Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Anthony Bourdain

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Bogie_Nights

Bogie_Nights

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,581 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 204145
  • Ebay ID:Pillboxer
GolfWRX Likes : 770

Posted 09 June 2018 - 03:10 PM

I didn't see this posted anywhere.

I watched No Reservations religiously.  I also enjoyed The Layover, and to a lesser extent, Parts Unkown.  He brought the foods, drinks, struggles of other cultures in our living room eloquently but with an edge.  His suicide just goes to show that no amount of money an buy one a way out of one's own head.  He had everything to live for:  money, fame, an 11 year old daughter, but his demons got the best of him nonetheless.

I will miss his show.

RIP and condolences to his family and friends (especially his daughter, girlfriend, and best friend that found him).

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#2 golfandfishing

golfandfishing

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,766 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 381948
  • Handicap:4
GolfWRX Likes : 4821

Posted 09 June 2018 - 04:01 PM

I really liked his first few books and a Cook’s Tour and No Reservations shows. I had to unfollow him and Andrew Zimmern on twitter though. Lots of anger and preoccupation with politics for some reason. Maybe the political ranting and one sidedness was his outlet for his inner demons?  Or maybe that heroin and cocaine problem really never goes away and ate at him every day until it was over. No one will ever know why, including me. Sad to see him go though, really did like his shows.

#3 Man_O_War

Man_O_War

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,317 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 135721
GolfWRX Likes : 1128

Posted 09 June 2018 - 04:19 PM

great guy. Loved his politics. I share similar views. Very sorry to see him go. Must have been some serious demons to do such a thing with a growing daughter., wealth, fun career and lots of adoring fans. Goes to show, what's inside always burns deeper. RIP Bro. I will roll one and drink one for you, but did you have to?
Cobra LTD Pro Project X LZ 6.0 71g HC
Cobra LTD 3/4  Kai'li 80
Cobra LTD 4/5  Kai'li 80
TM Mid_Rescue TP 22*
Srixon Z965 4-PW DG 120 S400
RTX 3.0 50, 54, 60 Modus 125
Machine LN M6/Ping G2 c67
TM TP5x/Srixon Z-STAR XV

#4 Bogie_Nights

Bogie_Nights

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,581 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2018 - 06:16 PM

View Postgolfandfishing, on 09 June 2018 - 04:01 PM, said:

I really liked his first few books and a Cook's Tour and No Reservations shows. I had to unfollow him and Andrew Zimmern on twitter though. Lots of anger and preoccupation with politics for some reason. Maybe the political ranting and one sidedness was his outlet for his inner demons?  Or maybe that heroin and cocaine problem really never goes away and ate at him every day until it was over. No one will ever know why, including me. Sad to see him go though, really did like his shows.

I didn't realize Zimmern was political--on his shows he's not, but Bourdain's Parts Unknown definitely got preachy at times.  The great thing about TV is, if you don't like something, you can change the channel, and I did that during a couple of the episodes.

View PostMan_O_War, on 09 June 2018 - 04:19 PM, said:

great guy. Loved his politics. I share similar views. Very sorry to see him go. Must have been some serious demons to do such a thing with a growing daughter., wealth, fun career and lots of adoring fans. Goes to show, what's inside always burns deeper. RIP Bro. I will roll one and drink one for you, but did you have to?

His political views were left of mine, but I'm sure he spent time in many places and with many people whose political views he disagreed with.  He struck me as the kind of guy that could get along with anyone.  And I loved the fact that he drank during the filming of his TV show (sometimes to the point of getting sloshed).

I had a few in his memory last night...

Edited by Good_Miss_Chris, 09 June 2018 - 06:17 PM.

#5 hnryclay

hnryclay

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 85817
GolfWRX Likes : 190

Posted 09 June 2018 - 08:14 PM

Loved his shows but noticed in the last few years he seemed to be getting "darker", he just did not seem to be enjoying the travel anymore. I loved the style of the shows, he was a real talent.

#6 Bogie_Nights

Bogie_Nights

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,581 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2018 - 09:19 PM

View Posthnryclay, on 09 June 2018 - 08:14 PM, said:

Loved his shows but noticed in the last few years he seemed to be getting "darker", he just did not seem to be enjoying the travel anymore. I loved the style of the shows, he was a real talent.

Agree.  I'm watching reruns on CNN right now, and the episode in Maine focused almost solely on the small town opiate epidemic--not much eating and drinking.

#7 dan360

dan360

Paisano

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,033 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 8694
GolfWRX Likes : 6333

Posted 10 June 2018 - 12:52 AM

Seemed like a good guy.   RIP
As of 29JUL2018

TaylorMade M1 '17 440 9° HZRDUS Yellow
TaylorMade M1 '17 3HL KuroKage
Mizuno MP-H5 Hitogami 1 iron Modus 120
Miura Baby Blades  3-PW Steelfiber 110
Mizuno MP-T10 54/60 DGW  
PING Anser 2 Jim Wells
Callaway Chrome Soft Truvis
OUUL h2oProof stand bag black

#8 vaca22

vaca22

Commander In Beef

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 564 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 46965
GolfWRX Likes : 163

Posted 10 June 2018 - 05:25 PM

I agree with you.

Not that it has anything to do with it, but he started getting a lot of tattoos over the last few seasons.

I'm glad I got to see him and Ripert when they were on their Good vs. Evil tour.  They always seemed to have a blast together.  

Imagine what went through Ripert's head when he opened that door...

#9 third-times-a-charm

third-times-a-charm

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 950 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 464568
GolfWRX Likes : 548

Posted 11 June 2018 - 09:02 AM

View Postvaca22, on 10 June 2018 - 05:25 PM, said:

I agree with you.

Not that it has anything to do with it, but he started getting a lot of tattoos over the last few seasons.

I'm glad I got to see him and Ripert when they were on their Good vs. Evil tour.  They always seemed to have a blast together.  

Imagine what went through Ripert's head when he opened that door...

He was a man of vices.

Drugs, smoking, drinking, cooking, body ink; he just replaced one with another as he went onward. Maybe thats what made him so real.

His politics aside, I liked him. Even if he was a lefty, he liked guns and understood their place.

He was human, most of all, and showed us that we are too.
Long Live Nike

#10 huskydawg

huskydawg

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 86420
GolfWRX Likes : 132

Posted 11 June 2018 - 02:39 PM

Traveling can suck and be a grind sometimes.  For example, recently my flight from Houston experienced an overnight delay due to "tired pilots."  Combine that with pressure from moronic producers endlessly pressuring you to create good and interesting content, he could have felt trapped.

1W
5W
3 Iron
4-PW
GW
SW
LW
Putter
Ball
Glove
Bag

Sub: 3w for 5i