Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Myrtle Beach Courses Damaged Greens

37 replies to this topic

#31 skia4life89

skia4life89

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 339877
  • Handicap:6.0
  • Ebay ID:shing burr
GolfWRX Likes : 110

Posted 06 July 2018 - 12:40 PM

View PostBelmont148, on 17 June 2018 - 11:17 AM, said:

Anyone got any courses they have played that the greens are so damaged it's borderline unplayable?

I'll start with Myrtle Beach National.

Very disappointing without any discounts.

Thats weird, I played all the MBN courses in March and they were awesome.  Played Legends Moorland and it was in terrible shape.  Ended up talking to our agent and we were able to get refunds for that course.  I live in NC and the weather the last couple years has been so Bipolar its a wonder more courses have not been affected.

Ping G LS
Taylormade M2 3 Wood
Taylormade UDI 3
Taylormade SLDR 4-AW
Taylormade Milled Grind 54 58
Odyssey O-Works #7
Callaway Chrome Soft

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#32 whynotgolf

whynotgolf

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 503864
  • Handicap:12
GolfWRX Likes : 12

Posted 06 July 2018 - 01:16 PM

To chime in on Barefoot...we had a group of 22 play 3 of the 4 (Love, Fazio, Norman)...early June and Love had totally lost one green and several others were bad. Fazio wasn't much better...Norman was the best of the 3 and they were just okay (playable at least)...good package deal so our price per course was lower than the rack rate, but still...I expected better for a strain of Bermuda.

Bottom line...MB's peak season is late Feb to mid May...if you go after Memorial day, most of the courses will have seen the most traffic they will see all year.

That said, Tidewater's green were in a good shape.

#33 george49

george49

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 157 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 126448
GolfWRX Likes : 60

Posted 06 July 2018 - 05:36 PM

View PostBig Ben, on 05 July 2018 - 09:01 PM, said:

View Postgeorge49, on 05 July 2018 - 08:02 PM, said:

View PostBoris2016, on 17 June 2018 - 02:06 PM, said:

Used to go to MB every year.  Not any more.

A lot of ignorant rednecks who play beyond slow and do not understand common courtesy like raking traps and fixing ball marks.

For what you pay, there is better golf elsewhere.

Sounds like a place in NE Ohio. Blaring music, guys yelling at each other down the fairway, tearing up the course etc. what a shame for a Pete Dye course.
Fowlers Mill?? I'm trying to picture Dye tracks in this area...

Avalon Lakes

#34 ArtMBgolf

ArtMBgolf

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 279 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 476646
  • Handicap:8
GolfWRX Likes : 95

Posted 07 July 2018 - 08:44 PM

Myrtle Beach said they had the coldest winter in 40 years.  Courses on the north end had the most problems from an ice storm,
while the south end had snow.    

With the conversions to hybrid bermuda greens, most courses stopped overseeding the greens in the winter, but just dyed them and
rolled then when they got scuffed up.    The hybrid grasses stay green longer in the fall and come out of dormancy sooner in the spring, so that
is why fewer overseeded.  

What I read is that the courses with some damaged winter kill greens or dead spots on greens found out around March.  Those who overseeded  
the hybrid greens, didn't find out about hybrid damage until late May, when the overseed dyed off.    

I also have a theory that possibly play was allowed on some courses when the greens were too frozen, because they usually don't get
anything more frozen than frost.      

Several courses that still had the old style grainy bermuda greens are getting new greens: Glen Dornoch, International Club,
Indigo Creek, MW Pine Hills, Tradition.       Possibly more courses in the future will cover their greens on cold winter nights.

#35 JayMatt

JayMatt

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 88199
GolfWRX Likes : 16

Posted 09 July 2018 - 06:14 AM

Spoke to a friend who was down there last week and stayed at Legends.   He said the Mooreland was closed while being fixed and that they were hoping a few more weeks of growing would allow it to reopen.    We had that same issue in the Northeast last season and it affected top 20 courses as well as local munis.

#36 CDLgolf

CDLgolf

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 698 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 2416
GolfWRX Likes : 170

Posted 09 July 2018 - 08:34 PM

View PostBig Ben, on 05 July 2018 - 09:01 PM, said:

View Postgeorge49, on 05 July 2018 - 08:02 PM, said:

View PostBoris2016, on 17 June 2018 - 02:06 PM, said:

Used to go to MB every year.  Not any more.

A lot of ignorant rednecks who play beyond slow and do not understand common courtesy like raking traps and fixing ball marks.

For what you pay, there is better golf elsewhere.
S
Sounds like a place in NE Ohio. Blaring music, guys yelling at each other down the fairway, tearing up the course etc. what a shame for a Pete Dye course.
Fowlers Mill?? I'm trying to picture Dye tracks in this area...

Not to threadjack but I played Fowler's Mill July 4th. Other than being CPO from the over night rain it was in great shape. It's my favorite course in the Cleveland area.

Played River Hills in Little River back in May and June and the course was in very good condition.

Edited by CDLgolf, 09 July 2018 - 08:37 PM.

Titleist 917 D2
Ping G25 3 & 5  wood
Ping G25  23* & G30 26* hybrid
Ping i e1  6- uw
Ping Tour Gorge  56 & 60
Odyssey

#37 golfheaven69

golfheaven69

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,139 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 16985
GolfWRX Likes : 288

Posted 10 July 2018 - 07:41 PM

If you don’t cover Bermuda greens in cold weather bad stuff happens.

#38 caniac6

caniac6

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,393 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 222453
  • Handicap:4
GolfWRX Likes : 2411

Posted 10 July 2018 - 08:01 PM

I read that there is a new Zoysia coming out next year that has the texture of the hybrid bermudas, holds it's color longer, and is much more cold and shade tolerant than Bermuda. It's so new that it doesn't have a name yet, only a number.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors