Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Disappointed in quality of Bushnell Tour V3 rangefinder - broken

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 roll - gybe

roll - gybe

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,346 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 59949
GolfWRX Likes : 97

Posted 01 July 2018 - 06:39 AM

Two years ago I replaced a high quality older generation Bushnell early generation rangefinder. This rangefinder lasted 10 years! The big black and sliver guy.

So two years ago my thought process was: these have to cost less now since everyone is using them; compact would be nice so I can put it in my pocket; and wow the big rangefinder is still quite expensive.

So I purchased the Bushnell V3 Tour. Immediately when I got it, I was bummed. It felt like a toy and it didnít pick up objects like my old rangefinder. Well ok, as long as it lasts I thought...

Fast forward 23 months. I embarked on an epic trip to Ireland. As I was packing my golf bag I though, ďman it would stink it the airline broke my rangefinder.Ē And I decided to wrap it up in a fleece and carry it on in my backpack.

On the second hole of the trip it stopped working. Changing the battery did not help. By the time I got home and took a business trip the warranty was out. Geez - planned obselecence.

I made the mistake of buying over the internet so I never held it it my hands to realize how flimsy the rangefinder would be. Shame on me. I should have changed course when I opened it up and returned it. My cost of ownership was $150/yr.  My previous rangefinder was so much better.

Just want to vent and share. The only research I did was stick with the Bushnell brand and observe what other guys were using (which at the time was V2). So I will add my experience to the mix for other guys to consider.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#2 fawley

fawley

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 320 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 3167
  • Handicap:6
GolfWRX Likes : 375

Posted 01 July 2018 - 06:44 AM

That sucks.

What did Bushnell say when you called them?

#3 Socrates

Socrates

How can it be so *&#% hard to make a shoulder turn?

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 8,781 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 60534
  • Handicap:4ish
GolfWRX Likes : 3799

Posted 01 July 2018 - 06:54 AM

So two years ago my thought process was: these have to cost less now since everyone is using them; compact would be nice so I can put it in my pocket; and wow the big rangefinder is still quite expensive.

This is flawed thinking.  The only reason an item will cost less, is if it is made cheaper.  A broken wire between the battery and circuit board is common.  I took my V2 apart - soldered the wire and back in business.

Have had no issues with my TourX in 2 yrs.
Ping G400 9º TFC 419 Stiff at 45"
Jazz Bear Cat 3 wd Aerotech Stiff
Ping i20 3 Hyb 707H Stiff
X2 Hot 4_-PW Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
Vokey SM2 52º cc
Ping ES 56º and ES 60º
Scotty X7M Dual 38"
MCC Align Midsize

#4 Tzoid

Tzoid

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,263 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 5124
  • Handicap:5
  • Ebay ID:twallermizman
GolfWRX Likes : 528

Posted 01 July 2018 - 08:55 AM

This is why I buy Leupold products.  Their customer service is second to none.

You're apparently the exception and not the Rule with problems but that sucks.
Texan stranded in "The Peoples Republic of Maryland"
Ping G400 Max Driver Aldila Rogue Silver 110 M.S.I. 60
Ping G400 3 Wood Aldila Rogue Silver 110 M.S.I. 70
Ping G25 20 & Anser 23 Hybrid
ONOFF KURO 2015 4-PW N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 120S
Scratch 50 54 58 Forged Wedges  Nippon WV 115 Shafts
Scotty Cameron Newport 2 Studio Stainless
Ping Vault 2.0 Dale Anser Custom
Titleist Pro V-1X

#5 Sean2

Sean2

#TheWRX (Callaway Trip)

• 30,077 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 29539
  • Ebay ID:None
GolfWRX Likes : 17511

Posted 01 July 2018 - 12:46 PM

I had a Leoupold go kaput after the warranty expired. I contact them to see if it could be fixed. I sent it in. A couple of weeks later I received the latest unit at no charge.

Callaway Rogue
Callaway GBB Epic 16º/20º/24º
Callaway Steelhead XR 25º
Callaway Apex CF16 6-AW
Callaway MD3/MD-PM 54º/58º
Callaway "O" Works #7

#6 roll - gybe

roll - gybe

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,346 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 59949
GolfWRX Likes : 97

Posted 01 July 2018 - 01:14 PM

View PostSocrates, on 01 July 2018 - 06:54 AM, said:

This is flawed thinking.  The only reason an item will cost less, is if it is made cheaper.  A broken wire between the battery and circuit board is common.  I took my V2 apart - soldered the wire and back in business.

Nah itís not necessarily flawed thinking, but good on you for being a classically trained philosopher. One reason they should be less expensive is quantity sold and broad consumer adoption. Second reason is Mooreís law. But thanks for the insult

A nicer approach would be to detail what you found disconnected and indicate that you successfully resoldered the comment.

Edited by roll - gybe, 01 July 2018 - 01:41 PM.

#7 DLiver

DLiver

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,567 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 55921
GolfWRX Likes : 667

Posted 01 July 2018 - 01:14 PM

Leupold does have great customer service. They have to, because their rangefinders are horrible. They've replaced mine three times in two years. My buddy has had his replaced twice, and the current unit is very unreliable when giving yardage. I had a caddy whose Leupold didn't last 6 months. Awful product, so don't go there.

My Nikon 550 (an oldie) still works flawlessly despite being 10+ years old. I still use it when I have to send my Leupold in for service. If I had to get another, it would be a Nikon.

#8 cristphoto

cristphoto

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,193 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 42981
GolfWRX Likes : 663

Posted 02 July 2018 - 11:04 AM

Iíve had very good service from my Bushnell products (2 lasers and 2 gps watches over the last 8 years). Never any trouble but I take care not to drop them or get them wet from rain even though they are said to be rainproof.

#9 Socrates

Socrates

How can it be so *&#% hard to make a shoulder turn?

• 8,781 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 60534
  • Handicap:4ish
GolfWRX Likes : 3799

Posted 02 July 2018 - 01:02 PM

View Postroll - gybe, on 01 July 2018 - 01:14 PM, said:

View PostSocrates, on 01 July 2018 - 06:54 AM, said:

Nah it's not necessarily flawed thinking, but good on you for being a classically trained philosopher. One reason they should be less expensive is quantity sold and broad consumer adoption. Second reason is Moore's law. But thanks for the insult

A nicer approach would be to detail what you found disconnected and indicate that you successfully resoldered the comment.
You're welcome.  I think?

The problem with most of the laser units is that the cover is glued on so you have to pull it off carefully to access the screws that hold the unit together.  From there, it's just tracing lines with a continuity tester and then soldering the offending break.  Mine was battery contact to circuit board (those 6 yr olds don't do a very good job).  I used Shoe-Goo to re-attach the rubber cover.  Could have used Contact Cement if I had it.  Lasers are very simple devices and the only real thing that is very hard to fix is if you screw up the aiming device.   I 'dropped' an old one (very hard) and the aim point was far off the optical center.  Gave up on that one.
Ping G400 9º TFC 419 Stiff at 45"
Jazz Bear Cat 3 wd Aerotech Stiff
Ping i20 3 Hyb 707H Stiff
X2 Hot 4_-PW Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
Vokey SM2 52º cc
Ping ES 56º and ES 60º
Scotty X7M Dual 38"
MCC Align Midsize

#10 Precision Pro Golf

Precision Pro Golf

• Sponsors
  • 218 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 414432
GolfWRX Likes : 91

Posted 02 July 2018 - 01:09 PM

View Postroll - gybe, on 01 July 2018 - 06:39 AM, said:

For what it's worth, we think you're logic is perfectly sound. :) And, if you don't mind, we'd love to share our opinion on this topic.

The whole idea that "if it's more expensive it has to be better" is a fallacy, but an easy trap to fall in to. The truth is the only guarantee a more costly product offers is a lighter wallet. One company established market share over the years, which allowed them to increase prices with minimal improvements. But the truth is that when you strip away the names, logos and fancy proprietary labels, our NX7 Pro offers the same features, same quality but at a substantially lower price. AND... we are confident that we offer the best customer service in the industry. The bottom line is we're a small group of golfers on a mission to break this fallacy -- that the best rangefinder has to be the most expensive -- and help you keep more of your hard-earned money in your pocket.

If you haven't heard about us, feel free to browse our site and take a look. And, if you ever have any questions, just reach out. We're always happy to chat!

Thanks for letting us weigh in. We always appreciate the conversation on this forum! Smart golfers with great opinions.

Swing with Confidence. Hit More Greens.
$20 OFF with Discount Code GOLFWRX.
www.precisionprogolf.com

Posted Image

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#11 RSinSG

RSinSG

Major Winner

• 2,668 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 300931
  • Handicap:5.3
GolfWRX Likes : 2044

Posted 02 July 2018 - 02:18 PM

That's a horrible time to have a failure. I've had a V3 for several years now with no issues. I'm not sure its an engineering or QC problem in the units design but rather you got a clunker.
Ping G400 Tour AD DI6s
Ping G30 3 wood, 5 wood
Ben Hogan VTKR 21* hybrid
Ping G30 Irons 5-SW, Steel Fiber i95
Ping Glide 60* LW
Scotty Cameron Studio Blade (or) Scotty Cameron Fastback
Gamegolf

https://www.ledges.com/ Home course

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors