Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Huge improvement by shortening backswing

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 HawkeyeHacker

HawkeyeHacker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 467976
GolfWRX Likes : 37

Posted 13 June 2018 - 07:22 AM

I've been playing some pretty poor golf lately, mostly because my iron game had gone to crap.  I realized in a video my backswing had gotten really long, so I made a conscious effort to shorten it up to about 3/4 what it was.  Last night was the best I've hit my irons in a long time, with no loss of distance.  I hit 7 of 9 greens with my misses pin high just right of the green.  Shot 39 after taking triple on the first hole from yanking my drive OB.  Just wanted to share in case it might help someone else.  Feels good to play decent golf again. Still a little work to do with the driver.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#2 Ghostwedge

Ghostwedge

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 254 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 433482
  • Handicap:10
GolfWRX Likes : 113

Posted 13 June 2018 - 08:53 AM

Do the same thing with the driver, just a little flatter plane.
When you are done with a full on plane turn but donʻt lift, it "feels" like 3/4.
Iʻve played some golf in Iowa, never heard of "Behindatree" lol.
Spirit Hollow and Amana, great courses.

#3 KMeloney

KMeloney

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,329 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 26608
  • Handicap:@ 7
GolfWRX Likes : 771

Posted 13 June 2018 - 09:15 AM

Ghostwedge, on 13 June 2018 - 08:53 AM, said:

When you are done with a full on plane turn but donʻt lift, it "feels" like 3/4.

The full turn is key. I think it's easy to fall into the trap of shortening your swing while/by unwittingly cutting your turn short -- and that brings about another set of problems.

Gotta keep the shoulder turn full while not letting the arms fold or run on at the top. Often easier said than done...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors