Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

How to choose a putter to help break 70

55 replies to this topic

#1 eboettne

eboettne

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 176402
  • Handicap:+0.1
GolfWRX Likes : 42

Posted 06 July 2018 - 01:37 PM

I've been missing a ton of putts lately which is the reason for this thread.  I'm hitting the ball as well as I have my entire life but missing birdie putts inside 15-20 feet consistently.  Just yesterday I hit, 15/18 greens and shot 72 with 33 putts. On the back 9 alone, I had 8 birdie chances with 7 of them in the 15-20 foot range and probably 3 or 4 of those in the 7-12 foot range and DIDN'T MAKE A SINGLE ONE. To say I was frustrated is an understatement.  On one hand I'm ecstatic to be hitting the ball so well, but to leave so many chances out there is maddening.  I've been on a quest to break 70 for the first time since college for the last 4-5 years and have shot 70 three or four times but never the elusive 69.  So I think part of the issue is not pressing when I know I'm close but I think the putter could be the wrong for me as well.

I've used 3 putters in my entire life. An Arnold Palmer, Scotty Cameron Newport 2, and now an Odyssey Mallet for the past 5 or so years. The only way I've really chosen putters is to go hit them in a golf store for 20-30 minutes but I'm sure there's a better way.  Last year I got a counterbalance grip added to my Odyssey which seemed to help my speed but not actually making putts, which is sort of the point. The putter I currently have is toe balanced, which from what I've understood is good if you open then square the face at impact.  However, I think I usually am a straight back and through putter, especially on the putts inside 20 feet. Could this be the source of my woes?  What is a good way to get fitted or decide what a better option might be for me? I'd like to stick with a mallet if possible as I think the larger clubhead gives me confidence on the 3-5 footers.

Thanks in advance for any help you could provide me.

Edited by eboettne, 06 July 2018 - 01:38 PM.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#2 kerila07

kerila07

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 448866
  • Handicap:0.3
  • Ebay ID:kerila07
GolfWRX Likes : 92

Posted 06 July 2018 - 01:46 PM

I currently game an evnroll, I would highly recommend checking them out the face tech they have works, also as far as fitting I would recommend finding a certified edel fitter and go through their process even if you do not buy an edel putter you will know what you need to look for in a putter.  They focus on aim and speed control, I went through the process and it was eye opening how the slightest changes to sightlines can affect aim.  Good luck hopefully this helps.

#3 NorthMNgolfer

NorthMNgolfer

Advanced

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 276 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 416672
GolfWRX Likes : 173

Posted 06 July 2018 - 02:21 PM

What makes you think it's you putter and not your green reading skills?

Are you missing everything close to the hole with short tap ins?  If so it might be your green reading needs some help as you are really close to making the putts.

Or are you getting the ball to get a nice roll on it on the longer putts which is getting the ball offline?

Another option is to just hit approach shots closer and take some of the pressure off your putter. (Sorry I could not resist, had a coach tell me that years ago when we were talking about this same topic).
My Current Bag.

Callaway Rouge 9* - HZRDUS Yellow 6.0 65
Taylormade M1 3 HL Wood - Diamana D+ 72s
Nike VR Pro 18 Hybrid - Project X Blue
Taylormade M1 4h
Ping i25 Irons - 4-PW
Cleveland RTX-3 CB 54*
Callaway PM grind 60*
Odyssey O-Works Red #1 Wide S - Flat Cat Tak

#4 Sean2

Sean2

#TheWRX (Callaway Trip)

• 30,077 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 29539
  • Ebay ID:None
GolfWRX Likes : 17492

Posted 06 July 2018 - 02:24 PM

Well, you are in good company. McIlroy is ranked at or near the top in ball striking but is 200th in putting.

I find with putting, more often than not it's not the putter, but the puttee.
Callaway Rogue
Callaway GBB Epic 16º/20º/24º
Callaway Steelhead XR 25º
Callaway Apex CF16 6-AW
Callaway MD3/MD-PM 54º/58º
Callaway "O" Works #7

#5 Scottie68

Scottie68

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 737 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 359119
  • Handicap:8
GolfWRX Likes : 192

Posted 06 July 2018 - 02:27 PM

Ever consider a putter fitting? While it would not ensure breaking 70, it can help you  to have/know you have the "best" putter for your stroke (and knowing in your own mind means you'd be  able to focus on other things in case it  does not acheive your goal).

#6 Go_Time

Go_Time

_

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,494 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 108988
  • Handicap:Many
GolfWRX Likes : 491

Posted 06 July 2018 - 02:27 PM

pga tour average for that distance is well below 30% afiak...not sure what level of success you're expecting. With that % it wouldn't be unusual to make zero putts in that range during a round.

#7 eboettne

eboettne

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2018 - 03:22 PM

View Postkerila07, on 06 July 2018 - 01:46 PM, said:

I currently game an evnroll, I would highly recommend checking them out the face tech they have works, also as far as fitting I would recommend finding a certified edel fitter and go through their process even if you do not buy an edel putter you will know what you need to look for in a putter.  They focus on aim and speed control, I went through the process and it was eye opening how the slightest changes to sightlines can affect aim.  Good luck hopefully this helps.

I will definitely do this, seems like a good option to become more informed on my specific putting stroke.

#8 eboettne

eboettne

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2018 - 03:29 PM

View PostGo_Time, on 06 July 2018 - 02:27 PM, said:

pga tour average for that distance is well below 30% afiak...not sure what level of success you're expecting. With that % it wouldn't be unusual to make zero putts in that range during a round.

What I expect is to be able to get around a course in less than 30 putts per round on occasion, especially when I'm flushing my approach shots.

#9 eboettne

eboettne

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2018 - 03:30 PM

View PostNorthMNgolfer, on 06 July 2018 - 02:21 PM, said:

Are you missing everything close to the hole with short tap ins?  If so it might be your green reading needs some help as you are really close to making the putts.

Or are you getting the ball to get a nice roll on it on the longer putts which is getting the ball offline?

Another option is to just hit approach shots closer and take some of the pressure off your putter. (Sorry I could not resist, had a coach tell me that years ago when we were talking about this same topic).

Good point about green reading, I could probably use a lesson or two in this area to make sure I'm starting putts on the right line/speed to begin with.

#10 fawley

fawley

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 319 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 3167
  • Handicap:6
GolfWRX Likes : 364

Posted 06 July 2018 - 04:23 PM

View Posteboettne, on 06 July 2018 - 01:37 PM, said:

I've been missing a ton of putts lately which is the reason for this thread.  I'm hitting the ball as well as I have my entire life but missing birdie putts inside 15-20 feet consistently.  Just yesterday I hit, 15/18 greens and shot 72 with 33 putts. On the back 9 alone, I had 8 birdie chances with 7 of them in the 15-20 foot range and probably 3 or 4 of those in the 7-12 foot range and DIDN'T MAKE A SINGLE ONE. To say I was frustrated is an understatement.  On one hand I'm ecstatic to be hitting the ball so well, but to leave so many chances out there is maddening.  I've been on a quest to break 70 for the first time since college for the last 4-5 years and have shot 70 three or four times but never the elusive 69.  So I think part of the issue is not pressing when I know I'm close but I think the putter could be the wrong for me as well.

I've used 3 putters in my entire life. An Arnold Palmer, Scotty Cameron Newport 2, and now an Odyssey Mallet for the past 5 or so years. The only way I've really chosen putters is to go hit them in a golf store for 20-30 minutes but I'm sure there's a better way.  Last year I got a counterbalance grip added to my Odyssey which seemed to help my speed but not actually making putts, which is sort of the point. The putter I currently have is toe balanced, which from what I've understood is good if you open then square the face at impact.  However, I think I usually am a straight back and through putter, especially on the putts inside 20 feet. Could this be the source of my woes?  What is a good way to get fitted or decide what a better option might be for me? I'd like to stick with a mallet if possible as I think the larger clubhead gives me confidence on the 3-5 footers.

I think you may have an unrealistic expectation of how many of those putts you should be making.  

You donít say exactly, but if your 7 putts within 20 feet were distributed as 7, 9, 11, 13, 15, 17, and 20 feet, the average PGA Tour Pro would take somewhere around 12.1 strokes to hole out on those seven greens from those distances.  

Assuming you two-putted each of the seven chances, you missed somewhere between 1 and 2 putts that a tour pro could reasonably expect to make. If youíre around scratch, maybe you missed one putt you could have expected to make.

I get that itís frustrating to hit the ball great and not score as well as you would have liked, but a new putter isnít going to have you routinely starting to hole 7 to 20 foot putts at a better rate than tour pros.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#11 Justsomeguy

Justsomeguy

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 689 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 412064
  • Handicap:15
GolfWRX Likes : 269

Posted 06 July 2018 - 04:33 PM

It's got to be trial and error. And if you've only used 3 putters, it could be that your match is still out there.
Don't marry the 3rd girl you date either.
Titleist 915D3 9.5*, Diamana S+ Blue 60, R, @10.25*
Titleist 915F 15* Diamana S+ Blue 70, R
Titleist 915H 20* Diamana S+ Blue 70, R
Titleist 716 AP1 4-W52, Kuro Kage Tini 65, S
Cleveland CBX, 56*/12, Rotex Graphite Wedge Flex
Cleveland Smart Square Blade

#12 Domgolfer

Domgolfer

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 505012
GolfWRX Likes : 5

Posted 06 July 2018 - 06:11 PM

View Posteboettne, on 06 July 2018 - 01:37 PM, said:

I’m in almost the exact same boat interested in this thread

#13 FlyOver

FlyOver

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 494204
  • Handicap:4.1
GolfWRX Likes : 38

Posted 06 July 2018 - 08:08 PM

Practice your putting....I have been practicing like a madman in my backyard putting green and it has improved my putting so much.  I now make at least 2-3 birdies a round from 8-20 feet.
Ping G400 LST 8.5 degrees-Handcrafted Even Flow Black 6.0 65 grams shaft
Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 15 degree-Even Flow Blue 6.0 65 grams shaft
Titleist 818 H2 Hybrid-Tensei Blue stiff 19*
Mizuno MP 18s FliHi 4-6 irons-Nippon Modus 105
Mizuno MP 18s MMC 7-PW-Nippon Modus 105
Titleist Vokey SM6 50* F Grind
Mack Daddy 4 54* C Grind
Titleist Vokey SM6 58* K Grind
Titleist Scotty Cameron Newport Mil-Spec 34 inch 340 gram putter
Titleist Scotty Cameron Newport 2 Detour Mod with copper insert, 34 inch 350 gram putter
Titleist yellow AVX ball

#14 tatertot

tatertot

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,901 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 87030
GolfWRX Likes : 3556

Posted 06 July 2018 - 08:22 PM

View Posteboettne, on 06 July 2018 - 03:29 PM, said:

View PostGo_Time, on 06 July 2018 - 02:27 PM, said:

What I expect is to be able to get around a course in less than 30 putts per round on occasion, especially when I'm flushing my approach shots.

Putts per round is a misleading stat.

The more greens you hit, the more 2 putts you'll have, and your putts per round will go up.

When Tiger was dominating, his putts per GIR was around 1.7, so he was making about 3 out of every 10 birdie putts. The important stat is his proximity to hole for approach shots.
Driver: Adams Speedline Fast 11, 9°
Fairway: Adams Fast 10, 15*
Irons: Ping Eye2, 2-9 iron
Wedges: Titleist SM7, 48º; Titleist SM5, 54º & 58º
Putter: Cameron Studio Stainless Mid Sur, 34"

#15 titleistlefty33

titleistlefty33

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 710 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 21863
  • Ebay ID:makersmarsh
GolfWRX Likes : 165

Posted 06 July 2018 - 09:38 PM

View PostJustsomeguy, on 06 July 2018 - 04:33 PM, said:

It's got to be trial and error. And if you've only used 3 putters, it could be that your match is still out there.
Don't marry the 3rd girl you date either.
This right here

lead tape & Taylormade TP5X's

#16 eboettne

eboettne

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2018 - 09:01 AM

All of this is interesting input.  I do believe I should be making more putts even hitting that many greens, especially as a scratch player.  You can say my expectations are unrealistic but fact of the matter is I've been a much more consistent putter from the distances I'm referencing when my ball striking wasn't quite as polished. Putts per round isn't everything obviously but 33 putts isn't a good putting round unless you're consistently putting yourself 50 feet from the pin and that's not even remotely the case. Also, the course I play the majority of my rounds on has fairly flat and smooth greens with subtle breaks. In other words, it's a course you can roll a lot of putts in on.

I wonder though if anyone has any input on having problems using a toe balanced putter with a putting stroke that stays pretty square throughout? I guess I'll just have to try a few putters to find out what mallet would be good for my stroke but though someone on here may have recommendations on a few specific putters for this type of stroke.

Edited by eboettne, 07 July 2018 - 09:04 AM.

#17 diablocrusher

diablocrusher

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 178350
  • Handicap:6.5
GolfWRX Likes : 93

Posted 07 July 2018 - 10:25 AM

For the past 5 years I've been a horrible putter.  Changed putters, stances, etc but nothing worked and I would still miss 4 footers like it was nothing.  Last year I switched to the left hand low (right hand for me as I'm a lefty) and my putting improved some, but nothing to write home about.

Earlier this year I found a thread here someone replied to about how to grip the putter for the left hand low.  It took a little playing around with to get comfortable, but I'm putting the best in my life this season.  Here is a link to the post I'm referring to - http://www.golfwrx.c.../#entry17081912

One thing that helped me to putt better with this grip was going to the practice green and holding the putter with my top hand (left hand in my case, would be right for you), and putting a few balls to a hole about 5' away.  Start to get the feeling of controlling the face, and keeping it square.  After that put the low hand on the grip but with light pressure and just make that same stroke.

If you're struggling with your putting it's something to consider....but I am no means an expert on the putting stroke.
Driver - Cobra King F6
3 wood - Diablo Octane Tour
Hybrid - Callaway XR Pro
Irons 3-PW - Mizuno MP54
Wedges - Vokey SM6 50, 54, 58
Putter - Yes! Callie

#18 dmeeksDC

dmeeksDC

Major Winner

• 1,586 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 431476
  • Ebay ID:dmeeks2010
GolfWRX Likes : 621

Posted 07 July 2018 - 01:32 PM

Missing left? Right? All over? Pushes or pulls? What kind of grip do you use? How do you grip the putter? Does your right hand take over? Tons of putters out there if you want to switch to face balanced, but that is one of numerous factors. Head shape, alignment lines and where they appear, hosel type, offset, curved or straight trailing edge, total weight, putterís balance ó it all adds up to how your brain sees and aims.

A fitting on a SAM lab would be a great place to start.

If you want to tinker without a fitting, you need to have a solid understanding of your misses and the specs of the putters that are not working. There is a lot to it. I learned I aim tremendously better with a rounded trailing edge because my brain likes to use the face to aim and the curvature at the back guarantees I will have to. Too many lines can screw you up as much as anything else.

I can 2 putt with almost anything. Certain shapes and alignments will produce more putts holed. Getting fitted gave me a basic understanding of how I aim and I have been able to apply that information to picking out putters I like. And there are always exceptions.
Ping G400 9 degrees, Ping Tour stiff shaft, 65 grams
Callaway XHot2 Pro 3 wood, 15 degrees, Aldila Tour Green stiff shaft
Callaway XHot2 Pro 5 wood, 17 degrees, Aldila Tour Blue stiff shaft
Titleist 816 H1 hybrid, 19 degree set to 20, Diamana Blue 60S shaft

Miura CB57 5-PW, Nippon Modus 125 stiff shafts, soft-stepped
Ping i200, 4-PW, power spec lofts, Dynamic Gold 120 stiff shafts
Mizuno S5 50-degree gap wedge, Nippon 1150 stiff shaft
Callaway Mack Daddy 2 54-degree wedge, S grind, DG wedge shaft
Callaway Mack Daddy 4 Raw, 58-degree wedge, X grind, DG S200 shaft
Edel Rogue putter (thick blade), 34 inch, 71 degree lie, 2 degrees loft, 100-gram round Pure grip
Argolf Avalon (small, semi-circle mallet) 34 inch, 71 degree lie, 2 degrees loft, 100-gram round Pure grip.

#19 CDM

CDM

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,403 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 46064
GolfWRX Likes : 416

Posted 07 July 2018 - 06:26 PM

Putter Fitting and lessons maybe on green reading?

#20 tleader

tleader

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 328 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 13832
GolfWRX Likes : 98

Posted 07 July 2018 - 08:09 PM

I canít stress enough the importance of a fitting for a putter that suits your eye and stroke. Confidence in a putter can make a world of difference and ďfree upĒ your stroke.

Also important is to get a lesson on reading greens and breaks, and ultimately putting in the practice time.

Good luck. 👍

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#21 bladehunter

bladehunter

I have a great profile! Especially from the side !

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,958 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 291449
  • Handicap:NONE
GolfWRX Likes : 17556

Posted 08 July 2018 - 08:17 AM

Op itís as if you wrote this aboot me.  

I feel your pain.

So many rounds with 1-2 kick In birdies from par 5s. 12-14 greens hit and like yesterday 7 birdie putts inside 10 ft. Didnít hit the hole with any.  

And you watch your higher cap playing partners make a couple 12-15 footers every round.  Right ?  Right !  I donít have the answer. But these guys above acting like you shouldnít expect to make 10-20 % of these putts are dead wrong.    Putting is the only part of the game where you can be as good as any person on earth.  No physical reason why not assuming able bodied person.  

I say this. Yet I havenít found the answer either.

Edited by bladehunter, 08 July 2018 - 08:19 AM.

Callaway Rogue 9.8 Tour issue Rogue Black 80TX  playing at 43 1/4
17 M1 14.5  Tour issue Graphite Design   AD DI 8X
  **Testing **  Tour Issue TM GAPR 2 iron w/ Graphite Design ADDI 105X
Miura LE 1957 Small blade   3-pw  Modus 130X
Vokey Tour issue raw 54  60 M  Modus 130S
TM Red TI Slant neck Spider ..34"  full sight line

#22 eboettne

eboettne

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2018 - 08:33 AM

View Postbladehunter, on 08 July 2018 - 08:17 AM, said:

Op it's as if you wrote this aboot me.  

I feel your pain.

So many rounds with 1-2 kick In birdies from par 5s. 12-14 greens hit and like yesterday 7 birdie putts inside 10 ft. Didn't hit the hole with any.  

And you watch your higher cap playing partners make a couple 12-15 footers every round.  Right ?  Right !  I don't have the answer. But these guys above acting like you shouldn't expect to make 10-20 % of these putts are dead wrong. Putting is the only part of the game where you can be as good as any person on earth.  No physical reason why not assuming able bodied person.  

I say this. Yet I haven't found the answer either.

Glad to hear there is someone else in my shoes. Anyone can roll putts because I've seen it done by mid handicappers. I think what I've taken out of this is I really need to drill down on my putting with a fitting and possibly some lessons. Like I said, I've only ever had 3 putters and don't really go to the practice green with a plan.  I also think I need to educate myself on green reading because I miss putts high and low. I feel like my speed is pretty good for the most part but misread the break pretty consistently. It is so frustrating and I feel your pain. Here's to hoping we start rolling in some putts soon!

#23 fawley

fawley

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 319 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 3167
  • Handicap:6
GolfWRX Likes : 364

Posted 08 July 2018 - 08:41 AM

I feel your pain.

So many rounds with 1-2 kick In birdies from par 5s. 12-14 greens hit and like yesterday 7 birdie putts inside 10 ft. Didnít hit the hole with any.  

And you watch your higher cap playing partners make a couple 12-15 footers every round.  Right ?  Right !  I donít have the answer. But these guys above acting like you shouldnít expect to make 10-20 % of these putts are dead wrong.    Putting is the only part of the game where you can be as good as any person on earth.  No physical reason why not assuming able bodied person.  

Who is acting like the OP shouldnít expect to make 10% to 20% of those putts?  Thatís precisely what the statistics say should be happening - I.e. of 7 putts between 7 and 20 feet, you can probably reasonably expect to make 1 or 2. Making no putts in 7 chances from that range during a round is a below average day. Making 3 would be an above average day.

My point is that if statistics show that making 1 out of 7 of those putts could be considered an average putting day, and you have a round where you happen to make none of them, you probably shouldnít be using that one round where you missed one more putt than you usually would as the basis for a complete stroke and equipment overhaul.

Itís entirely possible that independent of the numbers the OP provided, heís a sh!tty putter, and putting lessons and a new putter are a good idea for him. He just shouldnít be going down that road based on one round where he made one fewer putt than could be reasonably expected from someone at his level.

#24 dmeeksDC

dmeeksDC

Major Winner

• 1,586 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 431476
  • Ebay ID:dmeeks2010
GolfWRX Likes : 621

Posted 08 July 2018 - 10:31 AM

I would expect to make at least 25 pct of putts in this range. If not, I am either reading the putt wrong or the putter is not aiming where my eyes think it is aiming or I am not rolling the ball on the line I see. A putter can look like it is aimed at a certain spot and then if you put a laser aimed down that line, it very easily can be off. Just a few degrees off and youíre missing a 10 foot putt.

Alignment lines are not always your friend. You need a putter matched up to what you are seeing. Try this: Find a putter with no alignment lines at all, maybe just a sight dot, and see how you do. Often, a natural state of putting will work better than Ďlining it up.í

For your predicament, I would recommend an Edel putter fitting. You do not have to buy their putters, you can just pay for a fitting. They use mirrors and laser pointers to test how you aim and it really will tell you the type of hosel, head, loft and alignment aids that fit you best. It clears away a lot of uncertainty about whether you even have a putter that matches how your brain aims.

Before getting fitted, I had all these wivesí tales in my head ó I am left-handed and left-eye dominant but I play golf right-handed, so allegedly I need a center-shafted putter with no offset. Thatís what the forums all say. It is hogwash. That was totally wrong and there are zero studies to support that claim. My fitter said he has heard it for years but has fit more than 100 left-eye dominant players and said ďit is all individual. They fit all types of putters and there is no pattern.Ē

What I fit into was a full-shaft offset plumbers neck, wide blade with a curved trailing edge, no alignment aids and 1 degree of loft (I do not forward press, which requires more loft because the stroke takes loft off). The difference: Putts that used to end up near the hole, just missing, now go in the hole.

It is difficult to see it on your own although I do believe most golfers can recall certain shapes that worked better for them and that is a good place to start. But the other factors need to be measured. Fastest way to take strokes off your game.
Ping G400 9 degrees, Ping Tour stiff shaft, 65 grams
Callaway XHot2 Pro 3 wood, 15 degrees, Aldila Tour Green stiff shaft
Callaway XHot2 Pro 5 wood, 17 degrees, Aldila Tour Blue stiff shaft
Titleist 816 H1 hybrid, 19 degree set to 20, Diamana Blue 60S shaft

Miura CB57 5-PW, Nippon Modus 125 stiff shafts, soft-stepped
Ping i200, 4-PW, power spec lofts, Dynamic Gold 120 stiff shafts
Mizuno S5 50-degree gap wedge, Nippon 1150 stiff shaft
Callaway Mack Daddy 2 54-degree wedge, S grind, DG wedge shaft
Callaway Mack Daddy 4 Raw, 58-degree wedge, X grind, DG S200 shaft
Edel Rogue putter (thick blade), 34 inch, 71 degree lie, 2 degrees loft, 100-gram round Pure grip
Argolf Avalon (small, semi-circle mallet) 34 inch, 71 degree lie, 2 degrees loft, 100-gram round Pure grip.

#25 Scottie68

Scottie68

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 737 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 359119
GolfWRX Likes : 192

Posted 08 July 2018 - 02:10 PM

Was in a similar position of making zero putts in 7 to 12 ft range (plus missing a short one or 2 a round). Started using a drawn line on the ball to line up putts, and started making some. It's only been 2 rounds, but the difference has been incredible (more birdies in last 2 vs 10 prior).

Edited by Scottie68, 08 July 2018 - 02:12 PM.

#26 eboettne

eboettne

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2018 - 07:08 PM

View Postfawley, on 08 July 2018 - 08:41 AM, said:

I feel your pain.

Who is acting like the OP shouldnít expect to make 10% to 20% of those putts?  Thatís precisely what the statistics say should be happening - I.e. of 7 putts between 7 and 20 feet, you can probably reasonably expect to make 1 or 2. Making no putts in 7 chances from that range during a round is a below average day. Making 3 would be an above average day.

My point is that if statistics show that making 1 out of 7 of those putts could be considered an average putting day, and you have a round where you happen to make none of them, you probably shouldnít be using that one round where you missed one more putt than you usually would as the basis for a complete stroke and equipment overhaul.

Itís entirely possible that independent of the numbers the OP provided, heís a sh!tty putter, and putting lessons and a new putter are a good idea for him. He just shouldnít be going down that road based on one round where he made one fewer putt than could be reasonably expected from someone at his level.

I can assure you this isn't a one round event, that would be a moronic conclusion to jump to. And I stated I've made putts at a higher rate in the past. But to just say my expectations are too high(as some have) seems to be a good attitude for never improving.

#27 Ronnieo

Ronnieo

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 79123
  • Handicap:+3
GolfWRX Likes : 36

Posted 08 July 2018 - 09:18 PM

Before changing putters maybe have a putting lesson. If after that you feel like you still need a new putter get fit and make sure you get a putter that matches your stroke.

#28 zonadub

zonadub

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 269 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 24168
GolfWRX Likes : 108

Posted 08 July 2018 - 10:38 PM

Don't know if it is just me, but here is an observation...

Are you making those putts when they are to save par? I often miss putts for birdie that I seldom miss for par or worse.
How to play golf.
Hit the ball.
Find the ball
Repeat until the ball is in the hole.
Have fun.
...Chuck Hogan

#29 NorthMNgolfer

NorthMNgolfer

Advanced

• 276 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 416672
GolfWRX Likes : 173

Posted 09 July 2018 - 09:26 AM

View Posteboettne, on 06 July 2018 - 03:30 PM, said:

View PostNorthMNgolfer, on 06 July 2018 - 02:21 PM, said:

Good point about green reading, I could probably use a lesson or two in this area to make sure I'm starting putts on the right line/speed to begin with.

I was thinking about this thread over the weekend and another thought for you would be to track all of your misses.  And when I say misses I'm talking about any putt that you feel you can make.  While I agree with what others have said about how many of these length putts are normally made.  I also think you might be amazed at what the stats show you.  They very well could show you trends in your putting game that are showing you are missing everything to the left or right.  Maybe you are seeing more be short and always missing on the high side.  When My putting gets in a slump I track the misses over a few rounds and it usually tells me what I'm doing wrong.  Might be worth a try.
My Current Bag.

Callaway Rouge 9* - HZRDUS Yellow 6.0 65
Taylormade M1 3 HL Wood - Diamana D+ 72s
Nike VR Pro 18 Hybrid - Project X Blue
Taylormade M1 4h
Ping i25 Irons - 4-PW
Cleveland RTX-3 CB 54*
Callaway PM grind 60*
Odyssey O-Works Red #1 Wide S - Flat Cat Tak

#30 jeromek

jeromek

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 83955
  • Handicap:13
  • Ebay ID:jerome_kim
GolfWRX Likes : 8

Posted 09 July 2018 - 11:33 AM

I recently video recorded my putting stroke down the line by putting my cell phone on the ground behind the ball and club.  The most surprising thing to me was that at address, my toe was way up in air.  I think my topline was noticeably off horizontal.  This probably explains my tendency to pull putts to the left.  I never remotely thought that I might not be addressing the putter horizontally.

I don't know if I was just flattening the shaft angle subconsciously because I tend to lay the grip in my fingers too much, or if I need to get fitted.  Either way, i have a direction to move to improve my putting.

Attached Thumbnails

• SmartSelect_20180709-113950_Photos.gif

Edited by jeromek, 09 July 2018 - 11:40 AM.

Driver Callaway Razr Hawk Driver 9.5 neutral, i-mix, Motore Speeder VC 7.1
Rocketballs xcon 5 stiff
Titleist 718 TMB 2 iron
Bridgestone j36 combo, px 6.0 4-pw
Vokey SM6 50f12
Vokey SM5 54m10
Mizuno R 58
Ping Anser 2 TR 1966 33"

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bonggg

GolfWRX Sponsors