Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Video Of Ernie With Persimmon, Young Phil And Jumbo In 1993

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 EmperorPenguin

EmperorPenguin

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 983 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 217859
GolfWRX Likes : 468

Posted 04 July 2018 - 06:52 PM

This is one of the days when you are watching YouTube and you see in the Related Videos on the right side one you curiously clicked.  Usually you end up watching a chain of videos and you end up watching something very strange, but this time it was good.  I actually remember watching this broadcast here in America in 1993, soon after I started playing golf.  It was my second time seeing this Ernie Els fellow (the first time was in the 1992 Open Championship at Muirfield when David Leadbetter was on the mic talking about his new prodigy Ernie), and here in this tournament he was using a persimmon driver.  I am posting the video here because the title is in Japanese and I may lose it forever, so while I am watching it now, I want to share it with you.

https://youtube.com/...h?v=_meanDXxW68

Curiously, I remember that when I first saw this on ESPN, I tuned in at this exact moment when Ernie was teeing it up on the final hole.  The first thing I thought when I saw this guy's swing and thought how beautiful his swing is.  It is good to see Ernie swinging a persimmon wood, though Jumbo passed him by twenty or so yards.

Although it is not shown in this clip, I do remember the post-round interview during the awards presentation.  Ernie just won and the interviewer had asked Ernie before the crowd, with a Japanese accent, "So Ernie, tell me how it feels to win 26 million yen?"  Ernie was baffled and asked in response, "How much is that in dollars?"

By any chance does anyone know what the exchange rate was back then, and how much 26 million yen was worth back then?

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#2 NRJyzr

NRJyzr

Sťamus is 1 yr old now!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,451 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 72626
  • Ebay ID:n.r.jyzr
GolfWRX Likes : 4875

Posted 06 July 2018 - 09:37 PM

Was trying to see if Jumbo may have been using the J's Professional Weapon, but couldn't tell on the tablet I was watching it on...
The Ever Changing Bag!

Driver:  R9 SuperDeep, NV ProtoPype 80 X at 43½" --or-- SLDR White, RIP Alpha 80 X at 43.5" --or-- TEE XCG7 Beta, Motore F3 80 X, 43.5" --or-- King LTD, NV ProtoPype 80 X, 43.5"
3w:  Stage 2 Tour 3w, SK Fiber Tour Trac 100 X, 42.5"
2h Stage 2 Tour, NV105 S or DGS400
3-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S --or-- 1-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, DGS400 (toggle 1i and 2h above)
Occasionally: 1 iron Maxfli Revolution, DGS400

SW:  Ram Tom Watson 55°, DGX ss2x
LW:  Maltby Design 60°, DGS300 tipped 1"
SW:  Ram Troon Grind 58°, Dynamic S (with 1-PW set, replacing SW/LW above)
Putter:  Cleveland Huntington Beach #1 35"
Balls:  in no particular order...  Wilson Staff FG Tour or 50 Elite, Srixon ZStar/ZStar XV
Shoes by True Linkswear
Pure Pro grips, various colors (also trying Royal X-Treme V)

#3 dlygrisse

dlygrisse

Legend

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,904 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 16702
GolfWRX Likes : 6181

Posted 06 July 2018 - 10:18 PM

View PostNRJyzr, on 06 July 2018 - 09:37 PM, said:

Was trying to see if Jumbo may have been using the J's Professional Weapon, but couldn't tell on the tablet I was watching it on...
Bet he did. He was crushing it by Phil and Ernie.
Callaway GBB
Callaway V Series 3w, HW
Callaway Steelhead 4 hybrid
Ping G 4-U
Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 54* SS
Vokey 58 M grind
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Jones Utility
Ball, KSig or a bunch of ProV's I won in a charity scramble.  
ECCO Biom Hybrid 3

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors