Jump to content

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

2018 Curtis Cup


  • Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 KBong

KBong

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,189 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 434478
  • Joined: 07/29/2016
GolfWRX Likes : 842

Posted 10 June 2018 - 11:43 PM

USA 17
GBI    3

The US won all 8 singles matches today.
Kristen Gillman went 5-0.....1st since Stacy Lewis since did it years ago.

That crazy Lucy Li....doing her crazy winning handshake stuff with Sophia in foursomes yesterday afternoon right in front of her opponents who just got dusted 7-5....I love to see an arrogant 15 year old,
Go Lucy Go!....ice Cream for everyone.

I don't think parents/friends are allowed to caddie in USGA events???
They employed Quaker Ridge caddies....I assume the USGA paid them???

The average age of the gallery seemed to be 75....mostly QR members?


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


1

#2 elwhippy

elwhippy

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,351 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 3536
  • Joined: 07/28/2005
GolfWRX Likes : 839

Posted 11 June 2018 - 03:08 AM

This was purgatory to watch. The course was awesome but set up way to tough for young girls (it's a college and junior event these days). Very few birdies and even less spectators. The standard of play by GB & I was shameful. New selectors and coaches needed for 2020, our girls looked way out of their depth.

2

#3 Your-away!

Your-away!

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 927 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 323581
  • Joined: 06/27/2014
  • Location:UK
GolfWRX Likes : 690

Posted 11 June 2018 - 04:47 AM

View Postelwhippy, on 11 June 2018 - 03:08 AM, said:

This was purgatory to watch. The course was awesome but set up way to tough for young girls (it's a college and junior event these days). Very few birdies and even less spectators. The standard of play by GB & I was shameful. New selectors and coaches needed for 2020, our girls looked way out of their depth.

Got to be one of the most pointless competitions in golf, the difference in quality is alarming but not exactly surprising, i'm amazed GB & I have actually won this in the past.

To expect GB & I to compete on the same level at that age is ridiculous, Get it to include Europe and it might be more competitive
DRIVER:Taylormade M2 (2016) 9.5* - Diamana 60S
3 WOOD:Taylormade M2 Tour (2017) 17* HL - Diamana 70 S
HYBRID:Adams Proto DHY 21* - Steelfiber i95 s
IRONS 4-PW:Taylormade P770 -KBS Tour S 2.0* flat
GAP WEDGE:Taylormade R Series Satin 51*(52) - KBS Tour S - 2.5* flat
WEDGES:Titleist SM6 RAW - 56/60 - S300 - 2.5* Flat
PUTTER:TaylormadeSpider Tour Red - 34"
BALL:Whichever gets bought for me, or found.

3

#4 Argonne69

Argonne69

    Legend

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,911 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 102839
  • Joined: 02/01/2010
  • Location:Chicago, IL
GolfWRX Likes : 21665

Posted 11 June 2018 - 09:36 AM

Yeah, it's definitely time to expand the GB&I team to include the rest of Europe. As they mentioned in the broadcast, the U.S. team are very much professional amateurs.

I thought the course was beautiful, but I tend to agree that it was a bit too tough. These team competitions are generally birdies fests.

4

#5 Your-away!

Your-away!

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 927 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 323581
  • Joined: 06/27/2014
  • Location:UK
GolfWRX Likes : 690

Posted 11 June 2018 - 09:38 AM

View PostArgonne69, on 11 June 2018 - 09:36 AM, said:

Yeah, it's definitely time to expand the GB&I team to include the rest of Europe. As they mentioned in the broadcast, the U.S. team are very much professional amateurs.

I thought the course was beautiful, but I tend to agree that it was a bit too tough. These team competitions are generally birdies fests.

I bet 75% of the American players will turn Pro to some level, i bet the GB & I team that will go down to about 10 - 20%

DRIVER:Taylormade M2 (2016) 9.5* - Diamana 60S
3 WOOD:Taylormade M2 Tour (2017) 17* HL - Diamana 70 S
HYBRID:Adams Proto DHY 21* - Steelfiber i95 s
IRONS 4-PW:Taylormade P770 -KBS Tour S 2.0* flat
GAP WEDGE:Taylormade R Series Satin 51*(52) - KBS Tour S - 2.5* flat
WEDGES:Titleist SM6 RAW - 56/60 - S300 - 2.5* Flat
PUTTER:TaylormadeSpider Tour Red - 34"
BALL:Whichever gets bought for me, or found.

5

#6 Stooch

Stooch

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 336 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 481884
  • Joined: 09/14/2017
  • Location:Ontario, Canada
  • Handicap:15
GolfWRX Likes : 325

Posted 11 June 2018 - 10:28 AM

The Americans picking on the poor Euro's again, when the Ladies decide to try and beat the Korean girls let me know, then I'll be interested.  I understand President Trump is against a women's team competition against the Korean's, cause it would really hurt the "MAGA" movement he is undertaking :taunt:

6

#7 Argonne69

Argonne69

    Legend

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,911 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 102839
  • Joined: 02/01/2010
  • Location:Chicago, IL
GolfWRX Likes : 21665

Posted 11 June 2018 - 11:27 AM

View PostStooch, on 11 June 2018 - 10:28 AM, said:

The Americans picking on the poor Euro's again, when the Ladies decide to try and beat the Korean girls let me know, then I'll be interested.  I understand President Trump is against a women's team competition against the Korean's, cause it would really hurt the "MAGA" movement he is undertaking :taunt:

Other than Hye Jin's dramatic play at last year's USWO, I don't recall seeing much in the way of Korean amateur golf. It seems with the KLPGA's feeder tours that most players turn pro rather early, rather than spend 2 to 4 years playing college golf. There is only one Korean amateur ranked in the World's Top 25, and only 4 in the top 50. The U.S. has 6 in the top 10, and 10 in the top 25.

7

#8 Stooch

Stooch

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 336 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 481884
  • Joined: 09/14/2017
  • Location:Ontario, Canada
  • Handicap:15
GolfWRX Likes : 325

Posted 11 June 2018 - 11:57 AM

View PostArgonne69, on 11 June 2018 - 11:27 AM, said:

View PostStooch, on 11 June 2018 - 10:28 AM, said:

The Americans picking on the poor Euro's again, when the Ladies decide to try and beat the Korean girls let me know, then I'll be interested.  I understand President Trump is against a women's team competition against the Korean's, cause it would really hurt the "MAGA" movement he is undertaking :taunt:

Other than Hye Jin's dramatic play at last year's USWO, I don't recall seeing much in the way of Korean amateur golf. It seems with the KLPGA's feeder tours that most players turn pro rather early, rather than spend 2 to 4 years playing college golf. There is only one Korean amateur ranked in the World's Top 25, and only 4 in the top 50. The U.S. has 6 in the top 10, and 10 in the top 25.

I suspect the Korean girls have a pretty amazing amateur golf program.  I know the amateur game is international but American (North American) and those who come to live in the US have advantages in the Amateur ranking, cause I'm assuming most point are available in the US.  I don't know the Korean Golf culture (scene) that well (I"m sure others do) but I imagine most stick close to home in their younger years do to cultural and language differences.  Quite honestly if a player desires (Korean girls) the path to the LPGA is better through the KLPGA.  You'll  know if you have the goods coming from the KLPGA.  I think like all golf federations,  the Korean's fund a few players to represent on the International amateur scene, like their young prodigies but most players stay home and do there thing, then come and win a Major 5 years later, only to have all the viewer saying "who's this and where did she come from" lol

8

#9 south_side_lefty

south_side_lefty

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,068 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 39933
  • Joined: 09/25/2007
  • Location:SW Cook County, IL
GolfWRX Likes : 774

Posted 12 June 2018 - 10:42 AM

View PostYour-away!, on 11 June 2018 - 04:47 AM, said:

View Postelwhippy, on 11 June 2018 - 03:08 AM, said:

This was purgatory to watch. The course was awesome but set up way to tough for young girls (it's a college and junior event these days). Very few birdies and even less spectators. The standard of play by GB & I was shameful. New selectors and coaches needed for 2020, our girls looked way out of their depth.

Got to be one of the most pointless competitions in golf, the difference in quality is alarming but not exactly surprising, i'm amazed GB & I have actually won this in the past.

To expect GB & I to compete on the same level at that age is ridiculous, Get it to include Europe and it might be more competitive

Doesn't seem to bother the Walker Cup so much.

9



0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors