Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

on course alignment

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 q-school

q-school

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 417 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 17088
GolfWRX Likes : 148

Posted 13 June 2018 - 06:37 AM

recently i have been sucking in men's league.
my partner played college golf and is scratch and i've played hundreds of rounds with him.
he's usually paying attention to my swing and has helped me enormously over the years.

but he said recently my alignment has gotten off and he thinks that's why i can't break 50 (9 holes) suddenly.
so over the past few weeks i go to the range every day and put sticks down.  sometimes i don't hit balls, i just try to align to fix my visual sense of the target line.  so on the range, i feel like i'm aimed correctly and am striping it.

yesterday on the course i hit a wedge from the middle of the fairway.  the worst shots, i have been chunking the ball left and it goes approximately 20 yards forward and on a path approximately 70 degrees left of the target line.  most shots go left to some degree.    big roping hooks even with pitching wedges.  uncontrollable hooks.  ob, water, etc.   so i have been aiming down the right edge of the green.  yesterday after i chunked another one, he asked where i thought i was aligned.  i said right edge.  he said, feet, hips, shoulders were consistent but everything was aligned to the bunker on the left side of the green.  

is it possible to be that badly aligned 100 yards from the green?  especially when you have been working on alignment carefully for week.  i mean i recently have been practicing alignment every day with sticks.  if so what can i do about it?

i feel like it's not alignment but some kind of flipping with the hands.  hard to know if that can cause the kind of problems i'm seeing but even harder for me to believe my alignment is that far off.  

thanks

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#2 davep043

davep043

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,169 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 489076
  • Handicap:4.2
GolfWRX Likes : 863

Posted 13 June 2018 - 07:08 AM

Lets see, you have a pretty competent friend, one who is standing back and watching where you set up.  He tells you you're aligned way left.  You somehow think he's wrong, after all, you've spent a whole week correcting the problem, it must be cured.  You have self-diagnosed a flip instead.

I suggest a couple of things.  First, get some video of your swing, preferably from the grass where you're not aligned with the edge of a driving range mat.  Do it without alignment aids, so you can see what you're really doing.  Second, get a lesson or two from a competent instructor.  He can help determine the most important thing to work on, in addition to helping with alignment.  Third, keep practicing alignment, along with whatever your instructor tells you to work on.  At the PGA level, they use alignment sticks every single time they practice.  Shouldn't you?

#3 q-school

q-school

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 417 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 17088
GolfWRX Likes : 148

Posted 13 June 2018 - 07:33 AM

Not one week, few weeks.  I donít if that matters to you but itís a lot of time working on the fix.   With alignment sticks.  :). Every day.  

I wouldnít say my partner is standing behind me watching, more that heís in the cart watching from the side while drinking a beer.    That said, heís usually right. But Iíve been working hard on what heís said for several weeks and hasnít got better.  It just seems an incredible amount off for me not to detect when Iím trying to pay attention to it.   Iím willing to keep working on it I was just hoping for some confirmation that people get that off and donít know it.    

Do you think a playing lesson would be more appropriate or a range lesson for this problem?

Thanks for your thoughts.

Edited by q-school, 13 June 2018 - 07:41 AM.

#4 cleatis

cleatis

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 24118
GolfWRX Likes : 4

Posted 13 June 2018 - 07:48 AM

On a par three place a ball on the tee with the line lined up to the target.  Step back and go through your routine, not paying attention to the line on the ball.  once set up look down at the ball and see if the line appears to be parallel to your set up.

#5 HawkeyeHacker

HawkeyeHacker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 467976
GolfWRX Likes : 37

Posted 13 June 2018 - 08:03 AM

I've recently started picking out an object (leaf, off colored grass, etc.) on the ground a few feet ahead of the ball and in line with the target.  It's made a big difference in getting aligned properly.  Give it a shot if you don't already do it.

#6 davep043

davep043

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,169 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 489076
  • Handicap:4.2
GolfWRX Likes : 863

Posted 13 June 2018 - 09:20 AM

View Postq-school, on 13 June 2018 - 07:33 AM, said:

Not one week, few weeks.  I don't if that matters to you but it's a lot of time working on the fix.   With alignment sticks.  :). Every day.  

I wouldn't say my partner is standing behind me watching, more that he's in the cart watching from the side while drinking a beer. That said, he's usually right. But I've been working hard on what he's said for several weeks and hasn't got better.  It just seems an incredible amount off for me not to detect when I'm trying to pay attention to it.   I'm willing to keep working on it I was just hoping for some confirmation that people get that off and don't know it.

Do you think a playing lesson would be more appropriate or a range lesson for this problem?

A lot of people do what hawkeye hacker suggests, picking out an intermediate target a few feet in front of the ball.  You might take that one step further, pick a target on the intended path of the ball, and another target along your intended foot line, which should be parallel.  Or simply check yourself sometimes, set up to the ball, and then drop your club along your toes, and see where it points.  

I've been playing for nearly 50 years, and play reasonably decent, and I still work on my alignment almost every time I practice.  Its easy to get into bad habits, and hard to break them.  Keep working at it, you'll get it right.

#7 cbutcher1547

cbutcher1547

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 501376
GolfWRX Likes : 9

Posted 13 June 2018 - 09:37 AM

View PostHawkeyeHacker, on 13 June 2018 - 08:03 AM, said:

I've recently started picking out an object (leaf, off colored grass, etc.) on the ground a few feet ahead of the ball and in line with the target.  It's made a big difference in getting aligned properly.  Give it a shot if you don't already do it.

I used to have a hell of a time aligning properly, just like OP. I started doing this for every shot. Off the tee with driver, in the fairway with irons, around the green wedges. Every shot. Helped immensely. Find what ever you can laying on the ground in front of your ball thats somewhere close to the direction of your target, (not always easy, but usually theres a little something) align the face with it, then align your body square to the face. I cant tell you how to hit the ball at your target, but youll at least be aligned with it.

#8 596

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,404 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 122006
GolfWRX Likes : 1400

Posted 13 June 2018 - 09:44 AM

Lots of people can not align too a point or a line.  I find it difficult.  When I align my shot I choose a set of goal posts in front of my ball.  Maybe 5 feet out and 1 ft apart. I align too make that field goal.  For me it is much more accurate.

Edited by 596, 13 June 2018 - 09:45 AM.

#9 Quick Bucket

Quick Bucket

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 484204
GolfWRX Likes : 47

Posted 13 June 2018 - 04:25 PM

Sticks are not the fix, aim the shaft-face with your eyes to keep up with the guys.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors