Jump to content

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Hooks and Blocks / Squaring Club Face Through Impact


  • Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 roakesro

roakesro

    RO715

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 357059
  • Joined: 01/08/2015
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 07 July 2018 - 10:43 PM

Looking for advice. I struggle with squaring the clubface at impact with any consistency. From what I can tell, I get the club inside on the takeaway, I then drop my hands on the downswing, my body stalls and I flip my hands through impact which results in either a hook or blocked shot. I know part of the route cause is i roll my wrist on the takeaway which gets the club inside early. I'm working on fixing that now and using the drill in the video below to get the club working up quicker. This does help a bit but it doesn't stop me from stalling and flipping through impact.

https://m.youtube.co...eature=youtu.be

Below are a few videos from this morning. As you can see, when I get to the top, I still drop my hands and flip through impact. I always feel like I’m trying to save the swing through impact. Driver is by far the worst. Any help or thoughts would be appreciated.



https://youtu.be/zfL1CyGT5VQ
https://youtu.be/3ER9Dw3PEts



Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


1

#2 Stuart G.

Stuart G.

    Legend

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,880 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 174728
  • Joined: 04/12/2012
  • Location:New Hampshire
GolfWRX Likes : 6140

Posted 09 July 2018 - 09:51 AM

I'm not a pro - but I don't see any problems with too inside or too much roll on the takeaway.  At least nothing significant.  For the most part take-away looks pretty good to me. Ask Monte - I'm an expert at early rolls and too inside for the take-away :-)

Maybe getting a bit "stuck" in the down swing - which is consistent with your inconsistencies.  I'd focus more on the transition than the take-away to get the arms out in front better/sooner (or maybe a bit more/deeper hip turn in the back swing).

Might help to get a face on video.

But mostly thought I'd post to bump the thread back up to the top of the queue.  So hopefully you'll get more qualified help responding in no time.

Edited by Stuart G., 09 July 2018 - 09:59 AM.


2

#3 MonteScheinblum

MonteScheinblum

    Rebellion Golf

  • Sponsors
  • 17,731 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 94238
  • Joined: 09/12/2009
  • Location:Southern California
GolfWRX Likes : 10522

Posted 09 July 2018 - 10:05 AM



3

#4 Jrm3

Jrm3

    Rookie

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 192964
  • Joined: 07/17/2012
  • Location:South Florida
GolfWRX Likes : 21

Posted 09 July 2018 - 10:03 PM

View PostMonteScheinblum, on 09 July 2018 - 10:05 AM, said:



I'm having this problem still as well. I am having trouble feeling my arm come off my chest. Are there any others feels that help do the same move?

4

#5 Golfjack

Golfjack

    That draw keeps creeping back

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 617 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 239545
  • Joined: 03/19/2013
  • Ebay ID:Conft
GolfWRX Likes : 175

Posted 09 July 2018 - 10:58 PM

Monte's great.  Also check out the Arm Swing illusion topic pinned at the top of the instruction topics.  Helped me get arms more in line and have better space to operate.  Actually I should probably revisit that LOL.  

Just from my personal experience I tend to do that too.  And what helps me square at impact is a feeling of releasing or unhinging my wrist through impact.  A vertical release, not a roll or hold.  Goes from draws to push since my swing plane then becomes too much from the inside (years of compensating has made my habit to swing too far from inside and closing the clubface to make it draw).  I've reduced the draw somewhat but still fundamentally a problem.  Reminds me I need to start working on that again as I got better and forgot about that stuff and got worse again!  Hazards of going without a teacher lol.

Callaway Epic Sub Zero 9.5
3H (19), 4H (22) Aeroburner TP
Mizuno MP-15 4, 5 iron, Project X LZ 6.5
Mizuno MP-5 6-PW, Project X LZ 6.5
Wedges Mizuno T7 50, 56, 60
Honma HP 1002

Alternate set:
Nike VR Pro 4-PW DG x100, Titleist AP2 712 DG x100 4-P, Callaway Jaws X Series CC Wedges 52 56 60, , Odyssey Arm Lock Putter, Gauge Design Eldik Putter with Superstroke Fatso 5

5

#6 glk

glk

    send it in jerome

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,967 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 336135
  • Joined: 08/25/2014
  • Location:Kodak, Tn/Chucktown, Sc via Chicago & Burgh
GolfWRX Likes : 4391

Posted 10 July 2018 - 05:33 AM

club face appears open  at p6 leading to the flip release to square it up.
Looking again, it does appear you get your lead wrist extended in the downswing versus flexed.    Need more motorcycle (with a nod to one C. Walken).

[attachment=4595126:Screen Shot 2018-07-10 at 6.30.49 AM.png]

Edited by glk, 10 July 2018 - 11:44 AM.


6

#7 vaca22

vaca22

    Commander In Beef

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 550 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 46965
  • Joined: 01/24/2008
GolfWRX Likes : 136

Posted 10 July 2018 - 12:37 PM

**DISCLAIMER - NOT AUTHORIZED TO INSTRUCT**

This is a problem that plagued me for almost 2 years.  I can't access the photos now, but I will try to when I get home.  Some of the positions of your follow through and finish are dead-on mirror images compared to me.  In my case, I believe I had several more flaws that were occurring all simultaneously, including (but not limited to!) -

1 - Quick inside takeaway, which resulted in...
2 - Very flat, rotational swing plane
3 - Standing too far away from the ball
4 - Hands getting stuck behind on the downswing

So, the only way I was going to hit the ball was to flip the club at it.  I am talking severe pull snap-hooks, 75 yards out and just as many yards left.  

My then girlfriend (now wife) at the time actually took a couple of videos on the phone without me knowing one day when she came to the range.  This was like in 2006 or something so it was a big deal, and I never considered using the phone for pics or vids for the purposes of analyzing my swing.

What I saw was shocking and changed my swing forever.  On my takeaway/backswing, my right leg straightened out and went along for the ride with my flat swing.  All of that power and stability that comes from the legs was totally leaking like a busted fire hose.

In your second video (the one where you let go of your hands), I can see a little bit of that right leg doing the same thing, but not as much as mine did.   For me, I would then rotate and push off so much around that leg on the downswing that I often finished the swing facing at 11 or even sometimes 10 o'clock (assuming your target is at 12).  I would throw my hands out, and hit everything off the heel.  Monte I think perfectly describes this at 5:07 - the spinout.  I NEVER hit anything that went right during this time; no blocks, pushes, slices...just straight duck hooks.

SO...after all is said and done, I wasn't returning the clubface squarely to the ball.  So I practice with 2 thoughts in my head that generally keep me consistent and have worked very, very well for me.  

1 - Pretend, at address, as if there is a cast that covers my right leg from just above my knee to halfway down my shin.
2 - Pretend that there is a broomstick or pole resting right on my spine, and that I have to rotate around that.  

These 2 thoughts have saved my game.  I will snap one every once in a while, but employing these 2 thoughts have made me enjoy the game.

7

#8 roakesro

roakesro

    RO715

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 357059
  • Joined: 01/08/2015
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 10 July 2018 - 06:57 PM

View Postglk, on 10 July 2018 - 05:33 AM, said:

club face appears open  at p6 leading to the flip release to square it up.
Looking again, it does appear you get your lead wrist extended in the downswing versus flexed. Need more motorcycle (with a nod to one C. Walken).

Attachment Screen Shot 2018-07-10 at 6.30.49 AM.png

I noticed that as well

My next steps are to try Montes Drill - I'm hoping it will flatten out the downswing and prevent the two-way miss. Per your comment, I also want to get the club face a bit more closed at the top of the backswing. Will add updates tomorrow!

View Postvaca22, on 10 July 2018 - 12:37 PM, said:

**DISCLAIMER - NOT AUTHORIZED TO INSTRUCT**

This is a problem that plagued me for almost 2 years.  I can't access the photos now, but I will try to when I get home.  Some of the positions of your follow through and finish are dead-on mirror images compared to me.  In my case, I believe I had several more flaws that were occurring all simultaneously, including (but not limited to!) -

1 - Quick inside takeaway, which resulted in...
2 - Very flat, rotational swing plane
3 - Standing too far away from the ball
4 - Hands getting stuck behind on the downswing

So, the only way I was going to hit the ball was to flip the club at it.  I am talking severe pull snap-hooks, 75 yards out and just as many yards left.  

My then girlfriend (now wife) at the time actually took a couple of videos on the phone without me knowing one day when she came to the range.  This was like in 2006 or something so it was a big deal, and I never considered using the phone for pics or vids for the purposes of analyzing my swing.

What I saw was shocking and changed my swing forever.  On my takeaway/backswing, my right leg straightened out and went along for the ride with my flat swing.  All of that power and stability that comes from the legs was totally leaking like a busted fire hose.

In your second video (the one where you let go of your hands), I can see a little bit of that right leg doing the same thing, but not as much as mine did.   For me, I would then rotate and push off so much around that leg on the downswing that I often finished the swing facing at 11 or even sometimes 10 o'clock (assuming your target is at 12).  I would throw my hands out, and hit everything off the heel.  Monte I think perfectly describes this at 5:07 - the spinout.  I NEVER hit anything that went right during this time; no blocks, pushes, slices...just straight duck hooks.

SO...after all is said and done, I wasn't returning the clubface squarely to the ball.  So I practice with 2 thoughts in my head that generally keep me consistent and have worked very, very well for me.  

1 - Pretend, at address, as if there is a cast that covers my right leg from just above my knee to halfway down my shin.
2 - Pretend that there is a broomstick or pole resting right on my spine, and that I have to rotate around that.  

These 2 thoughts have saved my game.  I will snap one every once in a while, but employing these 2 thoughts have made me enjoy the game.


Thank you for your feedback!

8

#9 Swingman420

Swingman420

    Rookie

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 506716
  • Joined: 07/08/2018
GolfWRX Likes : 22

Posted 10 July 2018 - 08:33 PM

To me it looks like the club moves too much lengthwise on the ds.  Really need face on.  Are you trying to point the handle end at the ball coming down?

9

#10 roakesro

roakesro

    RO715

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 357059
  • Joined: 01/08/2015
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 11 July 2018 - 10:22 PM

Went to the range to test out Montes advice on freeing the left arm  - I did sense the freedom he referred to with all clubs except Driver. Driver is still going left and right. Here are 3 videos from DTL. Unfortunately, wasn't able to get face on. I still feel like there is something else in my swing causing these problems. Trying identify the cause and solution. Let me know your thoughts.

https://youtu.be/HYqwtnigK2E
https://youtu.be/ZqX1kguEfbI
https://youtu.be/h0pVBAnuivM


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


10

#11 roakesro

roakesro

    RO715

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 357059
  • Joined: 01/08/2015
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 11 July 2018 - 10:23 PM

View PostSwingman420, on 10 July 2018 - 08:33 PM, said:

To me it looks like the club moves too much lengthwise on the ds.  Really need face on.  Are you trying to point the handle end at the ball coming down?

Not trying to point handle - no. Sorry, wasnt able to get FO

11

#12 Stuart G.

Stuart G.

    Legend

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,880 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 174728
  • Joined: 04/12/2012
  • Location:New Hampshire
GolfWRX Likes : 6140

Posted 12 July 2018 - 06:11 AM

View Postroakesro, on 11 July 2018 - 10:22 PM, said:

Went to the range to test out Montes advice on freeing the left arm  - I did sense the freedom he referred to with all clubs except Driver. Driver is still going left and right.

http://www.golfwrx.c.../#entry17643974

12



0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors