Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

As a higher capper, and urethane balls

36 replies to this topic

#31 adam667220

adam667220

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 629 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 373857
GolfWRX Likes : 542

Posted 09 July 2018 - 08:22 PM

View Postpropman, on 09 July 2018 - 06:30 PM, said:

I'm a 14 capper. Like to bump/run wedge shots.  I never see a difference in my scores based on what ball I play.  Differences in my scores are based on how well/badly I'm hitting/putting the ball.  Sorry if I am sounding like Captain Obvious here.

I can't help but think many mid/high cappers are too concerned about what ball they play.

When I do purchase balls, I look to get reasonably priced balls like the duo, e6, supersoft, qst. Often times I get AAAAA recycled balls.  In fact, I think buying AAAAA is an excellent way to test different balls (if you think balls matter).
Agreed. I'm a 6-8 cap and still play better golf with a 2 piece Top Flite than any 3 or 4 piece urethane. I've tried and every time I buy fancy new balls my scores go up. I lose more strokes tee to green with them than I gain in the couple instances I need more spin.

I understand certain green or weather conditions requiring a ball with more spin but generally speaking, it's probably not helping you as much as you hope it does. If you're a high enough capper you can't consistently execute your shots anyway, a high performance ball is just putting that much more pressure on you.

I prefer to enjoy my rounds. lol

Edited by adam667220, 09 July 2018 - 08:23 PM.

BC+ Driver 10.5°
BC+ 5 wood 16°
Adam Idea Super XTD hybrid 21°
Callaway X2 Hot Irons 5-AW
52°,56°, 60° wedges
Odyssey White Hot Pro 2cs

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#32 BMC

BMC

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,100 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 108173
  • Handicap:YES
GolfWRX Likes : 2939

Posted 09 July 2018 - 09:11 PM

View PostNorth Butte, on 09 July 2018 - 08:00 PM, said:

View PostBMC, on 09 July 2018 - 07:55 PM, said:

The most important decision is to play the same ball all the time to develop consistency.

I play the Titleist Tour Soft.

Do you find it scuffs up quicker than, say, a NXT or a ProV1. I found a like-new one and played it for several holes and it already had a couple of (very slight) marks on it. I wonder if they are upping the spin by using a very, very soft cover.

Feels softer than an NXT, yet still solid.  It doesn't spin much, but I'm a high ball hitter, even around the greens.  It's seems normal for durability.  Less clicky than the Pro Vs.
NIKE Vapor Pro driver
Callaway Rogue 4 wood
Cobra Baffler Pro 4-hybrid
MacGregor VIP (1990) irons PW-5
Vokey wedges
Odyssey #7 Tank 38"

#33 Break81

Break81

Broke80

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,755 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 263738
  • Handicap:9.5
  • Ebay ID:marcbogey
GolfWRX Likes : 608

Posted 09 July 2018 - 09:19 PM

So here is a couple interesting , recent things I have seen first hand.

* Last month standing on the tee I was telling guy about the Srixon deals, he said , " I don't mind paying more for my ProV1s , they give me what I need around the greens."  This was a tournament and he was a 23.4 index.  What performance was he getting? Would he be a 30 index playing a Velocity?

*  This weekend played with a 21 cap in our monthly event.  He could spin his V1X like a mad man but every single time he did he would end 20 feet further away from the hole vs if he played a ball that just hopped and stopped.  Yeah watching the ball suck back looks cool but if you can't take some spin off when you need too your only making the putting game harder.  He could probably be a 18-19 simply by playing a ball that spins less.

*  Lastly my personal experience. I have been a big fan of the XV and CS for a while and both can be had pretty inexpensively, however first bought some TF Gamers last Black Friday and now loaded up on a bunch for $7.50 a dozen.  On the greens I usually play on, soft and receptive muni greens, they not only stop even on short shots, but can back up a few feet if I have a nice lie to work with.  I could play the TF Gamer and my index would not go up, it might even go down..... not sure but it proved to me that the cover while important, isn't everything.
Cobra F7+ - Stiff
   Cobra F7 - 5/6 set at 17*
  Ping 22 degree Hybrid
Mizuno JPX850 Forger 4-GW - XP115 S300
Callaway Forged 52 degree
Titleist 55 F grind / 60 M grind
EVNROLL ER5
  Chrome Soft Truvis / TF Gamer

#34 North Butte

North Butte

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,825 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 424472
GolfWRX Likes : 6881

Posted 10 July 2018 - 05:42 AM

View PostBreak81, on 09 July 2018 - 09:19 PM, said:

*  Lastly my personal experience. I have been a big fan of the XV and CS for a while and both can be had pretty inexpensively, however first bought some TF Gamers last Black Friday and now loaded up on a bunch for $7.50 a dozen.  On the greens I usually play on, soft and receptive muni greens, they not only stop even on short shots, but can back up a few feet if I have a nice lie to work with.  I could play the TF Gamer and my index would not go up, it might even go down..... not sure but it proved to me that the cover while important, isn't everything.

When I had been playing golf a couple years I made my first trip up north and played on Bent grass greens. I was using Top Flite XL distance rocks and back home I had to land every single iron shot five yards short of the greens and bounce it on.

Those overwatered squishy public course greens on OH we’re like nothing I’d ever seen. Hole after hole I had to repair a crater of a ball mark. The ball would either be plugged or it would hop out of the pitch mark and stop a few inches away. I thought golf was a far simpler proposition in those conditions.

I’m not sure I’d ever even seen a pitch mark on the greens back home, the cheap course I learned to play on had Common Bermuda greens (and fairways) that probably Stimped about 6 and were as firm as asphalt.

If I had approach shots plugging on the greens it wouldn’t matter what ball I used. But I don’t.
Everything has its drawbacks, as the man said when his mother-in-law died, and they came down upon him for the funeral expenses.

#35 brew4eagle

brew4eagle

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,105 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 12175
  • Handicap:10
  • Ebay ID:jdbrewer
GolfWRX Likes : 643

Posted 10 July 2018 - 06:28 AM

View PostNorth Butte, on 10 July 2018 - 05:42 AM, said:

When I had been playing golf a couple years I made my first trip up north and played on Bent grass greens. I was using Top Flite XL distance rocks and back home I had to land every single iron shot five yards short of the greens and bounce it on.

Those overwatered squishy public course greens on OH were like nothing Id ever seen. Hole after hole I had to repair a crater of a ball mark. The ball would either be plugged or it would hop out of the pitch mark and stop a few inches away. I thought golf was a far simpler proposition in those conditions.

Im not sure Id ever even seen a pitch mark on the greens back home, the cheap course I learned to play on had Common Bermuda greens (and fairways) that probably Stimped about 6 and were as firm as asphalt.

If I had approach shots plugging on the greens it wouldnt matter what ball I used. But I dont.
Plenty of those types of greens here in VA.  Worst thing about them is that too many dummies either don't bother to or don't know how to repair the craters.

PING i20 10.5*
Adams a7 19*
Nike VR Forged Pro Combo 4-P
(Titleist 716 AP1 5-W)
Vokey SM6 52.08F*, 58.08M*
Cameron Studio Select Newport '08
Srixon Q Star Tour

#36 North Butte

North Butte

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,825 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 424472
GolfWRX Likes : 6881

Posted 10 July 2018 - 06:57 AM

View Postbrew4eagle, on 10 July 2018 - 06:28 AM, said:

View PostNorth Butte, on 10 July 2018 - 05:42 AM, said:

Those overwatered squishy public course greens on OH we’re like nothing I’d ever seen. Hole after hole I had to repair a crater of a ball mark. The ball would either be plugged or it would hop out of the pitch mark and stop a few inches away. I thought golf was a far simpler proposition in those conditions.

I’m not sure I’d ever even seen a pitch mark on the greens back home, the cheap course I learned to play on had Common Bermuda greens (and fairways) that probably Stimped about 6 and were as firm as asphalt.

If I had approach shots plugging on the greens it wouldn’t matter what ball I used. But I don’t.
Plenty of those types of greens here in VA.  Worst thing about them is that too many dummies either don't bother to or don't know how to repair the craters.

Yeah compared to Bermuda I remember the ball rolling great on that Bent grass...except for bumping over old ball marks every two feet or so!
Everything has its drawbacks, as the man said when his mother-in-law died, and they came down upon him for the funeral expenses.

#37 Chewey85

Chewey85

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 481436
GolfWRX Likes : 62

Posted 10 July 2018 - 01:19 PM

Bogey golfer.... I play prov1x because of the greenside control. I just don't buy them new. Plenty cheap buying 5a used on ebay.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors