Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

My new hybrid

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Dcohenour

Dcohenour

"Kill Kill Kill the ball does not work." ~ Wriggles

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 462 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 469404
  • Handicap:23.6
GolfWRX Likes : 698

Posted 28 June 2018 - 08:18 PM

I can't wait to get to the course and show off my new hybrid to the kid who plays all the whizbang clubs.
Attached File  rps20180628_201119.jpg   90.18K   15 downloads
And then I pull off the cover and say, " Oh wait! What's this now?"
Attached File  rps20180628_201251.jpg   52.46K   14 downloads
Ha!

WCWB Member #3
Vintage: Wilson irons, H&B Power-Bilt Citation woods, Louisville Golf Smart Persimmon Driver
Wisconsin Classic Woods & Blades Vlog: https://www.youtube....VFn6ZHLEczLYa1g
Senior Golfer Vlog: https://www.youtube....?view_as=public
Senior Bag: Clones & Hybrids - senior flex graphite

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#2 HumbleGolfer

HumbleGolfer

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 278 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 459888
  • Handicap:14
  • Ebay ID:scotpeterse0
GolfWRX Likes : 405

Posted 28 June 2018 - 08:49 PM

Ha indeed!!!  Nice!

#3 cardoustie

cardoustie

haha, we don't play for 5's

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,568 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 65255
  • Handicap:3.6
GolfWRX Likes : 6606

Posted 28 June 2018 - 10:43 PM

Crafty like a fox
Ping G400max 10.5* Aldila Xtorsion 60x
Callaway GBB 3w 16* Mitsu Diamana BB 63x
Ping G25 7w 20* Aldila NVS Pink 85x
Callaway Apex 4h 23* Matrix Altus Red 92sx
Callaway Apex 5h 26* Matrix HQ3 Altus 92x
Ping s55 6i - PW Nippon 1150ghx
Titleist Vokey TVD SM2 50*  54*  60*  64*
Titleist Scotty x7M

#4 baloo

baloo

A Person

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 897 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 140341
  • Handicap:4
  • Ebay ID:k2baloo
GolfWRX Likes : 535

Posted 28 June 2018 - 11:06 PM

Lol, nice.

I'm working on a hybrid-like club. An old Powerbilt 5 wood that I cut down an inch and added weight to.
Driver, 3W, 4W - Macgregor Custom Tourney
2i-9i - 75' Custom Wilson Dynapowers
PW, SW - Wilson Staff
Putter - Bullseye

YT Channel - https://www.youtube....PlayVintageGolf

#5 Dcohenour

Dcohenour

"Kill Kill Kill the ball does not work." ~ Wriggles

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 462 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 469404
  • Handicap:23.6
GolfWRX Likes : 698

Posted 29 June 2018 - 04:57 AM

View Postbaloo, on 28 June 2018 - 11:06 PM, said:

Lol, nice.

I'm working on a hybrid-like club. An old Powerbilt 5 wood that I cut down an inch and added weight to.

Sounds interesting. It's really amazing how similar in size and weight this 5 wood is to my actual modern hybrid.

Funny thing was, as I was checking out at the thrift store with it yesterday, one of the ladies who volunteers there took note and asked me from the other checkout station "is that a hybrid?"

She went on to explain how she needs a 5 hybrid for more distance. I offered to sell her the one I was buying for $10. Lol. Then I reminder her that her own store often has nice 5 woods that would work just fine and would be a cheap experiment for her. She looked at me like I was nuts.

But really, what is a 4 or 5 hy but a 4 & 5 wood anyway? I could turn this into a 5hy just by epoxying two brass bars on the sole and rounding them off a bit.

And the price for the hybrid clubs is kind of nutty if you ask me.

I've had a bit of trouble in the past with 5 woods, but this one hits beautifully. A nice high fade for me. Tried it, the Ram 4W, & that Diawa driver out last night. Hit all three very well, so they are going out on Saturday at sunrise.

Good luck with your experiment! Next time we play BDCC maybe I can give it a swing...

Edited by Dcohenour, 29 June 2018 - 04:58 AM.

WCWB Member #3
Vintage: Wilson irons, H&B Power-Bilt Citation woods, Louisville Golf Smart Persimmon Driver
Wisconsin Classic Woods & Blades Vlog: https://www.youtube....VFn6ZHLEczLYa1g
Senior Golfer Vlog: https://www.youtube....?view_as=public
Senior Bag: Clones & Hybrids - senior flex graphite

#6 Shallowface

Shallowface

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,348 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 16569
GolfWRX Likes : 1102

Posted 29 June 2018 - 06:38 AM

View PostDcohenour, on 29 June 2018 - 04:57 AM, said:

View Postbaloo, on 28 June 2018 - 11:06 PM, said:

Lol, nice.

Sounds interesting. It's really amazing how similar in size and weight this 5 wood is to my actual modern hybrid.

Funny thing was, as I was checking out at the thrift store with it yesterday, one of the ladies who volunteers there took note and asked me from the other checkout station "is that a hybrid?"

She went on to explain how she needs a 5 hybrid for more distance. I offered to sell her the one I was buying for $10. Lol. Then I reminder her that her own store often has nice 5 woods that would work just fine and would be a cheap experiment for her. She looked at me like I was nuts.

But really, what is a 4 or 5 hy but a 4 & 5 wood anyway? I could turn this into a 5hy just by epoxying two brass bars on the sole and rounding them off a bit.

And the price for the hybrid clubs is kind of nutty if you ask me.

I've had a bit of trouble in the past with 5 woods, but this one hits beautifully. A nice high fade for me. Tried it, the Ram 4W, & that Diawa driver out last night. Hit all three very well, so they are going out on Saturday at sunrise.

Good luck with your experiment! Next time we play BDCC maybe I can give it a swing...

Some thrift stores won't permit their employees to shop there.  I've certainly seen that message posted at Goodwill in different areas.  I guess they want to try to eliminate the perception that the "good stuff" never makes it to the floor.

Of course, there are ways around that.  I know of one charity shop that has a customer that shows up every morning before the store opens.  They let him in the back and he cherry picks the clubs that came in the day before.  I've seen the stuff he gets and it's the more current stuff that I have no interest in, and I'm sure it goes straight to Ebay.  I'll admit something doesn't smell quite right about such a practice, but the customer gets what he wants and the shop gets what it wants.

I know of another place where there's a customer that's 81 years of age.  Now, he gets no special privileges or anything, but he is at the store every morning when it opens.  It is amusing (to me anyway) to see stuff on Ebay that I saw at the store just a day earlier.  He has begged me to come to his house and buy clubs out of his garage, but I told him I had no interest in paying 20 bucks for a club that he bought for 69 cents!

With over 1,000 clubs in my possession (although I probably don't have $2,000 sunk into the entire mess.  I could have spent that much on one modern set.  But where's the fun in that?), I probably should open a garage based store!

Edited by Shallowface, 29 June 2018 - 06:51 AM.

#7 wkuo3

wkuo3

RELEASE

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,900 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 20890
GolfWRX Likes : 510

Posted 29 June 2018 - 07:52 AM

I had never bought any golf club because of resale .
Always thought of the purchase as I have use for it, either bag it for play or I have use for the components to fix up existing inventory.

Same theory  apply for the found golf balls on the golf course.  If I won't play it, I won't pick it up.  I know a few golfers have barrels of the used golf balls in their garage and they'll probably never get to the bottom of the stuff , ever.    I know some will pick up a premium golf ball regardless if that's a good fit for their game, simply because the premium golf balls were expensive when new..... can't take it with you, so let someone else have a little fun.

#8 Shallowface

Shallowface

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,348 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 16569
GolfWRX Likes : 1102

Posted 29 June 2018 - 09:37 AM

View Postwkuo3, on 29 June 2018 - 07:52 AM, said:

Always thought of the purchase as I have use for it, either bag it for play or I have use for the components to fix up existing inventory.

Same theory  apply for the found golf balls on the golf course.  If I won't play it, I won't pick it up.  I know a few golfers have barrels of the used golf balls in their garage and they'll probably never get to the bottom of the stuff , ever. I know some will pick up a premium golf ball regardless if that's a good fit for their game, simply because the premium golf balls were expensive when new..... can't take it with you, so let someone else have a little fun.

It's been increasingly slim pickings the last couple of years in the thrifts for me.  Like anything else, there is a finite supply of old golf clubs.  Just not seeing much at all these days.

One would think we might start seeing some clubs of more recent vintage donated to the thrifts.  While I am sure there will be some of that, it may not be in the numbers to which we've grown accustomed.  While I don't have any figures, I've got to believe there have been a lot fewer clubs sold in recent years compared to when the game was at its peak.  Fewer sales of recent product means less of that product showing up in the thrifts.

Regarding purchasing clubs for resale, I've noticed there seems to be a real decline in interest in older clubs when it comes to Ebay.  I have a number of clubs I follow through "saved searches," and I've seen that clubs that at one time sold quickly and for decent money just sit there today, despite some of them being marked down to thrift store prices plus shipping.  Purchasing clubs for the purpose of resale is not something I would care to get involved in at this point.

#9 Chris122

Chris122

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 331 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 409580
GolfWRX Likes : 512

Posted 29 June 2018 - 12:07 PM

Same theory  apply for the found golf balls on the golf course.  If I won't play it, I won't pick it up.  I know a few golfers have barrels of the used golf balls in their garage and they'll probably never get to the bottom of the stuff , ever. I know some will pick up a premium golf ball regardless if that's a good fit for their game, simply because the premium golf balls were expensive when new..... can't take it with you, so let someone else have a little fun.

I could never resist a 'finder',probably because I could not afford much when I started playing but now give them to my playing partners who being Yorkshiremen and tighter than a duck's backside,are absolutely delighted.

#10 wkuo3

wkuo3

RELEASE

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,900 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2018 - 03:22 PM

View PostShallowface, on 29 June 2018 - 09:37 AM, said:

It's been increasingly slim pickings the last couple of years in the thrifts for me.  Like anything else, there is a finite supply of old golf clubs.  Just not seeing much at all these days.

One would think we might start seeing some clubs of more recent vintage donated to the thrifts.  While I am sure there will be some of that, it may not be in the numbers to which we've grown accustomed.  While I don't have any figures, I've got to believe there have been a lot fewer clubs sold in recent years compared to when the game was at its peak.  Fewer sales of recent product means less of that product showing up in the thrifts.

Regarding purchasing clubs for resale, I've noticed there seems to be a real decline in interest in older clubs when it comes to Ebay.  I have a number of clubs I follow through "saved searches," and I've seen that clubs that at one time sold quickly and for decent money just sit there today, despite some of them being marked down to thrift store prices plus shipping.  Purchasing clubs for the purpose of resale is not something I would care to get involved in at this point.

Thanks to forum like this one , more had picked up the idea of the newest is not always the best.  So a lot of golfers had revert back to keeping their bag for a few years longer.  More are shopping at the thrift stores now since news got out older golf clubs could be had for cheap.
The ripple effect of flooding the market with new golf clubs brought on more used golf clubs on the auction block... no young golfers wants a nice set of golf clubs unless it's the recent models from top OEM .

I still love my current bag, the more recent club in it is a 2012 driver.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#11 wkuo3

wkuo3

RELEASE

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,900 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2018 - 03:27 PM

View PostChris122, on 29 June 2018 - 12:07 PM, said:

I could never resist a 'finder',probably because I could not afford much when I started playing but now give them to my playing partners who being Yorkshiremen and tighter than a duck's backside,are absolutely delighted.

I just passed a Hiro Honma 3 wood in the thrift store.  Didn't regret it because I would not play that one.  Also handled a set of Ben Hogan Apex II, seemed to be Japanese model with shaft bands with Japanese stamping on it. 3-PW, some ferrules are faded needs replacement , probably should reshaft with new epoxy if someone wants to play it.  Heads are in good condition except for the sole on the E wedge had browning of the chrome finishing.
Passed on that for $3.99 each.

#12 TimV

TimV

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,256 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 38964
  • Handicap:yes
  • Ebay ID:viceman-1
GolfWRX Likes : 1666

Posted 29 June 2018 - 05:55 PM

Speaking of 'making your own hybrids' I have found that cut down and lead taped 5 & 7 wood TaylorMade Pittsburg Persimmon Railors and Tour Cleeks work great!

Edited by TimV, 29 June 2018 - 05:57 PM.

Vintage:
60-61 Wilson Staff 2-PW w/t MacGregor Tourney Persimmon Driver & 4 Wood, Wilson Sam Snead Signature Brass Putter

Classic:
71-72 Wilson Staff Button Backs 2-SW w/t Wilson System 3000 Persimmon Driver and 3 Wood, MacGregor Tourney SAT 5 Wood, Wilson Sam Snead Pay-Off Putter

Modern Classic:
Mizuno Grad MP 2 Iron, 84-85 Mizuno Cimarron 3-PW Blades & Mizuno RSF 90 BeCu w/t 10* Callaway Warbird Great Big Bertha Ruger Driver, Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead III 3 Wood, & Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead Plus 7 Wood, Brass Slotline Putter

Modern:
07 Ping G10 (YD) Draw Driver & 4 Wood, 3 & 4 Hybrid, 5-SW w/t Ping Anser Putter

Farcical:
lil' David Slingers 2-PW, I haven't put any woods or putter with these as I can't bring myself to play them.  

Founding Father of the Jolly Roger Golf Association Member #1 and only...
(You can join but you have to get the tattoo)

Spank the Persimmon or Walk the Plank!

#13 1ironcharlie

1ironcharlie

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 482210
  • Handicap:8
GolfWRX Likes : 74

Posted 18 July 2018 - 07:42 PM

View Postwkuo3, on 29 June 2018 - 03:22 PM, said:

View PostShallowface, on 29 June 2018 - 09:37 AM, said:

Same theory  apply for the found golf balls on the golf course.  If I won't play it, I won't pick it up.  I know a few golfers have barrels of the used golf balls in their garage and they'll probably never get to the bottom of the stuff , ever.    I know some will pick up a premium golf ball regardless if that's a good fit for their game, simply because the premium golf balls were expensive when new..... can't take it with you, so let someone else have a little fun.

Thanks to forum like this one , more had picked up the idea of the newest is not always the best.  So a lot of golfers had revert back to keeping their bag for a few years longer.  More are shopping at the thrift stores now since news got out older golf clubs could be had for cheap.
The ripple effect of flooding the market with new golf clubs brought on more used golf clubs on the auction block... no young golfers wants a nice set of golf clubs unless it's the recent models from top OEM .

I still love my current bag, the more recent club in it is a 2012 driver.

While it is absolutely true some clubs that used to be the cats pajamas just sit there like so much flotsam (Spalding tour editions, ugh) I must disagree with you on one point. I believe the generation currently in their mid twenties to early thirties have/are/will gain a deeper appreciation and thereby create higher demand for vintage clubs than the generation that came up swinging lumber. It was true with hickory, it'll be true with steel and persimmon. Every generation wishes it were the one before, for innumerable reasons, but we always seem to want what we were just barely too young to remember. When I was a kid, long before golf ate my soul and purpose in life, I remember my brother in law and his father gagaing over one of the first burners, making fun of their old drivers and the guys in thier foursome that swung them. When I started playing 10 years later, wooden clubs were non existent and much derided. As you go along your personal heros journey there comes a point where you seek arcane, secret knowledge to help you vanquish your foes, and while I don't see many other thirty something's out there with persimmon and blade, I see more than I used to . Add to that my generations appreciation for thrift ( we became adults during the recession ) and well... It's only a matter of time...

Edited by 1ironcharlie, 18 July 2018 - 07:44 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors