Jump to content

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

New Titleist TS drivers


494 replies to this topic

#481 stk123

stk123

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 392 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 71939
  • Joined: 01/05/2009
GolfWRX Likes : 89

Posted 11 February 2019 - 03:02 PM

View Postminteq, on 11 February 2019 - 11:07 AM, said:

View Poststk123, on 11 February 2019 - 10:22 AM, said:

View Postminteq, on 11 February 2019 - 06:52 AM, said:

View Postcraz-e, on 11 February 2019 - 03:57 AM, said:

I have plenty of rounds under my belt now with the TS3 and today took it out alongside the Taylormade M6, just curious to see how it stacks up.
Didn't take me long to come to the conclusion that out of those two I made the right choice.
I was utterly disappointed with the M6 and I don't think I have ever felt that way about any brand or club before.

Next up the TS3 maybe has a couple of tougher opponents to test out on the course the new Mizuno driver and the Cobra F9

I just got the F9 to put against my TS3, and the initial results are favoring the F9, but I only hit them together twice now.  I love TS3, but the F9 for me looks perfect at address, and feels more powerful at impact.

How did dispersion stack up against F9?

I thought they were pretty similar, the F9 seems longer, and for me, it feels better, especially on off center hits.  I have only hit at the range, the course will be the deciding factor.

I think F9 might be the most "forgiving" on off center hits, i.e. retains highest ball speeds of all drivers (possibly ever produced). Unfortunately, for me the F9 was the least "forgiving" when it came to directional misses. I just hit every ball left with it.

I would love to hear how it compares to Titleist on course as far as dispersion goes. I can get into a grove on the range with any club after a while, but course is a completely different game, as we all know.


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


1

#482 davo32683

davo32683

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,003 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 17682
  • Joined: 08/08/2006
  • Location:Fuquay Varina, NC
  • Ebay ID:davo32683
GolfWRX Likes : 238

Posted 11 February 2019 - 03:16 PM

View Postgolfjam, on 01 February 2019 - 01:10 PM, said:

@davo32683 563 feedback!?! Dang man!!

Yes, it's got to be considered an addiction at this point right?
Cobra F9 Avalanche 8° Fujikura Ventus 7X
Titleist TS3 15° 3 Wood Evenflow White T1100 75 6.5
Bridgestone J15 CB 4-PW KBS $ Taper 130X
Cleveland RTX4 Black 50° Tour Issue S400
Cleveland RTX4 Black 54° Tour Issue S400
TaylorMade Hi Toe 60° KBS $ Taper 120 Black
Custom Torched Evnroll ER2
Custom MannKrafted WB-XL Long Pipe Neck

2

#483 minteq

minteq

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,556 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 15455
  • Joined: 06/13/2006
  • Location:Cleveland, Oh
  • Handicap:5.0
GolfWRX Likes : 472

Posted 11 February 2019 - 03:54 PM

View Poststk123, on 11 February 2019 - 03:02 PM, said:

View Postminteq, on 11 February 2019 - 11:07 AM, said:

View Poststk123, on 11 February 2019 - 10:22 AM, said:

View Postminteq, on 11 February 2019 - 06:52 AM, said:

View Postcraz-e, on 11 February 2019 - 03:57 AM, said:

I have plenty of rounds under my belt now with the TS3 and today took it out alongside the Taylormade M6, just curious to see how it stacks up.
Didn't take me long to come to the conclusion that out of those two I made the right choice.
I was utterly disappointed with the M6 and I don't think I have ever felt that way about any brand or club before.

Next up the TS3 maybe has a couple of tougher opponents to test out on the course the new Mizuno driver and the Cobra F9

I just got the F9 to put against my TS3, and the initial results are favoring the F9, but I only hit them together twice now.  I love TS3, but the F9 for me looks perfect at address, and feels more powerful at impact.

How did dispersion stack up against F9?

I thought they were pretty similar, the F9 seems longer, and for me, it feels better, especially on off center hits.  I have only hit at the range, the course will be the deciding factor.

I think F9 might be the most "forgiving" on off center hits, i.e. retains highest ball speeds of all drivers (possibly ever produced). Unfortunately, for me the F9 was the least "forgiving" when it came to directional misses. I just hit every ball left with it.

I would love to hear how it compares to Titleist on course as far as dispersion goes. I can get into a grove on the range with any club after a while, but course is a completely different game, as we all know.

So far at the range, I would say it’s a little straighter than the TS3 for me at least.  My miss is left as well, but did not hit really any to the left with the F9.

The F9 just feels more powerful, if that makes sense, whereas the TS3 feels a little soft to me.  I really love the look of the F9, the shape, with the matte to gloss finish is outstanding.  

Right now if I had to choose I would sell the TS3, but I am not going to be quick about it, I am going to play some rounds and then see, I have sold off drivers before from range sessions only to find out it did not transfer to the course.


Cobra King F9 Hzrdus Smoke 60s
Titleist TS2 16.5 Hzrdus Smoke 70s
Titleist 718 AP2 4-pw
Callaway 52, PM 56/60
Nike 006 Proto
Titleist ProV1

3

#484 JStang

JStang

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,949 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 122217
  • Joined: 02/13/2011
  • Location:FL
  • Handicap:7.1
GolfWRX Likes : 1518

Posted 11 February 2019 - 04:40 PM

View Postdavo32683, on 11 February 2019 - 03:16 PM, said:

View Postgolfjam, on 01 February 2019 - 01:10 PM, said:

@davo32683 563 feedback!?! Dang man!!

Yes, it's got to be considered an addiction at this point right?

You could say that.
'16 M2 | M3 Fairways | 915H 3 | 718 CB | Vokey SM6 52, 58 | Byron Morgan DH89

4

#485 CDM

CDM

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,592 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 46064
  • Joined: 01/15/2008
  • Location:Denver, Co.
GolfWRX Likes : 477

Posted 11 February 2019 - 04:43 PM

I tested the F9 this weekend.  Never planning to drop the TS3 but I can see why these two are being compared. Its SOLID.  

I tested the F9 Vs mine current setup. I tested the F9 in which shaft gave me the best numbers in the F9 head, not matching shafts. Lets all be real....shaft to shaft match is really not the best way to test a driver.

In the end same old story....getting fit makes all the difference.  Pretty much everything was dead even on distance/accuracy.  Nothing but 3-5 yards here or there based on strike. TS3 was better "overall" but so nominal I think that could be based on me playing the club for bit now and more used to it.

I do prefer my TS3 in the looks/feel/ shape but I could game the F9 all day if needed. Cant go wrong with either of these for sure.

** Just Get Fit **   I was in different shafts in each driver to get the best numbers for my swing in each head.

Edited by CDM, 11 February 2019 - 04:46 PM.


5

#486 JStang

JStang

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,949 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 122217
  • Joined: 02/13/2011
  • Location:FL
  • Handicap:7.1
GolfWRX Likes : 1518

Posted 11 February 2019 - 04:58 PM

I moved on from my TS3. I just didn't get along with it. I know this is going to shock a lot of you but I hit my 917 D3 straighter and farther. Back to the '16 M2 for now but the F9 is on order.
'16 M2 | M3 Fairways | 915H 3 | 718 CB | Vokey SM6 52, 58 | Byron Morgan DH89

6

#487 GolfingDad44

GolfingDad44

    Rookie

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 523002
  • Joined: 02/11/2019
  • Handicap:2
GolfWRX Likes : 19

Posted 11 February 2019 - 06:21 PM

Tried to hit my 917 after a few months with the TS.This has been the easiest switch ever!

Edited by GolfingDad44, 11 February 2019 - 06:22 PM.


7

#488 halfsumo

halfsumo

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 564 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 210503
  • Joined: 11/09/2012
  • Location:San Francisco
GolfWRX Likes : 178

Posted 12 February 2019 - 12:16 AM

View Postgolfer881, on 03 February 2019 - 02:13 PM, said:

View Posteasyyy, on 20 January 2019 - 09:14 PM, said:

View Postagoodmanmbk, on 10 January 2019 - 12:51 AM, said:

TS2 and Tensei Pro White combo is killer for me...bombing it off the tee

Pro white and TS2 for me, crazy accurate. My favorite combo for sure. I had the pro white in the M4 last year which was a great set up, but the PW and TS2 feels way more stable.

View Postagoodmanmbk, on 10 January 2019 - 12:51 AM, said:

TS2 and Tensei Pro White combo is killer for me...bombing it off the tee

+1 on the combo here as well. Big numbers for me.

I am getting low spin and VERY good ball speeds. Smash factor is very high on trackman. I have had over 5 sessions now and it is over performing. VERY consistent as well.

This could be the one this year. We will see.




+ another 1 on this combo. Mine in 60 TX is a bit stiff for me, though. I got the shaft second hand it had been tipped 1/2" and I likely would be better off with no tipping. I ordered a +4 gram weight from China to pop in and see if it softens up a touch. Also, flush shots don't feel as amazing as I think they should which is usually a tell tale sign of an overly stiff shaft. If the extra weight does the trick and gives me a slightly softer shaft and slightly more solid feel, I may just stop my wandering eye for all the newest drivers for at least a few weeks. As it is, I hit some absolutely perfect drives with this setup the other day.
TS2 9.5 Tensei Pro White 60TX
TS3 15  Tensei Pro White 70TX
Apex Hybrid 20 VA Composites Raijin 84 Four
i500 4 iron, Steelfiber i95S
Fourteen FH-900 5-PW Steelfiber i95S
PING Glide stealth 50, 56 SM7 D 60
PING Ketsch

8

#489 mizunoMX25

mizunoMX25

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 183 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 92242
  • Joined: 08/19/2009
GolfWRX Likes : 19

Posted 12 February 2019 - 09:32 AM

I agree. Tried the F9 this weekend on GC2 and it is as long as my TS3 with a shaft that wasn't fitted for me. I hated the Smoke in the TS3, didn't mind it as much with the F9 for some reason. Tempting but I love my TS3. Had these dropped at the same time I'd have a much tougher decision.
Titleist TS3 10.5 GD AD DJ 6S
TM Burner 3W
Callaway OptiForce 5W
818H1 3H 21*
Titleist T-MB 4 Iron Steelfiber i95 Stiff
Titleist 718 AP2 5-9 Steelfiber i95 Stiff
Titleist Vokey 46F, 52F, 58D
Scotty Cameron Newport / Machine M2A

9

#490 minteq

minteq

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,556 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 15455
  • Joined: 06/13/2006
  • Location:Cleveland, Oh
  • Handicap:5.0
GolfWRX Likes : 472

Posted 12 February 2019 - 11:42 AM

View PostmizunoMX25, on 12 February 2019 - 09:32 AM, said:

I agree. Tried the F9 this weekend on GC2 and it is as long as my TS3 with a shaft that wasn't fitted for me. I hated the Smoke in the TS3, didn't mind it as much with the F9 for some reason. Tempting but I love my TS3. Had these dropped at the same time I'd have a much tougher decision.

I got the TS3 when it came out, and was completely happy with it, until I started hearing about the F9.  I tried it and really loved it from first hit, I think the look, feel and flight is amazing.  Like I said earlier, I have only hit on the range, and I have sold drivers because of range results.  I am going to keep both until i get them on the course and really test them.

I always went back to my 917D3 once I got on the course, it was more reliable than anything else, the TS3 might prove them same.  I want consistent and reliable, I want to stand on the tee with confidence with my driver.

Cobra King F9 Hzrdus Smoke 60s
Titleist TS2 16.5 Hzrdus Smoke 70s
Titleist 718 AP2 4-pw
Callaway 52, PM 56/60
Nike 006 Proto
Titleist ProV1

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


10

#491 cma8516

cma8516

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 406976
  • Joined: 12/29/2015
  • Location:Philadelphia, PA
  • Handicap:6
GolfWRX Likes : 50

Posted 12 February 2019 - 11:57 AM

I really wanted one of these to work for me -- but the numbers just do not support it. I went through a fitting, hit TS3, Epic Flash SZ, M6, and then F9 all with a shaft I had been fitted into in the past. Speeder 661TR X-Stiff

TS3 on average was spinning ~750 RPM more than the other 3.

I was consistently faster and getting higher ballspeeds with the Cobra and EFSZ, difference of about 2 MPH SS and 5-6 MPH ballspeed. My smash factor with the TS3 was also low, i was pretty much averaging 1.45 where as the Cobra and EFSZ i was 1.48-1.49. My fitter actually mentioned that the TS3 isn't doing a great job of translating swing speed to efficiency.

My dispersion across everything was pretty similar, nothing really stood out vs the other. Distance wise, the Epic Flash was consistently giving me ~15-20 yards carry up to ~25-30 yards total distance more.

As much as I love titleist stuff and this wasn't meant to be a knock on the TS3 i think this experience has just come to show me that titleist drivers and I do not agree. I also learned that no matter how much you want something, its always best to do a proper fitting to find what works best for you. The fitter i've worked with many times and I both agreed at the end and said we'd never would have thought id be walking out with a Callaway on order.
Callaway Epic Flash SZ - Speeder 661TR X-Stiff
Titleist TS2 3W - Evenflow White
Titleist 818 H2 3 - Tensei White
Titleist 718 AP2 4-P - Project X 6.0
Titleist SM7s -- 50/54/58
Scotty Cameron Newport Select / Evnroll ER 5 (black)

Titleist TMB 2 Iron Project X PXi shaft - sometimes swapped for hybrid

11

#492 shaolingolfer

shaolingolfer

    Rookie

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 106197
  • Joined: 04/12/2010
  • Ebay ID:shaolingolfer
GolfWRX Likes : 6

Posted 12 February 2019 - 12:14 PM

I went to fitting last weekend and it probable came down to F9 Atmos Black Stiff and TS3 Tensei Blue Stiff.  Fitting was done on GC quad.

On TS 3, clubhead 100, ballspeed 140, launch 14, spin 2200 and carry 240.

On F9, I feel like my fitter has bias against it and push me away with it.  First 5 shots is spin 3000 and he never change the heavier weight to the front or do much to fit me to it. Keep telling me the Cobra don't have much shaft option.  I hit the F9 outdoor with Atmos Black, heavier weight up front and it's awesome.

Also my usual shot it a push draw and my fitter fit me with TS 3 with C1 setting and the Tensei Blue with SFT to draw it back?  The reviews on Tensei Blue 55 AV are not very good on youtube and internet.  Any thought and input?
Adam 9015D Matrix Red Tie Stiff
Callaway Rogue 3W SZ
Callaway Apex 2 Hybrid Matrix Red Tie Stiff
Callaway Apex 4 Hybrid Matrix Red Tie Stiff
Srixon Z765 5-P Modus 120 Stiff
50, 54, 60 Ping Stealth Glide 2.0 AWT
Taylor Made Spyder Blade

12

#493 nsxguy

nsxguy

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,439 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 431858
  • Joined: 07/08/2016
  • Location:Florida
  • Handicap:3.7
GolfWRX Likes : 2148

Posted 12 February 2019 - 12:20 PM

View PostGolfChannel, on 11 February 2019 - 12:14 PM, said:

For me it's down to the TS2 & F9, I plan to run each of them through their paces tomorrow and see which one I can get dialed in the best. Then start saving.

I thought your Honma 737 was the answer to your prayers ? :blink:
Callaway Fusion 9* Project X Handcrafted Hzrdus Black "60" 6.0
Adams A12 Pro hybrids, 16*, 20*, 23*, Aldila VS Proto Stiff

Titleist 816 AP-1 5-PW, DGS300
Cleveland RTX-3 50*, 56*, 64*

Ping Sigma 2 Tyne
Titleist AVX

13

#494 GolfChannel

GolfChannel

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,388 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 25488
  • Joined: 02/13/2007
  • Location:Orlando, Florida
  • Handicap:3.2
GolfWRX Likes : 431

Posted 12 February 2019 - 01:02 PM

View Postnsxguy, on 12 February 2019 - 12:20 PM, said:

View PostGolfChannel, on 11 February 2019 - 12:14 PM, said:

For me it's down to the TS2 & F9, I plan to run each of them through their paces tomorrow and see which one I can get dialed in the best. Then start saving.

I thought your Honma 737 was the answer to your prayers ? :blink:

Said in a previous post I’m not selling it, but planned to dial in one of the new drivers and then see which one stays in the bag. I will likely rotate depending on conditions, soft use the new toy since the Honma isn’t the longest in terms of carry. Use the Honma during the hot dry Summer days since it’s ridiculously easy to control and just runs farther than anything else.
Driver: Who needs that kind of negativity in their life...
3 Wood: Callaway Rogue w/Project X Blue Evenflow 75
5 Wood: Callaway Rogue w/Project X Blue Evenflow 75
Hybrid: Titleist 816H1 21 Degree w/Accra 182H M3
Irons: Callaway Apex CF16 Nippon Modus 120
Wedges: Callaway MD3 50, 54, and Honma TW737 Forged 62
Putter: Odyssey White Hot XG No. 7
Ball: Callaway Chromesoft 2018 (Yellow)

14

#495 CDM

CDM

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,592 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 46064
  • Joined: 01/15/2008
  • Location:Denver, Co.
GolfWRX Likes : 477

Posted 12 February 2019 - 01:14 PM

View Postshaolingolfer, on 12 February 2019 - 12:14 PM, said:

I went to fitting last weekend and it probable came down to F9 Atmos Black Stiff and TS3 Tensei Blue Stiff.  Fitting was done on GC quad.

On TS 3, clubhead 100, ballspeed 140, launch 14, spin 2200 and carry 240.

On F9, I feel like my fitter has bias against it and push me away with it.  First 5 shots is spin 3000 and he never change the heavier weight to the front or do much to fit me to it. Keep telling me the Cobra don't have much shaft option.  I hit the F9 outdoor with Atmos Black, heavier weight up front and it's awesome.

Also my usual shot it a push draw and my fitter fit me with TS 3 with C1 setting and the Tensei Blue with SFT to draw it back?  The reviews on Tensei Blue 55 AV are not very good on youtube and internet.  Any thought and input?

I use a Tensi blue but not the SFT stock one. I ordered a 65 X Tensi blue from them.  They have it at no upcharge. If you go PRO model which I did not see any difference between the twoo (that matters) and there is a decent upcharge.


15



2 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users


    Aren

GolfWRX Sponsors