM, said:



Oh, and I can’t do anything else left handed.  This is it.  Tried to hit a wedge lefty and almost broke my own ankle.

This would be a classic video. Guaranteed to go viral.

Ping G400 Tour AD DI6s
Ping G30 3 wood, 5 wood
Ben Hogan VTKR 21* hybrid
Ping G30 Irons 5-SW, Steel Fiber i95
Ping Glide 60* LW
Scotty Cameron Studio Blade (or) Scotty Cameron Fastback
Gamegolf

https://www.ledges.com/ Home course

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


10

#11 JDFish

JDFish

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 135069
  • Joined: 08/03/2011
  • Location:Pickerington, Ohio
  • Handicap:8
GolfWRX Likes : 191

Posted 10 July 2018 - 09:31 AM

My daughter plays leftie and switched to a right handed putter at the end of last season.  Starting out this season she says she is more consistent and likes the feel better.  Time will tell if she sticks with it.
Callaway Epic 9.0 Fujikura Atmos Black TS 6S
Callaway XR Pro 3 wood
Callaway XR 5 wood
Titleist 913H 21* hybrid
Ping i200 Nippon N.S.Pro Modus3 Tour 105S - 4-UW
Titleist Vokey SM6 54* and 58* S200
Evnroll ER8 33"

11

#12 duffer987

duffer987

    VOTE!

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,620 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 201269
  • Joined: 09/03/2012
  • Location:Canadian in Texas
  • Handicap:7.7
GolfWRX Likes : 6731

Posted 10 July 2018 - 09:50 AM

I'm left-eye dominant and am very very right-handed, except for putting and hockey.

When I started playing I had a mini-putt putter and would putt based on having my feet 'below' the break and as I got more serious eventually went full lefty, as I felt it was more like a hockey motion than a golf/tennis/baseball motion.

I'm not a good putter and have toyed with going righty, but keeping the same grip, so left hand low, but there's no offseason here, so no time to really ingrain it.

12

#13 Singapore Joe

Singapore Joe

    Major? Winner?

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,527 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 176066
  • Joined: 04/19/2012
  • Location:Melbourne, Australia
GolfWRX Likes : 592

Posted 10 July 2018 - 04:44 PM

I'm right hand dominant but play golf, ice hockey, cricket leftie but tennis etc. right handed. Also right hand eye dominant.

Just bought a center shafted putter a couple of weeks ago and the shops didn't have anything on display so I ended up trying a lot of right handers. Noticed also in the past that my putting is about equally bad letftie and rightie and I came really close to buying myself a right handed putter in an otherwise left handed bag. However, found one that I like that is also available leftie so ended up ordering that one.

My putting grip, don't know what it's called but it's fully symmetrical, both hands are sort of pistol gripping the putter grip at opposite sides (need a large grip for that) so no need to change many things if putting right handed.

Edited by Singapore Joe, 11 July 2018 - 04:26 PM.

TM R11S 10.5 HZRDUS Yellow 65
TM R11S 5w Fujikura Speeder Evo II FW
[ Callaway Apex UT 18, Recoil 95 || TM R15 3H ]
[ Callaway Apex Pro 3i || TM R15 4H ]

Callaway Apex Pro 4-9,P Recoil 110
Callaway MD4 54, 58
Ping Sigma G Kinloch C

13

#14 DavePelz4

DavePelz4

    Legend

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 23,241 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 69051
  • Joined: 11/10/2008
  • Location:A golf course in the Chicago area.
GolfWRX Likes : 24380

Posted 11 July 2018 - 08:20 AM

View Postgolfgirlrobin, on 09 July 2018 - 06:58 PM, said:

View PostDavePelz4, on 09 July 2018 - 12:56 PM, said:

View Postgolfgirlrobin, on 09 July 2018 - 12:49 PM, said:

I’m a righty who putts left handed.  (Right eye dominant).  Spent years fighting the yips and started knocking the short ones in with the back edge of my putter just to get the ball in the hole.  Friends remarked on how much better my stroke looked left handed.  Picked up a left handed putter just for laughs and it immediately felt more comfortable.  Took a few rounds to get the speed dialed in but it was definitely worth the effort.  I am a significantly better putter now.  

I putted left hand low as a righty and kept that when I went lefty.  That’s just how my hands feel the most natural.

Oh, and I can’t do anything else left handed.  This is it.  Tried to hit a wedge lefty and almost broke my own ankle.

Hey GGR...did you do anything special, other than just rounds or practice, to get the distance down?  Your description is just about me to a T.

I really didn’t need any practice inside 15 feet.  Those felt completely comfortable right away.  Did do a few drills practicing putting to specific longer distances.  The toughest thing was getting the distance down on putts that go from one tier to another, especially uphill.  I play six days a week, so most “practice” was on course.  

The weird thing is that after about two months left handed, I can’t putt right handed, at all.  Can’t even figure out how to take the club back. I couldn’t go back to right handed even if I wanted to.

What kind of putter were you using righty and what did you change to when you went lefty?

14

#15 Walter

Walter

    Belgian Golfer

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 515 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 26026
  • Joined: 02/26/2007
  • Location:Belgium
  • Handicap:11.0
GolfWRX Likes : 309

Posted 17 July 2018 - 03:39 PM

Good friend of mine plays this way 🙂👍
He used to be / is a great tennis player / better than his golf  in general🙂/  for him
It Has something to do with that " past " great competitor / putter / matchplayer though ..

Good friend of mine plays this way 🙂👍
He used to be / is a great tennis player / better than his golf  in general🙂/  for him
It Has something to do with that " past " great competitor / putter / matchplayer though ..


15



0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors