Jump to content

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

* * - - - 3 votes

Proposed solution to "backstopping"


53 replies to this topic

#31 Stuart G.

Stuart G.

    Legend

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,753 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 174728
  • Joined: 04/12/2012
  • Location:New Hampshire
GolfWRX Likes : 6610

Posted 13 June 2018 - 09:55 AM

View Postdavep043, on 13 June 2018 - 09:49 AM, said:

The cries of outrage over some of the video review penalties did apparently lead to changes in the policies of the professional tours and to changes in the wording of the rules of golf.  Who knows what might happen.

True - but (if I remember correctly) even then there were "murmurs" from the ruling bodies that they would be "looking into it"  (the standard non-commital acknowledgment  of a potential problem) prior to any changes.

Edited by Stuart G., 13 June 2018 - 09:55 AM.


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


1

#32 Stuart G.

Stuart G.

    Legend

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,753 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 174728
  • Joined: 04/12/2012
  • Location:New Hampshire
GolfWRX Likes : 6610

Posted 13 June 2018 - 09:58 AM

View PostNorth Texas, on 13 June 2018 - 09:40 AM, said:

I'm truly amazed that people are actually failing to see that there is an integrity issue involved here.

But it's only a "problem" when the ball could be marked without any affect on the pace of play. So the message is that pace of play is more important than integrity?

Curious, isn't it?

Edited by Stuart G., 13 June 2018 - 09:59 AM.


2

#33 davep043

davep043

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,822 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 489076
  • Joined: 12/20/2017
  • Location:Reston, VA, and Southern Pines, NC
  • Handicap:4.2
GolfWRX Likes : 1572

Posted 13 June 2018 - 10:12 AM

View PostStuart G., on 13 June 2018 - 09:58 AM, said:

View PostNorth Texas, on 13 June 2018 - 09:40 AM, said:

I'm truly amazed that people are actually failing to see that there is an integrity issue involved here.

But it's only a "problem" when the ball could be marked without any affect on the pace of play. So the message is that pace of play is more important than integrity?

Curious, isn't it?
The wording is "without undue delay", not without any impact at all.  In most of the cases I've taken issue with, the player whose ball is near the hole is standing 15 feet away for 15 or 20 seconds while the other guy goes through his pre-shot preparations.  He could mark the ball with very little impact, and in many cases no impact at all.  He doesn't have to hurry, he doesn't have to tell anyone to wait, he can just go mark, but specifically chooses not to.  And when asked about it, they use the pace of play excuse to disguise their lack of integrity.

Edited by davep043, 13 June 2018 - 10:13 AM.


3

#34 North Texas

North Texas

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,683 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 103646
  • Joined: 02/18/2010
  • Location:North of Dallas
GolfWRX Likes : 2342

Posted 13 June 2018 - 10:29 AM

View Postdavep043, on 13 June 2018 - 10:12 AM, said:

View PostStuart G., on 13 June 2018 - 09:58 AM, said:

View PostNorth Texas, on 13 June 2018 - 09:40 AM, said:

I'm truly amazed that people are actually failing to see that there is an integrity issue involved here.

But it's only a "problem" when the ball could be marked without any affect on the pace of play. So the message is that pace of play is more important than integrity?

Curious, isn't it?
The wording is "without undue delay", not without any impact at all.  In most of the cases I've taken issue with, the player whose ball is near the hole is standing 15 feet away for 15 or 20 seconds while the other guy goes through his pre-shot preparations.  He could mark the ball with very little impact, and in many cases no impact at all.  He doesn't have to hurry, he doesn't have to tell anyone to wait, he can just go mark, but specifically chooses not to.  And when asked about it, they use the pace of play excuse to disguise their lack of integrity.

The last sentence absolutely nailed it!

4

#35 Stuart G.

Stuart G.

    Legend

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,753 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 174728
  • Joined: 04/12/2012
  • Location:New Hampshire
GolfWRX Likes : 6610

Posted 13 June 2018 - 11:11 AM

View Postdavep043, on 13 June 2018 - 10:12 AM, said:

The wording is "without undue delay", not without any impact at all.  In most of the cases I've taken issue with, the player whose ball is near the hole is standing 15 feet away for 15 or 20 seconds while the other guy goes through his pre-shot preparations.  He could mark the ball with very little impact, and in many cases no impact at all.  He doesn't have to hurry, he doesn't have to tell anyone to wait, he can just go mark, but specifically chooses not to.  And when asked about it, they use the pace of play excuse to disguise their lack of integrity.

Changing the wording doesn't change the point. The fact that such an excuse exists at all just reinforces the point, it doesn't address it.   Regardless of whether the excuse is mis-used or not, there are still plenty of cases where a ball is in a position to assist another player and it can unduly delay play to mark it yet no one is complaining about the integrity of the players or the need to protect the field in those cases.

So it really is an "issue" that's less important than and clearly subservient to place of play.

Edited by Stuart G., 13 June 2018 - 11:13 AM.


5

#36 North Texas

North Texas

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,683 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 103646
  • Joined: 02/18/2010
  • Location:North of Dallas
GolfWRX Likes : 2342

Posted 13 June 2018 - 11:19 AM

View PostStuart G., on 13 June 2018 - 11:11 AM, said:

View Postdavep043, on 13 June 2018 - 10:12 AM, said:

The wording is "without undue delay", not without any impact at all.  In most of the cases I've taken issue with, the player whose ball is near the hole is standing 15 feet away for 15 or 20 seconds while the other guy goes through his pre-shot preparations.  He could mark the ball with very little impact, and in many cases no impact at all.  He doesn't have to hurry, he doesn't have to tell anyone to wait, he can just go mark, but specifically chooses not to.  And when asked about it, they use the pace of play excuse to disguise their lack of integrity.

Changing the wording doesn't change the point. The fact that such an excuse exists at all just reinforces the point, it doesn't address it.   Regardless of whether the excuse is mis-used or not, there are still plenty of cases where a ball is in a position to assist another player and it can unduly delay play to mark it yet no one is complaining about the integrity of the players or the need to protect the field in those cases.

So it really is an "issue" that's less important than and clearly subservient to place of play.

Except we're talking about it taking 10 or 15 seconds at the most which does not "unduly delay play". Hardly a pace of play issue.

6

#37 WidespreadPanic

WidespreadPanic

    Wizard in the Corner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,580 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 425856
  • Joined: 05/19/2016
  • Location:Washington DC
  • Handicap:1.1
GolfWRX Likes : 2480

Posted 13 June 2018 - 11:20 AM

View PostGMR, on 13 June 2018 - 03:05 AM, said:

Very very simple. Change the rule such that BOTH balls are played as they lie, even after a collision. You are right by the pin and opponent knocks you off the green? Tough luck, should have marked. Guarantee guys start marking anytime there's even a remote chance the opponent's shot might impair their own position.

Thoughts?
Not good. Not good at all.
Taylormade M2 ('17) 10.5*
Cobra F7 15.5*
Taylormade M1 ('17) 19*
Mizuno MPH5 4i
Mizuno MP33 5-PW
Cleveland RTX 588 2.0 52**, 56**, 60**
Taylormade TP Red Ardmore 3
Taylormade TPx

7

#38 davep043

davep043

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,822 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 489076
  • Joined: 12/20/2017
  • Location:Reston, VA, and Southern Pines, NC
  • Handicap:4.2
GolfWRX Likes : 1572

Posted 13 June 2018 - 11:21 AM

View PostStuart G., on 13 June 2018 - 11:11 AM, said:

View Postdavep043, on 13 June 2018 - 10:12 AM, said:

The wording is "without undue delay", not without any impact at all.  In most of the cases I've taken issue with, the player whose ball is near the hole is standing 15 feet away for 15 or 20 seconds while the other guy goes through his pre-shot preparations.  He could mark the ball with very little impact, and in many cases no impact at all.  He doesn't have to hurry, he doesn't have to tell anyone to wait, he can just go mark, but specifically chooses not to.  And when asked about it, they use the pace of play excuse to disguise their lack of integrity.

Changing the wording doesn't change the point. The fact that such an excuse exists at all just reinforces the point, it doesn't address it.   Regardless of whether the excuse is mis-used, there are still plenty of cases where a ball is in a position to assist another player and it can unduly delay play to mark it yet no one is complaining about the integrity of the players or the need to protect the field in those cases.

So it really is an "issue" that's clearly subservient to place of play.
I didn't change the wording, I clarified that the wording leaves some room for interpretation.  We'll have to agree that we disagree here.  To me, the wording indicates that if you're 100 yards away, you shouldn't feel obligated to make your FC wait while you mark your ball.  If you can get to your ball in a reasonable amount of time, you SHOULD mark it, to protect the rest of the field.  Because situations can vary so greatly, its not possible to write an absolute rule that's workable.

I'll go back to the match play context.  If my ball is a foot behind the hole, and you're chipping, I'll make you wait for 5 or 10 seconds  while I go up and mark.  That does not "unduly" delay play.   I'd be stupid to give you that potential assistance. If we're 100 yards out, even 30 yards, I may not care.  If I'd do that in a Ryder Cup match, I should do the same thing in the Valero Open.

8

#39 Stuart G.

Stuart G.

    Legend

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,753 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 174728
  • Joined: 04/12/2012
  • Location:New Hampshire
GolfWRX Likes : 6610

Posted 13 June 2018 - 11:38 AM

View Postdavep043, on 13 June 2018 - 11:21 AM, said:

We'll have to agree that we disagree here.  

Sorry, I don't think it's an issue of agreement or not - at least not about what you are trying to explain.   You still seem to be missing my point - maybe my explanation isn't clear.  But it's not about the distinction you're trying to explain.  The point is concerning the existence of such a distinction, not my understanding of that distinction.

Let me rephrase it using your example.

View Postdavep043, on 13 June 2018 - 11:21 AM, said:

To me, the wording indicates that if you're 100 yards away, you shouldn't feel obligated to make your FC wait while you mark your ball.  If you can get to your ball in a reasonable amount of time, you SHOULD mark it, to protect the rest of the field.

If protecting the field is so important (to warrant the level of outrage many are expressing), why shouldn't you feel obligated to make your FC wait while you go mark your ball?

Edited by Stuart G., 13 June 2018 - 11:41 AM.


9

#40 davep043

davep043

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,822 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 489076
  • Joined: 12/20/2017
  • Location:Reston, VA, and Southern Pines, NC
  • Handicap:4.2
GolfWRX Likes : 1572

Posted 13 June 2018 - 11:52 AM

View PostStuart G., on 13 June 2018 - 11:38 AM, said:

View Postdavep043, on 13 June 2018 - 11:21 AM, said:

We'll have to agree that we disagree here.  

Sorry, I don't think it's an issue of agreement or not - at least not about what you are trying to explain.   You still seem to be missing my point - maybe my explanation isn't clear.  But it's not about the distinction you're trying to explain.  The point is concerning the existence of such a distinction, not my understanding of that distinction.

Let me rephrase it using your example.

View Postdavep043, on 13 June 2018 - 11:21 AM, said:

To me, the wording indicates that if you're 100 yards away, you shouldn't feel obligated to make your FC wait while you mark your ball.  If you can get to your ball in a reasonable amount of time, you SHOULD mark it, to protect the rest of the field.

If protecting the field is so important (to warrant the level of outrage many are expressing), why shouldn't you feel obligated to make your FC wait while you go mark your ball?
Because the chances of even the best player in the world hitting the other ball are so extremely slim that it doesn't merit the delay required.  Pace of play has some influence, along with reasonable judgement.  As you get closer, the delay becomes smaller as the likelihood of actual assistance increases, so at some point protecting the field SHOULD override the small delay.

View PostStuart G., on 13 June 2018 - 11:11 AM, said:

So it really is an "issue" that's less important than and clearly subservient to place of play.

Protecting the field is NOT "clearly subservient to place of play", both factor into the judgement.  If the rulemakers had intended pace of play to be the overriding factor, they certainly could easily have worded the rule to make that explicitly clear.  They chose to write it in such a way that a limited delay is clearly an acceptable cost for protecting the field.


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


10

#41 Stuart G.

Stuart G.

    Legend

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,753 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 174728
  • Joined: 04/12/2012
  • Location:New Hampshire
GolfWRX Likes : 6610

Posted 13 June 2018 - 12:10 PM

View Postdavep043, on 13 June 2018 - 11:52 AM, said:

Because the chances of even the best player in the world hitting the other ball are so extremely slim that it doesn't merit the delay required.  Pace of play has some influence, along with reasonable judgement.  As you get closer, the delay becomes smaller as the likelihood of actual assistance increases, so at some point protecting the field SHOULD override the small delay.

There is some place we should probably agree to disagree.   Even up close, the chances of any actual assistance are extremely small statistically, much less than 1%.   Much more likely even smaller then 0.1%.   And that's for the Pros.  It would be almost infinitesimal if you included all play under the rules.

View Postdavep043, on 13 June 2018 - 11:52 AM, said:

Protecting the field is NOT "clearly subservient to place of play", both factor into the judgement.  

By your own arguments,  If there is a potential to assist play, the player shouldn't feel any obligation to have the ball marked if it would unduly delay play.  That, by definition, is subservience.

View Postdavep043, on 13 June 2018 - 11:52 AM, said:

If the rulemakers had intended pace of play to be the overriding factor, they certainly could easily have worded the rule to make that explicitly clear.  They chose to write it in such a way that a limited delay is clearly an acceptable cost for protecting the field.

And I didn't say or even imply it was subservient in the eyes of the ruling bodies, I implied it was subservient in the eyes of the people complaining about the players actions.  

They could have also changed the wording of rule 22-1 to actually make some reference to the need or desire to protect the field - but they choose not to.

Edited by Stuart G., 13 June 2018 - 12:18 PM.


11

#42 davep043

davep043

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,822 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 489076
  • Joined: 12/20/2017
  • Location:Reston, VA, and Southern Pines, NC
  • Handicap:4.2
GolfWRX Likes : 1572

Posted 13 June 2018 - 12:23 PM

View PostStuart G., on 13 June 2018 - 12:10 PM, said:


They could have also changed the wording of rule 22-1 to actually make some reference to the need or desire to protect the field - but they choose not to.
At least for the next 6 months or so, you need to review the Decisions too:

Quote

22/7


Ball Assisting Fellow-Competitor on Putting Green; Procedure for Referee If Competitor Does Not Lift Ball


Q.In stroke play, a competitor's ball is in a position to assist the play of a fellow-competitor and the competitor is in a position to lift the ball under Rule 22-1 without delaying the fellow-competitor's play. However, the competitor does not take any action to invoke the Rule. Would a referee be justified in intervening and requesting the competitor to invoke the Rule to protect himself and the rest of the field?

A.Yes. If the competitor were to object, there would be strong evidence of an agreement not to lift the ball for the purpose of assisting the fellow-competitor in breach of Rule 22-1. The referee would be justified in so advising the competitors involved and warning that failure to lift the ball would result in disqualification under Rule 22-1.


12

#43 Stuart G.

Stuart G.

    Legend

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,753 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 174728
  • Joined: 04/12/2012
  • Location:New Hampshire
GolfWRX Likes : 6610

Posted 13 June 2018 - 12:33 PM

yes that decision is very helpful for a ref on how to test if there might be an agreement in place between players not to lift a ball.  I agree that the field certainly does need to be protected from that kind of thing.  And the wording in rule 22-1 already makes it clear that that is not acceptable.

Edited by Stuart G., 13 June 2018 - 12:35 PM.


13

#44 bscinstnct

bscinstnct

    Legend

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,695 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 77664
  • Joined: 03/17/2009
GolfWRX Likes : 18841

Posted 13 June 2018 - 12:54 PM

Good for a little shadiness in golf so it not so goody goody

If you don't want the guy to mark you be like

Posted Image

14

#45 BlackDiamondPar5

BlackDiamondPar5

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,815 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 71580
  • Joined: 12/30/2008
  • Location:Western NY
GolfWRX Likes : 3350

Posted 13 June 2018 - 12:55 PM

View Postbscinstnct, on 13 June 2018 - 12:54 PM, said:

Good for a little shadiness in golf so it not so goody goody

If you don't want the guy to mark you be like

Posted Image
Classic


15

#46 Ben Martinez

Ben Martinez

    Bird is the word

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 114796
  • Joined: 09/12/2010
  • Location:East Coast
  • Handicap:3
GolfWRX Likes : 32

Posted 13 June 2018 - 01:38 PM

View PostGMR, on 13 June 2018 - 03:05 AM, said:

Very very simple. Change the rule such that BOTH balls are played as they lie, even after a collision. You are right by the pin and opponent knocks you off the green? Tough luck, should have marked. Guarantee guys start marking anytime there's even a remote chance the opponent's shot might impair their own position.

Thoughts?
not a bad idea....would stop people from leaving their ball on the green because the ball that is there will likely move further away.

16

#47 Redjeep83

Redjeep83

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,806 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 115910
  • Joined: 10/08/2010
GolfWRX Likes : 830

Posted 13 June 2018 - 01:41 PM

View PostBen Martinez, on 13 June 2018 - 01:38 PM, said:

View PostGMR, on 13 June 2018 - 03:05 AM, said:

Very very simple. Change the rule such that BOTH balls are played as they lie, even after a collision. You are right by the pin and opponent knocks you off the green? Tough luck, should have marked. Guarantee guys start marking anytime there's even a remote chance the opponent's shot might impair their own position.

Thoughts?
not a bad idea....would stop people from leaving their ball on the green because the ball that is there will likely move further away.

haha, uh no. You will have guys having players wait to hit their approaches from 175 out while you mark your ball

17

#48 BlackDiamondPar5

BlackDiamondPar5

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,815 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 71580
  • Joined: 12/30/2008
  • Location:Western NY
GolfWRX Likes : 3350

Posted 13 June 2018 - 01:42 PM

View PostRedjeep83, on 13 June 2018 - 01:41 PM, said:

View PostBen Martinez, on 13 June 2018 - 01:38 PM, said:

View PostGMR, on 13 June 2018 - 03:05 AM, said:

Very very simple. Change the rule such that BOTH balls are played as they lie, even after a collision. You are right by the pin and opponent knocks you off the green? Tough luck, should have marked. Guarantee guys start marking anytime there's even a remote chance the opponent's shot might impair their own position.

Thoughts?
not a bad idea....would stop people from leaving their ball on the green because the ball that is there will likely move further away.

haha, uh no. You will have guys having players wait to hit their approaches from 175 out while you mark your ball
Exactly... No need to slow the game down. Just solutions looking for a problem.

18

#49 sui generis

sui generis

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,451 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 132389
  • Joined: 07/05/2011
  • Location:Asheville
GolfWRX Likes : 2316

Posted 13 June 2018 - 01:57 PM

View PostBen Martinez, on 13 June 2018 - 01:38 PM, said:

View PostGMR, on 13 June 2018 - 03:05 AM, said:

Very very simple. Change the rule such that BOTH balls are played as they lie, even after a collision. You are right by the pin and opponent knocks you off the green? Tough luck, should have marked. Guarantee guys start marking anytime there's even a remote chance the opponent's shot might impair their own position.

Thoughts?
not a bad idea....would stop people from leaving their ball on the green because the ball that is there will likely move further away.

Worse than a bad idea, it's a dreadful idea. The player is entitled to the lie which his stroke gave him. D13-2/8.5 is a clear example of this principle.
Knowledge of the Rules is part of the applied skill set which a player must use to play a round of competitive golf.

19

#50 BNGL

BNGL

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,229 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 472816
  • Joined: 06/26/2017
  • Location:Jupiter, Florida
GolfWRX Likes : 890

Posted 13 June 2018 - 07:38 PM

Let’s just do away with any groups of more than 1, singles only. Problem solved


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

20

#51 Outlier

Outlier

    OUTLIER

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,173 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 105230
  • Joined: 03/23/2010
  • Location:Ice Cold in Charlotte, NC
  • Handicap:1906
GolfWRX Likes : 382

Posted 13 June 2018 - 08:18 PM

View Postdavep043, on 13 June 2018 - 07:31 AM, said:

View PostSwisstrader98, on 13 June 2018 - 07:24 AM, said:

I liked DJ's response at the press conference at Shinnecock when they asked him about backstopping. He was like "HUH"?? Not even sure he knew what the term meant.
DJ isn't exactly the sharpest knife in the drawer, although 140 characters just might be the kind of reading he'd consider.  I'd be surprised if he's ever read the actual rule, or has thought about the reasoning behind it, and I don't think he's alone in that.  Based on what I've read from other players, most don't understand the rule either.

I seriously don't get the whole "DJ is dumb" shtick....now Jimmy Walker- he proved he was both loud and dumb.  DJ is just laid back in my opinion.  Outside of the waste area/bunker thing I think he seems as tuned in as the majority of PGA rank and file.  He answers post round and pre-tournament interview/press conference questions with as much acumen as any of the rest of them save "Professor" Phil.

Edited by Outlier, 13 June 2018 - 08:19 PM.


21

#52 Valtiel

Valtiel

    Trap Draw

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 150887
  • Joined: 12/12/2011
  • Location:Scotts Valley, CA
  • Handicap:1.7
GolfWRX Likes : 1153

Posted 13 June 2018 - 08:40 PM

This controversy was dumb the first time it came up, it is dumb now, and it will be dumb the next time it comes up unless golf balls have somehow tripled in size.
Posted Image M1 430 8.5* Tensei Pro Orange V2 70TX || Posted Image 915D3 8.5* Diamana Kai'li 80x
  Posted Image  XHot 3Deep Pro 14.5* Fujikura Motore VC 8.3 Tour Spec X
| | Posted Image SQ2 13* Diamana Blueboard 83x
Posted Image Tour Issue SQ2 17* Diamana Blueboard 103x || Posted Image SQ2 15* Diamana Blueboard 93x
Posted Image Anser 20* Aldila Rogue Black 110MSI 105h Tour-X || Posted Image V-Steel 21* Project X Rifle Satin 6.5
Posted Image MP-H4 3i 21* Project X PXi 7.0
Posted Image MP-H4 4i 24* Project X PXi 7.0

Posted Image MP-59 4i-PW 27*- 48* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Posted Image Mild Raw 8620 54* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Posted Image  SM6 58* Oil Can Low Bounce K-Grind
Brunswick Precision FCM 7.3 SSx1
Posted Image Special 62* Black Oxide V-Grind Brunswick Precision FCM 7.3 SSx2
Posted Image Santa Fe Bullseye shaft
                                                             WITB Thread

22

#53 WidespreadPanic

WidespreadPanic

    Wizard in the Corner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,580 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 425856
  • Joined: 05/19/2016
  • Location:Washington DC
  • Handicap:1.1
GolfWRX Likes : 2480

Posted 13 June 2018 - 08:43 PM

View PostOutlier, on 13 June 2018 - 08:18 PM, said:

View Postdavep043, on 13 June 2018 - 07:31 AM, said:

View PostSwisstrader98, on 13 June 2018 - 07:24 AM, said:

I liked DJ's response at the press conference at Shinnecock when they asked him about backstopping. He was like "HUH"?? Not even sure he knew what the term meant.
DJ isn't exactly the sharpest knife in the drawer, although 140 characters just might be the kind of reading he'd consider.  I'd be surprised if he's ever read the actual rule, or has thought about the reasoning behind it, and I don't think he's alone in that.  Based on what I've read from other players, most don't understand the rule either.

I seriously don't get the whole "DJ is dumb" shtick....now Jimmy Walker- he proved he was both loud and dumb.  DJ is just laid back in my opinion.  Outside of the waste area/bunker thing I think he seems as tuned in as the majority of PGA rank and file.  He answers post round and pre-tournament interview/press conference questions with as much acumen as any of the rest of them save "Professor" Phil.
I dont either. What if Spieth had the same response? When Spieth was asked about the new 2 hole playoff format he had no idea that it had changed. Does that make Spieth not the sharpest knife? People should take a look at the notes he takes during practice rounds, especially for majors.

Edited by WidespreadPanic, 13 June 2018 - 08:44 PM.

Taylormade M2 ('17) 10.5*
Cobra F7 15.5*
Taylormade M1 ('17) 19*
Mizuno MPH5 4i
Mizuno MP33 5-PW
Cleveland RTX 588 2.0 52**, 56**, 60**
Taylormade TP Red Ardmore 3
Taylormade TPx

23

#54 whartonry

whartonry

    whartonry

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 35335
  • Joined: 07/23/2007
  • Location:Cincinnati, OH
  • Handicap:1.2
  • Ebay ID:whartygolf
GolfWRX Likes : 23

Posted 15 June 2018 - 10:26 PM

These guys are really good, but not good enough to even make this an issue worthy to be talked about as much as it has.....

24



0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors