Jump to content

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Is the Masters lottery “random”?


84 replies to this topic

#1 stickner

stickner

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 388 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 409286
  • Joined: 01/19/2016
  • Location:NJ
  • Handicap:?
GolfWRX Likes : 316

Posted 03 July 2018 - 09:18 PM


Do they pull info on people and “randomly” decide who to invite?

Discuss.


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


1

#2 Ashley Schaeffer

Ashley Schaeffer

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,722 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 258664
  • Joined: 06/24/2013
GolfWRX Likes : 1613

Posted 03 July 2018 - 10:09 PM

I know I'm 0'fer on getting invited as a player despite being a solid 3.8 with great hands!  It's very political.  Maybe next year.
Driver: 9.5*
3W: 15*
5W: 19*-ish?
Irons: 4-PW
Wedges: 50*, 54*, 58*
Putter:  Putter

2

#3 OutBackHack

OutBackHack

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 797 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 296687
  • Joined: 02/13/2014
  • Location:Sea Island
  • Handicap:0
GolfWRX Likes : 515

Posted 03 July 2018 - 10:53 PM

Great question, a friend of mine has got tix 4 years in a row.

3

#4 md1m

md1m

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 703 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 313547
  • Joined: 05/07/2014
  • Location:Central Texas
GolfWRX Likes : 440

Posted 03 July 2018 - 10:54 PM

View PostOutBackHack, on 03 July 2018 - 10:53 PM, said:

Great question, a friend of mine has got tix 4 years in a row.

What kind of physician is he?
Clubs are fluid

4

#5 ((hoselrocket))

((hoselrocket))

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 48794
  • Joined: 02/13/2008
  • Location:The Dirty South
GolfWRX Likes : 104

Posted 03 July 2018 - 11:25 PM

Well I’m O’fer forever still...


5

#6 goosekee2

goosekee2

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 131450
  • Joined: 06/23/2011
  • Location:Clarion, Iowa
  • Handicap:4
  • Ebay ID:goosekee1
GolfWRX Likes : 28

Posted 03 July 2018 - 11:35 PM

This guy was denied. Curious how each person is picked.
TaylorMade M3 9.5
Cobra F7 3 Wood
TayorMade M2 Hybrid 19*
Nike Vapor Speed 4-GW
Titleist Vokey SM5 54*
Titleit Vokey SM5 60*
Scotty Cameron Golo 5

6

#7 rymail00

rymail00

    Hall of Fame

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,125 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 50849
  • Joined: 03/07/2008
  • Location:Plattsburgh, Upstate NY
  • Handicap:6
  • Ebay ID:rymail00
GolfWRX Likes : 872

Posted 04 July 2018 - 12:08 AM

I thought I signed up? Are you guys getting denial emails from the Masters?
rymail00 2018 WITB   http://www.golfwrx.c...witb-pic-heavy/

TM M1 430 8.5* Tour Issue w/ Tensei CK Pro White 70s (with high gloss SLDR finish from Continental Golf)
Titleist 917 F3 15* D+ 80s
Titleist 915H 21* D+ 90s
Titleist 915H 24* D+ 90s
Titleist AP2 718, 5-50* Steelfiber i95s
Scratch TD DW 54* 58* KBS HiRev
Odyssey Metal X Milled 330M (current gamer)  

Ping Scottsdale TR B60
TP Mills Heritage 349g
Byron Morgan 006 355g
Byron Morgan Makers Proof #4/5 soidl copper
C&L CL1 368g

7

#8 2Bad4u

2Bad4u

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 389676
  • Joined: 08/05/2015
  • Location:Atlantic Canada
  • Handicap:16.0
GolfWRX Likes : 105

Posted 04 July 2018 - 04:12 AM

We've been trying for the past 10+ years without any success.

8

#9 stickner

stickner

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 388 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 409286
  • Joined: 01/19/2016
  • Location:NJ
  • Handicap:?
GolfWRX Likes : 316

Posted 04 July 2018 - 06:10 AM

View Postmd1m, on 03 July 2018 - 10:54 PM, said:

View PostOutBackHack, on 03 July 2018 - 10:53 PM, said:

Great question, a friend of mine has got tix 4 years in a row.

What kind of physician is he?

Democrat or Republican?

Paper or plastic?

Toilet paper over or under?

9

#10 onelochevy

onelochevy

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 136719
  • Joined: 08/16/2011
  • Location:Slidell, Louisiana
GolfWRX Likes : 28

Posted 04 July 2018 - 06:32 AM

View Postrymail00, on 04 July 2018 - 12:08 AM, said:

I thought I signed up? Are you guys getting denial emails from the Masters?

I havent gotten the email yet, but you can log into your account and see your ticket status.

As for me, my dad and I have both been selected once in the last 7 years.  He got them in 2013 and I got picked in 2015.  Practice rounds both times.  Denied this year though.


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


10

#11 BNGL

BNGL

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,229 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 472816
  • Joined: 06/26/2017
  • Location:Jupiter, Florida
GolfWRX Likes : 890

Posted 04 July 2018 - 06:49 AM

Buddy of mine enters every year, and has gotten them each of the past seven. The kicker is he gets tickets anyways from being a Class A superintendent. So he and his dad (one class A and one CGCS) both got picked in the lottery and already had their complimentary badges....so lucky I think they paid for their whole trip with the extra badges.

Fun fact I think 20 GCSAA members have been banned for life from ANGC

11

#12 golfandfishing

golfandfishing

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,755 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 381948
  • Joined: 06/22/2015
  • Location:AZ
  • Handicap:4
GolfWRX Likes : 4797

Posted 04 July 2018 - 07:33 AM

View PostBNGL, on 04 July 2018 - 06:49 AM, said:

Buddy of mine enters every year, and has gotten them each of the past seven. The kicker is he gets tickets anyways from being a Class A superintendent. So he and his dad (one class A and one CGCS) both got picked in the lottery and already had their complimentary badges....so lucky I think they paid for their whole trip with the extra badges.

Fun fact I think 20 GCSAA members have been banned for life from ANGC

Funny coincidence here - I worked with 2 other assistant pros in AZ. One is banned from Augusta for life and one went on to work there.

12

#13 North Texas

North Texas

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,683 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 103646
  • Joined: 02/18/2010
  • Location:North of Dallas
GolfWRX Likes : 2340

Posted 04 July 2018 - 07:47 AM

View Postgolfandfishing, on 04 July 2018 - 07:33 AM, said:

View PostBNGL, on 04 July 2018 - 06:49 AM, said:

Buddy of mine enters every year, and has gotten them each of the past seven. The kicker is he gets tickets anyways from being a Class A superintendent. So he and his dad (one class A and one CGCS) both got picked in the lottery and already had their complimentary badges....so lucky I think they paid for their whole trip with the extra badges.

Fun fact I think 20 GCSAA members have been banned for life from ANGC

Funny coincidence here - I worked with 2 other assistant pros in AZ. One is banned from Augusta for life and one went on to work there.

Okay, how much can either of you elaborate on why they were banned?

13

#14 golfandfishing

golfandfishing

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,755 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 381948
  • Joined: 06/22/2015
  • Location:AZ
  • Handicap:4
GolfWRX Likes : 4797

Posted 04 July 2018 - 08:49 AM

Drunk and disorderly. Probably would have just been removed for the day but he was given the choice of leaving the hard way or the easy way and he chose the hard way.

The other guy worked at Augusta, Congressional, East Lake and Inverness and is now HP at a well known east coast club hosting majors. I’d say where but would easy to identify him and he’s not on the forum to say that’s ok.

14

#15 youdamantiger

youdamantiger

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 294 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 151439
  • Joined: 12/17/2011
  • Location:Destin, Florida
  • Handicap:6.8
GolfWRX Likes : 566

Posted 04 July 2018 - 10:24 AM

I've entered the past four years and never won. My pal has entered every year they've had the lottery and never been picked. Meanwhile a mutual acquaintance of ours got picked the first three years he entered.


15

#16 Newbs24

Newbs24

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 57914
  • Joined: 06/13/2008
GolfWRX Likes : 17

Posted 04 July 2018 - 10:27 AM

Just my experience: I got picked this year while 2 of my cousins did not... If they took a look at tax returns and who they are married to, they would have chosen them way before me... No clue how it happens and I have to think it is as random as it gets if I got chosen

16

#17 BNGL

BNGL

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,229 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 472816
  • Joined: 06/26/2017
  • Location:Jupiter, Florida
GolfWRX Likes : 890

Posted 04 July 2018 - 10:44 AM

View PostNorth Texas, on 04 July 2018 - 07:47 AM, said:

View Postgolfandfishing, on 04 July 2018 - 07:33 AM, said:

View PostBNGL, on 04 July 2018 - 06:49 AM, said:

Buddy of mine enters every year, and has gotten them each of the past seven. The kicker is he gets tickets anyways from being a Class A superintendent. So he and his dad (one class A and one CGCS) both got picked in the lottery and already had their complimentary badges....so lucky I think they paid for their whole trip with the extra badges.

Fun fact I think 20 GCSAA members have been banned for life from ANGC

Funny coincidence here - I worked with 2 other assistant pros in AZ. One is banned from Augusta for life and one went on to work there.

Okay, how much can either of you elaborate on why they were banned?

Probably too much alcohol. We can’t sell our tickets easily, as they need our membership cards to match with drivers licenses or other picture forms of ID. I don’t know who it is, but every year when the GCSAA sends the notification that we get free entry it’s listed at the bottom.

17

#18 ceejay81

ceejay81

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 492284
  • Joined: 01/30/2018
  • Location:Washington, DC
GolfWRX Likes : 1606

Posted 04 July 2018 - 10:49 AM

I have not been picked in 12 years.  My buddy had the same streak going until last year and I was fortunate to be able to go with him to Monday's practice round.  This year I got a few non golf fan friends to sign up for me - they were excited to do so.  One of them actually won 3 Wednesday practice round tickets for me!

I really have no idea how it works.
Hive Tour Titles: 1

18

#19 bladehunter

bladehunter

    I have a great profile! Especially from the side !

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,479 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 291449
  • Joined: 01/12/2014
  • Location:south carolina
  • Handicap:NONE
GolfWRX Likes : 18076

Posted 04 July 2018 - 10:52 AM

Never been. Live an hour or so away.  Wasn’t picked again this year. Pretty sad really. But hey.  I’m not paying the price the dishonest folks who enter and win just to flip them ask.
Callaway Rogue 9.8 Tour issue Rogue Black 80TX  playing at 43 1/4
17 M1 14.5  Tour issue Graphite Design   AD DI 8X
Bridgestone Tour B-XH 18 Graphite Design AD DI 105X
Ping i500 4-pw Modus 130X
Vokey Tour issue raw SM6   50 f  54  60 M  Modus 130S
Cameron GSS 1.5 009  Vertical stamp , tungsten sole weights

hows that for brand loyalty??

19

#20 sekrah

sekrah

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 842 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 109137
  • Joined: 06/07/2010
GolfWRX Likes : 593

Posted 04 July 2018 - 10:54 AM

This is not scientific, just a guess based on what I read around here and other places, but if you put in for each day (Mon-Sun) I would guesstimate the odds are roughly around 8-1 that you get picked. Of course, that means you could catch lightning in a bottle and win a few years in a row, or you could just as easily go 15 years without winning.

Edited by sekrah, 04 July 2018 - 11:06 AM.


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

20

#21 j-rob

j-rob

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 977 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 86023
  • Joined: 06/18/2009
  • Location:SC
GolfWRX Likes : 179

Posted 04 July 2018 - 11:05 AM

There’s nothing random about Augusta National or the Masters.

21

#22 DatSliceDoe

DatSliceDoe

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,750 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 324051
  • Joined: 06/30/2014
GolfWRX Likes : 652

Posted 04 July 2018 - 11:08 AM

10+ years, no tix. I'm on the "we regret" list.

22

#23 countvelvet

countvelvet

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 174 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 133985
  • Joined: 07/23/2011
  • Location:Ontario, Canada
  • Handicap:3
  • Ebay ID:countvelvet
GolfWRX Likes : 21

Posted 04 July 2018 - 11:11 AM

0 for the last 12 years for me.  I thought Canadians would have a better shot since Mike Weir won in 2003!

23

#24 BuffaloTim

BuffaloTim

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 5401
  • Joined: 08/23/2005
  • Location:Buffalo, NY
GolfWRX Likes : 8

Posted 04 July 2018 - 11:25 AM

I just logged into my account.  My application for the 2019 Masters was not selected.

24

#25 SuperQuad

SuperQuad

    Newbie

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 425602
  • Joined: 05/17/2016
  • Location:UK
  • Handicap:7
GolfWRX Likes : 26

Posted 04 July 2018 - 05:55 PM

Anyone got any idea whether they look more/less favourably on applications from outside the US? UK here and I’ve just received my 6th straight rejection!


25

#26 golfgirlrobin

golfgirlrobin

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,063 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 247221
  • Joined: 04/24/2013
  • Location:Northern California
  • Handicap:2.0
GolfWRX Likes : 4539

Posted 04 July 2018 - 08:37 PM

I think it’s random, but I also think the number of tickets available through the lottery may be pretty small.  There may be a dozen different ways they distribute them.  

I’m 0 for forever.
Driver:     Ping G400 Max 10.5*
Fairway:  Callaway Rogue 15*, 20* & 24*
Irons:       TaylorMade M CGB 6-SW
Wedges:  Callaway PM Grind 59* & 64*
Putter:      Ping Sigma G Ketsch B

26

#27 fly787

fly787

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 475984
  • Joined: 07/22/2017
  • Location:Florida
  • Handicap:2
GolfWRX Likes : 34

Posted 05 July 2018 - 12:30 AM

I am 0 for whenever they went to the electronic system.  Seems rather impossible to me .....
TM 2016 M2 9.5 757x
TM 2016 M2 16.5 757x
Adams Pro Hybrid 17
Srixon 765 4-pw X100
TM P750 GW x100
Callaway Mac Daddy 2 56 wedge
Putter -- depends on the day :)

27

#28 grm24

grm24

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,548 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 4801
  • Joined: 08/09/2005
  • Location:Western PA
GolfWRX Likes : 2039

Posted 05 July 2018 - 12:58 AM

View Postfly787, on 05 July 2018 - 12:30 AM, said:

Seems rather impossible to me .....
Really? Do the math. There are likely millions of people that submit application requests every year for the available practice/tournament round tickets. What do you seriously think your odds are that you should be selected? For example if only 100 people submitted applications for tickets your chance of being selected is 1%. Increase that to 1000 people and it's 1/10 of 1 percent. Great odds there huh?

Your odds of being selected get exponentially worse as the number of applicants increase. These is no conspiracy. Just  people that do not understand/ignore how math works.

Edited by grm24, 05 July 2018 - 01:11 AM.


28

#29 Ashley Schaeffer

Ashley Schaeffer

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,722 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 258664
  • Joined: 06/24/2013
GolfWRX Likes : 1613

Posted 05 July 2018 - 01:10 AM

View Postgrm24, on 05 July 2018 - 12:58 AM, said:

View Postfly787, on 05 July 2018 - 12:30 AM, said:

Seems rather impossible to me .....
Really? Do the math. There are likely millions of people that submit application requests every year for the available practice/tournament round tickets. What do you seriously think your odds are that you should be selected? For example if only 100 people submitted applications for tickets your chance of being selected is 1%. Increase that to 1000 people and it's 1/10 of 1 percent. Great odds there huh?

Your odds of being selected get exponentially worse from there as the number of applicants increase. <SMH>

That could be good logic if they only selected one person.  Otherwise, it's kinda crappy.
Driver: 9.5*
3W: 15*
5W: 19*-ish?
Irons: 4-PW
Wedges: 50*, 54*, 58*
Putter:  Putter

29

#30 Singapore Joe

Singapore Joe

    Major? Winner?

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,525 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 176066
  • Joined: 04/19/2012
  • Location:Melbourne, Australia
GolfWRX Likes : 592

Posted 05 July 2018 - 02:54 AM

View PostAshley Schaeffer, on 05 July 2018 - 01:10 AM, said:

View Postgrm24, on 05 July 2018 - 12:58 AM, said:

View Postfly787, on 05 July 2018 - 12:30 AM, said:

Seems rather impossible to me .....
Really? Do the math. There are likely millions of people that submit application requests every year for the available practice/tournament round tickets. What do you seriously think your odds are that you should be selected? For example if only 100 people submitted applications for tickets your chance of being selected is 1%. Increase that to 1000 people and it's 1/10 of 1 percent. Great odds there huh?

Your odds of being selected get exponentially worse from there as the number of applicants increase. <SMH>

That could be good logic if they only selected one person.  Otherwise, it's kinda crappy.
Well... let's have more than one person selected. Think of a ticket winner selection as some sort of a function F:{A_1, A_2, ..., A_n} -> {YES, NO}^n which for each n applicant A produces a decision whether that applicant won or not. If the selection process is random, each output string of yeses and nos is equally likely, i.e occurs at a probability of 1/n.

The number of tickets available is, say, k which is independent of number n as k is controlled by the committee but n can be anything. For any applicant, the probability of winning is k*(1/n)=k/n which means that if there are as many applicants as there are tickets, everybody wins (i.e. the probability =1). However, it is much more likely that k<n and once n goes up k/n goes down.

We can't unconditionally say that odds get exponentially worse if the number of applicants increases but the odds do get worse in a pretty straightforward relationship with the number of applicants.

TM R11S 10.5 HZRDUS Yellow 65
TM R11S 5w Fujikura Speeder Evo II FW
[ Callaway Apex UT 18, Recoil 95 || TM R15 3H ]
[ Callaway Apex Pro 3i || TM R15 4H ]

Callaway Apex Pro 4-9,P Recoil 110
Callaway MD4 54, 58
Ping Sigma G Kinloch C

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

30



0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors