Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Are you too comfortable on your home course? Does belonging to a club hurt your game?

30 replies to this topic

#1 rxk9fan

rxk9fan

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 370 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 479792
  • Handicap:7
GolfWRX Likes : 263

Posted 13 June 2018 - 04:42 AM

My best rounds have came during two different runs at private clubs.  They were both difficult courses and we played them from the tips and down.  That was when my HC was lowest and had my best round of 69 in a Club Championship.  
BUT, during those times if I went to another course I was usually horrible.  I played so much golf on my home course that I kind of freaked (I know....stupid) when I stepped on the tee anywhere else and usually shot well above my HC.
After my 9 year break from golf, I came back working pretty hard at the game but I have not joined anywhere (I did pick up a practice facility membership).  My HC has not yet made it to where I use to be, but I play a lot of different courses and going somewhere new strikes excitement instead of fear in me.  I shot a 74 last Saturday at a course I had never seen (only 116 slope).  My last 10 rounds have included 6 different courses and only one round was out of the 70's.

I could have never done that before.
Do any of you think you get too accustom to your home course....too comfortable knowing where you should miss and where you should not...too comfortable knowing every green...that when you go to play somewhere else the unknown causes angst and often golf scores worse than your ability?

TM M3 with Motore Speeder VC 6.3 Tour Spec Stiff played at 44.5
Callaway 15 degree SZ with Yellow Hzd. stiff playing 1/2 inch short
Titleist 816 19 degree with Speeder Tour Spec Stiff
Titleist 816 23 degree with Speeder Tour Spec Stiff
TM P770's with Steelfiber shafts PW-6i
TM P790 5i
TM Milled Grind 50SB and 54LB
TM Hi Toe 60
Scotty futura 5w

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#2 Mysticfalcon

Mysticfalcon

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 418736
  • Handicap:16
  • Ebay ID:rboskind
GolfWRX Likes : 17

Posted 13 June 2018 - 04:47 AM

My score is better at my home course but my golf is usually better at another course.  My home course is lots of holes next to each other with only 2 holes having real OB.  This lets me really swing away since if I am on the next fairway over I usually still have a good shot in.  
When I go somewhere else I usually wind up losing a ball on the 1st tee box and then playing a lot more conservatively.

#3 CELTIC

CELTIC

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 389926
  • Handicap:16.4
GolfWRX Likes : 285

Posted 13 June 2018 - 05:06 AM

I'm too "golf poor" to belong to a club and I have no real home course so I don't have these problems...I knew there was an advantage to playing muni's and public course
Driver - TaylorMade M2
3 Wood - Mizuno JPX
Irons 4 - PW - Calloway Apex CF16
48, 52, 56, 58 Vokey. 10,12,14,12
Putter - Odyssey O-works 7s

#4 Titleist983K

Titleist983K

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 62811
  • Ebay ID:3bd4
GolfWRX Likes : 40

Posted 13 June 2018 - 05:19 AM

It can work in your favor to be a member at a really difficult course. That way when you play other courses in the area you'll be used to playing a harder course and your scores might be better due to less demanding fairways, greens, etc.

#5 Roody

Roody

You ride her until she bucks you or don't ride at all

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 936 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 63452
  • Handicap:8.9
GolfWRX Likes : 563

Posted 13 June 2018 - 06:34 AM

My home course is target golf, with lots of OB and hazards. So when I play another course that has bigger fairways, less trouble, I feel like I can blast away without consequence. Also at my home course I can hit a lot of long irons off the tee instead of driver. I know pretty much without thinking which holes I can get away with less distance off the tee, and still leave me a comfortable approach.

But I definitely get what you are saying. I know where all the trouble is at my home course. I know what clubs to hit and not hit in various situations because I know what will leave me short of the trouble, etc. Usually before I even kneel down to read my putt I know generally which direction it's going to go.

Titleist ProV1x
Titleist 915 D2
Titleist 716 T-MB 2-iron
Callaway Apex irons 3-PW
Odyssey Black Series #7
Callaway Jaws and Mack Daddy Wedges

#6 Mike_C

Mike_C

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,258 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 18026
GolfWRX Likes : 144

Posted 13 June 2018 - 06:46 AM

View PostRoody, on 13 June 2018 - 06:34 AM, said:

My home course is target golf, with lots of OB and hazards. So when I play another course that has bigger fairways, less trouble, I feel like I can blast away without consequence. Also at my home course I can hit a lot of long irons off the tee instead of driver. I know pretty much without thinking which holes I can get away with less distance off the tee, and still leave me a comfortable approach.

But I definitely get what you are saying. I know where all the trouble is at my home course. I know what clubs to hit and not hit in various situations because I know what will leave me short of the trouble, etc. Usually before I even kneel down to read my putt I know generally which direction it's going to go.

Same here, my home course has OB and or water in play on every hole but one. Even playing well, I struggle getting around without at least one penalty shot.  When I play other courses, I tend to free up my swing. But I still struggle reading our greens, I quite often putt better away too....
WITB
Cobra BioCell Pro 8.5, Red Tie X or 2017 M2 Fujikura Motore Speeder ts 6.3 X
Cobra BioCell + 3W GD Tour AD DI6 X
Calaway XR PRO 3 Hybrid PX 6.0 75
Titleist CB 714 4-PW Recoil Proto 95 F4
Titleist SM5 52/8 KBS Tour
Calaway MD 4 56/10 S DG Tour 115
Calaway MD 4 60/12 W DG Tour 115
Cure Hybrid 2 or Cleveland Huntington Beach 6C
Srixon Z Star XV or Bridgestone Tour XS

#7 davep043

davep043

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,169 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 489076
  • Handicap:4.2
GolfWRX Likes : 863

Posted 13 June 2018 - 06:58 AM

I think for most people, their game adapts to fit their home club.  For instance, my home club has a few really demanding tee shots, hazard on one side, OB on the other, but we have very few trees in play.  Vonsequently, a player can hit big draws or cuts without worry, as long as the ball lands in the right spot.  When I play tree-lined courses, I struggle a little to hit shots that fly straighter.  On the other hand, we have lots of uphill and downhill holes, blind shots, so I'm fine when I see these shots elsewhere, while others might struggle with a lack of clear target, or trying to figure club selection.  Fortunately, I get away a couple times of year for golf, and I play in an interclub league so I see neighboring courses, so I get to play different styles of courses pretty regularly.  My handicap travels reasonably well.

#8 deadsolid...shank

deadsolid...shank

Legend

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 10,477 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 99408
GolfWRX Likes : 6579

Posted 13 June 2018 - 07:13 AM

I can kind of play my home course on "autopilot". Pretty much know before we get to the tee what club I'll be using. Alsways know on certain holes where to try to play to.  Just not a lot of thought.

I enjoy going someplace new because it gets the brain engaged again. I've found often times I'll play better on a new course because of that. As long as there aren't any real hidde obstacles to wreck a score.

So yes, in a way, I can see where playing one course over and over can be detrimental.
Titleist 910 8.5
Titleist 910 15*
Titleist 910H 17*
2-6 Mizuno MP-60, 7-PW MP-67
SC GoLo
Vokey SM5 52,58,62

#9 kozubs

kozubs

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 176704
  • Handicap:5
GolfWRX Likes : 157

Posted 13 June 2018 - 07:36 AM

I shoot  about 3 strokes better on other courses.  My course is narrow with elevated greens and 4-6" rough everywhere.  Lost balls are very common in the rough.  There's very little water, OB on only 5 holes and forced carries are a non issue for me.  It's the rough and tiny greens that gives my course teeth.  I joined my course because it's the toughest test around and my handicap travels very well.  At least I think so anyways.

Just two days ago I shot 2 stokes below my handicap on a course I have never seen before with terrible greens that had almost the same slope and rating from the tips as my course.  There were probably about 8 blind tee shots 4 of which put me in trouble from not knowing where to hit.  

If I want to mix it up, I'll sometimes play with a total of 4 clubs in the bag or do some other games.

Edited by kozubs, 13 June 2018 - 07:38 AM.

#10 duffer987

duffer987

Wears trousers.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,224 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 201269
  • Handicap:8.6
GolfWRX Likes : 5457

Posted 13 June 2018 - 07:53 AM

For me the comfortableness only applies to middling rounds.

When I am playing well it doesn't matter whether it's my first go on a course or my 100th, good ball striking and decent putting are what they are. I just finished a golf trip playing 10 courses for either the first or second time and I had some really good nines/12 hole runs that wouldn't have been any better on my home course.

When I am kinda just slapping it around and/or lose interest, if it's a course I know then I will still be able (hopefully) to skirt any big numbers and bogey on down the road, where as on a course I don't know I may step into a double or triple, that could have been avoided, with the same 'level' of golf.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#11 Ferguson

Ferguson

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,991 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 371587
  • Handicap:6.1
GolfWRX Likes : 4070

Posted 13 June 2018 - 08:04 AM

No and no.

Playing the same course and mastering that same course helps to build one thing that all golfers desire and need to score better - consistency.

#12 adam667220

adam667220

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 548 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 373857
GolfWRX Likes : 449

Posted 13 June 2018 - 08:07 AM

My home course is a smaller town muni and for whatever reason doesn't have a single bunker on it.  Obviously, when I play elsewhere I'm terrified playing out of bunkers because I never get any practice. I play surprisingly well out of them considering I never practice, but it's nerve-wracking every time.
BC+ Driver 10.5°
BC+ 5 wood 16°
Adam Idea Super XTD hybrid 21°
Callaway X2 Hot Irons 5-AW
52°,56°, 60° wedges
Odyssey White Hot Pro 2cs

#13 MrJones

MrJones

Waiting for the weekend...

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,662 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 18450
  • Handicap:6.8
GolfWRX Likes : 956

Posted 13 June 2018 - 08:09 AM

View PostTitleist983K, on 13 June 2018 - 05:19 AM, said:

It can work in your favor to be a member at a really difficult course. That way when you play other courses in the area you'll be used to playing a harder course and your scores might be better due to less demanding fairways, greens, etc.

My home course plays very difficult (to me) with tee shots, long par 3's, and only 3 par 5's. Lot's of uphill holes and many crummy lies available to choose from around the greens.

So when I play other courses I tend to score better and play better overall.

I would agree that I'm overall less focused when playing at home, unless it's during a tournament round.
Cobra Bio Cell Pro
Cobra Bio Cell+ 3 wood
TM RAC MB 3-PW
Mizuno MP-R 54*, 60*   
Odyssey White Ice 1

#14 Kuchhhhhh

Kuchhhhhh

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,934 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 374835
  • Handicap:0
GolfWRX Likes : 912

Posted 13 June 2018 - 09:43 AM

Lol I HATE my home course...okay hate is a strong word but it plays right into my weaknesses. I joined for 2 reasons. 1) They have the best group of players around compared to other courses and 2) Like I said it plays into my weaknesses. It is a true shotmakers course, you can't overpower it, every tee shot favors either a draw or fade and you're forced to hit less than driver on the majority of par 4's. It's also a par 70 so my strength (par 5 scoring) is greatly diminished given that there is only 2 par 5's on the course.
Taylormade M4 10.5 Atmos X stiff
Taylormade M4 16.5 Proforce V2
Taylormade TP UDI 3 iron X100
Titleist 716 T-MB 4 iron, 716 AP2 5-PW X100
Titleist SM6 50, 54, 60 S300
Taylormade Spider Red

#15 SNIPERBBB

SNIPERBBB

Hit Ball Hard

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,488 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 79142
  • Handicap:6
GolfWRX Likes : 341

Posted 13 June 2018 - 09:59 AM

The thing that hurts me is probably putting...get so used to the speeds of the home greens and can get lost a bit on unfamiliar greens that are slower and grainy.

2016 M1 9.5 tuned to 7.5
TM r15 3 wood
Adams Idea Pro 2h/4h
Mizuno JPX 900 HM 5-GW
Vokey SM7 48* F Grind
Vokey SM7 54* F Grind
Vokey SM7 58* M Grind

#16 MelloYello

MelloYello

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,469 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 152687
GolfWRX Likes : 1126

Posted 13 June 2018 - 10:22 AM

I switched to a tougher and more demanding course this year. It's a narrower course that still has length so tee shots are critical. This week I returned to my former stomping grounds and it was bliss. I hit 12 of 14 fairways. Although I didn't score incredibly well, I think that says something.

View Postduffer987, on 13 June 2018 - 07:53 AM, said:

For me the comfortableness only applies to middling rounds.

When I am playing well it doesn't matter whether it's my first go on a course or my 100th, good ball striking and decent putting are what they are.

I also agree with this. If I'm driving it well, my irons are usually also decent and golf (anywhere) generally goes well.
A set of golf clubs.
That one
This one
Those others
A putter
You know

#17 jdl

jdl

Masshole

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 933 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 272218
  • Handicap:7.1
GolfWRX Likes : 389

Posted 13 June 2018 - 10:48 AM

View PostRoody, on 13 June 2018 - 06:34 AM, said:

I'm in a similar situation, home course is very tight, "target golf". And yes, playing a more wide open course can have a liberating effect. However, I notice sometimes on those courses I get a little lax on picking a specific target since it's so much more open. And then even though things are more generous, I still find trouble. :) And other times might play a little too conservatively just because I'm so used to playing that way.

Edited by jdl, 13 June 2018 - 10:48 AM.

#18 Sean2

Sean2

#TheWRX (Callaway Trip)

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 29,507 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 29539
  • Ebay ID:None
GolfWRX Likes : 16728

Posted 13 June 2018 - 01:32 PM

My home course is littered with hazards, not a lot of rough, and small greens. I usually feel more "comfortable" playing other courses as I find them more forgiving.
Callaway Rogue
Callaway GBB Epic 4/7/9
Callaway Steelhead XR 5
Callaway Apex CF16 6-AW
Callaway MD3/MD-PM 54/58
Callaway "O" Works #7

#19 RH2

RH2

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 482936
  • Handicap:18
GolfWRX Likes : 34

Posted 13 June 2018 - 03:24 PM

I love playing new courses because my home course is a challenging 132 slope from the Blues (the tips are a 136 and one further back from the blues). It’s a tough course with a lot of water, bunkers, and trees.
My 2 best rounds this year we’re from vacation rounds in Scottsdale and Denver.

#20 aliikane

aliikane

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,428 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 113801
  • Handicap:2
GolfWRX Likes : 247

Posted 14 June 2018 - 11:17 PM

I think playing at different courses definitely helps your game. When you just play the same course, all your targets are picked and you can just go into autopilot without thinking. Then when you go to a new course, having to pick different targets and seeing different hazards, tree lines, etc can be mentally tougher. To add to that, I think playing tougher courses makes you better. Personally, I get bored playing the same course all the time unless I am working on something specific.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#21 andrue

andrue

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 724 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 458618
  • Handicap:22
GolfWRX Likes : 282

Posted 15 June 2018 - 02:50 PM

I belong to a club but I play 'away' most weekends. There's over half a dozen courses around here that I play frequently. I've never understood why people would want to restrict themselves to just one course. It has to get kinda boring and all you have to do is pick the phone up and book a tee on another course.

Variety is the spice of life ;)

Edited by andrue, 15 June 2018 - 02:52 PM.

Callaway XR Driver.
Callaway Big Bertha OS Hybrids (3/4/5)
Callaway Big Bertha OS Irons (6/7/8/9/PW/AW/SW)
Cleveland 60* LW
Callaway 64* Sureout wedge
Ghost Spider Si 72 Putter
Callaway Super Soft Yellow (White in winter).

#22 SNIPERBBB

SNIPERBBB

Hit Ball Hard

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,488 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 79142
  • Handicap:6
GolfWRX Likes : 341

Posted 15 June 2018 - 03:05 PM

Hard to try to travel an hour away to play when there's money to win at home...
2016 M1 9.5 tuned to 7.5
TM r15 3 wood
Adams Idea Pro 2h/4h
Mizuno JPX 900 HM 5-GW
Vokey SM7 48* F Grind
Vokey SM7 54* F Grind
Vokey SM7 58* M Grind

#23 Nykt1000

Nykt1000

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 437812
GolfWRX Likes : 33

Posted 15 June 2018 - 07:03 PM

My home course is one of the top 3 hardest in the state. Everything else close by is easier compared to it.

#24 FourTops

FourTops

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 386 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 500886
  • Handicap:5.7
GolfWRX Likes : 176

Posted 15 June 2018 - 08:00 PM

Scores can be better at "away" courses because the level of expectation is also less....Zen Golf.

#25 Big Ben

Big Ben

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,692 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 14306
  • Handicap:5
GolfWRX Likes : 1065

Posted 15 June 2018 - 08:16 PM

Need to be able to take the show on the road. Exception being if your home course is a total brute which in theory would lend itself to confident play elsewhere. I tend to see guys that play 80 rounds on the same course struggle on the occasion you can pull them away. Just not used to thinking much when they are playing out of yesterday's divits. BB

Irons: 3/10 Edel carbon RAW, Fourteen FH-1000
Drivers: Ping G400
Fairway: Titleist 917F2
Hybrid: A-Grind
2 iron: Ping Rapture
Wedges: Ping Gorge 2.0 Stealth's  
Putter: Toulon Indianapolis
Balls: 2017 B330s

#26 oikos1

oikos1

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,992 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 124406
GolfWRX Likes : 848

Posted 15 June 2018 - 08:26 PM

View PostFourTops, on 15 June 2018 - 08:00 PM, said:

Scores can be better at "away" courses because the level of expectation is also less....Zen Golf.

Haha.  Absolutely love high flow states, but I highly doubt better scores are repeatable with lowered expectations at ''away" courses with any level of consistency.

#27 FourTops

FourTops

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 386 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2018 - 08:30 PM

View Postoikos1, on 15 June 2018 - 08:26 PM, said:

Haha.  Absolutely love high flow states, but I highly doubt better scores are repeatable with lowered expectations at ''away" courses with any level of consistency.

Who said repeatable?  Not me.

#28 oikos1

oikos1

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,992 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 124406
GolfWRX Likes : 848

Posted 15 June 2018 - 09:41 PM

View PostFourTops, on 15 June 2018 - 08:30 PM, said:

Oh, so then it's kind of a fluky thing. Got it.

#29 FourTops

FourTops

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 386 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2018 - 10:55 PM

View Postoikos1, on 15 June 2018 - 09:41 PM, said:

View PostFourTops, on 15 June 2018 - 08:30 PM, said:

Oh, so then it's kind of a fluky thing. Got it.

Not fluky...just pointing out that when one doesn't have expectations in golf....they sometimes play better.  Folks are much more likely to get down on themselves on home courses when they don't play well..because they "expect" to play well.  That's all I'm saying.

#30 Hit 'Em Straight

Hit 'Em Straight

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 285 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 480284
  • Handicap:14
GolfWRX Likes : 921

Posted 16 June 2018 - 07:31 AM

I have a wide range of scores at my home course, but tend to play right to my handicap on the road.

My most recent card has everything from an 82 to a 104 on it, with the two extremes coming at home.

My 4 away rounds on the card are 89, 90, 90 and 91, all of which were at different courses.  So I seem to be much more consistent playing away.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors