Jump to content

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Top Courses that disappointed


213 replies to this topic

#61 Frohlich

Frohlich

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 556 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 30825
  • Joined: 06/05/2007
GolfWRX Likes : 185

Posted 24 June 2018 - 08:36 AM

For me it was Forest Dunes.   I have read nothing but great reviews in major publications and here on WRX and played it twice a couple of weeks back.    We arrived there with much anticipation and walked away thinking, this is very nice course but if nobody told me rating, I didn't think it would be a top 100 course.  The conditions were very nice but the layout was just ok to me..not that many memorable holes to me (9 and 17 were pretty unique..actually the 19th hole was memorable).  I thought a lot of them just ran together.   I know everyone enjoys courses for different reasons but Forest Dunes just didn't wow me that much, at least not as much as I thought it would.  I actually was more impressed with the Loop experience since I had never seen or played any course like it.  Forest Dunes seems like a lot of what I see around Ohio and Indiana (outside of holes around 10 which had the sand but it felt like a lot of the holes where back in the woods just like down here).  Everybody in our foursome had the same general impression.  Now when we played Arcadia on the next part of the trip everyone of us was blown away.  That course is my new #1.


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


1

#62 ChxDigLongBall

ChxDigLongBall

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 446 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 87810
  • Joined: 07/08/2009
  • Location:Calabash, NC
GolfWRX Likes : 33

Posted 24 June 2018 - 08:49 AM

View PostDoubleorQuits, on 22 June 2018 - 10:15 AM, said:

Ballyneal-good, but not great course.  Most likely a victim of too much Doak hype.

Double Eagle-living off of exclusivity, nice place and course, but no business on a Top 100 list.  

Philly Cricket-Wissahickon  Nice enough, but on my Philly trip it was easily #5 of 5 courses played.  

Dormie Club-what a mess, hopefully the new owners get it where it could/should be.

Old MacDonald-too wide?
Just curious now to know what other 4 courses you played. Philly Cricket Mission Hills is definitely the better of the two courses by the way. Wissahickon is very old, Mission is much newer and a better design.
Rogue Sub Zero 9* - Fuji Atmos Tour Spec Black 70X
Rogue Sub Zero 13.5* -Fuji Atmos Tour Spec Black 70X
XR Steelhead 3h - Project X 9B3 6.5
X Forged - 4-7 - DG TI X100

APEX MB - 8-PW - DG TI X100
Mac Daddy Forged 50, 54, 60- DG TI S400
Odyssey O-Works Jailbird Mini Red
Taylor Made TP5

2

#63 raynorfan1

raynorfan1

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,753 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 119065
  • Joined: 12/17/2010
GolfWRX Likes : 1466

Posted 24 June 2018 - 09:26 AM

View PostChxDigLongBall, on 24 June 2018 - 08:49 AM, said:

View PostDoubleorQuits, on 22 June 2018 - 10:15 AM, said:

Ballyneal-good, but not great course.  Most likely a victim of too much Doak hype.

Double Eagle-living off of exclusivity, nice place and course, but no business on a Top 100 list.  

Philly Cricket-Wissahickon  Nice enough, but on my Philly trip it was easily #5 of 5 courses played.  

Dormie Club-what a mess, hopefully the new owners get it where it could/should be.

Old MacDonald-too wide?
Just curious now to know what other 4 courses you played. Philly Cricket Mission Hills is definitely the better of the two courses by the way. Wissahickon is very old, Mission is much newer and a better design.

You’re the first person I’ve ever heard tout Militia Hill as a “better” design than Wissahickon.

3

#64 keeponlivin

keeponlivin

    Rookie

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 473938
  • Joined: 07/05/2017
  • Location:Southern California
  • Handicap:8
GolfWRX Likes : 17

Posted 24 June 2018 - 09:31 AM

+1 on Pebble while its an amazing piece of land it needs a restoration asap and in the meantime guests are just getting taken advantage of due to all the hype and history.... it was a ton of fun but I was def. disappointed

4

#65 ChxDigLongBall

ChxDigLongBall

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 446 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 87810
  • Joined: 07/08/2009
  • Location:Calabash, NC
GolfWRX Likes : 33

Posted 24 June 2018 - 10:02 AM

View Postraynorfan1, on 24 June 2018 - 09:26 AM, said:

View PostChxDigLongBall, on 24 June 2018 - 08:49 AM, said:

View PostDoubleorQuits, on 22 June 2018 - 10:15 AM, said:

Ballyneal-good, but not great course.  Most likely a victim of too much Doak hype.

Double Eagle-living off of exclusivity, nice place and course, but no business on a Top 100 list.  

Philly Cricket-Wissahickon  Nice enough, but on my Philly trip it was easily #5 of 5 courses played.  

Dormie Club-what a mess, hopefully the new owners get it where it could/should be.

Old MacDonald-too wide?
Just curious now to know what other 4 courses you played. Philly Cricket Mission Hills is definitely the better of the two courses by the way. Wissahickon is very old, Mission is much newer and a better design.

You're the first person I've ever heard tout Militia Hill as a "better" design than Wissahickon.
Happy to be the first.

Rogue Sub Zero 9* - Fuji Atmos Tour Spec Black 70X
Rogue Sub Zero 13.5* -Fuji Atmos Tour Spec Black 70X
XR Steelhead 3h - Project X 9B3 6.5
X Forged - 4-7 - DG TI X100

APEX MB - 8-PW - DG TI X100
Mac Daddy Forged 50, 54, 60- DG TI S400
Odyssey O-Works Jailbird Mini Red
Taylor Made TP5

5

#66 teejaywhy

teejaywhy

    Official GolfWRX Curmudgeon

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,940 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 39565
  • Joined: 09/18/2007
  • Location:Arizona
GolfWRX Likes : 1787

Posted 24 June 2018 - 11:01 AM

View PostBig Ben, on 22 June 2018 - 05:58 PM, said:

It's always tricky if you get your hopes up too much. Over hyping anything will lend itself to a possible letdown. Most great courses are subtle and require multiple rounds to appreciate them for the nuances. I tend to appreciate courses much more the third or fourth time around.

This is true.  The best courses get better with each play.  Not so with many of the wow-type courses where after a few plays, the wow wears off and the mediocrity of the actual golf becomes apparent.

Edited by teejaywhy, 24 June 2018 - 11:03 AM.


6

#67 Schoolboy

Schoolboy

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 375966
  • Joined: 05/15/2015
  • Location:Ontario, Canada
  • Handicap:9.9
  • Ebay ID:schoolboy84
GolfWRX Likes : 46

Posted 24 June 2018 - 11:12 AM

View PostFrohlich, on 24 June 2018 - 08:36 AM, said:

For me it was Forest Dunes.   I have read nothing but great reviews in major publications and here on WRX and played it twice a couple of weeks back.    We arrived there with much anticipation and walked away thinking, this is very nice course but if nobody told me rating, I didn't think it would be a top 100 course.  The conditions were very nice but the layout was just ok to me..not that many memorable holes to me (9 and 17 were pretty unique..actually the 19th hole was memorable).  I thought a lot of them just ran together.   I know everyone enjoys courses for different reasons but Forest Dunes just didn't wow me that much, at least not as much as I thought it would.  I actually was more impressed with the Loop experience since I had never seen or played any course like it.  Forest Dunes seems like a lot of what I see around Ohio and Indiana (outside of holes around 10 which had the sand but it felt like a lot of the holes where back in the woods just like down here).  Everybody in our foursome had the same general impression.  Now when we played Arcadia on the next part of the trip everyone of us was blown away.  That course is my new #1.
I was not that disappointed with Forest Dunes, but I’m with you on Arcadia Bluffs. It is the superior experience in my opinion.

7

#68 mfurer

mfurer

    Rookie

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 86797
  • Joined: 06/27/2009
  • Location:Freeport, PA
  • Handicap:7.7
  • Ebay ID:furer1
GolfWRX Likes : 29

Posted 24 June 2018 - 02:51 PM

Pinehurst #2, Doral and spyglass. All were underwhelming to me. All nice courses but not what everyone makes them out to be.

Surprised that Oakland Hills keeps coming up. I loved the south course. When I played it, the conditions were perfect.

8

#69 fjk

fjk

    Putt Putt

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 988 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 35221
  • Joined: 07/21/2007
  • Location:Beyond My Means
GolfWRX Likes : 158

Posted 24 June 2018 - 03:23 PM

Wolf Creek was not worth the trip out from Vegas. So gimmicky.

9

#70 tiderider

tiderider

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 824 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 320763
  • Joined: 06/13/2014
  • Location:b'ham
  • Handicap:5ish
GolfWRX Likes : 697

Posted 24 June 2018 - 07:01 PM

View Postkeeponlivin, on 24 June 2018 - 09:31 AM, said:

+1 on Pebble while its an amazing piece of land it needs a restoration asap and in the meantime guests are just getting taken advantage of due to all the hype and history.... it was a ton of fun but I was def. disappointed

shackelford said the same thing on the fried egg podcast with him ... said it really needs to be closed and renovated a bit ...


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


10

#71 raynorfan1

raynorfan1

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,753 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 119065
  • Joined: 12/17/2010
GolfWRX Likes : 1466

Posted 24 June 2018 - 07:47 PM

View Posttiderider, on 24 June 2018 - 07:01 PM, said:

View Postkeeponlivin, on 24 June 2018 - 09:31 AM, said:

+1 on Pebble while its an amazing piece of land it needs a restoration asap and in the meantime guests are just getting taken advantage of due to all the hype and history.... it was a ton of fun but I was def. disappointed

shackelford said the same thing on the fried egg podcast with him ... said it really needs to be closed and renovated a bit ...

Pebble Beach restored to a ~1939 aesthetic, plus modern agronomy/irrigation, would be incredible. The challenge is that when you’re a Top 10 course raking in the dollars, there’s not much upside to becoming a Top 3 course.

11

#72 jaw1978

jaw1978

    Rookie

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 64468
  • Joined: 08/28/2008
GolfWRX Likes : 15

Posted 24 June 2018 - 07:53 PM

View Postkeeponlivin, on 24 June 2018 - 09:31 AM, said:

+1 on Pebble while its an amazing piece of land it needs a restoration asap and in the meantime guests are just getting taken advantage of due to all the hype and history.... it was a ton of fun but I was def. disappointed

Just played Pebble this week along with Spyglass and Monterey Peninsula (Shore). Pebble’s layout is still solid, but the greens were very slow and bumpy and we were first off. I think numbers 1-3, 11-13, and 15 could use some refreshing though. The green complexes have lost their luster here and there.

12

#73 raynorfan1

raynorfan1

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,753 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 119065
  • Joined: 12/17/2010
GolfWRX Likes : 1466

Posted 24 June 2018 - 08:16 PM

View Postjaw1978, on 24 June 2018 - 07:53 PM, said:

View Postkeeponlivin, on 24 June 2018 - 09:31 AM, said:

+1 on Pebble while its an amazing piece of land it needs a restoration asap and in the meantime guests are just getting taken advantage of due to all the hype and history.... it was a ton of fun but I was def. disappointed
but the greens were very slow and bumpy and we were first off. I think numbers 1-3, 11-13, and 15 could use some refreshing though. The green complexes have lost their luster here and there.

I think this is just a problem with Pebble’s business model. My club closes to guests for two weeks after they aerate (three times per season) - we don’t want guests to see the course that way, but it’s essential maintenance.

To do the same at Pebble would be a $1M+ revenue loss...so they send people out on punches greens.

13

#74 BG5

BG5

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,047 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 223299
  • Joined: 01/22/2013
  • Location:Portage MI
GolfWRX Likes : 189

Posted 24 June 2018 - 08:39 PM

Oakland Hills South was the biggest let down that I have ever had on a golf course.  With that being said its a great course but I expected alot more.  The greens were not nearly as good as I thought they would be and the pace of play was quite slow for a private club  Now....would I love to be a member at Oakland Hills?????  Yes, of course but I just thought I would be blown away and to be honest it probably would not crack my top 10.  

Tullymore is another course that is almost always in the top 100 public tracks in the U.S.  Again, a fine course but compared to other Northern Michigan beauties I was not as impressed with it.  Still a great course and yes I would love to be a member there as well but it just did not blow me away.

Harbor Shores also goes on this list.  A fun track but the greens were were just to much for my liking and I also did not like how the course was spread out.  All 3 courses on this list are def worth playing but I just left each a little let down.....thats all.
Ping K15 Driver - 10.5*
Ping K15 3 Wood 16* & 5 Wood 19*
Ping Karsten Hybrids 19* 22* 25*
Ping Karsten Irons 6-PW
Ping Karsten Wedges 51* 55*
Ping Scottsdale Greyhawk TR Putter
WITB Link

14

#75 DoubleorQuits

DoubleorQuits

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 351 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 348651
  • Joined: 11/14/2014
GolfWRX Likes : 87

Posted 24 June 2018 - 09:08 PM

View PostChxDigLongBall, on 24 June 2018 - 08:49 AM, said:

View PostDoubleorQuits, on 22 June 2018 - 10:15 AM, said:

Ballyneal-good, but not great course.  Most likely a victim of too much Doak hype.

Double Eagle-living off of exclusivity, nice place and course, but no business on a Top 100 list.  

Philly Cricket-Wissahickon  Nice enough, but on my Philly trip it was easily #5 of 5 courses played.  

Dormie Club-what a mess, hopefully the new owners get it where it could/should be.

Old MacDonald-too wide?
Just curious now to know what other 4 courses you played. Philly Cricket Mission Hills is definitely the better of the two courses by the way. Wissahickon is very old, Mission is much newer and a better design.

Rolling Green
Aronimink
Merion
White Manor


15

#76 klebs01

klebs01

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 312 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 107880
  • Joined: 05/12/2010
  • Location:Milwaukee
  • Handicap:3.2
GolfWRX Likes : 206

Posted 24 June 2018 - 09:19 PM

View PostSchoolboy, on 24 June 2018 - 11:12 AM, said:

View PostFrohlich, on 24 June 2018 - 08:36 AM, said:

For me it was Forest Dunes.   I have read nothing but great reviews in major publications and here on WRX and played it twice a couple of weeks back.    We arrived there with much anticipation and walked away thinking, this is very nice course but if nobody told me rating, I didn't think it would be a top 100 course.  The conditions were very nice but the layout was just ok to me..not that many memorable holes to me (9 and 17 were pretty unique..actually the 19th hole was memorable).  I thought a lot of them just ran together.   I know everyone enjoys courses for different reasons but Forest Dunes just didn't wow me that much, at least not as much as I thought it would.  I actually was more impressed with the Loop experience since I had never seen or played any course like it.  Forest Dunes seems like a lot of what I see around Ohio and Indiana (outside of holes around 10 which had the sand but it felt like a lot of the holes where back in the woods just like down here).  Everybody in our foursome had the same general impression.  Now when we played Arcadia on the next part of the trip everyone of us was blown away.  That course is my new #1.
I was not that disappointed with Forest Dunes, but I’m with you on Arcadia Bluffs. It is the superior experience in my opinion.

I have the exact opposite opinion. Played 36 at both Arcadia and forest dunes in the same trip and came away thinking Arcadia is way overrated. Been back to forest dunes and my opinion hasn’t changed. Will be playing both again in a month and will go in with an open mind, but don’t expect my thoughts to change.

16

#77 Schoolboy

Schoolboy

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 375966
  • Joined: 05/15/2015
  • Location:Ontario, Canada
  • Handicap:9.9
  • Ebay ID:schoolboy84
GolfWRX Likes : 46

Posted 24 June 2018 - 09:27 PM

View Postklebs01, on 24 June 2018 - 09:19 PM, said:

View PostSchoolboy, on 24 June 2018 - 11:12 AM, said:

View PostFrohlich, on 24 June 2018 - 08:36 AM, said:

For me it was Forest Dunes.   I have read nothing but great reviews in major publications and here on WRX and played it twice a couple of weeks back.    We arrived there with much anticipation and walked away thinking, this is very nice course but if nobody told me rating, I didn't think it would be a top 100 course.  The conditions were very nice but the layout was just ok to me..not that many memorable holes to me (9 and 17 were pretty unique..actually the 19th hole was memorable).  I thought a lot of them just ran together.   I know everyone enjoys courses for different reasons but Forest Dunes just didn't wow me that much, at least not as much as I thought it would.  I actually was more impressed with the Loop experience since I had never seen or played any course like it.  Forest Dunes seems like a lot of what I see around Ohio and Indiana (outside of holes around 10 which had the sand but it felt like a lot of the holes where back in the woods just like down here).  Everybody in our foursome had the same general impression.  Now when we played Arcadia on the next part of the trip everyone of us was blown away.  That course is my new #1.
I was not that disappointed with Forest Dunes, but I’m with you on Arcadia Bluffs. It is the superior experience in my opinion.

I have the exact opposite opinion. Played 36 at both Arcadia and forest dunes in the same trip and came away thinking Arcadia is way overrated. Been back to forest dunes and my opinion hasn’t changed. Will be playing both again in a month and will go in with an open mind, but don’t expect my thoughts to change.
I loved Forest Dunes, it’s just that I loved the Arcadia Bluffs experience a little better. Can’t go wrong with either in my opinion. There’s good reason that they’re ranked as the top two public courses in MI.

17

#78 ldchristopher

ldchristopher

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 719 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 431090
  • Joined: 06/30/2016
  • Location:Chicago
  • Handicap:2.5
  • Ebay ID:louchratis
GolfWRX Likes : 415

Posted 24 June 2018 - 09:29 PM

Lawsonia Links. It was very good but not great. The green complexes were interesting but, considering the reputation it has around here, I was a bit disappointed. I played two other courses the day I played Lawsonia (Washington County and Mascoutin on the longest day of the year last year) and I found Lawsonia to be the least interesting of the three.
Driver: Titleist 917 D2 10.5° w/ Aldila Rogue Max 65 stiff
3 Wood: Titleist 917 F2 15° w/ Kuro Kage XM TiNi 70 extra stiff
5 Wood: Titleist 917 F2 18˚ w/ Mitsubishi Diamana 80 extra stiff
Hybrid: Titleist 816H 21˚ w/ Aldila Rogue Max 85 stiff
4 iron: Mizuno MP-54 w/ KBS Tour 120 Black Nickel
5 - 7 iron: Mizuno MP-5 w/ KBS Tour 120 Black Nickel
8 iron – PW: Mizuno MP-4 w/ KBS Tour 120 Black Nickel
Wedges: Titleist Vokey Cold Forged 52°/8° 58°/10°
Putter: LaJosi Sensor – 303SS w/ oil can finish
Back-up Putter: Mizuno Bettinardi BC1

18

#79 bnp144

bnp144

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 432376
  • Joined: 07/12/2016
  • Location:South Bend, IN
  • Handicap:7
  • Ebay ID:Brandgant
GolfWRX Likes : 114

Posted 24 June 2018 - 10:03 PM

View PostBG5, on 24 June 2018 - 08:39 PM, said:

Oakland Hills South was the biggest let down that I have ever had on a golf course.  With that being said its a great course but I expected alot more.  The greens were not nearly as good as I thought they would be and the pace of play was quite slow for a private club  Now....would I love to be a member at Oakland Hills?????  Yes, of course but I just thought I would be blown away and to be honest it probably would not crack my top 10.  

Tullymore is another course that is almost always in the top 100 public tracks in the U.S.  Again, a fine course but compared to other Northern Michigan beauties I was not as impressed with it.  Still a great course and yes I would love to be a member there as well but it just did not blow me away.

Harbor Shores also goes on this list.  A fun track but the greens were were just to much for my liking and I also did not like how the course was spread out.  All 3 courses on this list are def worth playing but I just left each a little let down.....thats all.

I will agree on the Harbor Shores. Played it 2 weeks before the PGA and the greens were impossible. Only paid $50 so wasn't terrible. I would throw up Warren at Notre Dame. To think they are going to have the Senior US Open there next year blows me away.

19

#80 mallrat

mallrat

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,471 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 122361
  • Joined: 02/15/2011
GolfWRX Likes : 1366

Posted 24 June 2018 - 10:47 PM

View PostArgonne69, on 21 June 2018 - 09:53 AM, said:

Spyglass by far. Decent layout for the most part, but 17 and 18 are meh at best. Value-wise it's a bust. Great course for $200 - $250, but not at $450+.

Wow Argonne when did you play it? I used my buddies NCGA card or whatever and we played Spyglass ($140), Spanish Bay, Del Monte, and Pacific Grove for less than the price of a round at Pebble.

For me it was actually Spanish Bay, just couldn’t stand the course. Also fully agree on Torrey, aside from the views nothing remarkable at all except for some very lush rough.


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

20

#81 Roadking2003

Roadking2003

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,846 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 406342
  • Joined: 12/21/2015
  • Location:Austin
  • Handicap:8.7
GolfWRX Likes : 1947

Posted 25 June 2018 - 08:11 AM

View Postvaca22, on 22 June 2018 - 01:26 PM, said:

The 1 or 2 people that I've met that told me they played Pebble said it was junk; hacked up, crowded, and expensive.

So, you haven't played it?  

Part of your post is correct;  it is crowded and expensive.

It is not junk or hacked up.  I've played it 18 - 20 times and can assure you It is one of the best courses in the world.  Just ask Jack Nicklaus.

21

#82 Roadking2003

Roadking2003

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,846 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 406342
  • Joined: 12/21/2015
  • Location:Austin
  • Handicap:8.7
GolfWRX Likes : 1947

Posted 25 June 2018 - 08:15 AM

View PostFrohlich, on 24 June 2018 - 08:36 AM, said:

For me it was Forest Dunes.   I have read nothing but great reviews in major publications and here on WRX and played it twice a couple of weeks back. We arrived there with much anticipation and walked away thinking, this is very nice course but if nobody told me rating, I didn't think it would be a top 100 course.  The conditions were very nice but the layout was just ok to me..not that many memorable holes to me (9 and 17 were pretty unique..actually the 19th hole was memorable).  I thought a lot of them just ran together.   I know everyone enjoys courses for different reasons but Forest Dunes just didn't wow me that much, at least not as much as I thought it would.  I actually was more impressed with the Loop experience since I had never seen or played any course like it.  Forest Dunes seems like a lot of what I see around Ohio and Indiana (outside of holes around 10 which had the sand but it felt like a lot of the holes where back in the woods just like down here).  Everybody in our foursome had the same general impression.  Now when we played Arcadia on the next part of the trip everyone of us was blown away.  That course is my new #1.

I agree.  I didn't play The Loop, but Forest Dunes was just not that special.  A good course, but nowhere near the best in that part of Michigan.

We preferred Arcadia Bluffs and Lochenheath.

22

#83 Roadking2003

Roadking2003

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,846 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 406342
  • Joined: 12/21/2015
  • Location:Austin
  • Handicap:8.7
GolfWRX Likes : 1947

Posted 25 June 2018 - 08:22 AM

Just reading this thread and looking over my "courses played" list, here are a few that were disappointing;


1. Pinehurst #2
2. East Lake
3. Cog Hill
4. Prestwick
5. Augusta CC

23

#84 schley

schley

    Love ya don't tell ya enough!

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 607 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 58583
  • Joined: 06/22/2008
  • Location:Kingdom of Saudi Arabia
  • Handicap:12.3
GolfWRX Likes : 206

Posted 25 June 2018 - 08:29 AM

View PostRoadking2003, on 25 June 2018 - 08:22 AM, said:

Just reading this thread and looking over my "courses played" list, here are a few that were disappointing;


1. Pinehurst #2
2. East Lake
3. Cog Hill
4. Prestwick
5. Augusta CC

Was Cog Hill post renovation? Rees Jones went nuts there.

Why ACC?

24

#85 Roadking2003

Roadking2003

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,846 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 406342
  • Joined: 12/21/2015
  • Location:Austin
  • Handicap:8.7
GolfWRX Likes : 1947

Posted 25 June 2018 - 08:34 AM

View Postschley, on 25 June 2018 - 08:29 AM, said:

View PostRoadking2003, on 25 June 2018 - 08:22 AM, said:

Just reading this thread and looking over my "courses played" list, here are a few that were disappointing;


1. Pinehurst #2
2. East Lake
3. Cog Hill
4. Prestwick
5. Augusta CC

Was Cog Hill post renovation? Rees Jones went nuts there.

Why ACC?

Cog Hill was 15 - 20 years ago so I only remember being disappointed.

ACC was a good course, just not a top 100 course.  Not memorable in any way.


25

#86 outofboundz

outofboundz

    Newbie

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 371635
  • Joined: 04/16/2015
  • Location:Boston
  • Handicap:10
  • Ebay ID:benmorse2789
GolfWRX Likes : 5

Posted 25 June 2018 - 09:20 AM

View PostMyShortGameSucks, on 23 June 2018 - 03:34 AM, said:

I was a bit underwhelmed by The Country Club and that was playing it in Its US Open/Ryder Cup config.  Would not put it in my top 10 in Mass and other than the obvious history just did not get it.  Thought similar about Salem CC as well.

I will also say Pasatiempo was disappointing and very overrated.  Very pretty though.   I am sure I will be in the minority there!

Just curious- what is your top 10 in MA? (sorry for hijacking the topic)

26

#87 maga_golfer

maga_golfer

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 286 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 132369
  • Joined: 07/05/2011
  • Location:GA
GolfWRX Likes : 101

Posted 25 June 2018 - 09:22 AM

I enjoy Augusta CC very much.  However, I don't think I've seen it listed as a top 100 course in many places.  That said, they are doing some major work thanks to selling land to the neighbor and creating a new hole #9 which should greatly improve what was previously there.

27

#88 Roadking2003

Roadking2003

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,846 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 406342
  • Joined: 12/21/2015
  • Location:Austin
  • Handicap:8.7
GolfWRX Likes : 1947

Posted 25 June 2018 - 09:28 AM

View Postmaga_golfer, on 25 June 2018 - 09:22 AM, said:

I enjoy Augusta CC very much.  However, I don't think I've seen it listed as a top 100 course in many places.  That said, they are doing some major work thanks to selling land to the neighbor and creating a new hole #9 which should greatly improve what was previously there.

Golfweek lists it as #74 on their Classic Course ranking.  They also list Cherry Hills as #91 and it's light years better than ACC, IMHO.  So I question Golfweek's credibility.

28

#89 Argonne69

Argonne69

    Legend

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,547 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 102839
  • Joined: 02/01/2010
  • Location:Chicago, IL
GolfWRX Likes : 20995

Posted 25 June 2018 - 09:35 AM

View Postmallrat, on 24 June 2018 - 10:47 PM, said:

View PostArgonne69, on 21 June 2018 - 09:53 AM, said:

Spyglass by far. Decent layout for the most part, but 17 and 18 are meh at best. Value-wise it's a bust. Great course for $200 - $250, but not at $450+.

Wow Argonne when did you play it? I used my buddies NCGA card or whatever and we played Spyglass ($140), Spanish Bay, Del Monte, and Pacific Grove for less than the price of a round at Pebble.


I played Spyglass in July 2017, and I had an NCGA card. I believe I paid ~$375 with the discount. The standard rate is $450+.

29

#90 maga_golfer

maga_golfer

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 286 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 132369
  • Joined: 07/05/2011
  • Location:GA
GolfWRX Likes : 101

Posted 25 June 2018 - 09:48 AM

View PostRoadking2003, on 25 June 2018 - 09:28 AM, said:

View Postmaga_golfer, on 25 June 2018 - 09:22 AM, said:

I enjoy Augusta CC very much.  However, I don't think I've seen it listed as a top 100 course in many places.  That said, they are doing some major work thanks to selling land to the neighbor and creating a new hole #9 which should greatly improve what was previously there.

Golfweek lists it as #74 on their Classic Course ranking.  They also list Cherry Hills as #91 and it's light years better than ACC, IMHO.  So I question Golfweek's credibility.

Gotcha.  I guess there are enough rankings that any course can find their way up on one.  I hadn't seen them listed there before.  Although when you parse it out, I don't think it would still qualify as a top 100 course even if it's a "top 100 classic course".  I guess that's where you threw me off calling it top 100.


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

30



0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors