Jump to content

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

2018 Thornberry Creek LPGA Classic Jul 05-08


98 replies to this topic

#1 Argonne69

Argonne69

    Legend

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,554 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 102839
  • Joined: 02/01/2010
  • Location:Chicago, IL
GolfWRX Likes : 21010

Posted 03 July 2018 - 04:36 PM

  • Race to the CME Globe: 500 Points
  • Format: 72 holes
  • Purse: $2,000,000
  • Location: Thornberry Creek at Oneida, Oneida, WI
  • Par: 72
  • Yardage: 6624
  • History: This is the 2nd year for the event. In 2017, after a 2-under-par 70 Sunday, Australian Katherine Kirk put the finishing touches on her third LPGA Tour victory at the inaugural Thornberry Creek LPGA Classic.
Coverage:
  • Jul 05: Golf Channel 6:30 pm - 8:30 pm (EDT)
  • Jul 06: Golf Channel 6:30 pm - 8:30 pm (EDT)
  • Jul 07: Golf Channel 5:30 pm - 8:30 pm (EDT)
  • Jul 08: Golf Channel 5:30 pm - 8:30 pm (EDT)


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


1

#2 Stooch

Stooch

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 289 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 481884
  • Joined: 09/14/2017
  • Location:Ontario, Canada
  • Handicap:15
GolfWRX Likes : 261

Posted 03 July 2018 - 04:48 PM

Not gonna pick winner this event it's a birdiefest and opens the door to a whole lot of players, so whoever is hot this week is in the mix

Edited by Stooch, 03 July 2018 - 04:50 PM.


2

#3 Argonne69

Argonne69

    Legend

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,554 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 102839
  • Joined: 02/01/2010
  • Location:Chicago, IL
GolfWRX Likes : 21010

Posted 03 July 2018 - 05:24 PM

View PostStooch, on 03 July 2018 - 04:48 PM, said:

Not gonna pick winner this event it's a birdiefest and opens the door to a whole lot of players, so whoever is hot this week is in the mix

Agreed. Three players shot -20 or better last year. Forty-four players finished at -10 or better.

3

#4 ChronicSlicer

ChronicSlicer

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 381 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 444562
  • Joined: 10/23/2016
  • Location:WPA
GolfWRX Likes : 339

Posted 03 July 2018 - 07:17 PM

Nasa continues to ride the wave...

4

#5 Tailgater

Tailgater

    Tailgating on the Back 9

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 345 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 216143
  • Joined: 12/15/2012
  • Location:Dallas, Texas
GolfWRX Likes : 118

Posted 04 July 2018 - 06:04 AM

I’d like to see Cheyenne Woods or Charley Hull (assuming they’re playing) get a win.

Married to Callaway Clubs but I cheat with Nike Clubs on occasion.

5

#6 ChronicSlicer

ChronicSlicer

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 381 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 444562
  • Joined: 10/23/2016
  • Location:WPA
GolfWRX Likes : 339

Posted 04 July 2018 - 07:17 AM

View PostArgonne69, on 03 July 2018 - 05:24 PM, said:

View PostStooch, on 03 July 2018 - 04:48 PM, said:

Not gonna pick winner this event it's a birdiefest and opens the door to a whole lot of players, so whoever is hot this week is in the mix

Agreed. Three players shot -20 or better last year. Forty-four players finished at -10 or better.

A birdiefest would suit the Jutanugarns well, they do lead the tour in birdies. It would be fun to see a 1-2 finish with some playoff holes involved.

Amy Yang is do for a good finish also.

Edited by ChronicSlicer, 04 July 2018 - 07:20 AM.


6

#7 cannuck

cannuck

    Rookie

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 269732
  • Joined: 08/10/2013
GolfWRX Likes : 3

Posted 04 July 2018 - 08:53 AM

nice to see jimin kang back

7

#8 USAF Retired E7

USAF Retired E7

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 381628
  • Joined: 06/20/2015
  • Location:Racine, WI
  • Handicap:10
GolfWRX Likes : 131

Posted 04 July 2018 - 10:46 AM

I volunteered and will be a standard bearer Friday morning at Thormberry.

First time I've volunteered and looking forward to watching pros up close.

8

#9 Eck42

Eck42

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 338 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 2620
  • Joined: 07/14/2005
  • Location:WI
GolfWRX Likes : 8

Posted 04 July 2018 - 10:47 AM

It is a birdiefest, but having played Thornberry many times (I live near-by) it just reaffirms how good the players are. It was a a lot of fun being out there watching last year. The field is really good this year (IMO). If nothing else I like watching because I know how I hack it around out there, but they make it look so easy!
WITB:

PING G400 MAX w/Accra Fx 2.0
Callaway Rogue 3W w/Accra Fx 2.0
TM 2009 Rescues
Mizuno 900 Irons
Mizuno S5 SW & LW
Odyssey 2-Ball
Bridgestone TOUR B RXS
TM TMX Stand Bag

9

#10 Stooch

Stooch

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 289 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 481884
  • Joined: 09/14/2017
  • Location:Ontario, Canada
  • Handicap:15
GolfWRX Likes : 261

Posted 04 July 2018 - 12:21 PM

View PostEck42, on 04 July 2018 - 10:47 AM, said:

It is a birdiefest, but having played Thornberry many times (I live near-by) it just reaffirms how good the players are. It was a a lot of fun being out there watching last year. The field is really good this year (IMO). If nothing else I like watching because I know how I hack it around out there, but they make it look so easy!

They are good but from what I remember of the course for the pro's who are hitting it well there's not much danger to subtract from their score and plenty of place to score and make birdies and thus IMO get the very low scores.  I remember 17 and 18 having teeth if you are out of position and the Par 5 on the back with all the water down the left side can put a crooked number with a bad shot or two.  I can't remember the weather conditions last year but most likely like most course with some wind it's probably a tougher challenge.  I like the venue and courses that play much easier actually gives the back of the field a chance at winning if they're on their game.  IMO tougher course with danger almost eliminates 3/4 of the field over the course of 4 rounds.


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


10

#11 Argonne69

Argonne69

    Legend

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,554 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 102839
  • Joined: 02/01/2010
  • Location:Chicago, IL
GolfWRX Likes : 21010

Posted 04 July 2018 - 01:56 PM

That's why I really enjoyed Kemper Lakes. There were plenty of birdies out there. However, it was just as easy to give back as it shot.

That said, I don't expect every week to be major like conditions and setup.


11

#12 AWinfortheAges

AWinfortheAges

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 468490
  • Joined: 05/21/2017
GolfWRX Likes : 126

Posted 04 July 2018 - 05:22 PM

Looking at the scores from last year:
Pornanong Phatlum shot a 62 in the final round (-19 F, 4th), Sei Young Kim a 63 (-20, 3rd), and Mariajo Uribe a 64 (-10, 36T).

Katherine Kirk shot a 63 on Friday and Sandra Gal a 64.

I'm going to pick Jin Young Ko to get her second win of the season or Aditi Ashok to get her 1st career win.

12

#13 DavePelz4

DavePelz4

    Legend

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 22,549 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 69051
  • Joined: 11/10/2008
  • Location:A golf course in the Chicago area.
GolfWRX Likes : 23217

Posted 04 July 2018 - 05:27 PM

Rooting for 13 year old Alexa Pano to make the cut.

Edited by DavePelz4, 04 July 2018 - 05:41 PM.


13

#14 Mellow

Mellow

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 446316
  • Joined: 11/12/2016
  • Location:Ohio
GolfWRX Likes : 149

Posted 04 July 2018 - 05:42 PM

I still have not recovered from Sunday's climatic ending...

Ugh this looks like it might be hot for them again, I hate thinking of everyone getting miserable and wiped out from the temps.

Wow, there's a whole slew of players at this one who I really like, but who are kind of struggling.  I'm just going to hope for them to have fun and make the cut and get some stats.  Come on, make the most of the chance!

14

#15 ClairefromClare

ClairefromClare

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 349 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 62374
  • Joined: 08/05/2008
  • Location:Mid Atlantic
GolfWRX Likes : 337

Posted 04 July 2018 - 06:47 PM

View PostUSAF Retired E7, on 04 July 2018 - 10:46 AM, said:

I volunteered and will be a standard bearer Friday morning at Thormberry.

First time I've volunteered and looking forward to watching pros up close.

Good for you.  That's great fun, and I really appreciate watching a group's entire game from that vantage point.  You can graduate to walking scorer; that really helps you focus on the specific shots that make the difference for a player.


15

#16 Argonne69

Argonne69

    Legend

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,554 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 102839
  • Joined: 02/01/2010
  • Location:Chicago, IL
GolfWRX Likes : 21010

Posted 05 July 2018 - 09:06 AM

Whaaaa?! Alison Lee at the top of the leaderboard. Enjoy it while it lasts.

16

#17 Stooch

Stooch

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 289 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 481884
  • Joined: 09/14/2017
  • Location:Ontario, Canada
  • Handicap:15
GolfWRX Likes : 261

Posted 05 July 2018 - 10:23 AM

View PostArgonne69, on 05 July 2018 - 09:06 AM, said:

Whaaaa?! Alison Lee at the top of the leaderboard. Enjoy it while it lasts.
And it's over, now +2

17

#18 DavePelz4

DavePelz4

    Legend

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 22,549 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 69051
  • Joined: 11/10/2008
  • Location:A golf course in the Chicago area.
GolfWRX Likes : 23217

Posted 05 July 2018 - 10:56 AM

Alexa Pano -1 through 5...heck of a start for a teenager in her first pro event.

A familiar name on the top of the leaderboard.

18

#19 Stooch

Stooch

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 289 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 481884
  • Joined: 09/14/2017
  • Location:Ontario, Canada
  • Handicap:15
GolfWRX Likes : 261

Posted 05 July 2018 - 11:07 AM

Katherine Kirk really likes this track now -6

19

#20 BadgerLin

BadgerLin

    BadgerLin

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 465742
  • Joined: 04/30/2017
  • Location:Wisconsin
GolfWRX Likes : 16

Posted 05 July 2018 - 11:12 AM

View PostMellow, on 04 July 2018 - 05:42 PM, said:

I still have not recovered from Sunday's climatic ending...

Ugh this looks like it might be hot for them again, I hate thinking of everyone getting miserable and wiped out from the temps.

Wow, there's a whole slew of players at this one who I really like, but who are kind of struggling.  I'm just going to hope for them to have fun and make the cut and get some stats.  Come on, make the most of the chance!


It is brutally hot and humid today, but the next 3 days look to be very pleasant.


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

20

#21 Argonne69

Argonne69

    Legend

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,554 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 102839
  • Joined: 02/01/2010
  • Location:Chicago, IL
GolfWRX Likes : 21010

Posted 05 July 2018 - 01:19 PM

Yikes. Two at -9, and 12 players at -5 or better? This event is giving birdie fests a bad name.

21

#22 Stooch

Stooch

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 289 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 481884
  • Joined: 09/14/2017
  • Location:Ontario, Canada
  • Handicap:15
GolfWRX Likes : 261

Posted 05 July 2018 - 01:32 PM

View PostArgonne69, on 05 July 2018 - 01:19 PM, said:

Yikes. Two at -9, and 12 players at -5 or better? This event is giving birdie fests a bad name.
When a 59 isn't gonna surprise you, yeah I think we can called a easy track lol

22

#23 Argonne69

Argonne69

    Legend

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,554 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 102839
  • Joined: 02/01/2010
  • Location:Chicago, IL
GolfWRX Likes : 21010

Posted 05 July 2018 - 01:46 PM

View PostStooch, on 05 July 2018 - 01:32 PM, said:

View PostArgonne69, on 05 July 2018 - 01:19 PM, said:

Yikes. Two at -9, and 12 players at -5 or better? This event is giving birdie fests a bad name.
When a 59 isn't gonna surprise you, yeah I think we can called a easy track lol

I think we're looking at a possible winning score of better than -30.

23

#24 Stooch

Stooch

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 289 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 481884
  • Joined: 09/14/2017
  • Location:Ontario, Canada
  • Handicap:15
GolfWRX Likes : 261

Posted 05 July 2018 - 01:52 PM

View PostArgonne69, on 05 July 2018 - 01:46 PM, said:

View PostStooch, on 05 July 2018 - 01:32 PM, said:

View PostArgonne69, on 05 July 2018 - 01:19 PM, said:

Yikes. Two at -9, and 12 players at -5 or better? This event is giving birdie fests a bad name.
When a 59 isn't gonna surprise you, yeah I think we can called a easy track lol

I think we're looking at a possible winning score of better than -30.
I wanna see the thickness of the rough, thick rough and more narrow fairways could build up the defense.  The again I guess a scoring exhibition isn't the worst thing as long as it doesn't happen all the time

24

#25 DavePelz4

DavePelz4

    Legend

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 22,549 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 69051
  • Joined: 11/10/2008
  • Location:A golf course in the Chicago area.
GolfWRX Likes : 23217

Posted 05 July 2018 - 02:10 PM

This scoring looks like Aaron Rodgers against the Bears.


25

#26 Stooch

Stooch

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 289 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 481884
  • Joined: 09/14/2017
  • Location:Ontario, Canada
  • Handicap:15
GolfWRX Likes : 261

Posted 05 July 2018 - 04:17 PM

The Greenbrier will come out the weather delay at 6:20 and no LPGA coverage for us today lol

26

#27 Shilgy

Shilgy

    Hall of Fame

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,335 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 235237
  • Joined: 03/07/2013
  • Location:Phoenix
  • Handicap:3.1
GolfWRX Likes : 6109

Posted 05 July 2018 - 04:23 PM

Based on the scorecard the course would be rated about 71.5 128 slope at the scorecrds 6502 LPGA tees.

http://www.golfthorn...ard-LEGENDS.pdf
TM M3 440 10* Graphite Design BB6s
TM M1 3w 14*  Graphite Design BB7s
TM M2  5w 18* Fujikura Atmos TS Blue 8S or Srixon U65 18° Atmos Red 7s
Adams A12 UST Silver S 21°
Srixon Z765 5-AW Nippon Pro Modus3 125S
Titleist Vokey 54*F  58*S
Toulon Garage Rochester/ Toulon Rochester

To paraphrase Dr Seuss: Don't cry because the round of golf is over-smile because it happened .  :)

27

#28 Shilgy

Shilgy

    Hall of Fame

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,335 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 235237
  • Joined: 03/07/2013
  • Location:Phoenix
  • Handicap:3.1
GolfWRX Likes : 6109

Posted 05 July 2018 - 04:25 PM

View PostStooch, on 05 July 2018 - 04:17 PM, said:

The Greenbrier will come out the weather delay at 6:20 and no LPGA coverage for us today lol
When this happens wouldn't it be nice if the GC would run the LPGA later tonight rather than a rerun of the PGA?
TM M3 440 10* Graphite Design BB6s
TM M1 3w 14*  Graphite Design BB7s
TM M2  5w 18* Fujikura Atmos TS Blue 8S or Srixon U65 18° Atmos Red 7s
Adams A12 UST Silver S 21°
Srixon Z765 5-AW Nippon Pro Modus3 125S
Titleist Vokey 54*F  58*S
Toulon Garage Rochester/ Toulon Rochester

To paraphrase Dr Seuss: Don't cry because the round of golf is over-smile because it happened .  :)

28

#29 Stooch

Stooch

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 289 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 481884
  • Joined: 09/14/2017
  • Location:Ontario, Canada
  • Handicap:15
GolfWRX Likes : 261

Posted 05 July 2018 - 04:29 PM

View PostShilgy, on 05 July 2018 - 04:25 PM, said:

View PostStooch, on 05 July 2018 - 04:17 PM, said:

The Greenbrier will come out the weather delay at 6:20 and no LPGA coverage for us today lol
When this happens wouldn't it be nice if the GC would run the LPGA later tonight rather than a rerun of the PGA?
They'd probably to Golf Central then probably show the LPGA.

29

#30 Stooch

Stooch

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 289 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 481884
  • Joined: 09/14/2017
  • Location:Ontario, Canada
  • Handicap:15
GolfWRX Likes : 261

Posted 05 July 2018 - 04:39 PM

SHP must have been partying hard this week after the win, +1 after 12 is a bit of a shock, though it does to be play a touch more difficult in the afternoon


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

30



0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors