Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Anyone Else Do the Opposite of What They Want in Golf?

mental golf zen golf

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 FourTops

FourTops

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 944 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 500886
  • Handicap:5.7
GolfWRX Likes : 564

Posted 12 June 2018 - 07:51 PM

It's almost amazing sometimes that I can tell myself "Ok...rotate" thru  a shot"...then I'll do everything BUT rotate.  I might take 4 or 5 SMOOTH practice putting strokes, then the right hand goes berserk on the real putt.  I might think "Ok..take more sand on this short bunker shot...then blade it across the green.

WTF is going on?

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#2 Socrates

Socrates

How can it be so *&#% hard to make a shoulder turn?

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 8,489 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 60534
  • Handicap:4ish
GolfWRX Likes : 3571

Posted 12 June 2018 - 08:17 PM

The putting thing is the yips.

The other is likely a shot sequence thing.  Many people do too much thinking over top of the ball when the thinking is done a few feet behind the ball.  Once you step into the shot, you should be committed (I've been tested and I should be) to the shot.  When I start thinking over the ball, you often hit it really poorly.  At least I do.  Think - Practice swing - Step into it - Hit the ball.  When it goes Practice swing - Step into it - Think - Hit the ball bad things are going to happen.
Ping G400 9º TFC 419 Stiff at 45"
Jazz Bear Cat 3 wd Aerotech Stiff
Ping i20 3 Hyb 707H Stiff
X2 Hot 4_-PW Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
Vokey SM2 52º cc
Ping ES 56º and ES 60º
Scotty X7M Dual 38"
MCC Align Midsize

#3 Exactice808

Exactice808

Just want to hit ball far and go find it...

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,223 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 220751
  • Handicap:7-27
GolfWRX Likes : 3266

Posted 12 June 2018 - 08:18 PM

View PostFourTops, on 12 June 2018 - 07:51 PM, said:

It's almost amazing sometimes that I can tell myself "Ok...rotate" thru  a shot"...then I'll do everything BUT rotate.  I might take 4 or 5 SMOOTH practice putting strokes, then the right hand goes berserk on the real putt.  I might think "Ok..take more sand on this short bunker shot...then blade it across the green.

WTF is going on?

I recall someone telling me the brain remembers the last thing you thought.

What I mean is say OB is left, and in your head when you are at the tee box, you are saying DONT HIT LEFT, DONT HIT LEFT.... your brain though hears and thinks "left" guess where you go?  Yups left.

So that being said..... sometimes something like a swing thought you need to make sure you have engraved it into your body as well as just saying it.  what I mean is if you have a rotation issue. make sure you are doing 100's....1000's of reps on and off the course so the body knows and when you say Rotate, it will rotate.  The biggest thing is that if your body is NOT in repetition, no matter how much you say it your body goes BACK to what it remembers the lack of rotation.

I know for me... if I plan to implant a swing change, I will be at home doing X repetition over and over and then go to the range specifically to beat balls for that specific swing change, to un memorize the previous fault and to drill in the new movement.   Does NOT ever happen instantly NOR over night...might take days....weeks...months!
Titleist 915D3 Kuro Kage Silver 60X
TM M2v1 - Rip Phenom 60S tipped 1/2"
TM 18* M2 Rogue Silver 60 Stiff
Titleist 714 AP2's 4,5 NSPro 1150GH Stiff
Cobra AMP Cell Pro 6-PW PX 6.0 Rifles
Titleist SM5 Vokey50*/8*, 54*/10* & 58*/8* X100's
Scotty Cameron Newport Select 33"

#4 FourTops

FourTops

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 944 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2018 - 09:17 PM

View PostExactice808, on 12 June 2018 - 08:18 PM, said:

View PostFourTops, on 12 June 2018 - 07:51 PM, said:

WTF is going on?

I recall someone telling me the brain remembers the last thing you thought.

What I mean is say OB is left, and in your head when you are at the tee box, you are saying DONT HIT LEFT, DONT HIT LEFT.... your brain though hears and thinks "left" guess where you go?  Yups left.

So that being said..... sometimes something like a swing thought you need to make sure you have engraved it into your body as well as just saying it.  what I mean is if you have a rotation issue. make sure you are doing 100's....1000's of reps on and off the course so the body knows and when you say Rotate, it will rotate.  The biggest thing is that if your body is NOT in repetition, no matter how much you say it your body goes BACK to what it remembers the lack of rotation.

I know for me... if I plan to implant a swing change, I will be at home doing X repetition over and over and then go to the range specifically to beat balls for that specific swing change, to un memorize the previous fault and to drill in the new movement.   Does NOT ever happen instantly NOR over night...might take days....weeks...months!

So you're saying it's a "mixed message" that the body can't respond?  I think I get that.  I sometimes wonder how much tension builds (without me knowing it) when I try to think about a swing component...i.e....another muscle "gets in the way".

#5 gentles

gentles

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,360 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 18758
GolfWRX Likes : 261

Posted 13 June 2018 - 08:39 AM

Try taking your practice swings aiming at an object on the ground rather than an air swing. You might find that your practice swings with a nice rotation actually leave the clubface wide open where impact would be, meaning that when you try to hit a ball, your body subconsciously adjusts to square the club the only way it knows how (stop rotating, flip the hands).

With putting, a fun exercise is to close your eyes or look at your shoe when putting, and see if the same issues happen.

Taylormade 2016 M2 10.5 | Aldila Tour Blue 75x
Taylormade M2 DF Tour Issue 3HL* | Aldila Tour Blue 85x
Callaway Apex 18* | Aldila NVS 105x
Titleist 716 TMB 4 | DG AMT X100
Titleist 716 CB 5-9| DG AMT X100
Ping Glide 47/50/54/58 | DG S400
Ping Milled Anser 5

#6 FourTops

FourTops

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 944 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2018 - 07:23 PM

View Postgentles, on 13 June 2018 - 08:39 AM, said:

Try taking your practice swings aiming at an object on the ground rather than an air swing. You might find that your practice swings with a nice rotation actually leave the clubface wide open where impact would be, meaning that when you try to hit a ball, your body subconsciously adjusts to square the club the only way it knows how (stop rotating, flip the hands).

With putting, a fun exercise is to close your eyes or look at your shoe when putting, and see if the same issues happen.

Interesting...especially the looking at the shoe thought.

Also tagged with mental golf, zen golf

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors