Jump to content

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Slow swing speeds, what driver do you use?


80 replies to this topic

#61 argee1977

argee1977

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 239 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 401588
  • Joined: 11/02/2015
  • Location:UK
GolfWRX Likes : 51

Posted 07 July 2018 - 06:15 AM

I never like this type of question, as there are many reasons why someone is swinging slow, it could be swing faults meaning rerouting and slowing the club down, being older, or just not having speed, each of which will require a different type of shaft and head combo.

Same with the carry distance stuff, i rarely see folk getting optimal numbers on the course, personally i just don't hit up on the ball enough, i know this, but i do this as a level hit seems to keep it straighter for me, when i do hit up i tend to come from the inside a bit too much, hitting big high draws, would be great trackman numbers, but on the course i fear this can lead to a massive block or hook, so tap it around most times, well except two of the par 5s.


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


1

#62 1Mordrid1

1Mordrid1

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 350 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 494342
  • Joined: 02/22/2018
  • Location:Phoenix
  • Handicap:9.1
GolfWRX Likes : 176

Posted 07 July 2018 - 06:45 AM

View Postargee1977, on 07 July 2018 - 06:15 AM, said:

I never like this type of question, as there are many reasons why someone is swinging slow, it could be swing faults meaning rerouting and slowing the club down, being older, or just not having speed, each of which will require a different type of shaft and head combo.

Same with the carry distance stuff, i rarely see folk getting optimal numbers on the course, personally i just don't hit up on the ball enough, i know this, but i do this as a level hit seems to keep it straighter for me, when i do hit up i tend to come from the inside a bit too much, hitting big high draws, would be great trackman numbers, but on the course i fear this can lead to a massive block or hook, so tap it around most times, well except two of the par 5s.

Same for me, except I have a negative angle of attack. But when I hit up on the ball I end up with high hooks that are not really controllable for me. I know I am leaving yardage on the table, but at this point it is much better to be in the fairway rather than guessing the hoping where I might end up.
WITB

Callaway Rogue driver w/ Oban Tour Limited 4 60
Taylormade R15 3 wood w/ Kurocage 60 tini s
Nike Sasquatch Sumo #2 & #4 hybrids w/ H Diamana s
Ping G700 5-UW AWT 2.0(1°flat, 2° weak)
Callaway Mack Daddy PM grind 56 /KBS Tour V
Callaway Mack Daddy PM grind 60/KBS Tour V
Scotty Cameron Select Fastback
Team Effort Collegiate TCU bag
Q Star Tour

2

#63 PhilWhitUK

PhilWhitUK

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 209767
  • Joined: 11/02/2012
  • Location:London, UK
GolfWRX Likes : 13

Posted 07 July 2018 - 12:58 PM

The M4 gives me around 210- 215 carry with my 90mph swing with a light weight bassara no cost upgrade to the shaft.  Loft at 10.5.
WITB:
                EPIC driver, 3 and 5 wood
                G25 4 hybrid
                G400 crossover 5 iron and 6-W ie1 irons
                Scotty GoLo 3
                Vokey 50 & 54 with 58 PM grind

3

#64 Pete O'Tube

Pete O'Tube

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 286 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 214725
  • Joined: 12/06/2012
  • Location:South of England
  • Handicap:5
GolfWRX Likes : 106

Posted 07 July 2018 - 03:09 PM

My swing speed is 85 - 90.
My driver is a Ping G LS Tech at 10 degrees with a 44" Ping Tour 80 Stiff shaft. Love it and it's given me 30 yards back.

Fitter thinks it is completely wrong for me, I disagree.

Edited by Pete O'Tube, 07 July 2018 - 03:10 PM.

Ping G LS Tec 10 deg Ping Tour 80 S 44in.
Ping G25 5 wood Ping S
Ping G400 7 wood Ping Tour 80 S
4 - W TM RSi 2 KBS Tour 105 R
53.09 Vokey SM5
58.08 Vokey SM5
Ping Sigma G Tyne 34"

4

#65 Pi5seeker

Pi5seeker

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 540 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 79485
  • Joined: 04/08/2009
GolfWRX Likes : 74

Posted 07 July 2018 - 03:46 PM

Good thread. I need to find a driver for my dad. He has an older Taylormade that clearly doesn't work for him. He hits a 6 iron about 150.

Srixon Z545 10.5* Speeder 757 Evo 3
Srixon F45 15* Rogue Silver 70
Maltby KE4 Tour 19* AXE XCaliber
Maltby Tour HDI 21* S300
Maltby DBM 5-GW S300
Maltby M 56* 60* R300
Odyssey Works Versa 1W
Z-Star
Clicgear 3.5/Callaway ORG. 14l

5

#66 nsxguy

nsxguy

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,039 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 431858
  • Joined: 07/08/2016
  • Location:Florida
  • Handicap:3.8
GolfWRX Likes : 1434

Posted 07 July 2018 - 09:33 PM

View Post1Mordrid1, on 07 July 2018 - 06:45 AM, said:

View Postargee1977, on 07 July 2018 - 06:15 AM, said:

I never like this type of question, as there are many reasons why someone is swinging slow, it could be swing faults meaning rerouting and slowing the club down, being older, or just not having speed, each of which will require a different type of shaft and head combo.

Same with the carry distance stuff, i rarely see folk getting optimal numbers on the course, personally i just don't hit up on the ball enough, i know this, but i do this as a level hit seems to keep it straighter for me, when i do hit up i tend to come from the inside a bit too much, hitting big high draws, would be great trackman numbers, but on the course i fear this can lead to a massive block or hook, so tap it around most times, well except two of the par 5s.

Same for me, except I have a negative angle of attack. But when I hit up on the ball I end up with high hooks that are not really controllable for me. I know I am leaving yardage on the table, but at this point it is much better to be in the fairway rather than guessing the hoping where I might end up.

Not too long ago, on this very site, it was stated that some of the longest pros hit their driver with a negative AoA.

I found that a bit hard to believe and I didn't bother trying to do the research myself but, thinking a bit more about it, I guess the point is that if you get optimum launch conditions, i.e. ball speed, launch angle and spin rate it really matters little, if at all, HOW you get there.

Not so ? :dntknw:
Callaway Fusion 9* Project X Handcrafted Hzrdus Black "60" 6.0
Adams A12 Pro hybrids, 16*, 20*, 23*, Aldila VS Proto Stiff
Ping G20 5-P, DG S300
TaylorMade Hi-Toe 58* SW & 64* LW
Callaway Indianapolis EXO

Titleist AVX

6

#67 asw7576

asw7576

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,105 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 371961
  • Joined: 04/19/2015
  • Handicap:25
GolfWRX Likes : 223

Posted 08 July 2018 - 04:34 AM

View PostSir edward of putternut, on 06 July 2018 - 11:21 PM, said:

View Postdmb3535, on 06 July 2018 - 02:25 PM, said:

super slow swing speed here due to shoulder surgeries, low 80's. I have tried everything (fittings and clubs) and randomly picked up a SLDR-C off used rack and kill that cheap thing with the stock 58 gram shaft. I had zero intentions of buying, I was just messing around. Well, that was almost 3 years ago and still hitting it.....
Uh-oh.....you used the "s with a hyphenated C word"....pretty sure He is on his way

He is late :)  ..... strange
Drivers : Taylormade RBZ S2, JetSpeed, SLDR S
Fairways : Taylormade SLDR S, Callaway X2 Hot
Hybrids : Taylormade RBZ S2, SLDRS S
Irons : Mizuno JPX 800 HD, Yamaha Inpres X Z Cavity 2013 & Z 2016, Maruman Titus & X1
Wedges : Mizuno T4
Putters : Oddyssey Tank 2 balls, Works 2 fangs
Shoes : Footjoy DNA

7

#68 miles2go

miles2go

    Advanced

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 270 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 70407
  • Joined: 12/08/2008
  • Handicap:10
GolfWRX Likes : 23

Posted 08 July 2018 - 06:37 AM

90 mph for me. Playing 917 D2 9.5 with a stiff Fuji 565 Speeder
Perfectly happy with a 210-215 carry in the fairway.  230 with rollout is pretty standard. Par 4’s over 400 yards are challenging for us  speed impaired types.  When I want to hit more short irons, I just move up one tee box.

Will they revoke my wrx card now?

8

#69 Sir edward of putternut

Sir edward of putternut

    DARTH SMUG

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,030 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 401902
  • Joined: 11/05/2015
  • Location:Burbank
GolfWRX Likes : 728

Posted 08 July 2018 - 06:42 AM

View Postasw7576, on 08 July 2018 - 04:34 AM, said:

View PostSir edward of putternut, on 06 July 2018 - 11:21 PM, said:

View Postdmb3535, on 06 July 2018 - 02:25 PM, said:

super slow swing speed here due to shoulder surgeries, low 80's. I have tried everything (fittings and clubs) and randomly picked up a SLDR-C off used rack and kill that cheap thing with the stock 58 gram shaft. I had zero intentions of buying, I was just messing around. Well, that was almost 3 years ago and still hitting it.....
Uh-oh.....you used the "s with a hyphenated C word"....pretty sure He is on his way

He is late :)  ..... strange

Im actually baffled...unless He is just trying to be obtuse or fighting the urge. It'll happen. He cant resist
2005 taylormade 2005 TP CB (3-pw)
Cleveland 588 forged
Mizuno mp14
714ap2
Ping s55
J40 cb
Cobra mbs
Cobra cbs
Tourstage x blade
Mp 64
Mp 62


SRIXON Z545 MAAYIZAKI ASHA 4X
Srixon z745
Tm m2
Jdm sldr 430(darth fader)

BYRON MORGAN 007
Wilson 8802
Cameron monterey
Odyssey 7s


HoganTK15 WEDGES 51-59

COBRA LTD PRO 4 WD

Titleist Tmb 2 Iron

9

#70 erock9174

erock9174

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,454 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 119277
  • Joined: 12/23/2010
  • Location:North Canton, OH
  • Handicap:9.5
GolfWRX Likes : 664

Posted 08 July 2018 - 12:08 PM

View PostSir edward of putternut, on 08 July 2018 - 06:42 AM, said:

View Postasw7576, on 08 July 2018 - 04:34 AM, said:

View PostSir edward of putternut, on 06 July 2018 - 11:21 PM, said:

View Postdmb3535, on 06 July 2018 - 02:25 PM, said:

super slow swing speed here due to shoulder surgeries, low 80's. I have tried everything (fittings and clubs) and randomly picked up a SLDR-C off used rack and kill that cheap thing with the stock 58 gram shaft. I had zero intentions of buying, I was just messing around. Well, that was almost 3 years ago and still hitting it.....
Uh-oh.....you used the "s with a hyphenated C word"....pretty sure He is on his way

He is late :)  ..... strange

Im actually baffled...unless He is just trying to be obtuse or fighting the urge. It'll happen. He cant resist

Hes not a slow swinger to my knowledge.

Driver: Callaway Epic 13.5 HZRDUS T800 44.25"
Fairway: Ping G SF Tec 5
Hybrids: Callaway Bertha OS 19* | Exotics Xrail 23*/26*
Irons: Ping G700 6-UW
Wedges: Cleveland CBX 56* / Callaway Sure Out 64*

Chipper: Odyssey X-Act Tank
Putter: Odyssey MXM #7
Grips: GP Align MCC+4
Bag: Sun Mountain Four 5

Tracking: Game Golf

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


10

#71 Davidv

Davidv

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 382 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 399538
  • Joined: 10/14/2015
  • Location:Rochester, NY
  • Handicap:13
  • Ebay ID:dvilinnew
GolfWRX Likes : 144

Posted 08 July 2018 - 03:09 PM

92 mph swing speed, hitting a Callaway 10.5 Epic Star 39 gram Bassara shaft. Awesome driver sums it up long/forgiving.

11

#72 Ghostwedge

Ghostwedge

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 346 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 433482
  • Joined: 07/20/2016
  • Handicap:10
GolfWRX Likes : 156

Posted 08 July 2018 - 03:47 PM

View PostPete O, on 07 July 2018 - 03:09 PM, said:

My swing speed is 85 - 90.
My driver is a Ping G LS Tech at 10 degrees with a 44" Ping Tour 80 Stiff shaft. Love it and it's given me 30 yards back.

Fitter thinks it is completely wrong for me, I disagree.
you picked up 30 legit yds... your fitter is embarrased. Thatʻs supposed to be more like 5-10c Congrats

12

#73 Ghostwedge

Ghostwedge

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 346 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 433482
  • Joined: 07/20/2016
  • Handicap:10
GolfWRX Likes : 156

Posted 08 July 2018 - 03:51 PM

View Postmiles2go, on 08 July 2018 - 06:37 AM, said:

90 mph for me. Playing 917 D2 9.5 with a stiff Fuji 565 Speeder
Perfectly happy with a 210-215 carry in the fairway.  230 with rollout is pretty standard. Par 4’s over 400 yards are challenging for us  speed impaired types.  When I want to hit more short irons, I just move up one tee box.

Will they revoke my wrx card now?
i wouldnʻt. Driver 7-8 iron alot more fun into a green than driver/3iron/hybrid/fairway wood and chipping.

13

#74 Golf64

Golf64

    Go Habs Go!

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,947 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 104067
  • Joined: 02/27/2010
  • Location:Ontario, Canada
  • Handicap:Golf
GolfWRX Likes : 2902

Posted 09 July 2018 - 06:07 AM

G400 Max and Rogue are hard to beat right now!? ;)
Ping Hoofer
Bag under construction(Fit @ TXG)
Q-Star


Super Bowl LII Champions
Fly Eagles Fly

14

#75 ghoul31

ghoul31

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 387 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 278131
  • Joined: 09/28/2013
  • Location:ohio
  • Ebay ID:ghoul311
GolfWRX Likes : 258

Posted 09 July 2018 - 06:48 AM

View PostGolf64, on 09 July 2018 - 06:07 AM, said:

G400 Max and Rogue are hard to beat right now!? ;)

Or you could pick up a SLDR that goes just as far for 400$ less


15

#76 bobcat

bobcat

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,864 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 5452
  • Joined: 08/24/2005
  • Location:South Florida
GolfWRX Likes : 930

Posted 11 July 2018 - 12:23 PM

View Posterock9174, on 08 July 2018 - 12:08 PM, said:

He, (Bobcat), is NOT a slow swinger to my knowledge...

Not unless you consider 107 mph with a Driver 'slow'... :taunt:

sldrcFACE.jpg 2015 SLDR-C CLUBFACE
Headcover Small.jpg No need to 'loft up' with the 'C' - 9.5* loft is best!
Kusala61.jpg   Playing length is 45.5", tipped 1/2"

Edited by bobcat, 11 July 2018 - 05:54 PM.

What's in Bobcat's Bag?  (Showing more than 14 clubs due to options)

Driver: TM 2015 9.5* SLDR-C - 45.5" Miyazaki Kusala Black 61s (tipped 1/2")
Fairway: TM Tour-iussue V-Steel 15* 3W - 43.25" Fujikura 757 Speeder Stiff
Hybrid Fairway: TM Rescue Fairway 15* '3-Strong'- 42.75" Fujikura VP-90 Stiff
Hybrids: TM Rescue-Mid TP's 19*(3H) & 22*(4H) - Fujikura Vista Pro 90 Stiff
Driving Irons: TM TP UDI's 16* (#1) & 20* (#3) - KBS C-Taper Lite 110 Stiff Shafts
Irons: TM 2015 SLDR Irons (5-8i only) - KBS C-Taper Lite 110 Stiff Flex Steel
Hybrid Wedges: Cleveland 2011 Niblicks - 42*PW /49*DW / 56*SW - Stock Steel
Wedge: 2011 Cleveland CG-16 Black Pearl 58*/8* (SW/LW) - Stock Steel Shaft
Putter: Bettinardi BBX-81 Blade - 35" Bettinardi Stock Steel Putter Shaft

16

#77 Sean2

Sean2

    #TheWRX (Callaway Trip)

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 30,077 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 29539
  • Joined: 05/23/2007
  • Location:South of Boston
  • Ebay ID:None
GolfWRX Likes : 17436

Posted 11 July 2018 - 03:49 PM

View PostPi5seeker, on 07 July 2018 - 03:46 PM, said:

Good thread. I need to find a driver for my dad. He has an older Taylormade that clearly doesn't work for him. He hits a 6 iron about 150.

If possible he should go in for a fitting. He needs the right head/shaft combination to realize the most gains.
Callaway Rogue
Callaway GBB Epic 16º/20º/24º
Callaway Steelhead XR 25º
Callaway Apex CF16 6-AW
Callaway MD3/MD-PM 54º/58º
Callaway "O" Works #7

17

#78 Carl Spackler3

Carl Spackler3

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 651 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 136528
  • Joined: 08/15/2011
GolfWRX Likes : 416

Posted 11 July 2018 - 06:04 PM

I ha e played. 10.5 Titleist 905 R for a decade. I didn’t hit it far but straight all day. I recently got fit and am playing a 12* 915 d2 with the red diamana senior shaft and I jumped up a solid 15-25 yards. On my eyes80 mph swing speed after surgeries
Titleist 915 D2
Ping G 3 W
Ping G 5W
Ping G25 Hybrid
Mizuno JPX 900 hot metal 5-GW
Vokey 52-08 sm4
Vokey 56-14 sm6
Odyssey White Hot RX2 ( but it better be careful)

18

#79 lawsonman

lawsonman

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,225 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 171857
  • Joined: 03/29/2012
  • Location:Freeport, Illinois
  • Handicap:None
  • Ebay ID:pingguy1970
GolfWRX Likes : 3329

Posted 11 July 2018 - 06:31 PM

View Postghoul31, on 09 July 2018 - 06:48 AM, said:

View PostGolf64, on 09 July 2018 - 06:07 AM, said:

G400 Max and Rogue are hard to beat right now!? ;)

Or you could pick up a SLDR that goes just as far for 400$ less

$10 is about what the SLDR's are worth. :taunt:
Welcome to where dumb opinions are better than no opinion. :)

Callaway Epic/ Stiff Hzrous
Ping Anser 18.5
Taylormade RBZ 19 & 22 Hybrid
Adams V4 #5 hybrid
Ping S56's 6-GW
Ping Piper S Redwood
Callaway MD 56
Snell MTB Black
Ping DLX Bag

19

#80 CDLgolf

CDLgolf

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 653 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 2416
  • Joined: 07/12/2005
  • Location:South Carolina
GolfWRX Likes : 130

Posted 11 July 2018 - 06:50 PM

Titleist 913 D2 12* Mitsubishi S+ stiff flex
95 to 97 mph swing.

Titleist 913 D2
Ping G25 3  wood
Ping G25 20* & 23* hybrid
Ping i e1  5- uw
Ping Glide  56 & 60
Odyssey

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

20

#81 propman

propman

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,397 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 183580
  • Joined: 05/29/2012
  • Location:Chicago burbs
  • Handicap:15
GolfWRX Likes : 291

Posted 11 July 2018 - 08:44 PM

Callaway Fusion. Very forgiving especially at 44.5.  Relatively light and lively shaft, Easy to elevate ball.
15 hcp

21



0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors