Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Left Arm Off The Chest

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 PJ1120

PJ1120

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 690 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 154487
GolfWRX Likes : 155

Posted 12 June 2018 - 11:11 AM

Monte's video explains why pinning your left arm to your chest doesn't make any sense....I get that. If the left arm flies off the chest in the downswing what is the right arm doing other than just keeping up and straitening? Is it adding any speed? I think Chuck Quinton at Rotary Golf says the right arm does nothing.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#2 juststeve

juststeve

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,462 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 154
GolfWRX Likes : 1736

Posted 12 June 2018 - 12:16 PM

I was taught to initiate the forward swing by swinging the club forward using both arms.  A result of this is the left arm comes off the chest as Monte suggests and the right are moves forward and down toward impact elbow first, also as Monte suggests.

Steve

#3 johnrobison

johnrobison

In endless pursuit of P6

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 694 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 63419
  • Handicap:6ish
GolfWRX Likes : 277

Posted 12 June 2018 - 01:08 PM

Isn't it more about what's getting most of your conscious attention? I know some pros who consciously straighten the right arm. I know others who consciously accelerate the left. I suppose there are many who consider both equally. Then there are the guys who probably aren't conscious of their arms at all. Perhaps I'm mistaken about it but it's always seemed to me that it's a matter of where your focus is, rather than any of them being correct.

#4 PJ1120

PJ1120

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 690 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2018 - 01:24 PM

Exactly John. I either want to swing the left arm or throw with the right. Hard to be focused on doing both. I play both ways.....some days one works better than the other.

#5 Atrayn

Atrayn

Major Winner

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 1,873 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 73203
GolfWRX Likes : 538

Posted 12 June 2018 - 01:32 PM

View Postjuststeve, on 12 June 2018 - 12:16 PM, said:

I was taught to initiate the forward swing by swinging the club forward using both arms.  A result of this is the left arm comes off the chest as Monte suggests and the right are moves forward and down toward impact elbow first, also as Monte suggests.

Steve

+1000

Forces a lot of really good stuff to happen that you don't have to think of.
Playing some of my best golf only thinking to lead a little with the Rt elbow.

Taylormade M2 9.5 (set at 10.5) w/ Diamana S+ Blueboard 60 S
Tour Edge Exotics XCG3 3W w/Fujikura Motore S
2009 Callaway Xforged 3i w/ KBS tour S
Cobra Amp Forged 4-GW w/ KBS tour S
Miura forged 54 & 58 wedges - w/ DG Tour issue S
Ping Cadence Rustler Traditional putter

#6 RichieHunt

RichieHunt

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,253 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 209355
GolfWRX Likes : 2632

Posted 12 June 2018 - 01:45 PM

Often times the right arm isn't straightening.  Instead it's folding and causing the left arm to fly off the chest.

I think the issue with the left arm pinning theory is that what golfers that look like they are pinning the left arm to the chest are actually shifting their body's CoM downward and forward and they are not losing their shoulder tilt.  That allows them to not fold the right arm and instead straighten the right arm which keeps the left arm more inside and give that 'pinning against the chest' appearance.

RH

#7 Gamble Gamble

Gamble Gamble

#TwistFaceExperience

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 2,688 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 198076
GolfWRX Likes : 2420

Posted 12 June 2018 - 01:58 PM

View PostRichieHunt, on 12 June 2018 - 01:45 PM, said:

Often times the right arm isn't straightening.  Instead it's folding and causing the left arm to fly off the chest.

I think the issue with the left arm pinning theory is that what golfers that look like they are pinning the left arm to the chest are actually shifting their body's CoM downward and forward and they are not losing their shoulder tilt.  That allows them to not fold the right arm and instead straighten the right arm which keeps the left arm more inside and give that 'pinning against the chest' appearance.

RH

I agree with Rich here.  I had an issue where i would move my CoM towards the target which would either lead to EE and early release.  Feeling like my right elbow is the engine of the swing really did wonders for my swing faults.  Feeling like my right elbow is going towards where my right hip will be forces me to pivot and maintain my front bend through impact.  This also helps me stay in sync when i do it correctly.
Taylormade M3 10* Tour AD-DI 7X
Taylormade M3 15* Tour AD-IZ 7X
Taylormade M4 19* Tour AD-DI 8X
Taylormade P790 4i Tour AD-DI 9X
Taylormade P790 5i-AW Modus 120
Titleist SM7 54S 60D DG S400 TI
Ping Cadence Ketsch Heavy Putter
Taylormade TP5/TP5X Number 26

M3 Taylormade Experience

#8 ferrispgm

ferrispgm

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,690 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 925
  • Handicap:0
GolfWRX Likes : 576

Posted 12 June 2018 - 03:00 PM

View PostRichieHunt, on 12 June 2018 - 01:45 PM, said:

RH

I see what you are saying...but couldn't this be a chicken or the egg type thing?  Fixing the left arm being pinned could alleviate the CoM moving forward or keeping the CoM from moving forward could allow the left arm to get off of the chest.   Could be different for each person.
Driver: Callaway Epic 9* w/ Graphite Design Tour AD M9003
FWY:  Taylormade Rocketballz Tp 14.5*
Hybrid:  Adams Idea Pro 18*
Irons: Srixon Z765 3-5 iron, z965 6-PW, Project X
54*: Titleist SM6 S grind black finish
58*: Cleveland CG14 1 dot
Putter: Taylormade Daytona Rossa with agsi.

#9 RichieHunt

RichieHunt

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,253 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 209355
GolfWRX Likes : 2632

Posted 12 June 2018 - 03:26 PM

View Postferrispgm, on 12 June 2018 - 03:00 PM, said:

I see what you are saying...but couldn't this be a chicken or the egg type thing?  Fixing the left arm being pinned could alleviate the CoM moving forward or keeping the CoM from moving forward could allow the left arm to get off of the chest.   Could be different for each person.

You want the CoM to go forward and lower.  Pinning the left arm against the chest is an illusion as to what the golfer is really doing.  They are essentially allowing their arm to unfold and as they rotate, the arms start to lag behind the pivot.  That causes the right shoulder to go into external rotation and the shaft pitches.  And as you rotate, eventually the left arm will blast off the chest at the right time.

If you don’t have your CoM lower and move forward, you’ll instead start to fold the arm to deliver the club head to the ball.  That will cause the left arm to come off the chest prematurely.

The trail arm is key.  But IMO, in order to get the trail arm to work properly you need to shift your CoM properly.

RH

#10 Hstead

Hstead

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,390 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 95600
GolfWRX Likes : 2795

Posted 12 June 2018 - 03:37 PM

In my experience, so in my swing, I can swing it two totally polar opposites.  I have been down the road of "arms do nothing" and the arms are way more behind my pivot, way more open at impact, and I have to consciously hold my arms back and feel like my right shoulder gets to the ball before the clubhead.  IE GG style.

My "other" swing, is to focus more on my arm speed, and actively and purposefully fire my arms as hard as I can from the top.  The two swings couldn't be more different and it is not just a "feel" thing.  The two swings are driven by different muscles.  They can both work.  Personally, I feel like one of my best attributes are my hands.  I use my hands, hand eye coordination, "feel", what have you better when I am firing my arms.  I have a harder time controlling the face when I try to take the arms out of the swing and use my pivot.

TaylorMade M3 9.5 Graphite Design BB 70X
Callaway Epic Subzero 15* Diamana D+
Titleist 818 H1
Honma 737P PX 6.5
Titleist TVD 56* and 60* V Grind S400
Directed Force
KSig4

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#11 MadGolfer76

MadGolfer76

Admiration is the state furthest from understanding.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,964 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 89700
GolfWRX Likes : 10125

Posted 12 June 2018 - 03:49 PM

Isn't a pinned arm partially a result of the lower body firing through too hard and the arms left behind? Wouldn't the lead arm be pinned at that point just from a lack of anywhere else to go?
Callaway Xr 16 Pro 9/PX Evenflow Black 60s
Callaway Xr 16 Pro 16/Fuji Speeder Ev. II 765s
Callaway Apex 20, 23/KK Black 80s
Mizuno Mp-54 5-Pw/DG s300
Mizuno T7 50, 54, 58/DG s300
Scotty Cameron Futura X7
Titleist ProV1

WITB

#12 ozarkshooter

ozarkshooter

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 346 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 58267
GolfWRX Likes : 168

Posted 12 June 2018 - 04:02 PM

View PostMadGolfer76, on 12 June 2018 - 03:49 PM, said:

Isn't a pinned arm partially a result of the lower body firing through too hard and the arms left behind? Wouldn't the lead arm be pinned at that point just from a lack of anywhere else to go?

Or possibly runoff from the right elbow collapsing too much on the backswing and you get stuck.

#13 ferrispgm

ferrispgm

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,690 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2018 - 04:30 PM

View PostRichieHunt, on 12 June 2018 - 03:26 PM, said:

View Postferrispgm, on 12 June 2018 - 03:00 PM, said:

You want the CoM to go forward and lower.  Pinning the left arm against the chest is an illusion as to what the golfer is really doing.  They are essentially allowing their arm to unfold and as they rotate, the arms start to lag behind the pivot.  That causes the right shoulder to go into external rotation and the shaft pitches.  And as you rotate, eventually the left arm will blast off the chest at the right time.

If you don’t have your CoM lower and move forward, you’ll instead start to fold the arm to deliver the club head to the ball.  That will cause the left arm to come off the chest prematurely.

The trail arm is key.  But IMO, in order to get the trail arm to work properly you need to shift your CoM properly.

RH

For whatever reason I was reading CoM as upper body/head moving towards the target......my bad.

#14 Golfbeat

Golfbeat

Swing Lessee

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,604 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 251408
  • Handicap:3.9
GolfWRX Likes : 779

Posted 12 June 2018 - 05:00 PM

Dana Dahlquist wants the left arm staying pinned to the body in the down swing. Waite /Mayo as well. Many ways to do it.
Attention-Deficit Hypergolfactivity Disorder

#15 PJ1120

PJ1120

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 690 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2018 - 05:02 PM

Richie......what do you mean by "folding" the arm?

#16 PJ1120

PJ1120

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 690 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2018 - 05:03 PM

Golfbeat.…..is that Dana's turning into the left arm?

#17 Golfbeat

Golfbeat

Swing Lessee

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,604 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 251408
  • Handicap:3.9
GolfWRX Likes : 779

Posted 12 June 2018 - 06:07 PM

View PostPJ1120, on 12 June 2018 - 05:03 PM, said:

He says that: Lead arm pressure stays against the chest into the downswing. He says that a good way to train this is to keep a glove in your left arm pit. He also wants the lead arm to stay up. He says that if you release the left arm (pressure point #4) that your body will stall and not turn through.  I assume that this is the difference between the body method versus the arms method. The interesting thing is that I have tried both methods and they both seems to work somehow.

Edited by Golfbeat, 13 June 2018 - 05:50 AM.

Attention-Deficit Hypergolfactivity Disorder

#18 ShutSteepStuck

ShutSteepStuck

Grinding like Briny Baird

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,315 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 182556
  • Handicap:1
GolfWRX Likes : 461

Posted 12 June 2018 - 06:27 PM

View PostGolfbeat, on 12 June 2018 - 06:07 PM, said:

He says that: Lead arm pressure stays against the chest into the downswing. He says that a good way to train this is to keep a glove in your left arm pit. He also wants the lead arm to stay up. He says that if you release the left arm (pressure point #4) that your body will stall and not turn through.  I assume that this is the difference between the body method versus the arms method. The interesting thing is that I have tried both methods and they both seems to work somehow. Kuchhhh apparently had a similar experience.

Just a few questions...why, generally, will the body stall if you release PP #4 too soon? How soon is too soon, e.g. before p5ish...? How does initial hand path during the DS contribute to keeping or releasing PP#4, if at all?
g400max 9*- rogue 125 60tx
g30 14.5* - ping tour 80x
vrPro ltd. 19* - diamana s 83x
4-gw ap1 712 - s300's
mp-t10 56.10 - s300
tvd 60m - ti s400
piretti potenza ii 365g 34"

#19 iteachgolf

iteachgolf

Legend

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,052 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 14489
GolfWRX Likes : 7038

Posted 12 June 2018 - 07:27 PM

Golfbeat.Ö..is that Dana's turning into the left arm?

He says that: Lead arm pressure stays against the chest into the downswing. He says that a good way to train this is to keep a glove in your left arm pit. He also wants the lead arm to stay up. He says that if you release the left arm (pressure point #4) that your body will stall and not turn through.  I assume that this is the difference between the body method versus the arms method. The interesting thing is that I have tried both methods and they both seems to work somehow. Kuchhhh apparently had a similar experience.

Keeping PP4/glove under left arm pit isnít the same thing at all as being pinned across chest.

#20 b.helts

b.helts

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,579 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 100214
GolfWRX Likes : 2319

Posted 12 June 2018 - 08:11 PM

Sorry! A bit off topic, just a definition question. Is CoM Center of Mass?

Thanks!

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#21 Golf nerd

Golf nerd

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 932 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 336769
GolfWRX Likes : 206

Posted 13 June 2018 - 01:33 AM

The interesting thing with Dana is that he taught to some students to release the left arm of the chest to get the hands more forward like in this clip here.

But he changed his whole swing philosophy to the current version where he doesn't teach to move the left arm off the chest in the downswing. There are some possible reasons for that: he either wants to teach a different swing pattern which is superior or he wants to market his "own" swing without getting in conflict with his older sources. Who knows. In his clips he says that his current pattern allows to power the swing and have more control over the release.

Edited by Golf nerd, 13 June 2018 - 01:34 AM.

#22 MonteScheinblum

MonteScheinblum

Rebellion Golf

• Sponsors
  • 17,913 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 94238
GolfWRX Likes : 10933

Posted 13 June 2018 - 09:54 AM

You can get the CoM to move properly and R/L arm will move properly.

You can move R arm properly and get CoM and left arm to move properly.

You can get the L arm to move properly and get the R arm and CoM to move properly.

Depends on the golfer.

The left arm adducts slight in transition with an iron.  A few degrees.  With a driver, a few degrees more.  By left arm parallel it is rapidly accelerating away from the chest and the angle increases rapidly.

I’ll just ask this.  Can you throw a frisbee, hit a left handed cross court backhand in tennis, or swing an axe at a tree with more speed and power by loading the arm, shifting and pivoting will accelerating the left arm away from the chest....or pinning the arm on purpose and just trying to open up and pivot as much as possible?

#23 ShutSteepStuck

ShutSteepStuck

Grinding like Briny Baird

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,315 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 182556
  • Handicap:1
GolfWRX Likes : 461

Posted 13 June 2018 - 09:59 AM

View PostGolf nerd, on 13 June 2018 - 01:33 AM, said:

The interesting thing with Dana is that he taught to some students to release the left arm of the chest to get the hands more forward like in this clip here.

But he changed his whole swing philosophy to the current version where he doesn't teach to move the left arm off the chest in the downswing. There are some possible reasons for that: he either wants to teach a different swing pattern which is superior or he wants to market his "own" swing without getting in conflict with his older sources. Who knows. In his clips he says that his current pattern allows to power the swing and have more control over the release.

Props to Dana for always refining things!. Don’t really know the context of that particular lesson but his current pattern seems very different in certian respects from what was said then in the video above.
g400max 9*- rogue 125 60tx
g30 14.5* - ping tour 80x
vrPro ltd. 19* - diamana s 83x
4-gw ap1 712 - s300's
mp-t10 56.10 - s300
tvd 60m - ti s400
piretti potenza ii 365g 34"

#24 Redjeep83

Redjeep83

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,762 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 115910
GolfWRX Likes : 809

Posted 13 June 2018 - 10:01 AM

Dana was teaching SnT then, that was 2011. Stuff he teaches has changed

#25 ferrispgm

ferrispgm

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,690 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2018 - 11:07 AM

View PostMonteScheinblum, on 13 June 2018 - 09:54 AM, said:

You can get the CoM to move properly and R/L arm will move properly.

You can move R arm properly and get CoM and left arm to move properly.

You can get the L arm to move properly and get the R arm and CoM to move properly.

Depends on the golfer.

The left arm adducts slight in transition with an iron.  A few degrees.  With a driver, a few degrees more.  By left arm parallel it is rapidly accelerating away from the chest and the angle increases rapidly.

I’ll just ask this.  Can you throw a frisbee, hit a left handed cross court backhand in tennis, or swing an axe at a tree with more speed and power by loading the arm, shifting and pivoting will accelerating the left arm away from the chest....or pinning the arm on purpose and just trying to open up and pivot as much as possible?

Probably also the reason why most people can hit a 1/2 backswing wedge or short iron at near full swing distances or in some cases farther if they just try to accelerate as much as possible on the downswing.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors