Jump to content

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

What's causing this pull?


  • Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Stephen1125

Stephen1125

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 288 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 382924
  • Joined: 06/27/2015
  • Location:Huntsville, AL
  • Handicap:13
  • Ebay ID:Stephen112587m4
GolfWRX Likes : 51

Posted 10 June 2018 - 04:30 PM

I've got two big misses lately that get me in trouble.
This video is a straight pull. My other miss is a huge push/fade. I don't have a video for that one.
Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you.

https://youtu.be/27_F3sJgXD4

Edited by Stephen1125, 10 June 2018 - 04:46 PM.


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


1

#2 CaddiesFault

CaddiesFault

    Golf Professional

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 526 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 152241
  • Joined: 12/26/2011
  • Location:IL
  • Handicap:-
GolfWRX Likes : 93

Posted 10 June 2018 - 10:18 PM

So your 2 misses are a pull and a big push fade...this means the club is moving out-to-in through impact aka you are cutting across it. Either the face is square to the path and a pull happens, or its a little open and a slight fade happens(good shot), or the face is not only open to the swing path, but also to the target line. Then the big push fade shows up.

either be more patient at the top of your swing, so your shoulders dont get out in front too much, or work on feeling like you are swinging to right field to get the club moving down the line longer and not to the left as quick.
Callaway

2

#3 D Bottoms

D Bottoms

    Newbie

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 126638
  • Joined: 04/14/2011
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 13 June 2018 - 02:17 PM

View PostCaddiesFault, on 10 June 2018 - 10:18 PM, said:

So your 2 misses are a pull and a big push fade...this means the club is moving out-to-in through impact aka you are cutting across it. Either the face is square to the path and a pull happens, or its a little open and a slight fade happens(good shot), or the face is not only open to the swing path, but also to the target line. Then the big push fade shows up.

either be more patient at the top of your swing, so your shoulders dont get out in front too much, or work on feeling like you are swinging to right field to get the club moving down the line longer and not to the left as quick.

"Swinging to right field" is something I say in my head before every shot.  It really helps keep the path of the club inside as opposed to outside-in

3

#4 copperjeff

copperjeff

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 841 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 187038
  • Joined: 06/18/2012
  • Location:AZ
  • Handicap:9000
GolfWRX Likes : 392

Posted 18 June 2018 - 01:32 AM

First, check your alignment and ball position.  

Next, in your backswing, your arms overrun your shoulder turn, arms and shoulders should stop at the same time.  Feeling the right arm stay straighter at the top may help with this.  

Additionally, in the backswing your right knee locks straight, should keep a touch of flex in it.  When the knee locks straight, it makes proper hip movement in the downswing difficult.  

With arms overrunning in the backswing, your hips also fire a bit quick in the downswing (locked knee probably contributing) this really gets your arms/hands a bit too far behind and they have to flip/roll in order to catch up. Flip early and you pull it, flip late and you hit blocks and push fades.

Ball position being too close to you or in wrong spot could also contribute.

Good Luck!
Golfing Ginger
So glad I picked an outside activity...

4

#5 Stephen1125

Stephen1125

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 288 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 382924
  • Joined: 06/27/2015
  • Location:Huntsville, AL
  • Handicap:13
  • Ebay ID:Stephen112587m4
GolfWRX Likes : 51

Posted 21 June 2018 - 09:08 AM

View Postcopperjeff, on 18 June 2018 - 01:32 AM, said:

First, check your alignment and ball position.  

Next, in your backswing, your arms overrun your shoulder turn, arms and shoulders should stop at the same time.  Feeling the right arm stay straighter at the top may help with this.  

Additionally, in the backswing your right knee locks straight, should keep a touch of flex in it.  When the knee locks straight, it makes proper hip movement in the downswing difficult.  

With arms overrunning in the backswing, your hips also fire a bit quick in the downswing (locked knee probably contributing) this really gets your arms/hands a bit too far behind and they have to flip/roll in order to catch up. Flip early and you pull it, flip late and you hit blocks and push fades.

Ball position being too close to you or in wrong spot could also contribute.

Good Luck!
What's the best way to find proper ball position? Is it just trial and error making swings with it in different spots?
I've been trying to restrict my backswing a bit to stop going so far but I always end up doing it anyway.

Thanks.


5

#6 SkiSchoolPro

SkiSchoolPro

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 574 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 469938
  • Joined: 06/01/2017
  • Location:Colorado
  • Handicap:4
GolfWRX Likes : 280

Posted 21 June 2018 - 09:38 AM

View PostStephen1125, on 21 June 2018 - 09:08 AM, said:

View Postcopperjeff, on 18 June 2018 - 01:32 AM, said:

First, check your alignment and ball position.  

Next, in your backswing, your arms overrun your shoulder turn, arms and shoulders should stop at the same time.  Feeling the right arm stay straighter at the top may help with this.  

Additionally, in the backswing your right knee locks straight, should keep a touch of flex in it.  When the knee locks straight, it makes proper hip movement in the downswing difficult.  

With arms overrunning in the backswing, your hips also fire a bit quick in the downswing (locked knee probably contributing) this really gets your arms/hands a bit too far behind and they have to flip/roll in order to catch up. Flip early and you pull it, flip late and you hit blocks and push fades.

Ball position being too close to you or in wrong spot could also contribute.

Good Luck!
What's the best way to find proper ball position? Is it just trial and error making swings with it in different spots?
I've been trying to restrict my backswing a bit to stop going so far but I always end up doing it anyway.

Thanks.
You do a lot of good things and there is no reason for you not to become a single digit HC!

I Agree with the analysis so far. Most people need to exaggerate a change and work on it repeatedly for it to stick.  The reason you need to exaggerate is that even a small change can feel like a lot. Repeated practice (even if short 5 minute indoor sessions) helps to reset muscle memory. I used to over-swing with the arms and know that I can fall back into this habit if I don't focus on shorter swings. I think you should focus on making swings where your hands/arms don't go past 9:00...what feels like a half or 3/4 swing to you, may actually be a proper arm swing. If you learn to hit a 3/4 punch push-draw, I'll bet that you become a single digit capper. Give it some time as it might take repeated practice for this to feel comfortable on the course, but it should help you improve your swing path and club face control in the long run.
Golfing when I can, Ski Coaching, Instructing and Guiding all winter at Vail, Beaver Creek, Copper Mountain, Keystone and Breckenridge.

6

#7 CasualWater

CasualWater

    Rookie

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 4307
  • Joined: 08/03/2005
  • Location:Maryland
GolfWRX Likes : 7

Posted 25 June 2018 - 08:26 AM

Wow, you have a nice swing.
Everyone learns differently, so I will say what works for me and most of the people I help out, but it may not work for you.

Taking video is great - but don't get lost in your swing - your swing is a reaction - your brain controls your body to move in a way that it believes will perform the desired result. It does this within limits - but your swing is so good, that you are well within those limits - balance etc.
So, why is the ball going left - simple, you are hitting it left!
So, why are you hitting it left? That is the question.
You are hitting it left because that is what your brain perceives as the correct action - we first need to reset that - this is my model.

This is how I do it - talking about this move or that move is not the best way to approach it.
That just adds complexity to the swing, which we don't want to do - we want to make it as simple as possible.
For you, there is a fundamental mental issue.

Here are some thoughts for you to determine why your brain is telling your body to hit it left.
  • Are you focused on the target? - do this!
  • Are you looking at the target or the line, and telling your brain - "I want the ball to go there" - do this!
  • Are you trying to execute a move? - Don't do this. This is a practice technique, not a play technique. During practice, you don't care about ball direction when working on a move.
  • When playing, focus intently on your you target, and have a max. of one swing thought. - Yes, you have to let go and trust your skill.
In golf, we have the complexity of the ball spinning and being aerodynamic, so its movement is determined by both swing path and club face angle.
If you can hit a straight shot - that is the easiest practice the below.
It means that you are matching the face angle with your path.
So the ball direction will fully path driven.

Since what is happening to you, is what happens to all golfers, there are lots of fixes out there.
I prefer to start with the mental ones - In my model, your brain believes it is performing the action correctly - so let's start with giving your brain more info.

With a wedge or 7i or if this only happens with the driver, use that club. But it is harder with the driver because of flat face and impact of face angle to path.
OK
At the range, put down 2 alignment sticks
One a foot in front of your ball, and one a foot behind your ball.
Align them so they are pointed exactly at your target - like this:

-----------------         •          ------------------

Give your self room so you don't feel you will hit the sticks.
This setup will prove to your brain, that the line is correct.
You can stand behind the sticks and clearly see that it points exactly to your target.
Now, practice and work within your swing knowledge to have the ball fly on that line.
With a wedge, it is easy - since face angle is minimized.
If the ball goes left, your swing path is left - so, modify your path.
Don't worry about how to do that. This first step is to get you (your brain) to 'see' the true line and the true target.

On very swing, state your intentions verbally: "I want the ball to go there"
Don't try to make it go there by modifying your swing.
Let your subconscious mind make all the adjustments.

Let me know how it goes.

7

#8 Stephen1125

Stephen1125

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 288 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 382924
  • Joined: 06/27/2015
  • Location:Huntsville, AL
  • Handicap:13
  • Ebay ID:Stephen112587m4
GolfWRX Likes : 51

Posted 25 June 2018 - 10:13 PM

Thank you everyone for the compliments, drills and swing thoughts.
I had a good range session today. I worked on alignment, right knee flex, feeling like I'm doing a swing and keeping my upper body steady through the swing. I also found that I was setting up with the ball a bit too far forward with my long irons. Pulling the ball back a hair made my contact much more pure and ball flight was perfect.
I'm going to continue with what I've read here and form a plan for my future self once this problem is solved so I'll know exactly how to fix it.

Thank you all.

8

#9 Finbarr Saunders

Finbarr Saunders

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,005 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 138955
  • Joined: 09/11/2011
  • Location:Edinburgh
  • Handicap:5.6
GolfWRX Likes : 333

Posted 30 June 2018 - 04:11 PM



Your standing way too close for that shot, the balls above your feet and your gripping the club at its full length

9

#10 Stephen1125

Stephen1125

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 288 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 382924
  • Joined: 06/27/2015
  • Location:Huntsville, AL
  • Handicap:13
  • Ebay ID:Stephen112587m4
GolfWRX Likes : 51

Posted 01 August 2018 - 04:12 PM

I'm really starting to make some good swings now. Thank you all for the comments, I took what worked for me and I'm making progress.
I shot a career best 77 yesterday. 6 over on the front 9 and 1 under on the back. The backswing has really got me flushing my shots (as long as I remember to do it!)
Putter was hot yesterday too. 27 putts for the round including one 3 putt.


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


10

#11 Theryanlaf

Theryanlaf

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 304491
  • Joined: 03/30/2014
  • Location:Ontario
  • Handicap:14.5
  • Ebay ID:ryan_laf12
GolfWRX Likes : 26

Posted 07 August 2018 - 01:16 PM

View PostStephen1125, on 01 August 2018 - 04:12 PM, said:

I'm really starting to make some good swings now. Thank you all for the comments, I took what worked for me and I'm making progress.
I shot a career best 77 yesterday. 6 over on the front 9 and 1 under on the back. The ¾ backswing has really got me flushing my shots (as long as I remember to do it!)
Putter was hot yesterday too. 27 putts for the round including one 3 putt.

Did you find you needed to adjust club selection by moving to the 3/4 swings?
Titleist 913 D2 9.5*
Titleist 915F 15*
Taylomade P790 UDI 18*
Ping G30 4-UW
Vokey SM5 54, 58
Scotty Cameron Newport Select 2.5

Theryanlaf's WITB

11

#12 Stephen1125

Stephen1125

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 288 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 382924
  • Joined: 06/27/2015
  • Location:Huntsville, AL
  • Handicap:13
  • Ebay ID:Stephen112587m4
GolfWRX Likes : 51

Posted 07 August 2018 - 01:22 PM

View PostTheryanlaf, on 07 August 2018 - 01:16 PM, said:

View PostStephen1125, on 01 August 2018 - 04:12 PM, said:

I'm really starting to make some good swings now. Thank you all for the comments, I took what worked for me and I'm making progress.
I shot a career best 77 yesterday. 6 over on the front 9 and 1 under on the back. The backswing has really got me flushing my shots (as long as I remember to do it!)
Putter was hot yesterday too. 27 putts for the round including one 3 putt.

Did you find you needed to adjust club selection by moving to the 3/4 swings?
I'm actually hitting about a club further than before. I've been working to add lag into my swing and combining that with the 3/4 swing is giving me better contact. My 8 iron before was a consistent 155 yard club, now it's 165-170 pretty easy.

12

#13 Theryanlaf

Theryanlaf

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 304491
  • Joined: 03/30/2014
  • Location:Ontario
  • Handicap:14.5
  • Ebay ID:ryan_laf12
GolfWRX Likes : 26

Posted 08 August 2018 - 10:06 AM

I'll have to try that out at the range next time! I'm also in the same range as you with the 8i
Titleist 913 D2 9.5*
Titleist 915F 15*
Taylomade P790 UDI 18*
Ping G30 4-UW
Vokey SM5 54, 58
Scotty Cameron Newport Select 2.5

Theryanlaf's WITB

13

#14 LongGoneDawg

LongGoneDawg

    Newbie

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 261484
  • Joined: 07/03/2013
  • Location:Atlanta
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 09 August 2018 - 10:38 AM

Flamingo Drill _ google it.
Cone Drill _ Take it outside the cone, bring it back to the inside of the cone.

These will help you to stop tugging on the club on the downswing with the left hand.

14



0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors