Jump to content

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

* * * * - 1 votes

Tigerís Future Status for The U.S. Open


68 replies to this topic

#31 Slackattack

Slackattack

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 348 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 30992
  • Joined: 06/06/2007
GolfWRX Likes : 155

Posted 12 June 2018 - 01:47 PM

Can you imagine the outcry if the USGA didnít give him an exemption at Pebble Beach next year?  If heís healthy and wants to play, he will play there.

Cleveland Custom XL - Black Tie X
TEE CB4 3W, CB2 5W - Proforce V2 X
Adams Idea Pro 3H - Aldila By You S
Callaway Apex 4I - KBS Tour X
Bridgestone J38 DPC 5-PW - KBS Tour X
588 RTX Rust - 52, 58 KBS Tour X
Odyssey MXM #9, 34 in.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


1

#32 Need4spd

Need4spd

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,081 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 53885
  • Joined: 04/16/2008
  • Location:Phoenix, AZ
GolfWRX Likes : 283

Posted 12 June 2018 - 02:17 PM

Based on limited research it appears as though Jack received eight “special exemptions” and Arnie six, so there is some precedent for it.
In the Hoofer

TaylorMade M1 440 10.5° (2017) Graphite Design Tour AD DI 6X
TaylorMade M2 15° (2017) Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7X
TaylorMade Tour Preferred UDI #2 Aldila RIP Alpha 105X
Callaway Rogue Pro 4-5, Apex Pro 6-PW Project X Rifle 6.0
Titleist Vokey Design SM7 50.12F, 54.14F, 58.12D Project X Rifle 6.0
Odyssey O-Works Black Marxman S
TaylorMade TP5

2

#33 stu_man

stu_man

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 549 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 107853
  • Joined: 05/12/2010
GolfWRX Likes : 778

Posted 12 June 2018 - 02:41 PM

Does anyone really believe the USGA would EVER not give him an exemption?  Is this really an opinion?  Do you want to know why they kept the special exemption?  For Tiger freaking Woods..They may give him a gentle nudge waaaay off in the future to decide to "retire" from the championship.. but he will have a spot in the field as long as he wants it.

3

#34 bscinstnct

bscinstnct

    Legend

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,672 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 77664
  • Joined: 03/17/2009
GolfWRX Likes : 18773

Posted 12 June 2018 - 03:19 PM

View PostSlackattack, on 12 June 2018 - 01:47 PM, said:

Can you imagine the outcry if the USGA didnít give him an exemption at Pebble Beach next year?  If heís healthy and wants to play, he will play there.

TW will get a lifetime exemption. It will be up to him. He wont abuse it and I dont know why he would bother playing US Opens for more than 6 or 7 more years.

Jack had a consecutive major streak from 57 to 98 going so it made sense to keep giving him exemptions even though he couldnt win.

I could see TW playing us opens til he is 50 then, depending on how he feels, maybe playing one or two more when he feels like it.

No event saying "no" to Tiger Woods if they have any chance of having him play.


4

#35 cdnglf

cdnglf

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,386 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 139540
  • Joined: 09/20/2011
GolfWRX Likes : 1856

Posted 12 June 2018 - 03:25 PM

View PostNeed4spd, on 12 June 2018 - 02:17 PM, said:

Based on limited research it appears as though Jack received eight “special exemptions” and Arnie six, so there is some precedent for it.

Sure, but nobody has got one year after year after year, regardless of performance.
Also, exemptions are less common than they used to be. They were a regular occurrence through the 80s and 90s, and they gave out 6(!) in 2000. But only 5 for the past 13 Opens:
http://www.usga.org/...exemptions.html


Jack didn't need them until his 50s, when he was a part-time player. He was still good enough to make the cut most years.

Arnie got a farewell invite in 1994, but the rest were in the late 70s/early 80s.

Watson got 4 between 1993 and 2003, and one more in 2010 after he'd finished runner-up in the Open in 2009 (that the 2010 US Open was at Pebble also probably played a factor). He made the cut most years.

Player didn't play the US Open after 1989, although he continued to play the Open and the Masters for many years after.

Edited by cdnglf, 12 June 2018 - 03:39 PM.


5

#36 Darth Putter

Darth Putter

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,176 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 466932
  • Joined: 05/09/2017
  • Location:Central Illinois
  • Handicap:10.8
GolfWRX Likes : 3952

Posted 12 June 2018 - 03:33 PM

View Postbscinstnct, on 12 June 2018 - 03:19 PM, said:

View PostSlackattack, on 12 June 2018 - 01:47 PM, said:

Can you imagine the outcry if the USGA didn't give him an exemption at Pebble Beach next year?  If he's healthy and wants to play, he will play there.

TW will get a lifetime exemption. It will be up to him. He wont abuse it and I dont know why he would bother playing US Opens for more than 6 or 7 more years.

Jack had a consecutive major streak from 57 to 98 going so it made sense to keep giving him exemptions even though he couldnt win.

I could see TW playing us opens til he is 50 then, depending on how he feels, maybe playing one or two more when he feels like it.

No event saying "no" to Tiger Woods if they have any chance of having him play.

If we assume Tiger dosn't win another US Open, I could see him playing until they go back to Pebble Beach in 2027 when he'll be 51. Health permitting of course.

The one senior tour event I can see him playing is the US Senior Open. If he wins that, he gets a spot in the next year's field.
swing is irrelevant, score is everything

just say NO.... to practice swings

6

#37 Shilgy

Shilgy

    Legend

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,115 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 235237
  • Joined: 03/07/2013
  • Location:Phoenix
  • Handicap:2.6
GolfWRX Likes : 6823

Posted 12 June 2018 - 03:38 PM

View PostNeed4spd, on 12 June 2018 - 08:54 AM, said:

View PostZ1ggy16, on 12 June 2018 - 07:57 AM, said:

All he has to do is win a tourney, come what... top 50 in fedex points, place top 5 this year in any of the other majors etc... Plenty of time/ways for him to get in next year with out needing to qualify.

Actually, none of those necessarily get him in except for a top five in this year's US Open. Top five in the other majors doesn't get you squat, nor do wins, at least not as it pertains to what we're talking about. They would all help move him up in the OWGR obviously but would not guarantee him anything. There are numerous guys who have won, some more than once, in the past year who had to go through qualifying this year.
Only because I am too lazy to look this up and find it amazing a player could win twice or more in 12 months and not be in top 60.....who?
TM M3 440 10* Graphite Design AD IZ 6x
TM M1 3w 14*  Graphite Design BB7s
TM M2  5w 18* Fujikura Atmos TS Blue 8S or Srixon U65 18° Atmos Red 7s
Adams A12 UST Silver S 21°
Srixon Z765 5-AW Nippon Pro Modus3 125S
Titleist Vokey 54*F  58*S
Toulon Garage Rochester/ Toulon Rochester

To paraphrase Dr Seuss: Don't cry because the round of golf is over-smile because it happened .  :)

7

#38 Darth Putter

Darth Putter

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,176 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 466932
  • Joined: 05/09/2017
  • Location:Central Illinois
  • Handicap:10.8
GolfWRX Likes : 3952

Posted 12 June 2018 - 03:39 PM

For all the talk about Tiger, what about Phil?

His British Open exemption runs out after this year.

He's on track to finish top 30 in the Fed Ex Cup to secure his place at Pebble Beach in 2019, but then what?

I can see him getting a special exemption in to Winged Foot in 2020 and Torrey Pines in 2021 if needed, but that may be it unless he qualifies or wins the US Senior Open.

View PostShilgy, on 12 June 2018 - 03:38 PM, said:

View PostNeed4spd, on 12 June 2018 - 08:54 AM, said:

View PostZ1ggy16, on 12 June 2018 - 07:57 AM, said:

All he has to do is win a tourney, come what... top 50 in fedex points, place top 5 this year in any of the other majors etc... Plenty of time/ways for him to get in next year with out needing to qualify.

Actually, none of those necessarily get him in except for a top five in this year's US Open. Top five in the other majors doesn't get you squat, nor do wins, at least not as it pertains to what we're talking about. They would all help move him up in the OWGR obviously but would not guarantee him anything. There are numerous guys who have won, some more than once, in the past year who had to go through qualifying this year.
Only because I am too lazy to look this up and find it amazing a player could win twice or more in 12 months and not be in top 60.....who?

Patton Kizzire
swing is irrelevant, score is everything

just say NO.... to practice swings

8

#39 bscinstnct

bscinstnct

    Legend

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,672 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 77664
  • Joined: 03/17/2009
GolfWRX Likes : 18773

Posted 12 June 2018 - 03:42 PM

View PostDarth Putter, on 12 June 2018 - 03:33 PM, said:

View Postbscinstnct, on 12 June 2018 - 03:19 PM, said:

View PostSlackattack, on 12 June 2018 - 01:47 PM, said:

Can you imagine the outcry if the USGA didn't give him an exemption at Pebble Beach next year?  If he's healthy and wants to play, he will play there.

TW will get a lifetime exemption. It will be up to him. He wont abuse it and I dont know why he would bother playing US Opens for more than 6 or 7 more years.

Jack had a consecutive major streak from 57 to 98 going so it made sense to keep giving him exemptions even though he couldnt win.

I could see TW playing us opens til he is 50 then, depending on how he feels, maybe playing one or two more when he feels like it.

No event saying "no" to Tiger Woods if they have any chance of having him play.

If we assume Tiger dosn't win another US Open, I could see him playing until they go back to Pebble Beach in 2027 when he'll be 51. Health permitting of course.

The one senior tour event I can see him playing is the US Senior Open. If he wins that, he gets a spot in the next year's field.


Mt Rushmore of golf

Jones, Arnie, Jack, Tiger.

These guys made the game greater, each in their own way, than it would have been had they not played golf.

You always want them at an event if they want to be there.





9

#40 cdnglf

cdnglf

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,386 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 139540
  • Joined: 09/20/2011
GolfWRX Likes : 1856

Posted 12 June 2018 - 03:44 PM

View PostDarth Putter, on 12 June 2018 - 03:39 PM, said:

For all the talk about Tiger, what about Phil?

His British Open exemption runs out after this year.

He's on track to finish top 30 in the Fed Ex Cup to secure his place at Pebble Beach in 2019, but then what?

I can see him getting a special exemption in to Winged Foot in 2020 and Torrey Pines in 2021 if needed, but that may be it unless he qualifies or wins the US Senior Open.

View PostShilgy, on 12 June 2018 - 03:38 PM, said:

View PostNeed4spd, on 12 June 2018 - 08:54 AM, said:

View PostZ1ggy16, on 12 June 2018 - 07:57 AM, said:

All he has to do is win a tourney, come what... top 50 in fedex points, place top 5 this year in any of the other majors etc... Plenty of time/ways for him to get in next year with out needing to qualify.

Actually, none of those necessarily get him in except for a top five in this year's US Open. Top five in the other majors doesn't get you squat, nor do wins, at least not as it pertains to what we're talking about. They would all help move him up in the OWGR obviously but would not guarantee him anything. There are numerous guys who have won, some more than once, in the past year who had to go through qualifying this year.
Only because I am too lazy to look this up and find it amazing a player could win twice or more in 12 months and not be in top 60.....who?

Patton Kizzire

Phil is going to win about 5 US Senior Opens in a row.


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


10

#41 Finbarr Saunders

Finbarr Saunders

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 999 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 138955
  • Joined: 09/11/2011
  • Location:Edinburgh
  • Handicap:5.6
GolfWRX Likes : 327

Posted 12 June 2018 - 03:53 PM

He's had every door opened for him in his golfing life, if he isn't in they will change the rules so he is

11

#42 Finbarr Saunders

Finbarr Saunders

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 999 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 138955
  • Joined: 09/11/2011
  • Location:Edinburgh
  • Handicap:5.6
GolfWRX Likes : 327

Posted 12 June 2018 - 03:59 PM

View PostMilkyButterCuts, on 12 June 2018 - 01:39 PM, said:

View PostFiveSixAce, on 12 June 2018 - 08:23 AM, said:

I would hazard a guess that if this scenario were to occur Mr. Woods would be the beneficiary of a special exemption like the ones Els and Furyk received this year.  Maybe indefinitely lol.  79 wins and 3 US Opens has to get you some love.  

https://www.golfdige...hinnecock-hills

Definitely. Look how many exemptions Jack got...

Being the GOAT gets you some major love

12

#43 Christosterone

Christosterone

    Reverse C

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,104 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 180350
  • Joined: 05/11/2012
  • Location:Texas
  • Handicap:+54
GolfWRX Likes : 2680

Posted 12 June 2018 - 06:14 PM

View Postbscinstnct, on 12 June 2018 - 03:42 PM, said:

View PostDarth Putter, on 12 June 2018 - 03:33 PM, said:

View Postbscinstnct, on 12 June 2018 - 03:19 PM, said:

View PostSlackattack, on 12 June 2018 - 01:47 PM, said:

Can you imagine the outcry if the USGA didn't give him an exemption at Pebble Beach next year?  If he's healthy and wants to play, he will play there.

TW will get a lifetime exemption. It will be up to him. He wont abuse it and I dont know why he would bother playing US Opens for more than 6 or 7 more years.

Jack had a consecutive major streak from 57 to 98 going so it made sense to keep giving him exemptions even though he couldnt win.

I could see TW playing us opens til he is 50 then, depending on how he feels, maybe playing one or two more when he feels like it.

No event saying "no" to Tiger Woods if they have any chance of having him play.

If we assume Tiger dosn't win another US Open, I could see him playing until they go back to Pebble Beach in 2027 when he'll be 51. Health permitting of course.

The one senior tour event I can see him playing is the US Senior Open. If he wins that, he gets a spot in the next year's field.


Mt Rushmore of golf

Jones, Arnie, Jack, Tiger.

These guys made the game greater, each in their own way, than it would have been had they not played golf.

You always want them at an event if they want to be there.

Exactly!!!
I’d support Jack getting a 2018 exemption....not kidding
Jack and Tiger earned it...

-Chris

-Chris
Sixon Z745 Japanese Tour 430cc Tour AD-DJ7 XX

Srixon zU45 (2,3) KBS Tour 130X White Pearl 2* upright

Srixon JDM Z945 (4-PW) KBS Tour 130X White Pearl 2* upright

Cleveland 588 DSG(52,56,60) KBS Tour 130X White Pearl 2* upright

dumbest putter ever...backstryke with tons of lead tape

13

#44 RH2

RH2

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 482936
  • Joined: 09/27/2017
  • Location:DFW
  • Handicap:15
GolfWRX Likes : 36

Posted 12 June 2018 - 06:26 PM

Tiger exemptions for life! He’s obviously great for the game (unless the tv network only covers him when he is 10 shots back... that’s kinda ridiculous)

14

#45 Krt22

Krt22

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,479 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 261822
  • Joined: 07/05/2013
  • Location:East Bay
GolfWRX Likes : 2502

Posted 12 June 2018 - 06:34 PM

View PostKGrinols, on 12 June 2018 - 12:56 PM, said:

View Postcdnglf, on 12 June 2018 - 11:39 AM, said:

View PostKGrinols, on 12 June 2018 - 11:36 AM, said:

View PostNeed4spd, on 12 June 2018 - 10:22 AM, said:

I could see the USGA taking a stand just to make a point about exactly how democratic they really are.

That stand would cost them so much money every time they make it, they would have to be brain dead.

Put me in the 'golf is a business' crowd, that understands no Tiger means less viewers, less sponsors, less advertisers.

Viewers, sponsors and advertisers will not continue to care indefinitely about a Tiger that isn't good enough to qualify on his own.

We literally JUST go through a 10 year span of Tiger not being good enough to qualify on his own, where fans, viewers, sponsors, (this site) and advertisers still flocked to him like crazy.
Tiger is a legend and will forever be an Ambassador of this sport, whether he's qualifying or not, even whether he's playing or not.  Sponsors, advertisers, and viewers will follow.
One day, Tiger might join the Senior Tour, and if you don't think sponsors, viewers, and advertisers are going to follow him, then I think you're crazy.

He has been fully qualified to play the US open for the last 10 years.


15

#46 jwpatt11

jwpatt11

    Newbie

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 470342
  • Joined: 06/05/2017
  • Location:NC
  • Handicap:12
GolfWRX Likes : 14

Posted 12 June 2018 - 07:18 PM

I think the simplest solution is just for him to win this week, and we can continue this thread in 10 years.

16

#47 gatorMD

gatorMD

    Hacker-in-Chief

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 3,103 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 487980
  • Joined: 12/03/2017
  • Location:St. Petersburg, FL
  • Handicap:2.5
GolfWRX Likes : 2104

Posted 12 June 2018 - 07:25 PM

View Postjwpatt11, on 12 June 2018 - 07:18 PM, said:

I think the simplest solution is just for him to win this week, and we can continue this thread in 10 years.

this
Driver: TM M2 Tour 9.5 AD MT 6TX
3W: TM M2 Tour 15 AD MT 7X
Utility: Srixon Z U65 3/20 Blueboard X
Irons: Ben Hogan PTx 4-PW Tour V X
Wedges: SM6 50F and 54S DG100; SM5 60K DGS400
Putter: Odyssey White Hot RX Rossie Putter
Ball: Titleist AVX
Grips: Grip Master Signature
Glove: Titleist Perma Soft

17

#48 tiderider

tiderider

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,031 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 320763
  • Joined: 06/13/2014
  • Location:b'ham
  • Handicap:5ish
GolfWRX Likes : 897

Posted 12 June 2018 - 07:37 PM

tiger doesn't want to be fdr ...

18

#49 bladehunter

bladehunter

    I have a great profile! Especially from the side !

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,437 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 291449
  • Joined: 01/12/2014
  • Location:south carolina
  • Handicap:NONE
GolfWRX Likes : 18050

Posted 12 June 2018 - 07:40 PM

Wins this week heís good till 52.  Why all the fuss ?
Callaway Rogue 9.8 Tour issue Rogue Black 80TX  playing at 43 1/4
17 M1 14.5  Tour issue Graphite Design   AD DI 8X
Bridgestone Tour B-XH 18 Graphite Design AD DI 105X
Ping i500 4-pw Modus 130X
Vokey Tour issue raw SM6   50 f  54  60 M  Modus 130S
Cameron GSS 1.5 009  Vertical stamp , tungsten sole weights

hows that for brand loyalty??

19

#50 wobgon

wobgon

    Hall of Fame

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,931 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 54137
  • Joined: 04/20/2008
GolfWRX Likes : 5085

Posted 12 June 2018 - 08:03 PM

View Postcdnglf, on 12 June 2018 - 03:25 PM, said:

View PostNeed4spd, on 12 June 2018 - 02:17 PM, said:

Based on limited research it appears as though Jack received eight “special exemptions” and Arnie six, so there is some precedent for it.

Sure, but nobody has got one year after year after year, regardless of performance.
Also, exemptions are less common than they used to be. They were a regular occurrence through the 80s and 90s, and they gave out 6(!) in 2000. But only 5 for the past 13 Opens:
http://www.usga.org/...exemptions.html


Jack didn't need them until his 50s, when he was a part-time player. He was still good enough to make the cut most years.

Arnie got a farewell invite in 1994, but the rest were in the late 70s/early 80s.

Watson got 4 between 1993 and 2003, and one more in 2010 after he'd finished runner-up in the Open in 2009 (that the 2010 US Open was at Pebble also probably played a factor). He made the cut most years.

Player didn't play the US Open after 1989, although he continued to play the Open and the Masters for many years after.
And don' tforget Tiger who will get as many as he wants.


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

20

#51 wobgon

wobgon

    Hall of Fame

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,931 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 54137
  • Joined: 04/20/2008
GolfWRX Likes : 5085

Posted 12 June 2018 - 08:04 PM

View PostRH2, on 12 June 2018 - 06:26 PM, said:

Tiger exemptions for life! He’s obviously great for the game (unless the tv network only covers him when he is 10 shots back... that’s kinda ridiculous)
And did you ever ask yourself why they do that?

21

#52 moonshine

moonshine

    06/17/18 Best day of year to watch golf!

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 6,251 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 31690
  • Joined: 06/14/2007
  • Location:North Charleston, SC
  • Handicap:2.4
GolfWRX Likes : 752

Posted 12 June 2018 - 08:17 PM

It is nuts to think a guy can win 3 us opens and not qualify. Heck IMO they dogged Goosen this year...gave Furyk invite but not RG.
"We have learned that we must
live as men, not as ostriches, nor
as dogs in the manger." FDR

22

#53 PowderedToastMan

PowderedToastMan

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,437 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 141617
  • Joined: 10/07/2011
  • Location:Calgary, Canada
GolfWRX Likes : 3979

Posted 12 June 2018 - 08:51 PM

Tiger will get exemptions if needed, but if thereís one organization that exists that would deny an exemption to Tiger, itís the USGA. They legitimately think they are bigger than Tiger and are stubborn enough to reject the millions that come with a Tiger invite.
Former professional golfer. Current amateur human being. Reformed club ho.

In the bag:

PING. Lots of PING.

23

#54 bscinstnct

bscinstnct

    Legend

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,672 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 77664
  • Joined: 03/17/2009
GolfWRX Likes : 18773

Posted 12 June 2018 - 09:04 PM

View PostPowderedToastMan, on 12 June 2018 - 08:51 PM, said:

Tiger will get exemptions if needed, but if thereís one organization that exists that would deny an exemption to Tiger, itís the USGA. They legitimately think they are bigger than Tiger and are stubborn enough to reject the millions that come with a Tiger invite.

Is because they are mad they are bald and have no athletic ability.

Is like if Larry David ran golf.

Edited by bscinstnct, 12 June 2018 - 09:17 PM.


24

#55 Need4spd

Need4spd

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,081 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 53885
  • Joined: 04/16/2008
  • Location:Phoenix, AZ
GolfWRX Likes : 283

Posted 12 June 2018 - 09:07 PM

View PostPowderedToastMan, on 12 June 2018 - 08:51 PM, said:

Tiger will get exemptions if needed, but if thereís one organization that exists that would deny an exemption to Tiger, itís the USGA. They legitimately think they are bigger than Tiger and are stubborn enough to reject the millions that come with a Tiger invite.

This is absolutely true. Anyone who thinks differently is in denial in my opinion. Thatís obviously conjecture on my part but the USGA is fully full of themselves and would do it just to make a point. As Iíve said multiple times, theyíll throw him a few but there is definitely a scenario where they draw the line. Iíve also acknowledged the fact that I donít think it will be necessary in the near future. Heís not going to win this week, but he should be able to work his way into the Tour Championship and/or top 60 in the OWGR.

Edited by Need4spd, 12 June 2018 - 09:12 PM.

In the Hoofer

TaylorMade M1 440 10.5° (2017) Graphite Design Tour AD DI 6X
TaylorMade M2 15° (2017) Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7X
TaylorMade Tour Preferred UDI #2 Aldila RIP Alpha 105X
Callaway Rogue Pro 4-5, Apex Pro 6-PW Project X Rifle 6.0
Titleist Vokey Design SM7 50.12F, 54.14F, 58.12D Project X Rifle 6.0
Odyssey O-Works Black Marxman S
TaylorMade TP5

25

#56 3whacker

3whacker

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 359 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 26070
  • Joined: 02/27/2007
  • Location:Las Vegas Nevada
GolfWRX Likes : 92

Posted 12 June 2018 - 09:37 PM

Tiger will get an exemption being the Presidents Cup captain...

But its obvious from this thread is that many on here won't be able to face the fact that sooner rather than later, the game will go on without Tiger...I actually think Tiger's ego will not allow himself to accept an exemption if he doesnt have a legit shot at competing at the highest level

26

#57 redfirebird08

redfirebird08

    Hall of Fame

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,492 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 91707
  • Joined: 08/14/2009
GolfWRX Likes : 2402

Posted 13 June 2018 - 01:24 AM

He will get the special exemptions if necessary. Goosen, Els, Furyk, and others have received them in recent years. Tiger has 9 USGA wins, tied with Bobby Jones for the most ever. Mike Davis spent 45 minutes on YouTube talking about Tigerís success in USGA events.

27

#58 MSUIRONDAWGS

MSUIRONDAWGS

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 641 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 105474
  • Joined: 03/28/2010
GolfWRX Likes : 236

Posted 13 June 2018 - 06:48 AM

View Postmoonshine, on 12 June 2018 - 08:17 PM, said:

It is nuts to think a guy can win 3 us opens and not qualify. Heck IMO they dogged Goosen this year...gave Furyk invite but not RG.

Probably because Goose just recently got an invite @ Oakmont.

28

#59 driveandputtmachine

driveandputtmachine

    4 wedges or 2 iron? That is the question!

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 1,070 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 302417
  • Joined: 03/18/2014
  • Location:Atlanta, GA
  • Handicap:0.0
GolfWRX Likes : 573

Posted 13 June 2018 - 09:41 AM

This is simple, the USGA can extend his exemptions.  He was off of the tour due to major medical issues.  They can say two or three of those years he didn't play were due to the major medical and extend his invites to 10 years that he was healthy.  Problem solved.

This would be the route the USGA would take if Tiger is not within the top 60 OWGR, which quite possibly is ludicrous to assume Tiger will not be top 60.  Every week he makes a cut his ranking will go up.  He has no tournaments rolling off of his ranking to worry about.  Plus his form has been pretty good, having a shot to win a couple of tourneys so far this year.
Driver - Cobra F8+ on Aldila NV 2KXV Green
Fairway - Callaway F8+ on UST Axivcore Black
Hybrid - TM UDI 2 iron on Nippon 130
Irons - Srixon 565 4-6 on Nippon Modus 130.
Srixon 765 7-PW on Nippon Modus 130
Wedges - Cleveland Rotex 2.0 50*, 54*, 60* w/ Nippon 130
Putter - Mannkrafted MA/66 or Sunset Beach Custom - Ocean Isle Beach black
Ball - TM TP5x or Srixon Z Star XV

29

#60 Ben Martinez

Ben Martinez

    Bird is the word

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 114796
  • Joined: 09/12/2010
  • Location:East Coast
  • Handicap:3
GolfWRX Likes : 32

Posted 13 June 2018 - 01:36 PM

View PostSlackattack, on 12 June 2018 - 01:47 PM, said:

Can you imagine the outcry if the USGA didn't give him an exemption at Pebble Beach next year?  If he's healthy and wants to play, he will play there.
yes, TW will always have a spot, doesn't matter his qualification status...


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

30



0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors