Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Winter wonderland

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Singapore Joe

Singapore Joe

Major? Winner?

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,219 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 176066
GolfWRX Likes : 414

Posted 13 June 2018 - 01:47 AM

The winter has arrived. There's snow in the mountains and the ski season will start any day now. In Victoria, Australia that is.

This is great! Played several weekday rounds in the last couple of weeks where we have top courses almost all for ourselves. Gets a bit cold and windy and sometimes wet but we are talking of playing courses like Settlers Run or RACV Cape Schank and hardly seeing anybody else, let alone having to wait on a single shot. There are also great deals to be had on green fees.

This is also great for hoing all sorts of low-launching clubs for hitting into the wind. And the weather provides endless excuses for bad shots.

Soon the pressure to go skiing will start building up and for someone who grew up in proper snow, the Australian skiing experience is a bit underwhelming. There just needs to be a snake in each paradise I guess.

TM R11S 10.5 HZRDUS Yellow 65
TM R11S 5w Fujikura Speeder Evo II FW
Callaway Apex UT 18, Recoil 95
Callaway Apex Pro 3-9,P Recoil 110
Cleveland 588 54,60
Odyssey White Hot XG1 Fatso 5.0

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#2 ckaufman

ckaufman

Trump 2020

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 202247
GolfWRX Likes : 36

Posted 13 June 2018 - 01:18 PM

I personally don't mind playing in cold weather. Like you said, you get great deals on tee times and the courses are virtually empty. The balls don't go as far as they do in warm weather and there's usually a lot of wind, so you really need to be creative with your shots. It tests every part of your game, especially mental strength. I live in New Jersey and went to college in Vermont, and our winters here get COLD. As long as there's no snow, I'm playing. I just pack a hat and some hand warmers and I'm all set.
Cleveland 588 3W 15.5*
Cleveland Classic XL 5W 18*
Cleveland Classic XL 7W 20.5*
Adams Tight Lies 5H 25*
Nike VR Pro Cavity 6i-8i
Nike VR Forged Pro Combo 9i-PW
Cleveland 588 Forged 54* / 60*
Wilson Staff 8802 33"

#3 Singapore Joe

Singapore Joe

Major? Winner?

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,219 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 176066
GolfWRX Likes : 414

Posted 13 June 2018 - 05:20 PM

View Postckaufman, on 13 June 2018 - 01:18 PM, said:

I personally don't mind playing in cold weather. Like you said, you get great deals on tee times and the courses are virtually empty. The balls don't go as far as they do in warm weather and there's usually a lot of wind, so you really need to be creative with your shots. It tests every part of your game, especially mental strength. I live in New Jersey and went to college in Vermont, and our winters here get COLD. As long as there's no snow, I'm playing. I just pack a hat and some hand warmers and I'm all set.
That upper right hand corner of the USA must be awesome. Mostly go to USA for business and then it's always to the West Coast.

Melbourne (Australia that is, not Florida) is one of those places where the weather is - if a slight exaggeration is allowed - always miserable. Either it's too friggin' hot or we are in the receiving end of the cold fronts circumnavigating the Antarctic. A few of years in Christmas (i.e. in the middle of the summer here) got home around 10pm and it was +43 degrees (109F) . Overnight we were hit by one of those cold fronts and at 7am, when heading to play golf, l it was +17 (62F) and raining.

Lesson to learn: if you wait for good weather to do things you want to do you will never get to do anything. Besides, I grew up in Finland so it's not really that cold here. Nothing that warm clothes wouldn't fix.

Yesterday wasn't too bad, just cold and windy ;) Hit a great drive into the wind and watch the ball fly full 180 yards. For my golf, even perfect conditions are challenging and strong winds definitely are pure cryptonite but there is certain charm in these conditions as well. Maybe Colorado is where one needs to play his winter golf. Went there skiing in January and totally fell in love with the place. That altitude should do wonders to the shot distances.
TM R11S 10.5 HZRDUS Yellow 65
TM R11S 5w Fujikura Speeder Evo II FW
Callaway Apex UT 18, Recoil 95
Callaway Apex Pro 3-9,P Recoil 110
Cleveland 588 54,60
Odyssey White Hot XG1 Fatso 5.0

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors