Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Where They're From

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 leezer99

leezer99

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 663 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 94152
GolfWRX Likes : 569

Posted 22 June 2018 - 07:30 AM

Interesting article from The Fried Egg on where the top 100 pros come from.

Year round golf (warm weather climates) seems to be the catalyst to developing top players.  The article doesn't touch on it but it would be interesting to hear about families that uproot and move to the hotbeds of golf like San Diego or Jacksonville.  I know Anthony Kim's parents moved him from LA to a country club in Palm Springs so he could play more often.

The Fried Egg - Where They're From Article

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#2 hangontight

hangontight

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 303 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 477968
GolfWRX Likes : 160

Posted 22 June 2018 - 07:42 AM

Has anyone here moved to a different place where better golf has played a big part in that decision?  It could be for a better opportunity for your junior or maybe just a different lifestyle for you or your family?  Iíve considered it often (not moving cities, but moving to a golf neighborhood in same town we live), I am a golf nut and with young kids having immediate access to nice pool and everything else sounds great.  My YOUNG sons taking to golf has only strengthened the consideration- but knowing that he could turn in a few years and not like golf gives me pause.   Even if that happens , I think it could still be a good move for us as a whole.   There are some serious downsides like a longer commute, moving further from grandparents, etc.  curious to hear thoughts of those who have made a move (locally or actually to a ďbetterĒ climate) for better golf.

Edited by hangontight, 22 June 2018 - 07:43 AM.

#3 heavy_hitter

heavy_hitter

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,228 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 366715
GolfWRX Likes : 1676

Posted 22 June 2018 - 07:45 AM

View Posthangontight, on 22 June 2018 - 07:42 AM, said:

Has anyone here moved to a different place where better golf has played a big part in that decision?  It could be for a better opportunity for your junior or maybe just a different lifestyle for you or your family?  I’ve considered it often (not moving cities, but moving to a golf neighborhood in same town we live), I am a golf nut and with young kids having immediate access to nice pool and everything else sounds great.  My YOUNG sons taking to golf has only strengthened the consideration- but knowing that he could turn in a few years and not like golf gives me pause.   Even if that happens , I think it could still be a good move for us as a whole.   There are some serious downsides like a longer commute, moving further from grandparents, etc.  curious to hear thoughts of those who have made a move (locally or actually to a “better” climate) for better golf.

We moved to a golf community in our town.  It allowed my daughter to prosper on the course.  No limitations and allowed my daughter to go to course every day after school and practice.

She has friends that moved from the North to Florida to play.

#4 iteachgolf

iteachgolf

Legend

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,595 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 14489
GolfWRX Likes : 6269

Posted 22 June 2018 - 07:54 AM

Have had a number move here for better opportunities and year round golf from the north.  Cost of living being lower is another benefit.  Having a lot of great players in one area absolutely tends to raise all their games in an effort to keep up

#5 CTgolf

CTgolf

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 252 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 124521
GolfWRX Likes : 137

Posted 22 June 2018 - 08:09 AM

Great article

Surprising that there arenít any (except 1 NJ) from the Mid-Atlantic region; is North Carolina considered the northern boundary for year-round play?

#6 BertGA

BertGA

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 500442
GolfWRX Likes : 54

Posted 22 June 2018 - 08:39 AM

...holding my breath for the follow-up article discussing junior golf success for the top 100. :drinks:

#7 BrianMcG

BrianMcG

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,427 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 71565
GolfWRX Likes : 1732

Posted 22 June 2018 - 08:39 AM

All the best cross country skiers are from Norway and Sweden.

#8 leezer99

leezer99

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 663 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2018 - 08:44 AM

View PostBrianMcG, on 22 June 2018 - 08:39 AM, said:

All the best cross country skiers are from Norway and Sweden.

I get what you're insinuating but the question I asked was about parents that have uprooted from where they are to more of a golf 'hotbed'.

#9 CTgolf

CTgolf

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 252 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 124521
GolfWRX Likes : 137

Posted 22 June 2018 - 08:51 AM

Is it fair to assume the distribution is the same for D1 golfers as well?

Iím also surprised TX < GA in number of pros (7 vs 8) despite almost 3x the population

#10 leezer99

leezer99

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 663 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2018 - 08:55 AM

View PostCTgolf, on 22 June 2018 - 08:51 AM, said:

I'm also surprised TX < GA in number of pros (7 vs 8) despite almost 3x the population

Can't say for sure but I would assume that football participation is a huge factor.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#11 kcap

kcap

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 417624

Posted 22 June 2018 - 09:08 AM

I think this breakdown will change going forward.  While you can't replicate the level of competition etc, golf simulators technology has become really good and quite affordable.  (mevo, trackman, skytrak ) which has golf a 12 month sport in the Northeast for most juniors .   That was not the case 10, 15, or even 5 yrs ago.  

Being from the NE with a Jr golfer could make this wishful thinking but we shall see.

#12 iteachgolf

iteachgolf

Legend

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,595 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 14489
GolfWRX Likes : 6269

Posted 22 June 2018 - 10:03 AM

View Postkcap, on 22 June 2018 - 09:08 AM, said:

I think this breakdown will change going forward.  While you can't replicate the level of competition etc, golf simulators technology has become really good and quite affordable.  (mevo, trackman, skytrak ) which has golf a 12 month sport in the Northeast for most juniors .   That was not the case 10, 15, or even 5 yrs ago.  

Being from the NE with a Jr golfer could make this wishful thinking but we shall see.

I think itís more about the volume of good juniors and how it pushes all of them to get better.  The best players in many states wouldnít sniff top 10 in FL.  And that drives them to continuously improve

#13 tiger1873

tiger1873

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 445 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 340777
GolfWRX Likes : 196

Posted 22 June 2018 - 12:23 PM

View Postleezer99, on 22 June 2018 - 08:55 AM, said:

View PostCTgolf, on 22 June 2018 - 08:51 AM, said:

I'm also surprised TX < GA in number of pros (7 vs 8) despite almost 3x the population

Can't say for sure but I would assume that football participation is a huge factor.

I am not surprised I think it has to do with the type of courses you see in Texas vs elsewhere. Itís a very different type of game in Texas since the ground is so hard on a lot courses and and lots of courses run in between creeks. On the better courses you learn to be cautious or else your going to punished.

Other Areas like Florida your not dealing with hard tight lies in the fairway or rock hard greens that your ball bounces off like it hit a cart path.

Edited by tiger1873, 22 June 2018 - 12:26 PM.

#14 yellowlover519

yellowlover519

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 89955
  • Ebay ID:yellowlover5
GolfWRX Likes : 21

Posted 22 June 2018 - 12:47 PM

View Postkcap, on 22 June 2018 - 09:08 AM, said:

Not sure if this is reliable data.  What about all the European pros that came from the UK and other parts of Europe.  Their climate is similar to the northeast.  Itís all  about access and resources to practice and competition.  Itís not like you can practice in the summers in Arizona.

#15 BertGA

BertGA

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 500442

Posted 22 June 2018 - 02:28 PM

View Posttiger1873, on 22 June 2018 - 12:23 PM, said:

I am not surprised I think it has to do with the type of courses you see in Texas vs elsewhere. It’s a very different type of game in Texas since the ground is so hard on a lot courses and and lots of courses run in between creeks. On the better courses you learn to be cautious or else your going to punished.

Other Areas like Florida your not dealing with hard tight lies in the fairway or rock hard greens that your ball bounces off like it hit a cart path.

I dunno. I grew up in TX, now I’m in GA. The courses I play here, between the changes in elevation or neighborhoods that run through them, are much more punishing than the courses I played in Dallas.

I’m not sure what the reason is, but I can tell you within a few weeks of moving to GA I realized I needed to pick up either tennis or golf. Pretty much everyone plays one or both.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors