Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

How do I get my daughter into a great school by playing golf

84 replies to this topic

#1 TigerMom

TigerMom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 504874
GolfWRX Likes : 48

Posted 16 June 2018 - 08:26 PM

She is 6 and very athletic, and has started to play in some tournaments after picking up the game last summer

I donít care about scholarships but want to help her get into a great academic school

I have the academic side covered but would like to know how I could maximize her chances by having an outstanding extracurricular activity like golf

She also plays a musical instrument intensely

How good does she have to be to play for an Ivy League school?  

How about 2nd tier non-Ivy schools that are known for academics?

I have an older child who plays a racket sport at a high level (top 25 in the US) but know little about golf - can you develop children into top golfers by high level instruction and lots of practice like in tennis?

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#2 BrianMcG

BrianMcG

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,568 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 71565
GolfWRX Likes : 1944

Posted 16 June 2018 - 08:33 PM

View PostTigerMom, on 16 June 2018 - 08:26 PM, said:

I have an older child who plays a racket sport at a high level (top 25 in the US) but know little about golf - can you develop children into top golfers by high level instruction and lots of practice like in tennis?

Yes. That's pretty much how its done these days.  Lots of golf schools like the IMG Academy. Nick Bollettieri basically started it all with tennis and now they do it with golf.

#3 tatertot

tatertot

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,901 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 87030
GolfWRX Likes : 3556

Posted 16 June 2018 - 08:34 PM

And this is what's wrong with America today.
Driver: Adams Speedline Fast 11, 9°
Fairway: Adams Fast 10, 15*
Irons: Ping Eye2, 2-9 iron
Wedges: Titleist SM7, 48º; Titleist SM5, 54º & 58º
Putter: Cameron Studio Stainless Mid Sur, 34"

#4 TigerMom

TigerMom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2018 - 08:40 PM

View Posttatertot, on 16 June 2018 - 08:34 PM, said:

Why?

#5 tatertot

tatertot

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,901 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2018 - 08:47 PM

View PostTigerMom, on 16 June 2018 - 08:40 PM, said:

Why?

Your daughter is 6 ... She plays a musical instrument "intensely" and is "very athletic" and you have academics "covered" and are looking at extra curricular activities to get her into an Igy League school. How bout you let her be a freakin kid and decide what she wants to do wit her life instead of you living the life you wanted through her?

#6 TigerMom

TigerMom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2018 - 05:54 AM

View Posttatertot, on 16 June 2018 - 08:47 PM, said:

Why?

Your daughter is 6 ... She plays a musical instrument "intensely" and is "very athletic" and you have academics "covered" and are looking at extra curricular activities to get her into an Igy League school. How bout you let her be a freakin kid and decide what she wants to do wit her life instead of you living the life you wanted through her?

Ok so parents pushing kids to be the best is what’s wrong with America today?

#7 dpb5031

dpb5031

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,567 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 67947
GolfWRX Likes : 2813

Posted 17 June 2018 - 06:57 AM

View PostTigerMom, on 17 June 2018 - 05:54 AM, said:

Why?

Ok so parents pushing kids to be the best is whatís wrong with America today?

Nah, that's a cop-out for mediocrity.  Nothing wrong with wanting the best for your kid.  It's finding the right balance between pushing and driving them off the deep-end that's the challenge.

This is also a cultural issue.  Some cultures are very accepting of pushing kids to their limits with no apologies. Others find this level of parental involvement too extreme.

As to the original question, I'd just keep your daughter involved in the sport and try to make every experience with golf a positive one. Dont make it a job. If she enjoys it you've got a better chance that she develops her own true passion for the game and will be more likely to stick with it and maximize her potential.
USGA Index: ~2

WITB:
2018 Taylormade M3 8.5 Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 6x
Taylormade M2 Tour 15 Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 S
Kasco K2K 33 - UST Axivcore 65 Tour Green S
Ping G 22 Hybrid (2 flat) - Ping Tour 80 S
Ping i200 5-UW (2 flat) - Nippon Modus 105X
Ping Glide 2.0 - SS 54 (bent to 55 & 2 flat)
Taylormade Ho Toe 64 (Bent to 62 & 2 flat)
Palmer AP30R putter (circa 1960s)
Taylormade TP5X Ball

#8 CTgolf

CTgolf

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 309 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 124521
GolfWRX Likes : 207

Posted 17 June 2018 - 07:39 AM

She is 6 and very athletic, and has started to play in some tournaments after picking up the game last summer

I donít care about scholarships but want to help her get into a great academic school

I have the academic side covered but would like to know how I could maximize her chances by having an outstanding extracurricular activity like golf

Wrong forum - ďeveryone here is thinking PGAĒ (or in your daughterís case, LPGA)

#9 CTgolf

CTgolf

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 309 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2018 - 07:52 AM

In all seriousness, if your daughter is learning an instrument intensely she probably has the attention span and ability to follow instructions to receive lessons and formal training.

I would look for a well-regarded professional in your area who specializes in junior instruction and focus on finding someone who gets along well with your child.

#10 tatertot

tatertot

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,901 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2018 - 07:54 AM

Why?

Ok so parents pushing kids to be the best is what’s wrong with America today?

Not going to change your mind on a golf forum - or anywhere. Just feel bad for your daughter.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#11 CTgolf

CTgolf

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 309 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2018 - 08:15 AM

Why?

Ok so parents pushing kids to be the best is whatís wrong with America today?

I would argue that parents prioritizing ďhaving funĒ over everything else is what is wrong with America today

#12 Nessism

Nessism

To measure is to know...

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,559 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 131490
GolfWRX Likes : 8485

Posted 17 June 2018 - 08:43 AM

Brother of a guy from work had been grooming his two boys to be pro baseball players since an early age.  Pushed them into the "right" schools, got them coaching, training, etc until both wound up with college scholarships.  Long story short, neither graduated school and both are out of baseball by their early 20's now.  One wrecked his arm and I'm not sure what happened to the other.  So much for planning...
Ping G400 driver w/Adila Rogue 125 Silver 60S
TEE XCG6 3 & 5 fairway woods & E8 hybrid
Mizuno Hot Metal irons w/Recoil 95's
Glide 50/55/60 wedges w/Recoil 110's
Ping Anser putter - the "real deal!"

#13 BertGA

BertGA

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 500442
GolfWRX Likes : 159

Posted 17 June 2018 - 08:43 AM

Given the obvious determination of TigerMom, and the apparent willingness of the child to go along with it all, Iím going to suggest golf is NOT going to be the tiebreaker that breaks the admissions code for this child in 11 years.

TigerMom, if you arenít interested in a scholarship, Iím doubtful high-level golf performance from your daughter will add any benefit to college admissions. It typically works in the opposite...wildly talented golfer cannot get admission to Stanford becaus their SATs arenít good enough. Golf tends to take time away from academic achievement. Multi-day travel tournaments prevent other academic activities.

If your true goal is only to get admissions to the best college you can, then pick up hobbies and overachieve with academics and volunteer/charity activities. By intensely committing to golf at 6 years old, it seems you are more on the path to elite golfing. The average admissions committee will have no idea how good your daughter is, unless the golf coach is campaigning on her behalf. Those talents are rare, like Tiger Woods rare, so Iím not sure that is a realistic goal. Again, if your goal was a scholarship, we are having a different conversation here.

As for the cultural differences, understand that we are all far more familiar with stories of kids having been pushed too hard into sports at an early age and quitting by puberty. Happens more frequently here than success stories of parents pushing hard and kids growing up loving the sport. Also realize at that age you are just as likely to achieve your desired results by just encouraging ANY sports participation, and  waiting to see what you daughter enjoys. Colleges are full of kids on D1 scholarships that didnít pick up a golf club until 10 or later.

I know you didnít ask for this, but I wouldnít get so hot on Ivy League, either. I am guessing the 2nd Tier schools you are referring too are Stanford, Duke, Northwestern, etc. many people would argue you can get a more prestigious education there. When someoneís says Princeton, I just think privileged money, not outstanding education. But thatís my bias.

Edited by BertGA, 17 June 2018 - 08:45 AM.

#14 SkiSchoolPro

SkiSchoolPro

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 536 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 469938
  • Handicap:4
GolfWRX Likes : 271

Posted 17 June 2018 - 09:25 AM

BertGA makes some good points, but golf did help me get into a top 25 University (quite a few years ago) as a non-scholarship athlete. A word from the golf coach to the admissions committee certainly helped (along with good SAT scores). At some schools I have heard more recently that the golf coach has a limited number of slots he can tap into with the admissions committee and that it is counterproductive for him to even mention that someone's a good player if he's not in one of those spots.

I played my first round at age 9 and started playing more seriously around 12 or 13. IMO, to maximize golf potential it's good to play a variety of sports at younger ages. I tend to agree with those who say it can be counterproductive for the parent to push too hard to a particular sport. My dad exposed me to golf, but I pushed myself to become better and play more. If your daughter seems to like golf, get her some good instruction with someone who works well with kids and see if she decides to pursue it later more seriously. Its my understanding that because of Title Nine there are quite a few golf scholarships available for girls.

Edited by SkiSchoolPro, 17 June 2018 - 09:39 AM.

Golfing when I can, Ski Coaching, Instructing and Guiding all winter at Vail, Beaver Creek, Copper Mountain, Keystone and Breckenridge.

#15 chrissdc

chrissdc

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 80284
GolfWRX Likes : 19

Posted 17 June 2018 - 10:53 AM

Golf will help getting into Ivy League schools, provided the girl is a very good player. The admission standards for an athlete are less than a non athlete. There is a trend of girls and guys going to Ivy League schools and once they are there, the players stop playing and since they are already have been admitted and attending the school, the school cannot ask them to leave.

#16 heavy_hitter

heavy_hitter

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,487 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 366715
GolfWRX Likes : 2031

Posted 17 June 2018 - 12:58 PM

Ivy League schools do not offer athletic scholarships.

#17 farmer

farmer

Hall of Fame

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 7,197 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 70095
GolfWRX Likes : 3049

Posted 17 June 2018 - 02:47 PM

Todd Marinovich, Sean O'Hair, the Ball kids, Trophy Kids, many, many examples of over involvement by the parents.  If the OP is really trying to determine her daughters future when the child is 6, that is awful.

#18 CTgolf

CTgolf

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 309 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2018 - 05:54 PM

View Postheavy_hitter, on 17 June 2018 - 12:58 PM, said:

The OP said she didnít care about scholarships

#19 farmer

farmer

Hall of Fame

• 7,197 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 70095
GolfWRX Likes : 3049

Posted 17 June 2018 - 05:58 PM

View PostCTgolf, on 17 June 2018 - 05:54 PM, said:

The OP said she didn't care about scholarships
Well, Harvard is free if you can get accepted.  My son was recruited by Harvard (they wanted more diversity, and a farmers son from Texas was not the usual), and when I told them we couldn't afford it, they said "No problem.".

#20 TigerMom

TigerMom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2018 - 07:03 PM

View PostNessism, on 17 June 2018 - 08:43 AM, said:

Brother of a guy from work had been grooming his two boys to be pro baseball players since an early age.  Pushed them into the "right" schools, got them coaching, training, etc until both wound up with college scholarships.  Long story short, neither graduated school and both are out of baseball by their early 20's now.  One wrecked his arm and I'm not sure what happened to the other.  So much for planning...

They would have been better off focusing on getting into a good college and graduating with a degree that could get them a great job

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#21 Sean2

Sean2

#TheWRX (Callaway Trip)

• 30,077 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 29539
  • Ebay ID:None
GolfWRX Likes : 17492

Posted 17 June 2018 - 07:08 PM

View Postfarmer, on 17 June 2018 - 05:58 PM, said:

View PostCTgolf, on 17 June 2018 - 05:54 PM, said:

The OP said she didn't care about scholarships
Well, Harvard is free if you can get accepted.  My son was recruited by Harvard (they wanted more diversity, and a farmers son from Texas was not the usual), and when I told them we couldn't afford it, they said "No problem.".

They have more money in their endowments than the GDP of about 90 nations. Roughly $36 billion at this point.
Callaway Rogue
Callaway GBB Epic 16º/20º/24º
Callaway Steelhead XR 25º
Callaway Apex CF16 6-AW
Callaway MD3/MD-PM 54º/58º
Callaway "O" Works #7

#22 TigerMom

TigerMom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2018 - 07:10 PM

View PostBertGA, on 17 June 2018 - 08:43 AM, said:

Given the obvious determination of TigerMom, and the apparent willingness of the child to go along with it all, I’m going to suggest golf is NOT going to be the tiebreaker that breaks the admissions code for this child in 11 years.

TigerMom, if you aren’t interested in a scholarship, I’m doubtful high-level golf performance from your daughter will add any benefit to college admissions. It typically works in the opposite...wildly talented golfer cannot get admission to Stanford becaus their SATs aren’t good enough. Golf tends to take time away from academic achievement. Multi-day travel tournaments prevent other academic activities.

If your true goal is only to get admissions to the best college you can, then pick up hobbies and overachieve with academics and volunteer/charity activities. By intensely committing to golf at 6 years old, it seems you are more on the path to elite golfing. The average admissions committee will have no idea how good your daughter is, unless the golf coach is campaigning on her behalf. Those talents are rare, like Tiger Woods rare, so I’m not sure that is a realistic goal. Again, if your goal was a scholarship, we are having a different conversation here.

As for the cultural differences, understand that we are all far more familiar with stories of kids having been pushed too hard into sports at an early age and quitting by puberty. Happens more frequently here than success stories of parents pushing hard and kids growing up loving the sport. Also realize at that age you are just as likely to achieve your desired results by just encouraging ANY sports participation, and  waiting to see what you daughter enjoys. Colleges are full of kids on D1 scholarships that didn’t pick up a golf club until 10 or later.

I know you didn’t ask for this, but I wouldn’t get so hot on Ivy League, either. I am guessing the 2nd Tier schools you are referring too are Stanford, Duke, Northwestern, etc. many people would argue you can get a more prestigious education there. When someone’s says Princeton, I just think privileged money, not outstanding education. But that’s my bias.

Thanks for this thoughtful response

Most applicants to the top colleges have near perfect grades and test scores and are just mediocre in sports and other extra curricular activities

The ones who show excellence outside academics, along with leadership abilities, are typically the ones that get in

There are other factors too but that’s probably beyond the scope of this discussion

I think among elites, Harvard, Yale, Princeton, Stanford and MIT are considered top tier; other Ivy’s and top 10 schools are 2nd tier

#23 GSDriver

GSDriver

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 493210
  • Handicap:4
GolfWRX Likes : 111

Posted 17 June 2018 - 07:32 PM

6 and planning for college?  Nice.

How about you invest for the next twelve years cuz WTF knows what college golf will look like 12 years in the future, or if even around?

Burn her out and she may not even go to college, so I suggest invest, let your daughter be a kid and figure out what she may like, not what you think she should like.
Epic Speeder 661
Razr Fit Xtreme 4/7 woods
Epic Hyrbrid 23*
Apex Pro 5-P Recoil 110
MD Slate Forged 52
PM Grind 58
- a host of Odysseys

#24 chrissdc

chrissdc

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 80284
GolfWRX Likes : 19

Posted 18 June 2018 - 10:09 AM

If you are going to play on the schools team, the admissions standards are easier.

#25 tiger1873

tiger1873

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 557 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 340777
GolfWRX Likes : 261

Posted 18 June 2018 - 11:57 AM

At 6 years old it way to early to worry about college and let alone worrying about her golf.

I been told Academics is very important for kids playing golf. The reason is sometimes they can combine academics scholarships with golf. The combination is a good option and will open doors.

When it comes to golf the talent has to be there and if it isnít you canít really teach it by spending money. Simply put talent is needed to get to a high level of golf.

Edited by tiger1873, 18 June 2018 - 12:04 PM.

#26 alfriday

alfriday

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 394 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 362505
GolfWRX Likes : 295

Posted 18 June 2018 - 12:04 PM

"How good does she have to be to play for an Ivy League school?  

How about 2nd tier non-Ivy schools that are known for academics?"

These statements bothered me a bit from the OP.  Are you saying the Ivy league schools are the only tier one schools out there and all else are tier two?  Stanford grads may disagree with you.  All three of my children went to small colleges and while we looked at Ivy schools, my children chose "lesser" schools which were a better fit for them.  My daughter even played a sport at her school (Bryn Mawr).  There are a lot of great schools out there and the Ivy schools may or may not be a good fit for your daughter.  

You might check out this book to help broaden your perspective:

https://www.amazon.c...s/dp/0062420909

#27 heavy_hitter

heavy_hitter

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,487 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 366715
GolfWRX Likes : 2031

Posted 18 June 2018 - 12:11 PM

View Postalfriday, on 18 June 2018 - 12:04 PM, said:

These statements bothered me a bit from the OP.  Are you saying the Ivy league schools are the only tier one schools out there and all else are tier two?  Stanford grads may disagree with you.  All three of my children went to small colleges and while we looked at Ivy schools, my children chose "lesser" schools which were a better fit for them.  My daughter even played a sport at her school (Bryn Mawr).  There are a lot of great schools out there and the Ivy schools may or may not be a good fit for your daughter.  

Yep.  

I would discourage my kids from going to an Ivy league school.  The education isn't better than anywhere else.  The connections you make are.

#28 jholz

jholz

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 817 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 151611
  • Handicap:7.4
GolfWRX Likes : 362

Posted 18 June 2018 - 12:40 PM

Field hockey and lacrosse are worthy of consideration as well - if you are purely looking to use sport as an entre into blue-blood society.
Cleveland Launcher HB 10.5* - Stock Miyazaki C. Kua 50 Stiff
Callaway Diablo Octane Tour 13* - Aldila NV 75 Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* - Accra Dymatch M5 75
Mizuno F-50 18* - Stock Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour Hybrid 21* - Aldila NV 85 Stiff
Callaway RAZR Tour Hybrid 24* - Stock XStiff
5 - PW Cleveland CG7 Tour Black Pearl - DGSL S300
Vokey Design 200 Series 52* Stock Wedge (?)
Cleveland CG15 Oilcan 56* Stock Wedge
Callaway X-Series JAWS Slate CC 58* Stock Wedge
Odyssey White Ice #7 - Golf Pride Oversize

#29 TigerMom

TigerMom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2018 - 12:53 PM

View Postalfriday, on 18 June 2018 - 12:04 PM, said:

http://www.golfwrx.c.../#entry17539514

#30 TigerMom

TigerMom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2018 - 12:54 PM

View Postjholz, on 18 June 2018 - 12:40 PM, said:

Field hockey and lacrosse are worthy of consideration as well - if you are purely looking to use sport as an entre into blue-blood society.

Thanks - my daughter is trying many different sports, including (but not only) lacrosse and tennis, both of which my older children play at a high level

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors