Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

How do you know when it's enough?

37 replies to this topic

#31 sb944

sb944

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 478852
  • Handicap:22
GolfWRX Likes : 28

Posted 28 June 2018 - 12:31 AM

Here is my current state of golf:
*  Play a practice sim round at the best courses in the world, can regularly shoot around par often under par, fun.
*  Play a TGC online competition sim round, can still shoot under par (-5 in the latest comp), but probably 3-5 shots worse than practice round on average.  But more fun than just playing practice.
*  Play real life practice 9.  Shoot +3 to +6 regularly.  But more fun than sim golf, fun just walking the course, taking in the chance to be outdoors.  
*  Play real life competition.  Lucky to break 22 handicap!  By far the most frustraing golf I ever play, but also by very far my most enjoyable.  It is an experience that I enjoy far beyond where the ball is going, and in some ways I wish I could put aside any ambition to improve, and just devote myself to enjoying comp golf for what it is.  However, there is a part of me that feels the need to improve, and isn't happy to just make it to the 19th and laugh about the crazy shots.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#32 MiamiBall

MiamiBall

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 222 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 297291
GolfWRX Likes : 86

Posted 28 June 2018 - 05:03 AM

What are you actually doing in your practice time?

I also didn't really keep score for years - just went out and tried to make a couple pars or hit some good shots. I didn't keep score until I was shooting in the 80s - it was just frustrating to be counting up your 7s and 8s.

#33 gir2

gir2

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 28756
GolfWRX Likes : 10

Posted 29 June 2018 - 01:44 PM

Never give up.  Never give in.  Get better or die trying.  That's the way I see it.

#34 leekgolf

leekgolf

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,174 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 1950
  • Handicap:9
GolfWRX Likes : 102

Posted 29 June 2018 - 01:57 PM

View Postom18v, on 26 June 2018 - 03:23 PM, said:

I have made and observation from some of the replies.  Maybe having a goal is the issue.  My goal is to break 100 on every round.  When it appears that is not going to happen on any given round I tend to get frustrated and give up.  Also when I start knocking the ball all over the place pace of play comes to mind.  I get concerned about the players behind even when our group is not holding anyone up.  That puts extra pressure on me so I start rushing my shots.

I believe I will take a break from playing for a while and concentrate on range time.  Some time off the course may help clear my head.

Maybe the goal is the problem. When your goal is based on the entire round, you can reach a point where your goal is likely out of reach. That can cause us to lose interest.

Here's something that may help. What if you make a series of 3 hole goals?

Say the first 3 holes are par 4, par 4, par 3. What if your goal for the three holes is 16 total strokes? Maybe the next 3 holes are par 5, par 4, par 5 so maybe the goal is 19 total strokes. No matter how you do toward each goal, you keep getting a chance to meet your goal and no matter what, you get a fresh start 6 times per round. Try it, it might help you.

#35 nemoblack

nemoblack

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 267 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 2795
GolfWRX Likes : 183

Posted 29 June 2018 - 02:33 PM

View PostNard_S, on 27 June 2018 - 09:51 AM, said:

Work on your game from the green back, not the tee forward.

I totally agree with this, but for a reason that is not often stated.  Personally, I think the best reason for this approach is this: the most important skill to learn in golf is teaching your hands how to put the clubface squarely on the ball. If you can do this repeatedly and reliably, you can score. Teaching your hands this skill is easiest with the shortest clubs - putter, wedges, short irons, and then progressively towards the longer clubs. If you can strike the ball somewhat cleanly, you can slice, hook, push or pull and still score. On the other hand, if your misses are fats, thins, and otherwise off the edges of the clubface, you'll never score.

#36 joker2

joker2

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 375 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 268878
GolfWRX Likes : 188

Posted 11 July 2018 - 12:20 PM

Posted Image
Just say'in...

#37 Nard_S

Nard_S

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,840 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 335269
  • Handicap:9
GolfWRX Likes : 2204

Posted 11 July 2018 - 01:23 PM

View Postnemoblack, on 29 June 2018 - 02:33 PM, said:

View PostNard_S, on 27 June 2018 - 09:51 AM, said:

Work on your game from the green back, not the tee forward.

I totally agree with this, but for a reason that is not often stated.  Personally, I think the best reason for this approach is this: the most important skill to learn in golf is teaching your hands how to put the clubface squarely on the ball. If you can do this repeatedly and reliably, you can score. Teaching your hands this skill is easiest with the shortest clubs - putter, wedges, short irons, and then progressively towards the longer clubs. If you can strike the ball somewhat cleanly, you can slice, hook, push or pull and still score. On the other hand, if your misses are fats, thins, and otherwise off the edges of the clubface, you'll never score.

Yes, agree. Teaches a lot about proper role of hands and if you go advanced with it, a lot about entire connection of arm-hand-shoulder triangle. You cannot chip like Spieth without skills that ultimately transcend through the entire bag.

#38 oukeith

oukeith

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 436960
GolfWRX Likes : 36

Posted 11 July 2018 - 09:17 PM

These threads make no sense to me.  Itís a game.  Try to enjoy it.  If you find joy in the journey to try to improve, and you find joy in a well struck shot.....then there is your answer.  If not, then why do you have to ask?

If you are worried about the money. Maybe find a cheaper hobby?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors