Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Lateral bump in transition

48 replies to this topic

#1 Boomer3

Boomer3

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 477616
  • Handicap:5
GolfWRX Likes : 10

Posted 12 June 2018 - 02:01 PM

I'm confused by conflicting information I have seen about the lateral bump in transition. I'm wondering if there is a standard or "consensus" view that I should work from for my own swing.

I've seen some experts advocate a bump or shift right away to start the transition, around 3-5 inches. When I measure face on with various tour players this is what I usually see happening.

I've seen other experts say the right hip should stay right where it is in transition, with the left hip moving backwards, and the right hip should only move towards the target later in the downswing. I've seen some tour players (DJ, Fowler) who look like they do this somewhat, although I still see a small bump toward the target in transition from them as well.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#2 glk

glk

send it in jerome

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,911 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 336135
GolfWRX Likes : 4358

Posted 12 June 2018 - 02:17 PM

Great composite from Shaun webbb

https://www.instagra...y=shaunwebbgolf

#3 MonteScheinblum

MonteScheinblum

Rebellion Golf

• Sponsors
  • 17,638 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 94238
GolfWRX Likes : 10306

Posted 12 June 2018 - 02:17 PM

Not conflicting info there.  Sounds about right.

#4 NikeGolferTX

NikeGolferTX

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 188 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 475866
  • Handicap:?
GolfWRX Likes : 88

Posted 12 June 2018 - 02:29 PM

If you keep the lead hip low in transition, you won't need to actively try to bump forward. As you pivot you will naturally move laterally if you try to keep that lead hip low.

The problem with bumps is most people keep the torso behind. IMO it's just putting an shitload of weight and power into the left leg and heel that gives the illusion that it's a push off the back leg.

Edited by NikeGolferTX, 12 June 2018 - 02:34 PM.

#5 RichieHunt

RichieHunt

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,101 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 209355
GolfWRX Likes : 2418

Posted 12 June 2018 - 02:56 PM

View PostNikeGolferTX, on 12 June 2018 - 02:29 PM, said:

If you keep the lead hip low in transition, you won't need to actively try to bump forward. As you pivot you will naturally move laterally if you try to keep that lead hip low.

The problem with bumps is most people keep the torso behind. IMO it's just putting an shitload of weight and power into the left leg and heel that gives the illusion that it's a push off the back leg.

You have to keep the shoulder tilt from P4 in tact as you go into transition and shift.  You won't be able to keep your lead hip low if you lose your shoulder tilt.  Once the shoulder tilt is lost, the pelvic tilt changes and the lead hip loses flexion and thus the pelvis will now stall and the CoP will not transfer enough to the lead foot.  If you lose that shoulder tilt too early...you're cooked.

RH

#6 Kuchhhhhh

Kuchhhhhh

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,934 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 374835
  • Handicap:0
GolfWRX Likes : 912

Posted 12 June 2018 - 03:25 PM

View PostRichieHunt, on 12 June 2018 - 02:56 PM, said:

You have to keep the shoulder tilt from P4 in tact as you go into transition and shift.  You won't be able to keep your lead hip low if you lose your shoulder tilt.  Once the shoulder tilt is lost, the pelvic tilt changes and the lead hip loses flexion and thus the pelvis will now stall and the CoP will not transfer enough to the lead foot.  If you lose that shoulder tilt too early...you're cooked.

RH

Well said, tilts play a huge role. My thought on the downswing is down around and push. The down portion means keeping tilts and around is rotating then push is extending.
Taylormade M4 10.5 Atmos X stiff
Taylormade M4 16.5 Proforce V2
Taylormade TP UDI 3 iron X100
Titleist 716 T-MB 4 iron, 716 AP2 5-PW X100
Titleist SM6 50, 54, 60 S300
Taylormade Spider Red

#7 NikeGolferTX

NikeGolferTX

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 188 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 475866
  • Handicap:?
GolfWRX Likes : 88

Posted 12 June 2018 - 03:33 PM

View PostRichieHunt, on 12 June 2018 - 02:56 PM, said:

RH

#8 RichieHunt

RichieHunt

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,101 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 209355
GolfWRX Likes : 2418

Posted 12 June 2018 - 03:38 PM

View PostKuchhhhhh, on 12 June 2018 - 03:25 PM, said:

Well said, tilts play a huge role. My thought on the downswing is down around and push. The down portion means keeping tilts and around is rotating then push is extending.

My main thought is to essentially try and 'keep' the upper body tilt from p4 and make the moves to shift the CoP forward.  Then as I start to rotate with the lower body (and the upper body will rotate as well), I'm trying to keep my hands away from my body.  Then as I continue to rotate, I'm trying to sustain that upper body tilt by keeping the left shoulder as low as I can.

The big move in this...as you shift the CoP, you want to shift it to the *outer* edge of the left foot.  If you shift it to the ball of your left food, it's too easy to push off the ball of your left foot and tilt yourself backwards.

I think this photo of DJ shows this:

dj.png

But a way you can see the impact that the shoulder tilts have is to go to p4 with a club and try to sustain your lower body tilts while you drop the arms down.  Your shoulders lose their tilt and eventually the right shoulder becomes level with the left shoulder.  But at the same time, your pelvis loses its tilt and the left hip loses flexion.  

This is why you don't want to pull down with the arms too soon.  It changes the shoulder tilts which will change the pelvic tilt.  And that affects your CoP among other things.

RH

#9 royourboat

royourboat

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 439 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 85293
GolfWRX Likes : 139

Posted 12 June 2018 - 04:28 PM

/me starts frothing..
I like to tee the ball up.. using man sized clubs.

View PostMonteScheinblum, on 09 June 2017 - 12:16 AM, said:

View Postmothman65, on 09 June 2017 - 12:09 AM, said:

Is Melbourne getting any closer to happening Momte?

Still need some more, but it's pretty likely I'll come.  Just don't know when yet.

#10 WILDTHING

WILDTHING

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 477 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 457380
  • Handicap:15
GolfWRX Likes : 87

Posted 12 June 2018 - 05:30 PM

Shawn Clements says that the bump or lateral move happens in the backswing. The rear hip moves back and slightly towards the target, then stays there as your lead hip rotates back to the tush line. Hey presto , you have now moved laterally while rotating your pelvis.

See video below

Thought I'd add the 2nd follow-up video too as its a good one.

Edited by WILDTHING, 12 June 2018 - 05:39 PM.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#11 FatReed

FatReed

FatReed

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 598 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 345469
GolfWRX Likes : 200

Posted 12 June 2018 - 07:57 PM

WT

What Clement does is what most golfers do - he has a massive ‘backshift.’ In other words, the sacrum slides out from under the bodies COM. Even though Clement - and majority of tour players - are proficient golfers, they are far from optimally efficient.

Regarding the insufficient, the backshift is just another death move. The fallacy is that translation must occur prior to, or independent of rotation. All this ‘hip bump,’ ‘zipper away,’ etc. stuff that is endlessly propagated and absolute crap.

TRANSLATION AND ROTATION OCCUR TOGETHER IF YOU DO NOT BACKSHIFT. Stated differently, both occur automatically IF YOU KEEP SACRUM UNDER BODY’S COM. . . and don’t give up the pressure.

This guy is a genius and phenomenal golfer. Watch closely. With regard to comments pertaining to Austin, he employed what Frozen Divots refers to as a ‘crane pivot.’ Not as good (efficient) as what Frozen Divots describes, but a hell of a lot better than backshifting.

EDIT: P.S. Incase anyone is wondering if this is something I ‘focus’ on during my swing, the answer is absolutely not.

Although, I will be completely honest in stating I thought about it a lot, and was not doing it properly. I was a backshifter.

The answer, or key to doing it properly - to not backshifting - is in the set up!!!

I never said golf is easy. . .

Edited by FatReed, 12 June 2018 - 08:22 PM.

#12 Ghost of Snead

Ghost of Snead

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,534 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 257314
GolfWRX Likes : 1519

Posted 12 June 2018 - 09:21 PM

View PostFatReed, on 12 June 2018 - 07:57 PM, said:

WT

What Clement does is what most golfers do - he has a massive 'backshift.' In other words, the sacrum slides out from under the bodies COM. Even though Clement - and majority of tour players - are proficient golfers, they are far from optimally efficient.

Says who ?
Taylormade 2016 M2 10.5* - Blue Tensei CK 70X
Taylormade SLDR Mini 14* - Fujikura Motore Speeder 77X
Callaway Apex UT 18° - Project X 6.5
Callaway Tour Authentic X-Prototype 3-PW - Project X 6.5

Vokey SM7 Raw 52.08F

Vokey V-Grind 58.10
Directed Force Reno 2.1

#13 FatReed

FatReed

FatReed

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 598 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2018 - 09:27 PM

Ghost

You are going to have to do some digging on your own. . . I’m getting tired of spoon feeding you.

FR

Edit: Grammar correction

Edited by FatReed, 13 June 2018 - 08:55 AM.

#14 Ghost of Snead

Ghost of Snead

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,534 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 257314
GolfWRX Likes : 1519

Posted 12 June 2018 - 09:35 PM

View PostFatReed, on 12 June 2018 - 09:27 PM, said:

Ghost

You are going to have to some digging on your own. . . I'm getting tired of spoon feeding you.

FR

No thanks - SITD was shut down months ago and the refugees staggered over to ABS. Too many "geniuses" over there ...
Taylormade 2016 M2 10.5* - Blue Tensei CK 70X
Taylormade SLDR Mini 14* - Fujikura Motore Speeder 77X
Callaway Apex UT 18° - Project X 6.5
Callaway Tour Authentic X-Prototype 3-PW - Project X 6.5

Vokey SM7 Raw 52.08F

Vokey V-Grind 58.10
Directed Force Reno 2.1

#15 baudi

baudi

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 461 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 27886
GolfWRX Likes : 155

Posted 13 June 2018 - 06:06 AM

Very Interesting topic, underrated issue.
Read it alongside this topic:  don't bump
http://www.golfwrx.c...__ gankas bump

#16 WILDTHING

WILDTHING

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 477 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 457380
  • Handicap:15
GolfWRX Likes : 87

Posted 13 June 2018 - 06:57 AM

I don't actually think about the biomechanics of my pivot when I swing perpetually in balance without strain. But when I look for the finer details of how the pelvis rotates in the golf swing (ie. what muscles and joints are being used through the different stages of the swing ), the best I've seen so far is Jeff Mann's analysis below. I've read the whole thing a few times and also seen the video but its very complicated , especially if you are not acquainted with human anatomy.

http://perfectgolfsw...icrotation.html

What I do know after reading the above several times is there is no way my inflexible body can do what most pros do, so I let my body find its own best way. I particularly like the way he provided an explanation for the 'Stack and Tilt'  butt and tuck move

Edited by WILDTHING, 13 June 2018 - 07:00 AM.

#17 FatReed

FatReed

FatReed

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 598 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2018 - 08:54 AM

WT

We are all capable of proficiency given proper focus. As with any endeavor in life, however, the degree of proficiency attained/attainable varies among humans. . . toward this end, I would point out that there are many thousands of proficient golf swings in the world, but only few hundred tour-level (elite) GOLFERS. Ultimately, proficiency in golf is not defined by one’s golf swing, rather, one’s ability to get the ball in the hole.

All healthy humans are capable of proper focus and execution of a proficient golf swing. As you suggest, focus on biomechanics - of the golf swing (motion) - is not the proper focus. Toward this end, there is nothing but diminishing returns for you, or anyone, to try and swing like someone else. . . your body will naturally find ITS most proficient motion with proper focus.

My original comments stepped a bit into yours and Jeff’s realm of academic/observational interests regarding the golf swing. Namely, that here is a difference between proficiency and efficiency. The backshift that Clement and majority of golfers employ can be associated with proficiency, but is not most efficient.

I might have failed in my prior post to properly convey that, as with the path to proficient, the path to most efficient is not through golf swing (motion) focus. Rather - and in particular regard to ‘pivot’ - through set up. If you put your body in proper position from the start, it will find its way if you maintain proper focus.

The human body has evolved to seek and maintain balance.

“Human beings stand upright and move through a world subject to the laws of gravity. Their spines are subject to all of the constraints associated with this situation. The relationship between the pelvis and spine is a direct result of this bipedalism. . . the body’s line of gravity is situated very slightly behind the femoral heads laterally, and frontally it runs through the middle of the sacrum at a point [COM] equidistant from the two femoral heads.” (Le Huec, et al.)

In other words, the body seeks balance by maintaining a ‘line of gravity,’ equating to keeping the spine aligned over the body’s COM. Backshifting that is seen in most golfers, produces a balanced imbalance and, accordingly, inefficiency. Why? Too much wasted energy and effort directed at reestablishing in line balance. What do golfers do when they early extend? They are moving from a backshift directly to alignment. Think about that!

If you set up in a manner that encourages maintenance of the body’s line of gravity, you don’t have to think about it; your body WANTS to maintain balance. Backshifting is a state of balanced imbalance; nonetheless, imbalance.

Frozen Divots describes very nicely the process of maintaining line of gravity (alignment). He does it by focusing on keeping the sacrum under the body’s COM. Set up it key to maintaining this alignment . . . naturally.

#18 glk

glk

send it in jerome

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,911 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 336135
GolfWRX Likes : 4358

Posted 13 June 2018 - 10:12 AM

Some may want to rethink what is happening with the com versus the cop during the swing - doesn’t include movement in the vertical plane in this video.
https://m.youtube.co...h?v=rFh_9PlN7Wk

Edited by glk, 13 June 2018 - 10:14 AM.

#19 Boomer3

Boomer3

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 477616
  • Handicap:5
GolfWRX Likes : 10

Posted 13 June 2018 - 10:27 AM

Some of the discussion here is way over my head! But thanks to all who posted, this did answer my question.

It seems the AMG guys show in the data that you should move laterally, and specific to my question, it should happen right away in the downswing. They say it should all occur before left arm parallel in the downswing. Keeping the right hip back without any lateral movement is not what they see from the best players. Here's another video I found from them:

https://www.youtube....h?v=N3bIl30rZ90

#20 FatReed

FatReed

FatReed

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 598 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2018 - 10:52 AM

View PostBoomer3, on 13 June 2018 - 10:27 AM, said:

Some of the discussion here is way over my head! But thanks to all who posted, this did answer my question.

It seems the AMG guys show in the data that you should move laterally, and specific to my question, it should happen right away in the downswing. They say it should all occur before left arm parallel in the downswing. Keeping the right hip back without any lateral movement is not what they see from the best players. Here's another video I found from them:

https://www.youtube....h?v=N3bIl30rZ90

Boomer

You can do it that way. Most golfers do - even most tour level players - some better than others.

To dilute down the discussion, that approach can be associated with proficiency, just not optimal efficiency.

Optimal efficiency is where rotation produces translation. That occurs when sacrum remains vertically aligned under body’s COM.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#21 jekato

jekato

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 504158
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 13 June 2018 - 12:56 PM

When do we stop bumping?

#22 sheldonjhacker

sheldonjhacker

Major Winner

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 3,350 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 87167
GolfWRX Likes : 1366

Posted 13 June 2018 - 12:58 PM

"Did we bump?...we may have bumped". Best,
Posted Image

#23 FourTops

FourTops

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 386 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 500886
  • Handicap:5.7
GolfWRX Likes : 176

Posted 13 June 2018 - 09:23 PM

Boomer3, on 12 June 2018 - 02:01 PM, said:

I'm confused by conflicting information I have seen about the lateral bump in transition. I'm wondering if there is a standard or "consensus" view that I should work from for my own swing.

I've seen some experts advocate a bump or shift right away to start the transition, around 3-5 inches. When I measure face on with various tour players this is what I usually see happening.

I've seen other experts say the right hip should stay right where it is in transition, with the left hip moving backwards, and the right hip should only move towards the target later in the downswing. I've seen some tour players (DJ, Fowler) who look like they do this somewhat, although I still see a small bump toward the target in transition from them as well.

Just IMO...but bumping 4-5 inches right?  Why?  Maybe an inch to rotate over your right knee...weight should load on inside of right foot.  Am I crazy?

#24 Llortamaisey

Llortamaisey

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,557 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 11574
GolfWRX Likes : 2238

Posted 13 June 2018 - 10:39 PM

FatReed, on 13 June 2018 - 10:52 AM, said:

Optimal efficiency is where rotation produces translation. That occurs when sacrum remains vertically aligned under body’s COM.

Did you watch the video? Using the 3D Gears software, the AMG guys see the pros keep their  upper body’s center over the center of the pelvis, which is where the sacrum is located, during the transition of the swing. In fact, they even see some pros get their upper body center ahead of the lower body center if anything. This doesn’t sound much different than what you are saying so if they are the same, how is your way optimal and there’s is not?

#25 FourTops

FourTops

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 386 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 500886
  • Handicap:5.7
GolfWRX Likes : 176

Posted 13 June 2018 - 10:58 PM

Anyone see Iron Byron sway right on the back swing?

#26 FatReed

FatReed

FatReed

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 598 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2018 - 07:09 AM

Llortamaisey, on 13 June 2018 - 10:39 PM, said:

FatReed, on 13 June 2018 - 10:52 AM, said:

Did you watch the video? Using the 3D Gears software, the AMG guys see the pros keep their  upper body’s center over the center of the pelvis, which is where the sacrum is located, during the transition of the swing. In fact, they even see some pros get their upper body center ahead of the lower body center if anything. This doesn’t sound much different than what you are saying so if they are the same, how is your way optimal and there’s is not?

They do describe a stacked, or in-line posture, e.g., level hips. However, they also still describe translation first (independent) of rotation. Optimal efficiency occurs when translation occurs as a result, or concurrently with rotation; not independent of one another. A ‘shift’ is not required when an in-line state is established and maintained.

I want to reiterate that there is a difference between proficient and efficient, both falling on a spectrum.

There is no way in h*ll I’m about to say tour-level players aren’t proficient, particularly a FedEx Cup winner. Of course they are!

What I am going to reiterate, however, is that there is a level of efficiency missing even at the tour level. In this particular instance, translation independent of rotation. Optimally, translation occurs concurrently with rotation; this minimizes ‘torque error’ that decays efficiency and accuracy . . . but I’m not going to go any further down that path. If anyone wants to dig further on their own, the golf swing is all about angular momentum chasing torque, and has been described extensively by Frozen Divots.

What I am also going to state is that none of this should be the focus during the golf swing. The pundits will reply, well, if you aren’t focused on it, how can you change or achieve it?

The answer to that question is the very point I have been trying get across for some time now. The human body seeks balance and proficiency/efficiency on its own. . . and will attain each individual’s ‘best’ (most proficient and efficient) if you have PROPER FOCUS. . . which is not on the golf swing (motion) itself.

As it pertains to this thread, regarding optimal efficiency of the ‘pivot,’ you must put your body in a position for success during set up, prior to execution of the golf swing. Will everyone achieve ‘optimal?’ Of course not, but proficiency is within every healthy humans reach.

FR

#27 iteachgolf

iteachgolf

Legend

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,452 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 14489
GolfWRX Likes : 6071

Posted 14 June 2018 - 08:48 AM

They absolutely do not want level hips in transition.  Quite the opposite actually.

#28 FatReed

FatReed

FatReed

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 598 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2018 - 08:56 AM

iteachgolf, on 14 June 2018 - 08:48 AM, said:

They absolutely do not want level hips in transition.  Quite the opposite actually.

Yes, I stand corrected.

#29 johnrobison

johnrobison

In endless pursuit of P6

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 651 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 63419
  • Handicap:6ish
GolfWRX Likes : 255

Posted 14 June 2018 - 10:24 AM

FatReed, on 14 June 2018 - 07:09 AM, said:

What I am going to reiterate, however, is that there is a level of efficiency missing even at the tour level.

The human body seeks balance and proficiency/efficiency on its own. . . and will attain each individual's 'best' (most proficient and efficient) if you have PROPER FOCUS. . . which is not on the golf swing (motion) itself.

So, I infer from this that tour players do not have proper focus. Is that what you believe?

#30 FatReed

FatReed

FatReed

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 598 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2018 - 10:52 AM

johnrobison, on 14 June 2018 - 10:24 AM, said:

FatReed, on 14 June 2018 - 07:09 AM, said:

What I am going to reiterate, however, is that there is a level of efficiency missing even at the tour level.

The human body seeks balance and proficiency/efficiency on its own. . . and will attain each individual's 'best' (most proficient and efficient) if you have PROPER FOCUS. . . which is not on the golf swing (motion) itself.

So, I infer from this that tour players do not have proper focus. Is that what you believe?

Do you think Jordan Spieth’s recent and relative difficulties over recent months is the result of a significant drop-off in his abilities? Or that his focus has changed? What about Lydia Ko? . . .

It’s all relative my friend; that’s the true answer to your question.

Tour players are incredibly proficient. . . most other golfers are not. The sooner the golfing masses stop comparing themselves to tour level golfers - tour level golf swings - the better. Certainly not the proper focus, or path to proficiency.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors