Jump to content

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

got fitted, but........


  • Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 PoeKingShankspeare

PoeKingShankspeare

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 85508
  • Joined: 06/14/2009
GolfWRX Likes : 33

Posted 13 June 2018 - 01:07 AM

The longest iron (7i) i got fitted for tends to miss right of target about 10-15 yards. The rest of the other clubs are fine, they allow me to hit in the direction I'm aiming for, and they are long. Crisp contact, and it's hot off the face. Not with the 7i, it's a hit or miss.

i got fitted last week (1* up) and hit less than 200 balls with this 7 iron. I've also hit the other new irons I got fitted for and they all are perfect. Though I still need to get used to them - distance has increased and need to dial them in.

Anyway, should I bring it to the attention of the fitter, or just wait a couple of weeks before having the lie checked. Though, it could be me and not the tool.


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


1

#2 Valtiel

Valtiel

    Trap Draw

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,395 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 150887
  • Joined: 12/12/2011
  • Location:Scotts Valley, CA
  • Handicap:1.7
GolfWRX Likes : 1110

Posted 13 June 2018 - 01:40 AM

It should cost you nothing to have the lie checked so i'd go do that right away. If everything else is consistent then the simplest explanation is some specification. You should also have the swing weight checked while you're at it to make sure it isn't for some reason heavier.
Posted Image M1 430 8.5* Tensei Pro Orange V2 70TX || Posted Image 915D3 8.5* Diamana Kai'li 80x
  Posted Image  XHot 3Deep Pro 14.5* Fujikura Motore VC 8.3 Tour Spec X
| | Posted Image SQ2 13* Diamana Blueboard 83x
Posted Image Tour Issue SQ2 17* Diamana Blueboard 103x || Posted Image SQ2 15* Diamana Blueboard 93x
Posted Image Anser 20* Aldila Rogue Black 110MSI 105h Tour-X || Posted Image V-Steel 21* Project X Rifle Satin 6.5
Posted Image MP-H4 3i 21* Project X PXi 7.0
Posted Image MP-H4 4i 24* Project X PXi 7.0

Posted Image MP-59 4i-PW 27*- 48* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Posted Image Mild Raw 8620 54* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Posted Image  SM6 58* Oil Can Low Bounce K-Grind
Brunswick Precision FCM 7.3 SSx1
Posted Image Special 62* Black Oxide V-Grind Brunswick Precision FCM 7.3 SSx2
Posted Image Santa Fe Bullseye shaft

2

#3 Stuart G.

Stuart G.

    Legend

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,231 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 174728
  • Joined: 04/12/2012
  • Location:New Hampshire
GolfWRX Likes : 6338

Posted 13 June 2018 - 03:17 AM

Did the fitter actually build the clubs for you - or were they ordered from one of the OEM factoriies with the specs you were fitted to?

3

#4 PoeKingShankspeare

PoeKingShankspeare

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 85508
  • Joined: 06/14/2009
GolfWRX Likes : 33

Posted 13 June 2018 - 10:14 AM

View PostStuart G., on 13 June 2018 - 03:17 AM, said:

Did the fitter actually build the clubs for you - or were they ordered from one of the OEM factoriies with the specs you were fitted to?

The manufacture got my specs and were ordered from them.

4

#5 vinprun71

vinprun71

    Newbie

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 482414
  • Joined: 09/21/2017
  • Location:Connecticut
GolfWRX Likes : 10

Posted 13 June 2018 - 10:24 AM

That's probably where your problem is. A lot of manufacturers bend the clubs to the specs you're asking for, but you may find a club or two could be off. I ordered my irons and wedges all standard and had my fitter/builder check the lies to ensure standard then flatten them a degree. Two of the clubs were off from the spec sheet. He got them to standard and then flattened the additional degree. This is pretty common from what he was saying to me. Hence why he ships the clubs directly to his store rather than to your door.

TL;DR: Bring the 7i back to your fitter and have him check the lie against the spec sheet. Have him confirm you're one degree up from the sheet after he confirms what the club is sitting at.

Edited by vinprun71, 13 June 2018 - 10:26 AM.

TaylorMade R15 460cc (10.5)
Callaway FT 3 Wood (15)
Ping G2 5 Wood (18)

Mizuno JPX-900 Forged 4-GW
Titleist Vokey SM7 56-F
Titleist Vokey SM7 60-S
Odyssey White Hot RX #7

5

#6 Stuart G.

Stuart G.

    Legend

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,231 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 174728
  • Joined: 04/12/2012
  • Location:New Hampshire
GolfWRX Likes : 6338

Posted 13 June 2018 - 10:56 AM

View Postvinprun71, on 13 June 2018 - 10:24 AM, said:

That's probably where your problem is. A lot of manufacturers bend the clubs to the specs you're asking for, but you may find a club or two could be off. I ordered my irons and wedges all standard and had my fitter/builder check the lies to ensure standard then flatten them a degree. Two of the clubs were off from the spec sheet. He got them to standard and then flattened the additional degree. This is pretty common from what he was saying to me. Hence why he ships the clubs directly to his store rather than to your door.

TL;DR: Bring the 7i back to your fitter and have him check the lie against the spec sheet. Have him confirm you're one degree up from the sheet after he confirms what the club is sitting at.

Agree.  Except I'd bring all the clubs in to be checked for loft, lie, and swing weight.   Even if the fitter charged a nominal fee for that extensive a check.

6

#7 PoeKingShankspeare

PoeKingShankspeare

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 85508
  • Joined: 06/14/2009
GolfWRX Likes : 33

Posted 13 June 2018 - 11:22 AM

Club were shipped to the shop. When I got there, I asked if he can check the static lie angle and he said no need they are good, "came from the manu." Because of what he said, it was kind of a turn off. Just do what the customer wants right away. It could of been correct, but just do what the customer ask if it's something simple as that.  I don't want to go back have them to check/adjust the club if it needs to be, I to will pay the few bucks or have a friend check the lie angle. .

Anyway, I"m not coming back to drop another $$$ big cash for new driver. I'll go to another club fitter.

7

#8 SilverBullets

SilverBullets

    BMW

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,838 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 139485
  • Joined: 09/19/2011
  • Location:Phoenix, Az
  • Handicap:4
GolfWRX Likes : 2495

Posted 13 June 2018 - 11:24 AM

View Postvinprun71, on 13 June 2018 - 10:24 AM, said:

That's probably where your problem is. A lot of manufacturers bend the clubs to the specs you're asking for, but you may find a club or two could be off. I ordered my irons and wedges all standard and had my fitter/builder check the lies to ensure standard then flatten them a degree. Two of the clubs were off from the spec sheet. He got them to standard and then flattened the additional degree. This is pretty common from what he was saying to me. Hence why he ships the clubs directly to his store rather than to your door.

TL;DR: Bring the 7i back to your fitter and have him check the lie against the spec sheet. Have him confirm you're one degree up from the sheet after he confirms what the club is sitting at.

that what my fitter does at well.  Orders everything standard then does the work.  He also swing weighted everything.  Wasn't a cheap process but they did great work.
Taylormade '17 M2 9.5* - Rogue Silver 70 X
Taylormade '16 M2 15*
Titleist 816h 21*
Callaway Apex 4i thru PW - Nippon Modus 125 Tour X
Vokey SM6 50*, 54*, 58*
Scotty Cameron Circa 62 No. 2 - Scotty Custom Shop

8

#9 Ben Martinez

Ben Martinez

    Bird is the word

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 114796
  • Joined: 09/12/2010
  • Location:East Coast
  • Handicap:3
GolfWRX Likes : 32

Posted 13 June 2018 - 01:02 PM

View PostPoeKingShankspeare, on 13 June 2018 - 11:22 AM, said:

Club were shipped to the shop. When I got there, I asked if he can check the static lie angle and he said no need they are good, "came from the manu." Because of what he said, it was kind of a turn off. Just do what the customer wants right away. It could of been correct, but just do what the customer ask if it's something simple as that.  I don't want to go back have them to check/adjust the club if it needs to be, I to will pay the few bucks or have a friend check the lie angle. .

Anyway, I"m not coming back to drop another $$$ big cash for new driver. I'll go to another club fitter.
agreed, he should have been checked it with no issues.....hope you find a new one soon!

9

#10 North Butte

North Butte

    Hall of Fame

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,411 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 424472
  • Joined: 05/09/2016
GolfWRX Likes : 6577

Posted 13 June 2018 - 01:12 PM

I'm not clear on why you think that club's lie angle is off spec. Missing "every" shot by "10-15 yards" is almost certainly not caused by a one degree or even a two or three degree out-of-spec lie on a 7-iron.

Also, to make sure I understand, you got something like a 7, 8, 9, PW set of irons and you (presumably) use hybrids for everything longer than 7-iron? Was that your former bag setup as well?

It strikes me that you're failing to square the face and/or having path or contact problems on the longest of your irons but not on the shorter ones. Sounds to me one likely possibility is a swing flaw caused by the longest of those clubs, not a slight lie-angle misfit.

Everything has its drawbacks, as the man said when his mother-in-law died, and they came down upon him for the funeral expenses.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


10

#11 pinestreetgolf

pinestreetgolf

    Major Winner

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 3,016 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 435010
  • Joined: 08/02/2016
  • Location:Louisiana
  • Handicap:1.2
  • Ebay ID:butlerj_dickinson
GolfWRX Likes : 1844

Posted 13 June 2018 - 01:26 PM

View PostNorth Butte, on 13 June 2018 - 01:12 PM, said:

I'm not clear on why you think that club's lie angle is off spec. Missing "every" shot by "10-15 yards" is almost certainly not caused by a one degree or even a two or three degree out-of-spec lie on a 7-iron.

Also, to make sure I understand, you got something like a 7, 8, 9, PW set of irons and you (presumably) use hybrids for everything longer than 7-iron? Was that your former bag setup as well?

It strikes me that you're failing to square the face and/or having path or contact problems on the longest of your irons but not on the shorter ones. Sounds to me one likely possibility is a swing flaw caused by the longest of those clubs, not a slight lie-angle misfit.

Agreed.  There is no way its a lie angle issue.

When you drop your right shoulder in an attempt to scoop the ball into the air the face opens.  Do it in the air - the right shoulder falling opens the face.  A scoop move usually results in a block.  Since its your lowest lofted iron, its likely you don't trust it to get in the air if you hit it square.  Try hitting it with the swing thought of keeping your right shoulder high - don't let it drop in an effort to help the ball up.  Your R shoulder shouldn't fall below where it is at address in any point in the swing.
Two Drivers: 910D2 9.5* +.5", Nike Lucky 13* -2" Pro Launch Red x
Wood: Adams Tight Lies 2 16* Aldila DVS 60x

Driving Iron: Apex CF16 3 Iron 21* s300
Irons: Bridgestone j40 DPC 4-PW s300

Wedges: Vokey SM6 50.08 F Grind & 55.09 M Grind s300
Putter: Nike Method B1|07

11

#12 *T*

*T*

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 278279
  • Joined: 09/28/2013
  • Location:California
  • Handicap:2
  • Ebay ID:Dreamz2Reality
GolfWRX Likes : 31

Posted 13 June 2018 - 08:30 PM

Unless they are coming from Mizuno, have the loft/lie checked for sure. Mizuno is absolutely legit when placing an order for loft/lie/swingweight etc.  You get what you pay for with them, and typically their orders take longer to fulfill.

If it is just the 7 iron, it should be an easy fix.  Also make sure the shaft length and grip are consistent with the rest.  Sometimes the grip being off even just slightly can cause inproper hand placement causing a grip that could be too strong or too weak or cause you to open or close the clubface.  Just something to think about
*T*

12

#13 Swisstrader98

Swisstrader98

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,508 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 170802
  • Joined: 03/23/2012
GolfWRX Likes : 918

Posted 13 June 2018 - 08:35 PM

Sounds like itís in your head. Willing to bet that the lie angle is fine.

13

#14 tets

tets

    Rookie

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 33461
  • Joined: 07/01/2007
  • Ebay ID:tetsler
GolfWRX Likes : 8

Posted 13 June 2018 - 08:37 PM

View Post*T*, on 13 June 2018 - 08:30 PM, said:

Unless they are coming from Mizuno, have the loft/lie checked for sure. Mizuno is absolutely legit when placing an order for loft/lie/swingweight etc.  You get what you pay for with them, and typically their orders take longer to fulfill.

If it is just the 7 iron, it should be an easy fix.  Also make sure the shaft length and grip are consistent with the rest.  Sometimes the grip being off even just slightly can cause inproper hand placement causing a grip that could be too strong or too weak or cause you to open or close the clubface.  Just something to think about
I disagree on Mizuno taking longer.  I went to my fitter last Wednesday around 3 pm ... clubs were in my hand from Mizuno Monday in the am... very fast

14

#15 EKELLY

EKELLY

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,544 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 405114
  • Joined: 12/08/2015
  • Location:Tampa, FL
  • Handicap:+2
  • Ebay ID:edwardkellyed
GolfWRX Likes : 1369

Posted 13 June 2018 - 08:40 PM

View PostPoeKingShankspeare, on 13 June 2018 - 10:14 AM, said:

View PostStuart G., on 13 June 2018 - 03:17 AM, said:

Did the fitter actually build the clubs for you - or were they ordered from one of the OEM factoriies with the specs you were fitted to?

The manufacture got my specs and were ordered from them.
Please don't tell me you placed 100% faith in the manufacturer? If you did, don't ever do it again!.....LOL


15

#16 PoeKingShankspeare

PoeKingShankspeare

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 85508
  • Joined: 06/14/2009
GolfWRX Likes : 33

Posted 13 June 2018 - 11:53 PM

I'm pretty sure it's a swing flaw like I've mentioned earlier, but my old TM 7 iron is just fine. I assumed it may be the lie angle because my old iron were fitted with 2* up 1* up and standard depending if it was a 3 irons, mid iron, and wedge. That's how I was fitted a decade ago, with each club. I also have a 7i XR in the garage which I'm okay with, and a tour striker 7 iron which I want to use at the course. Great training aid and iron.

My right miss lands on the same dry spot of grass/dirt right of the 150 mark. I'll change target and I'll miss right of that again. I've used the 8i or the 6 hybrid after missing the the 7 iron. Very different result. Thus, the reason I'm a bit perplexed. Again, it's probably a swing fault.

I went to the range today during my lunch break and the miss was 5 yards right. I'm not r/o a swing flaw with that one club. I had h/o one iron issue in the past. I couldn't hit my 5 iron, but I was good with 2, 3, and 4 irons.

I currently have hybrids 4,5,6 that were fitted and these clubs I have confidence with since they are so easy to hit.


With the shop. I didn't know they sent my specs to the manu to have them do the build. I assumed they did it there cause of the large shop with a Mitchell and other tools. But it's a mistake learned. It was an expensive lesson lol. But there is a good club fitter who I should of went to on the first place, but I gave this franchise a chance.

Edited by PoeKingShankspeare, 13 June 2018 - 11:54 PM.


16

#17 pinestreetgolf

pinestreetgolf

    Major Winner

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 3,016 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 435010
  • Joined: 08/02/2016
  • Location:Louisiana
  • Handicap:1.2
  • Ebay ID:butlerj_dickinson
GolfWRX Likes : 1844

Posted 14 June 2018 - 07:33 AM

View PostPoeKingShankspeare, on 13 June 2018 - 11:53 PM, said:

I'm pretty sure it's a swing flaw like I've mentioned earlier, but my old TM 7 iron is just fine. I assumed it may be the lie angle because my old iron were fitted with 2* up 1* up and standard depending if it was a 3 irons, mid iron, and wedge. That's how I was fitted a decade ago, with each club. I also have a 7i XR in the garage which I'm okay with, and a tour striker 7 iron which I want to use at the course. Great training aid and iron.

My right miss lands on the same dry spot of grass/dirt right of the 150 mark. I'll change target and I'll miss right of that again. I've used the 8i or the 6 hybrid after missing the the 7 iron. Very different result. Thus, the reason I'm a bit perplexed. Again, it's probably a swing fault.

I went to the range today during my lunch break and the miss was 5 yards right. I'm not r/o a swing flaw with that one club. I had h/o one iron issue in the past. I couldn't hit my 5 iron, but I was good with 2, 3, and 4 irons.

I currently have hybrids 4,5,6 that were fitted and these clubs I have confidence with since they are so easy to hit.


With the shop. I didn't know they sent my specs to the manu to have them do the build. I assumed they did it there cause of the large shop with a Mitchell and other tools. But it's a mistake learned. It was an expensive lesson lol. But there is a good club fitter who I should of went to on the first place, but I gave this franchise a chance.

Also check your alignment.  The two most important things in a golf swing are ball position and alignment.  If your hips or shoulders are open so is the face.  A lot of players look up at the target by opening their body, which opens their alignment, which results in right misses.  Next time you set up make sure you are aligned parallel to your target and then look at it like you are pouring sand out of your right ear (just swivel your head) don't open up to look.  Remember, you are "square" at address - you are just returning there.  If you are open the face won't close (assuming its pointing at your target at address).  The face is pointed right.  If your body is pointing left and the face is pointed at the target the face is, by definition, pointing right of your body line.  When you come to impact with a square body your face is open (by however much it had to be to be pointed at the target when you were open at address).

In my experience, club builds really matter for distance and contact but not at all for face and path.  Missing right usually isn't a fitting issue.  Please note "usually".  Without a video of your swing its impossible to know.  But two things cause a block - one is a scoop move that still hits the ball (weak push) and the other is hips or shoulders aimed left at address where the golfer then squares them at impact (which means the face is right).

Edited by pinestreetgolf, 14 June 2018 - 07:36 AM.

Two Drivers: 910D2 9.5* +.5", Nike Lucky 13* -2" Pro Launch Red x
Wood: Adams Tight Lies 2 16* Aldila DVS 60x

Driving Iron: Apex CF16 3 Iron 21* s300
Irons: Bridgestone j40 DPC 4-PW s300

Wedges: Vokey SM6 50.08 F Grind & 55.09 M Grind s300
Putter: Nike Method B1|07

17

#18 PoeKingShankspeare

PoeKingShankspeare

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 85508
  • Joined: 06/14/2009
GolfWRX Likes : 33

Posted 14 June 2018 - 11:09 AM

View Postpinestreetgolf, on 14 June 2018 - 07:33 AM, said:

View PostPoeKingShankspeare, on 13 June 2018 - 11:53 PM, said:

I'm pretty sure it's a swing flaw like I've mentioned earlier, but my old TM 7 iron is just fine. I assumed it may be the lie angle because my old iron were fitted with 2* up 1* up and standard depending if it was a 3 irons, mid iron, and wedge. That's how I was fitted a decade ago, with each club. I also have a 7i XR in the garage which I'm okay with, and a tour striker 7 iron which I want to use at the course. Great training aid and iron.

My right miss lands on the same dry spot of grass/dirt right of the 150 mark. I'll change target and I'll miss right of that again. I've used the 8i or the 6 hybrid after missing the the 7 iron. Very different result. Thus, the reason I'm a bit perplexed. Again, it's probably a swing fault.

I went to the range today during my lunch break and the miss was 5 yards right. I'm not r/o a swing flaw with that one club. I had h/o one iron issue in the past. I couldn't hit my 5 iron, but I was good with 2, 3, and 4 irons.

I currently have hybrids 4,5,6 that were fitted and these clubs I have confidence with since they are so easy to hit.


With the shop. I didn't know they sent my specs to the manu to have them do the build. I assumed they did it there cause of the large shop with a Mitchell and other tools. But it's a mistake learned. It was an expensive lesson lol. But there is a good club fitter who I should of went to on the first place, but I gave this franchise a chance.

Also check your alignment.  The two most important things in a golf swing are ball position and alignment.  If your hips or shoulders are open so is the face.  A lot of players look up at the target by opening their body, which opens their alignment, which results in right misses.  Next time you set up make sure you are aligned parallel to your target and then look at it like you are pouring sand out of your right ear (just swivel your head) don't open up to look.  Remember, you are "square" at address - you are just returning there.  If you are open the face won't close (assuming its pointing at your target at address).  The face is pointed right.  If your body is pointing left and the face is pointed at the target the face is, by definition, pointing right of your body line.  When you come to impact with a square body your face is open (by however much it had to be to be pointed at the target when you were open at address).

In my experience, club builds really matter for distance and contact but not at all for face and path.  Missing right usually isn't a fitting issue.  Please note "usually".  Without a video of your swing its impossible to know.  But two things cause a block - one is a scoop move that still hits the ball (weak push) and the other is hips or shoulders aimed left at address where the golfer then squares them at impact (which means the face is right).

Thanks for the reply. I do have problems lining myself for a shot between 150 and 200, often in these distances.

I don't have a current video with my new Callaway irons and post lessons with a pro. But I do have two older videos from earlier this year - it's been half a year since my return to golf after almost a decade away and 40 lbs. heavier. lol Both videos are with my R7 7 iron.

https://www.youtube....h?v=Owpzc7Odaac

https://www.youtube....h?v=OXiEOL3ukNo

18

#19 North Butte

North Butte

    Hall of Fame

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,411 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 424472
  • Joined: 05/09/2016
GolfWRX Likes : 6577

Posted 14 June 2018 - 11:16 AM

If I could consistently land my 7-iron pin high and 5 yards right shot after shot it would be the best club in my bag!
Everything has its drawbacks, as the man said when his mother-in-law died, and they came down upon him for the funeral expenses.

19

#20 PoeKingShankspeare

PoeKingShankspeare

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 85508
  • Joined: 06/14/2009
GolfWRX Likes : 33

Posted 14 June 2018 - 11:20 AM

View PostNorth Butte, on 14 June 2018 - 11:16 AM, said:

If I could consistently land my 7-iron pin high and 5 yards right shot after shot it would be the best club in my bag!

I failed to mention, I was closed and aimed to the left of the target. But if that's my shot, I'll keep it. lol

Edited by PoeKingShankspeare, 14 June 2018 - 11:21 AM.


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

20

#21 pinestreetgolf

pinestreetgolf

    Major Winner

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 3,016 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 435010
  • Joined: 08/02/2016
  • Location:Louisiana
  • Handicap:1.2
  • Ebay ID:butlerj_dickinson
GolfWRX Likes : 1844

Posted 14 June 2018 - 12:24 PM

View PostPoeKingShankspeare, on 14 June 2018 - 11:09 AM, said:

View Postpinestreetgolf, on 14 June 2018 - 07:33 AM, said:

View PostPoeKingShankspeare, on 13 June 2018 - 11:53 PM, said:

I'm pretty sure it's a swing flaw like I've mentioned earlier, but my old TM 7 iron is just fine. I assumed it may be the lie angle because my old iron were fitted with 2* up 1* up and standard depending if it was a 3 irons, mid iron, and wedge. That's how I was fitted a decade ago, with each club. I also have a 7i XR in the garage which I'm okay with, and a tour striker 7 iron which I want to use at the course. Great training aid and iron.

My right miss lands on the same dry spot of grass/dirt right of the 150 mark. I'll change target and I'll miss right of that again. I've used the 8i or the 6 hybrid after missing the the 7 iron. Very different result. Thus, the reason I'm a bit perplexed. Again, it's probably a swing fault.

I went to the range today during my lunch break and the miss was 5 yards right. I'm not r/o a swing flaw with that one club. I had h/o one iron issue in the past. I couldn't hit my 5 iron, but I was good with 2, 3, and 4 irons.

I currently have hybrids 4,5,6 that were fitted and these clubs I have confidence with since they are so easy to hit.


With the shop. I didn't know they sent my specs to the manu to have them do the build. I assumed they did it there cause of the large shop with a Mitchell and other tools. But it's a mistake learned. It was an expensive lesson lol. But there is a good club fitter who I should of went to on the first place, but I gave this franchise a chance.

Also check your alignment.  The two most important things in a golf swing are ball position and alignment.  If your hips or shoulders are open so is the face.  A lot of players look up at the target by opening their body, which opens their alignment, which results in right misses.  Next time you set up make sure you are aligned parallel to your target and then look at it like you are pouring sand out of your right ear (just swivel your head) don't open up to look.  Remember, you are "square" at address - you are just returning there.  If you are open the face won't close (assuming its pointing at your target at address).  The face is pointed right.  If your body is pointing left and the face is pointed at the target the face is, by definition, pointing right of your body line.  When you come to impact with a square body your face is open (by however much it had to be to be pointed at the target when you were open at address).

In my experience, club builds really matter for distance and contact but not at all for face and path.  Missing right usually isn't a fitting issue.  Please note "usually".  Without a video of your swing its impossible to know.  But two things cause a block - one is a scoop move that still hits the ball (weak push) and the other is hips or shoulders aimed left at address where the golfer then squares them at impact (which means the face is right).

Thanks for the reply. I do have problems lining myself for a shot between 150 and 200, often in these distances.

I don't have a current video with my new Callaway irons and post lessons with a pro. But I do have two older videos from earlier this year - it's been half a year since my return to golf after almost a decade away and 40 lbs. heavier. lol Both videos are with my R7 7 iron.

https://www.youtube....h?v=Owpzc7Odaac

https://www.youtube....h?v=OXiEOL3ukNo

Your swing is pretty good.  On plane.

I've attached four images that show where a block is coming from.  At the top of the backswing, look at your right arm and Scott's right arm.  He has way more leverage than you (its at a right angle).  Yours is tucked into your body.  This creates zero power, whereas Adam's elbow position allows him to explode down into the ball.  The only way you can generate power is by twisting.

backswing.png
scottbackswing.png

We see your twist in the second photo, just after impact.  Note the right ankle.  Adam's is rolling forward - his left side is pulling away from the target line *but his right side isn't going toward the ball* its going forward.  Your left side is clearing, but your right side is going closer to the ball - hence your right ankle coming off the ground straight up, not rolling toward the target - because you are stuck at the top, the only way for you to generate power is to spin, which opens the face.  Sometimes you can time it, sometimes you can't.

wrximpact.png
scottimpact.png

Think about slamming a screen door.  You slam a door alongside the door by bending your elbow and ripping with your left side - you would never slam a door by keeping your elbow tucked into your side and spinning your body around.

Get that right elbow up in the backswing and concentrate on no part of your body getting closer to the ball than it is at address.  The left side pulls, the elbows explode, the right side goes forward.  Only after impact does the right side start to twist to get to a front-facing finish position.  A right ankle off the ground pointed at the ball that soon after impact means you are spinning through the ball you're not hitting it.  The result is side-swipe and not compression.

Imagine pounding in a railroad spike with the head of the club.  You'd get leverage with your arms and pull with your left side.  You'd never tuck your right elbow and try to generate power by spinning your body in a circle if you were trying to hammer in a railroad spike, or chop wood.

This is just IMO.  But hitting with a tucked elbow and a spinning right side creates blocks OR if you try to save it, horrible pull hooks.

The video:

https://www.youtube....h?v=qK9TKuAb4Gg
Two Drivers: 910D2 9.5* +.5", Nike Lucky 13* -2" Pro Launch Red x
Wood: Adams Tight Lies 2 16* Aldila DVS 60x

Driving Iron: Apex CF16 3 Iron 21* s300
Irons: Bridgestone j40 DPC 4-PW s300

Wedges: Vokey SM6 50.08 F Grind & 55.09 M Grind s300
Putter: Nike Method B1|07

21

#22 PoeKingShankspeare

PoeKingShankspeare

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 85508
  • Joined: 06/14/2009
GolfWRX Likes : 33

Posted 14 June 2018 - 05:10 PM

Thanks for the great info.and detailed explanation. Def. I have a lot of work to do.

22



0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors