Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Who was in the wrong? Me or the "marshal"

marshal practice membership

113 replies to this topic

#61 MtlJeff

MtlJeff

#TheWRX (Callaway Trip)

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,201 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 68568
  • Handicap:0.0
GolfWRX Likes : 23059

Posted 12 June 2018 - 06:44 PM

View PostMadGolfer76, on 12 June 2018 - 06:17 PM, said:

View PostMtlJeff, on 12 June 2018 - 06:07 PM, said:

View PostMadGolfer76, on 12 June 2018 - 05:27 PM, said:

Lots of people saying they would get their feelings hurt by a big, bad, 80 year old granny??

It isn't that I am looking to cause trouble here, but maybe it is time to man up rather than complain to management.

And what, hit her?

Jeff, does that really sound like something I would advocate for? C'mon...

What I would suggest is not getting so upset over being told to do something different. Maybe she came across as harsh...so what? She's an old woman. No need to get bunched up over something that trivial, in my opinion. Just acknowledge her and get on with the day.

I was just kidding around homes :)

I wouldn't advocate getting mad, but i think as KevCarter said the best thing to do is just ask the club if they have a problem with this behavior because you don't agree with it and were surprised the marshall gave you grief over it

Cobra F8+ 8.5 w/Aldila NV65 Green 2KXV
Callaway Epic Subzero 14* w//Matrix Black Tie 80
Callaway Apex Hybrid 20 w/Diamana D+ 95
Callaway Apex Pro 4-PW w/S300
Callaway MD Forged 52,56,60 w/S300
SGC NorthWood Center Shaft 400g

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#62 MadGolfer76

MadGolfer76

Admiration is the state furthest from understanding.

• Advanced Members
  • 19,117 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 89700
GolfWRX Likes : 10337

Posted 12 June 2018 - 06:56 PM

View PostMtlJeff, on 12 June 2018 - 06:44 PM, said:

View PostMadGolfer76, on 12 June 2018 - 06:17 PM, said:

View PostMtlJeff, on 12 June 2018 - 06:07 PM, said:

View PostMadGolfer76, on 12 June 2018 - 05:27 PM, said:

Lots of people saying they would get their feelings hurt by a big, bad, 80 year old granny??

It isn't that I am looking to cause trouble here, but maybe it is time to man up rather than complain to management.

And what, hit her?

Jeff, does that really sound like something I would advocate for? C'mon...

What I would suggest is not getting so upset over being told to do something different. Maybe she came across as harsh...so what? She's an old woman. No need to get bunched up over something that trivial, in my opinion. Just acknowledge her and get on with the day.

I was just kidding around homes :)

I wouldn't advocate getting mad, but i think as KevCarter said the best thing to do is just ask the club if they have a problem with this behavior because you don't agree with it and were surprised the marshall gave you grief over it

Yeah, damn internet... :russian_roulette:

I'm just surprised this is even a thing for some people. It would have gone out of my mind by the time I was putting my clubs in the car.
Mizuno ST-180 10.5/Mitsubishi Tensei Blue 60s
Mizuno JPX 900 15/Fujikura Speeder 661s
Mizuno Mp-54 3-Pw/Dynamic Gold s300
Mizuno T7 50, 54, 58/Dynamic Gold s300
Scotty Cameron Futura X7
Srixon Z-Star

WITB

#63 md1m

md1m

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 736 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 313547
GolfWRX Likes : 483

Posted 12 June 2018 - 07:12 PM

View Postcaniac6, on 12 June 2018 - 05:59 PM, said:

The marshal was wrong, but I'm not too sure I would have pulled out the "I'm a member card" A good marshal should be able to evaluate the situation, and handle it appropriately. That being said, I would say something to the pro. Regardless of being a member, she should wait for someone to walk off the green, and just say the course really doesn't want people practicing on the course, have a good day, and hope you enjoyed your round.

I mentioned that I was a member not in the "do you know who I am" sense, but because as a member, I can play as many holes as I would like (with permission and if space is available of course). So there's no reason I couldn't have gone back and played the entire hole again or anywhere on the back nine even. Therefore, why should she care if I wanted to hit one small shot over?

And to all the "leave the old woman alone" people, she could of, and should have, left me alone and this is not an issue!
Clubs are fluid

#64 deadsolid...shank

deadsolid...shank

Legend

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 11,997 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 99408
GolfWRX Likes : 8242

Posted 12 June 2018 - 07:37 PM

View Postjerebear21, on 12 June 2018 - 05:46 PM, said:

It’s an 80 year old woman

Just let her be.  Who knows how many years left.

Maybe a lot. Those old German/Russian women are tough old birds.

My wife's grandmother just turned 95 and she's still as mean as she was the day I met her almost 40 years ago.  She would be the same way as this old gal.
Titleist 910 8.5
Titleist 910 15*
Titleist 910H 17*
2-6 Mizuno MP-60, 7-PW MP-67
SC GoLo
Vokey SM5 52,58,62

#65 Wooderson

Wooderson

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,909 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 5371
  • Handicap:19.5
GolfWRX Likes : 934

Posted 12 June 2018 - 07:53 PM

You could say "You're looking nice this morning Hilda. I'd say you've got a solid year or two left!"

Just kidding.  I've held jobs of enforcement before. It's not easy. I can say there are some people who do not possess the common sense or demeanor To be in these authoritative positions.

Let me tell you what Wooderson is packin'
Ping G400 Max 9° Tour 65 Stiff
Ping G30 14.5° TFC 419F Stiff
Callaway GBB 18° Diamana Ka'li Stiff

Titleist 818 H1 21° Rogue Black Stiff
Titleist 818 H1 25° Tensei Pro White Stiff
Ping G400 6/7 Ping i200 8-PW Modus 105 Stiff

Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth GW/ES SW
Ping Eye2 LW
Cameron Mil Spec Newport

#66 Medic

Medic

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,330 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 132567
  • Handicap:9.1
GolfWRX Likes : 8004

Posted 12 June 2018 - 08:51 PM

Easy situation to handle OP.

1. Pull cell phone with video cam out, turn it on and start "news report". "I'm here finishing on 18 with NAME OF COURSE employee, Ethel. Ethel, I am video taping you now and wanted to ask - on this completely empty course with no one waiting behind me you are telling me that I, as a member, cannot hit an extra putt or two as I finish out, is this correct?"

2. Continue video tape.

3. Hit another putt while taping.

4. If she goes off (probable) then head off with indisputable evidence to management and ask them if this is the sort of behavior you can be expecting from their staff as a new member?

5. Go to parking area and watch as she leaves despondent over the fact that the one single meaningful portion of her life since her husband and all of her friends have now passed has now been taken away from her.

Or, alternatively, you could ask another member what the deal is and act accordingly based on info provided.

I'd personally go with the alternative. Fast. Simple. Effective. Yup - pretty sure I'd just ask another member what gives and take it from there only going to management if this who issue proves worthy.
Callaway Epic with Fujikura 62s in 45.25 set at 12.5*
Taylormade Rbz FW (17*)
Callaway X-Hot Pro 20* Hybrid
Callaway Apex CF16 4-PW w/KBS 90s
Titleist Vokey 50*
Callaway Mack Daddy 2 Slate 56*
Titleist Vokey SM-6 60-08 M
Odyssey Versa 9 34"
Callaway Chrome Soft

#67 MadGolfer76

MadGolfer76

Admiration is the state furthest from understanding.

• Advanced Members
  • 19,117 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 89700
GolfWRX Likes : 10337

Posted 12 June 2018 - 08:56 PM

View PostMedic, on 12 June 2018 - 08:51 PM, said:

1. Pull cell phone with video cam out, turn it on and start "news report". "I'm here finishing on 18 with NAME OF COURSE employee, Ethel. Ethel, I am video taping you now and wanted to ask - on this completely empty course with no one waiting behind me you are telling me that I, as a member, cannot hit an extra putt or two as I finish out, is this correct?"

2. Continue video tape.

4. If she goes off (probable) then head off with indisputable evidence to management and ask them if this is the sort of behavior you can be expecting from their staff as a new member?

5. Go to parking area and watch as she leaves despondent over the fact that the one single meaningful portion of her life since her husband and all of her friends have now passed has now been taken away from her.

Or, alternatively, you could ask another member what the deal is and act accordingly based on info provided.

I'd personally go with the alternative. Fast. Simple. Effective. Yup - pretty sure I'd just ask another member what gives and take it from there only going to management if this who issue proves worthy.

First suggestion is overkill on an 80 year old person, and would make the OP look bad really quick. Especially being a new member.
Mizuno ST-180 10.5/Mitsubishi Tensei Blue 60s
Mizuno JPX 900 15/Fujikura Speeder 661s
Mizuno Mp-54 3-Pw/Dynamic Gold s300
Mizuno T7 50, 54, 58/Dynamic Gold s300
Scotty Cameron Futura X7
Srixon Z-Star

WITB

#68 ZAP

ZAP

Major Winner

• 1,332 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 165699
  • Handicap:4
GolfWRX Likes : 924

Posted 12 June 2018 - 08:59 PM

Old people say what they want and how they want.   If I am lucky enough to get old I plan to do the same.
She was wrong if that's exactly how it happened but yelling back at an old lady just isn't right.  You have to just take it.

#69 KBong

KBong

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,189 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 434478
GolfWRX Likes : 842

Posted 12 June 2018 - 09:00 PM

View PostSpooky67, on 12 June 2018 - 06:18 PM, said:

A couple of years ago we were playing a course on a Wednesday....there were four of us and we were the only ones on the course as far as I could tell. Never saw anyone else. The "marshal" drove up to us on the third hole and told us we were a bit slow. He came again every few holes and said the same. At the turn he said..."You guys are doing better." We finished the front in a bit under 1.5hrs with two guys that rarely play. I politely mentioned that since we were doing "better" and we never saw anyone else playing that we didn't need any more updates...if someone complained about us please let us know... Never saw him again.
95% of marshals are idiots and fools with no common sense.
And when a 'real' issue exists.....they don't do anything because they don't want confrontation.

#70 Medic

Medic

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,330 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 132567
  • Handicap:9.1
GolfWRX Likes : 8004

Posted 12 June 2018 - 09:01 PM

View PostMadGolfer76, on 12 June 2018 - 08:56 PM, said:

View PostMedic, on 12 June 2018 - 08:51 PM, said:

2. Continue video tape.

First suggestion is overkill on an 80 year old person, and would make the OP look bad really quick. Especially being a new member.

C-mon MG...

First response was pure unadulterated sarcasm meant to point out how really trivial the issue is and how simple it will be to just ask another member what the rules are, who she is, what her deal is and how he should handle it.

It's these really simple situations that amaze me.

Callaway Epic with Fujikura 62s in 45.25 set at 12.5*
Taylormade Rbz FW (17*)
Callaway X-Hot Pro 20* Hybrid
Callaway Apex CF16 4-PW w/KBS 90s
Titleist Vokey 50*
Callaway Mack Daddy 2 Slate 56*
Titleist Vokey SM-6 60-08 M
Odyssey Versa 9 34"
Callaway Chrome Soft

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#71 Augster

Augster

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,854 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 30291
GolfWRX Likes : 1577

Posted 13 June 2018 - 12:11 AM

Or just show her the rule, 7-2.

“...he may practice putting or chipping on or near:

a. the putting green of the hole last played,
b. any practice putting green, or
c. the teeing ground of the next hole to be played in the round,”

Even if they have some sort of asinine “no practice” policy in place, have them look up 7-2 and tell them you’ll do what the rules allow. Because you’re at a golf course. Playing golf.

#72 hls2k6

hls2k6

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 34811
GolfWRX Likes : 13

Posted 13 June 2018 - 01:42 AM

Based on first report of this incident, report it to management & hope for redress. Based on the second, with reference to overall attitude towards kids & outsiders, not to mention treatment when of you & wife on walk, quit & demand your money back. “It’s close to my house” is one thing, but how can you possibly feel good supporting, let alone being associated with, such a deplorable community?

#73 LeoLeo99

LeoLeo99

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,493 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 326383
GolfWRX Likes : 2160

Posted 13 June 2018 - 08:47 AM

Some people just can't handle a little authority.  Goes right to their heads.

#74 jholz

jholz

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 935 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 151611
  • Handicap:7.4
GolfWRX Likes : 448

Posted 13 June 2018 - 09:59 AM

I know that I am in the minority here, but it is hard for me to see this situation in any other light than the OP creating his own problems.

His various posts provide a history of negative experiences with this course/club, and he openly admits that he doesn't like the people there. Yet, he goes ahead and gets a membership anyway?

It seems to me that the OP got exactly what was advertised.
Cleveland Launcher HB 10.5* - Stock Miyazaki C. Kua 50 Stiff
Callaway Diablo Octane Tour 13* - Aldila NV 75 Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* - Accra Dymatch M5 75
Mizuno F-50 18* - Stock Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour Hybrid 21* - Aldila NV 85 Stiff
Callaway RAZR Tour Hybrid 24* - Stock XStiff
5 - PW Cleveland CG7 Tour Black Pearl - DGSL S300
Vokey Design 200 Series 52* Stock Wedge (?)
Cleveland CG15 Oilcan 56* Stock Wedge
Callaway X-Series JAWS Slate CC 58* Stock Wedge
Odyssey White Ice #7 - Golf Pride Oversize

#75 TheCityGame

TheCityGame

Traj like Minaj

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,401 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 122960
  • Handicap:2ish
GolfWRX Likes : 20570

Posted 13 June 2018 - 10:09 AM

View Postgolfgirlrobin, on 12 June 2018 - 02:53 PM, said:

View Postgolfnhack, on 12 June 2018 - 11:13 AM, said:

Well... grammatically it would be you. Your post should read: "Who was in the wrong. The marshal, or I?"

If you’re going to bring up grammar, it’s actually, “Who was in the wrong, the marshal or me?”
Is it? For starters, I definitely wouldn't put a period after "wrong". That's just all kinds of nuts.

I could see it both ways, but I lean towards (1).

1) This is a "subject question". . ..Who was in the wrong? I was in the wrong. "The marshall and I" are the subjects of the verb "was". "In this scenario, I was in the wrong, or the marshal was in the wrong?" Or. . ..

2) There's an implied preposition like "Who was in the wrong (between) the marshal and me?"

Personal opinion : go with what sounds right to most people. "who was in the wrong. . .the marshall or me?"

Big note : I don't actually care and would never initiate this discussion, but will participate in it if started. The point was communicated clearly and that's all we need out of language.

Ping G25 10.5º
RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Sauce : tour
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Mizuno JPX-900 Forged 4I-GW
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Vokey 60º/12º M-grind
Bobby Grace F-18

#76 deadsolid...shank

deadsolid...shank

Legend

• 11,997 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2018 - 10:11 AM

View Postjholz, on 13 June 2018 - 09:59 AM, said:

I know that I am in the minority here, but it is hard for me to see this situation in any other light than the OP creating his own problems.

His various posts provide a history of negative experiences with this course/club, and he openly admits that he doesn't like the people there. Yet, he goes ahead and gets a membership anyway?

It seems to me that the OP got exactly what was advertised.

I haven’t seen or read any previous posts from him in regards to the course so I only have the OP to base off of.

View PostTheCityGame, on 13 June 2018 - 10:09 AM, said:

View Postgolfgirlrobin, on 12 June 2018 - 02:53 PM, said:

View Postgolfnhack, on 12 June 2018 - 11:13 AM, said:

Well... grammatically it would be you. Your post should read: "Who was in the wrong. The marshal, or I?"

If you’re going to bring up grammar, it’s actually, “Who was in the wrong, the marshal or me?”
Is it? For starters, I definitely wouldn't put a period after "wrong". That's just all kinds of nuts.

I could see it both ways, but I lean towards (1).

1) This is a "subject question". . ..Who was in the wrong? I was in the wrong. "The marshall and I" are the subjects of the verb "was". "In this scenario, I was in the wrong, or the marshal was in the wrong?" Or. . ..

2) There's an implied preposition like "Who was in the wrong (between) the marshal and me?"

Personal opinion : go with what sounds right to most people. "who was in the wrong. . .the marshall or me?"

Big note : I don't actually care and would never initiate this discussion, but will participate in it if started. The point was communicated clearly and that's all we need out of language.

Quit with all that, you’re making my head hurt!��
Titleist 910 8.5
Titleist 910 15*
Titleist 910H 17*
SC GoLo
Vokey SM5 52,58,62

#77 hybrid25

hybrid25

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,684 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 434860
GolfWRX Likes : 750

Posted 13 June 2018 - 10:12 AM

If the scenario was what was what you describe, and I have no reason to believe otherwise, I think she was definitely in the wrong. I probably would have fired back at her and told her to mind your own business. There was no point she needed to make in a situation like that except hello sir have a nice day.

#78 jdl

jdl

Masshole

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,439 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 272218
  • Handicap:7.1
GolfWRX Likes : 798

Posted 13 June 2018 - 10:23 AM

View Postlarrybud, on 12 June 2018 - 02:34 PM, said:

View PostBrianMcG, on 12 June 2018 - 10:12 AM, said:

I kinda like her attitude personally.

Damned if you do, damned if you don’t. So many threads of complaints that Marshall’s never do anything, but once one says something golfers are offended.

So it's a zero tolerance policy, no matter how ridiculous?  People aren't capable of thinking for themselves these days?

Tell her "I took an unplayable and I'm re-playing my shot.  You don't want me to play outside the rules of golf, do you?"

This. Then go full on in defending those rules.

Edited by jdl, 13 June 2018 - 10:30 AM.

#79 SheriffBooth

SheriffBooth

Major Winner

• Marshals
  • 3,937 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 17355
  • Handicap:2.6
  • Ebay ID:yakima2k

Posted 13 June 2018 - 10:26 AM

Thread's been cleaned up.  Reminder that curse words are not allowed, even if disguised with *** and other symbols.  Please keep it PG.
Taylormade M3, 9.5*, Rogue Silver 60 S
Callaway 816 16*, Rogue Silver I/O 70 S
Callaway Apex 3H, Kuro Kage 80-hyb S
Taylormade P-790, 4-PW, Recoil 110 F4 +1"
Taylormade MG 50, 56, 60 Recoil 110 F4 +1"
Taylormade TP Collection Balboa

#80 NEhomer

NEhomer

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 497926
  • Handicap:8
GolfWRX Likes : 205

Posted 13 June 2018 - 10:31 AM

I'm thinking from the owner's position. If I caught one of my employees scolding a member for something like this, there'd be consequences. I don't blame OP for being irked.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#81 alfie

alfie

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,401 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 40738
  • Ebay ID:babybruce21
GolfWRX Likes : 50

Posted 13 June 2018 - 10:39 AM

OP, at that moment, should've just apologized and moved on.
Then, at a later date, speak to other members to find out what's the deal with the lady/marshall in question & the policies that the course is trying to enforce in regards to practice & overall common sense.
If this is the usual treatment that the lady "dishes" out to members, then a brief discussion with upper management is in need. If it's not the case (maybe she was having a rough few days?), let it go... if it still irks the op a bit, then, next time you see such lady, just have a polite talk with the lady, just to express your thoughts, in a respecful manner.

#82 deadsolid...shank

deadsolid...shank

Legend

• 11,997 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2018 - 10:41 AM

View Postalfie, on 13 June 2018 - 10:39 AM, said:

Then, at a later date, speak to other members to find out what's the deal with the lady/marshall in question & the policies that the course is trying to enforce in regards to practice & overall common sense.
If this is the usual treatment that the lady "dishes" out to members, then a brief discussion with upper management is in need. If it's not the case (maybe she was having a rough few days?), let it go... if it still irks the op a bit, then, next time you see such lady, just have a polite talk with the lady, just to express your thoughts, in a respecful manner.

Why should the OP have apologized?  Maybe he might have said fine and moved on, but no way is an apology in order.

Edited by deadsolid...shank, 13 June 2018 - 10:42 AM.

Titleist 910 8.5
Titleist 910 15*
Titleist 910H 17*
SC GoLo
Vokey SM5 52,58,62

#83 cubanstogie

cubanstogie

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 345 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 64894
  • Handicap:4.7
  • Ebay ID:mp60playa
GolfWRX Likes : 97

Posted 13 June 2018 - 10:46 AM

View PostKBong, on 12 June 2018 - 09:00 PM, said:

A couple of years ago we were playing a course on a Wednesday....there were four of us and we were the only ones on the course as far as I could tell. Never saw anyone else. The "marshal" drove up to us on the third hole and told us we were a bit slow. He came again every few holes and said the same. At the turn he said..."You guys are doing better." We finished the front in a bit under 1.5hrs with two guys that rarely play. I politely mentioned that since we were doing "better" and we never saw anyone else playing that we didn't need any more updates...if someone complained about us please let us know... Never saw him again.
And when a 'real' issue exists.....they don't do anything because they don't want confrontation.
bottom line is a few bad apples give the rest a bad name. I marshal outside tourneys at a private course. Although I have seen some complete idiots out there I cant say 95 % of guys playing in tourneys are idiots and have no business  being on course. Although after a tournament  I feel that way sometimes. Two sides to every story and from my perspective  the major problem is not knowing how some will respond to sarcasm, rules of course, directions, or common sense. Some people are respectful, some arrogant snobs, and some just plain trailer trash. You  have to pick and choose your battles in life, this marshall with the OP didn't do that well IMO. The battles I have chose to pic included guys pissing on the outside of bathroom wall, while I was pulling up in cart. I was irritated but just asked them politely if the door was locked or something. They said oh we didn't even try to open it. Nothing more, Its not like I was going to report it or write there names down, but I wasn't just going to keep driving either. Another time a homeowner called with broken window, I knew it was someone from 1 of 2 foursomes, couldn't have been anyone else. All denied knowing anything about it. Drive away and say thanks anyway, not much you can do. I personally would have fessed up to breaking a window like most would but there always a few the ruin it for the rest.

#84 alfie

alfie

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,401 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 40738
  • Ebay ID:babybruce21
GolfWRX Likes : 50

Posted 13 June 2018 - 10:48 AM

View Postdeadsolid...shank, on 13 June 2018 - 10:41 AM, said:

Why should the OP have apologized?  Maybe he might have said fine and moved on, but no way is an apology in order.

Ok... then DON'T apologize and move on...

People are just too damn confrontational nowadays. Either way, it's no big deal whether OP gets in a few extra putts on the 18th hole or not and it should not be a big deal getting told to leave the green area... really the overall situation, both ways, is not a major deal and saying "sorry" in this instance to an 80 year old woman is not gonna cause any major harm to the op... sheesh!

Edited by alfie, 13 June 2018 - 10:51 AM.

#85 deadsolid...shank

deadsolid...shank

Legend

• 11,997 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2018 - 10:55 AM

View Postalfie, on 13 June 2018 - 10:48 AM, said:

Ok... tben DON'T apologize and move on...

People are just to damn confrontational nowadays. Either way, it's no big deal whether OP gets ina few extra putts on the 18th hole or not and it should not be a big deal getting told to leave the green area... really the overall situation, both ways, is not a major deal and saying "sorry" in this instance to an 80 year old woman is not gonna cause any major harm to the op... sheesh!

Honest question here. If it had been a 50 year old man doing the “marshalling”, same exact scenario, language, and tone (as much as we can infer tone from the OP), does it change how you feel?  People keep referencing “80 year old woman” like that’s some “get out jail free” card and gives carte blanche to act any way she pleases. Rules don’t apply for her?

Titleist 910 8.5
Titleist 910 15*
Titleist 910H 17*
SC GoLo
Vokey SM5 52,58,62

#86 deadsolid...shank

deadsolid...shank

Legend

• 11,997 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2018 - 10:58 AM

View Postcubanstogie, on 13 June 2018 - 10:46 AM, said:

View PostKBong, on 12 June 2018 - 09:00 PM, said:

bottom line is a few bad apples give the rest a bad name. I marshal outside tourneys at a private course. Although I have seen some complete idiots out there I cant say 95 % of guys playing in tourneys are idiots and have no business  being on course. Although after a tournament  I feel that way sometimes. Two sides to every story and from my perspective  the major problem is not knowing how some will respond to sarcasm, rules of course, directions, or common sense. Some people are respectful, some arrogant snobs, and some just plain trailer trash. You  have to pick and choose your battles in life, this marshall with the OP didn't do that well IMO. The battles I have chose to pic included guys pissing on the outside of bathroom wall, while I was pulling up in cart. I was irritated but just asked them politely if the door was locked or something. They said oh we didn't even try to open it. Nothing more, Its not like I was going to report it or write there names down, but I wasn't just going to keep driving either. Another time a homeowner called with broken window, I knew it was someone from 1 of 2 foursomes, couldn't have been anyone else. All denied knowing anything about it. Drive away and say thanks anyway, not much you can do. I personally would have fessed up to breaking a window like most would but there always a few the ruin it for the rest.

Great reply here, from someone with experience.

It just seems like it should always start cordially. Even to the morons outside the restroom.
Titleist 910 8.5
Titleist 910 15*
Titleist 910H 17*
SC GoLo
Vokey SM5 52,58,62

#87 BlackDiamondPar5

BlackDiamondPar5

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,903 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 71580
GolfWRX Likes : 3431

Posted 13 June 2018 - 10:58 AM

View Postdeadsolid...shank, on 13 June 2018 - 10:55 AM, said:

View Postalfie, on 13 June 2018 - 10:48 AM, said:

Ok... tben DON'T apologize and move on...

People are just to damn confrontational nowadays. Either way, it's no big deal whether OP gets ina few extra putts on the 18th hole or not and it should not be a big deal getting told to leave the green area... really the overall situation, both ways, is not a major deal and saying "sorry" in this instance to an 80 year old woman is not gonna cause any major harm to the op... sheesh!

Honest question here. If it had been a 50 year old man doing the “marshalling”, same exact scenario, language, and tone (as much as we can infer tone from the OP), does it change how you feel?  People keep referencing “80 year old woman” like that’s some “get out jail free” card and gives carte blanche to act any way she pleases. Rules don’t apply for her?
DSS, it's clear that a few people commenting here don't even understand the context of the OP's question.

#88 me05501

me05501

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 406 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 499624
  • Ebay ID:mike_in_chattanooga
GolfWRX Likes : 331

Posted 13 June 2018 - 11:13 AM

"I just bought a membership to a muni course..."

I think I found the issue. :)

My guess is that a muni course's idea of "membership" equates to "unlimited greens fees." This is somewhat different from membership in a private course, where you are essentially a stakeholder in the entire property and the staff defers to your desires (within reason).

From the perspective of the marshall, it probably seemed like your round was over when your first ball was holed, and anything that happened after that was "practice." If one of the rules she has been asked to enforce is "no practice on the course," then she was in the right to point out the rule.

It sounds like the way she chose to do it was rude and condescending, which would have been an issue for me too. Maybe I'd have addressed that with her, or perhaps with management, depending on her attitude. But, in my experience, if you're taking an issue to management, and your first statement is "I was breaking a course rule, but it wasn't hurting anyone," you're on a weak footing.

Edited by me05501, 13 June 2018 - 11:13 AM.

#89 BlackDiamondPar5

BlackDiamondPar5

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,903 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 71580
GolfWRX Likes : 3431

Posted 13 June 2018 - 11:18 AM

View PostAugster, on 13 June 2018 - 12:11 AM, said:

Or just show her the rule, 7-2.

“...he may practice putting or chipping on or near:

a. the putting green of the hole last played,
b. any practice putting green, or
c. the teeing ground of the next hole to be played in the round,”

Even if they have some sort of asinine “no practice” policy in place, have them look up 7-2 and tell them you’ll do what the rules allow. Because you’re at a golf course. Playing golf.
I think this alone should shut her up.

#90 jpdx

jpdx

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,390 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 430484
GolfWRX Likes : 382

Posted 13 June 2018 - 12:09 PM

View Postme05501, on 13 June 2018 - 11:13 AM, said:

"I just bought a membership to a muni course..."

I think I found the issue. :)

My guess is that a muni course's idea of "membership" equates to "unlimited greens fees." This is somewhat different from membership in a private course, where you are essentially a stakeholder in the entire property and the staff defers to your desires (within reason).

From the perspective of the marshall, it probably seemed like your round was over when your first ball was holed, and anything that happened after that was "practice." If one of the rules she has been asked to enforce is "no practice on the course," then she was in the right to point out the rule.

It sounds like the way she chose to do it was rude and condescending, which would have been an issue for me too. Maybe I'd have addressed that with her, or perhaps with management, depending on her attitude. But, in my experience, if you're taking an issue to management, and your first statement is "I was breaking a course rule, but it wasn't hurting anyone," you're on a weak footing.

I still maintain that since OP was playing alone - it is and was a practice round - prohibited by the rules of the course. So the no practice rule doesn't make sense.

Nike Vapor Flex 440 driver 9.5* Diamana Blueboard
Nike
Vapor Fly 3 wood 15* Diamana Blueboard
Nike
Vapor Fly 3 hybrid 20* Diamana Blueboard
Nike Vapor Fly Pro 4 DG Pro s300 -2*
Nike
Vapor Pro 4-PW DG s300 -2*
Nike
Engage 54* SS and 58* DS
Nike Method Matter m4-12
Nike Air Hybrid II Bag

b-team/travel bag
Nike Vapor Pro driver 11.5* Diamana Blueboard
Taylormade Burner 2.0 3 wood stock r flex shaft
Taylormade Burner 2.0 3 hybrid stock r flex haft

Nike Vapor Fly Pro 4-AW DG Pro S300 -2*
Nike Engage 50* SS 54* SS 60* DS
Nike Method Origin b2-01
Cure CX-2
Nike Air Sport II and Hyperadapt

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

Also tagged with marshal, practice, membership

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors