Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Putter forgiveness.

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 jsmil4901

jsmil4901

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 32285
GolfWRX Likes : 22

Posted 13 June 2018 - 10:22 AM

I currently use an anser style putter. I putt fairly well but like most, I do not hit the sweet spot every time and distance and direction will be off. I've been looking at changing to a mallet style putter, either the Evnroll ER7 or the Bettinardi BB39. Both styles are appealing to me. Will a mallet style face balanced putter offer more forgiveness than the anser style putter? Also, Evnroll claims that their putters offer even more forgiveness with the variable grooves on the face. But wouldn't any face balanced putter offer the same forgiveness even without the grooves? For anyone who has made the switch are mallets more forgiving?

Taylormade M2 driver 10.5 R-flex stock shaft.
Taylormade M2 3 wood R-flex stock shaft.
Tour Edge Exotic EX9 hybrids, 2 and 5 Recoil R-flex shaft.
Callaway CF 16 irons 5-AW Recoil Stiff shafts.
Titleist Vokey 54 and 58 wedges
Scotty Cameron M1 mallet 33".

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#2 dsmil

dsmil

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 513 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 130650
GolfWRX Likes : 73

Posted 13 June 2018 - 10:53 AM

Mallets usually do offer more forgiveness by design, with less twisting at impact, and more stability during the stroke.  Many people like the looks and feel of a blade better.  The Evnroll ER7 is not face balanced, and does have some moderate toe hang.  They now offer a center shafted version (ER7CS) which is almost face balanced.  Evnroll putters have been tested often and those grooves really make a difference.  Distance does not change whether you hit it in the center, heel, or toe, and there is some gearing which helps with any left/right variances.  The Bettinardi may look nicer, and will offer the forgiveness of a mallet, but it doesn't have the technology to do the things to the ball that the Evnroll does.  I'm in the midst of changing to the ER7 and I love it so far.  Very stable, we know about the grooves, and easy to aim.

I just saw this too.  The BB39 and Evnroll ER8 (very similar putters) were both tested this year (https://mygolfspy.co...ters-golf-2018/), and the ER8 smoked the BB39 in testing.

Edited by dsmil, 13 June 2018 - 11:01 AM.

Cobra King LTD Dr- Matrix Black Tie 65M4 (67g)
Cobra King LTD 3/4 - Matrix VLCT ST 82 (77g)
TM Jetspeed Hybrid 19* - Matrix Studio 94 (96g)  
TM Jetspeed Hybrid 22* - Matrix Ozik HD Program 95 (99g)
Cleveland 588 CB 4-PW - DG S300
Cleveland RTX-3 54*
Cleveland RTX-3 60*
Evnroll ER7

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors