Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Getting frustrated

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 Matchplay10033

Matchplay10033

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 558 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 432544
  • Handicap:4.2
GolfWRX Likes : 335

Posted 09 June 2018 - 10:19 AM

Recently joined a country club and the last few weeks have started playing with a new group of guys.  They all shoot in the low 70's and are very consistent.   My problem is even though I was playing decent golf for me I am still getting my rear handed to me most rounds.  I am growing completely frustrated with my game and recently started to regress.  I am on the range and short game every every second I have free trying to catch these guys and it doesn't seem to work.  Has anyone experienced anything similar and  what are some suggestions to start enjoying this stupid game.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#2 NEhomer

NEhomer

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 497926
  • Handicap:8
GolfWRX Likes : 91

Posted 09 June 2018 - 10:32 AM

Mirror image over here bud.

Joined a private course this year with my buddy and he's on fire shooting Mid 70s pretty regularly. I missed a few weeks from a shoulder injury and I did shoot 78 last week but I'm just stuck at trying to break 80 and going a few over. Just got home from the range and I think I came across my driver problem so hope springs eternal!  I'm getting tired of getting left in the dust too.

Keep at it and it'll come around. If you play ready golf and don't toss fits over bad shots, your new playing partners will enjoy having you play with them. It's probably something simple for both of us. I was not hitting my driver from the inside properly so I'll get that fixed in time to start missing putts~

Posted Image

Edited by NEhomer, 09 June 2018 - 10:35 AM.

#3 Tasals

Tasals

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 378710
  • Handicap:3.7
GolfWRX Likes : 87

Posted 09 June 2018 - 10:57 AM

Well if its a country club and these guys have been members there for a longer time than you have, they have a bunch of extra on course experience. That experience and knowing the course is going to be worth a few shots a round, knowing where to miss what hills and slopes actually play as, best spots to miss on the green for each flag, green breaks that are not as obvious.

Going through something similar, everyone in my regular group is playing some of the best golf ive ever seen them play. I however am playing the worst golf in years. Everything feels off, not sure how to do anything with my swing anymore, all my clubs feel wrong in my hands, fun times.

s*** happens, one day itll turn around and youll find something and just get every break, .

#4 Matchplay10033

Matchplay10033

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 558 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2018 - 04:46 PM

Just got back from playing.   Fired an 89... at this point I think I need time off.  I've been playing more golf than ever before and I am pressing and pressuring myself too much.

#5 NEhomer

NEhomer

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 497926
GolfWRX Likes : 91

Posted 10 June 2018 - 04:39 AM

View PostMatchplay10033, on 09 June 2018 - 04:46 PM, said:

Just got back from playing.   Fired an 89... at this point I think I need time off.  I've been playing more golf than ever before and I am pressing and pressuring myself too much.

This may be my problem as well . Joining this beautiful new club where every tee box looks like a pool table is just so hard to resist though so after another mediocre round yesterday, we're playing at noon today~

Why is there a two stroke difference between 79 and 80?!

#6 Cinnamon Kid

Cinnamon Kid

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 501746
  • Handicap:11
GolfWRX Likes : 23

Posted 10 June 2018 - 04:55 AM

It's just how golf is man, you'll get there in time. Learn from them by observing, if they offer swing tips listen closely and keep working on your game. In the mean time, if it's a nice club where members actually have handicaps, use them and establish one yourself. At the very least start requesting that they give you strokes. That is very normal, assuming you are betting, which you should be. That is a personal  opinion for a couple of different reasons.

At that level it often comes down to ball striking, but grind harder and there's no reason you can't beat or match their short game skills. Still, a very wise gentleman once told me "all  games (bets) are won or lost on the first tee box" meaning in the negotiating of the game, before the peg goes in the ground. Has to be one of the most important things I've ever learned.

#7 ronnbee

ronnbee

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 917 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 138003
GolfWRX Likes : 157

Posted 10 June 2018 - 06:44 AM

some shots good some bad, hard to figure

#8 naval2006

naval2006

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 797 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 265866
  • Handicap:4
GolfWRX Likes : 318

Posted 10 June 2018 - 09:51 AM

View PostMatchplay10033, on 09 June 2018 - 10:19 AM, said:

Recently joined a country club and the last few weeks have started playing with a new group of guys.  They all shoot in the low 70's and are very consistent.   My problem is even though I was playing decent golf for me I am still getting my rear handed to me most rounds.  I am growing completely frustrated with my game and recently started to regress.  I am on the range and short game every every second I have free trying to catch these guys and it doesn't seem to work.  Has anyone experienced anything similar and  what are some suggestions to start enjoying this stupid game.

Do you play like your buddies but are in a slump?  Or are you simply under their level because of background?  If the latter, trying to catch up can be frustrating. Especially if there’s a big difference in your game and theirs.  By putting too much pressure you won’t find a solution. I guess you should stop trying to compete against players that are not at your level and if you’re a good pal they’ll playwith you and get used to you and your game. Playing good golf helps a lot to fit in. But most people don’t play well and they will fit ok anyway.   If a partner is repectful, keeps the pace of play and is sociable enough to handle a round, you have a guy to play again with.

#9 BB28403

BB28403

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,246 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 369711
GolfWRX Likes : 296

Posted 10 June 2018 - 11:17 AM

Go get fit for Miuras .  Problem solved

#10 Matchplay10033

Matchplay10033

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 558 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2018 - 11:34 AM

View Postnaval2006, on 10 June 2018 - 09:51 AM, said:

Do you play like your buddies but are in a slump?  Or are you simply under their level because of background?  If the latter, trying to catch up can be frustrating. Especially if thereís a big difference in your game and theirs.  By putting too much pressure you wonít find a solution. I guess you should stop trying to compete against players that are not at your level and if youíre a good pal theyíll playwith you and get used to you and your game. Playing good golf helps a lot to fit in. But most people donít play well and they will fit ok anyway.   If a partner is repectful, keeps the pace of play and is sociable enough to handle a round, you have a guy to play again with.

On other courses I have beaten them.  Before I joined the country club we would meet once a week and play money matches.   They were competitive but it seems like in the last month they have gotten much better and I'm getting worse.   I seriously went away for a week on vacation.   Came back and joined the club... and our first round I played decent and shot an 82.  They all were in the low 70's.  Next round.. same... every so often one of them plays bad and reaches my level.  I think I need a few solo rounds on my own to work on stuff.  It seems like every day I'm playing in some match

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#11 otto6457

otto6457

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 559 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 22189
  • Handicap:.4
GolfWRX Likes : 59

Posted 10 June 2018 - 12:15 PM

Have you identified what you consider to be your "inconsistent" results?  Missing the sweet spot?  Two way misses?  Distance control?  Short game?  Putting?  Have you kept stats?  Without some metric to compare your play against, how do you quantify your level of consistency?  "Consistency" in golf is a nebulous term that gets tossed around a lot without any real definition.  PGA pros as a group are not particularly consistent round to round.  Just check on the scores of those that miss the cut every week.  Consistency should be viewed as a trend.  Am I better in GIR's over an entire season?  Are my strokes gained on the putting green trending up or down over 6 weeks?  A few bad rounds against some guys at a new course is not much of a trend, and neither is the fact that you have beaten them before.  A long term view of "consistency" with the numbers to back it up is really the only true method of judging your current trend.

Have you made a swing change or equipment change.  Have you been injured?  Preoccupied with work or family?  Almost anything can effect your short term scoring on the golf course.  It's really hard to make any sort of judgement on short term results, and in fact can make your consistency even worse if you incorrectly identify some supposed "cause".  Just the internal belief that you're suddenly "inconsistent" can make you inconsistent.

My .02.  Just step back and take a breath.  Take a long view of your game.  A little break from money matches is probably in order.  If you still feel like your game has some glaring issues make a plan to address them and get to work.

#12 naval2006

naval2006

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 797 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 265866
  • Handicap:4
GolfWRX Likes : 318

Posted 10 June 2018 - 12:42 PM

View PostMatchplay10033, on 10 June 2018 - 11:34 AM, said:

Do you play like your buddies but are in a slump?  Or are you simply under their level because of background?  If the latter, trying to catch up can be frustrating. Especially if there’s a big difference in your game and theirs.  By putting too much pressure you won’t find a solution. I guess you should stop trying to compete against players that are not at your level and if you’re a good pal they’ll playwith you and get used to you and your game. Playing good golf helps a lot to fit in. But most people don’t play well and they will fit ok anyway.   If a partner is repectful, keeps the pace of play and is sociable enough to handle a round, you have a guy to play again with.

On other courses I have beaten them.  Before I joined the country club we would meet once a week and play money matches.   They were competitive but it seems like in the last month they have gotten much better and I'm getting worse.   I seriously went away for a week on vacation.   Came back and joined the club... and our first round I played decent and shot an 82.  They all were in the low 70's.  Next round.. same... every so often one of them plays bad and reaches my level.  I think I need a few solo rounds on my own to work on stuff.  It seems like every day I'm playing in some match

So it looks like a self confidence issue. Perhaps you shouldn’t get fixated on technical aspects. It happens when you play with some guy you know that you have this “I can’t beat him feeling”. You’ll get over it as you play more and more with them. Make sure to get the strokes arranged on the first tee, though.

#13 RobS14526

RobS14526

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 856 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 46211
GolfWRX Likes : 383

Posted 10 June 2018 - 01:08 PM

View PostMatchplay10033, on 10 June 2018 - 11:34 AM, said:

Keep playing in one regular game per week so you don’t seem antisocial at the new club. Spend the rest of your time going out as a single and figure some things out. It will come around or you will be competitive due to your higher handicap ;-). It also might be a great opportunity to work with your new pro.

#14 BB28403

BB28403

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,246 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 369711
GolfWRX Likes : 296

Posted 10 June 2018 - 01:37 PM

You know reading further about how you beat them on other courses.  It feels like a mental problem.  Maybe just relax and worry about your game and not theirs.  The New item in the equation is that you joined this club.  Therefore somehow this club is stressing you to perform.  Bragging rights?  Club champion?  I say relax and forget you are at a club.  Go offsite again with the group sometimes.

#15 mgoblue83

mgoblue83

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 465986
  • Handicap:6
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 10 June 2018 - 06:03 PM

Are your good shots good enough?

If so - just keep playing and focus on a positive strike (instead of swinging with fear) each shot.

If not - put more time into fitness, practice, lessons, and possibly equipment changes.

I had a similar experience last summer when I started playing with a new group of guys. I was scoring decently well and was even beating them sometimes but I just could not strike the ball or hit the shots that they could. I know everyone says the score is all that matters but it was incredibly frustrating to shoot a good score but be 30 yards behind them off the tee and hitting thin/low iron shots to the front of the green all day. I put in a huge amount of work on fitness over the winter and so far this season the scores aren't much different but I'm no longer frustrated because I'm hitting the types of shots I want. Making par with a crushed drive and a high, flushed iron shot is so much more satisfying than making par with a weak drive, mishit iron shot and getting up and down.

#16 RobertBaron

RobertBaron

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 532 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 348489
GolfWRX Likes : 347

Posted 10 June 2018 - 10:09 PM

Sounds like youíre in your head.

(Secretly) shotgun a beer before you tee off and swing away.

Itís just golf.

Edited by RobertBaron, 10 June 2018 - 10:10 PM.

#17 Nykt1000

Nykt1000

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 437812
GolfWRX Likes : 33

Posted 10 June 2018 - 10:44 PM

I'm facing the same performance issues as you at my home course. I haven't been able to break 90 in like 20 months...

Decided I needed to change things up a bit and played 9 holes at another course twice last week. Ended up with 2 9hole personal bests with a 40 and 37.

Maybe you should take some time away from playing your home course and play other courses for a couple weeks.

#18 Matchplay10033

Matchplay10033

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 558 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2018 - 06:04 AM

I think it is my outlook as well. I have a day off today and a few weeks ago when I was having fun i could not wait to go to the club on a Monday and play.   As I am sitting here I am thinking about the last few crap rounds and it seems like a hassle for me to even go to the course. I am heading out of town tonight for work and wont be back until Thursday.   Maybe having 4 days of no golf will help.

#19 Matchplay10033

Matchplay10033

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 558 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2018 - 06:11 AM

View PostBB28403, on 10 June 2018 - 01:37 PM, said:

You know reading further about how you beat them on other courses.  It feels like a mental problem.  Maybe just relax and worry about your game and not theirs.  The New item in the equation is that you joined this club.  Therefore somehow this club is stressing you to perform.  Bragging rights?  Club champion?  I say relax and forget you are at a club.  Go offsite again with the group sometimes.

This club has always been in my head.  As a Junior and high school player i would never play well there.    I would play it maybe 5 times a year and it was always intimidating.   Part of my reason for joining was to play this course and improve my overall game lol.

#20 OakLawnGolfPro

OakLawnGolfPro

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 486006
  • Handicap:0
  • Ebay ID:scottwhogan
GolfWRX Likes : 23

Posted 11 June 2018 - 07:36 AM

Typical problem in golf, the thought that lower scores come from better swings.  In reality, players that get good, they track their stats (not GIRs).  They define an appropriate scoring zone then get good inside of it.  Really simple but will never be the cool way to go about it.  I’d start with, players in the 70s get up and down way more than 80s players, so I’d examine why you aren’t making up and downs?

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#21 3eagles18

3eagles18

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 835 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 40317
GolfWRX Likes : 203

Posted 11 June 2018 - 08:10 AM

I had the same problem. You need to break down the course hole-by-hole. The good news is with your club membership you can go out whenever you want.

Solution: For a week or two go out early or after hours. Play 3 holes and drop a few balls. No putting. Take notes. You will quickly learn your way around.

Do the same for putting. Take notes. It won’t take long to learn and get your confidence back.

#22 MelloYello

MelloYello

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,478 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 152687
GolfWRX Likes : 1130

Posted 11 June 2018 - 10:07 AM

Keep in mind that you aren’t going to “take time away.” People say that all the time but they rarely do it, unless they play solely by themselves. As soon as someone invites you to play, you’re going to go. A couple years ago I was having a rough time and said to myself, ‘I’m just going to quit until I really feel like I want to do this.’ Fast forward 2 weeks and I was on a trip home to see family and playing golf with an old friend. What was I going to do, say no to his offer?

Point is, you’re not really as in control as you think. If you have playing partners they’re going to expect you to be there. And you’re going to honor those commitments. So you need to make a real plan to solve your problems. And take it from someone who did walk away. It doesn’t really solve anything. At some point you’re going to come back and at that point you’re going to have to face (and resolve) your issues.

If it’s short game or putting that’s the problem, spending time with those clubs and getting acclimated to them usually does it. Once you can reliably hit your wedges, they become fun to practice. Putting is the same way. The better you get, the more you don’t mind practicing and getting good is usually just spending time with the club in your hands. It’s one of those, ‘the more you practice, the luckier you get’ sort of things.

If it’s the long game that’s letting you down, you might need to be more proactive.

If your long game is in the toilet, you need to take a few lessons. I’m blown away at how many people write off lessons as “too expensive.” Yet those people are all over GolfWRX in their free time. And let’s not even talk about how much money is spent altogether. It’s kind of like generosity. It's helps to remind yourself that it's never a bad thing. Nobody ever sat there on their deathbed thinking, ‘I was just too gosh darn generous!’ ;)

I highly doubt that looking back you’re going to be shooting yourself for investing a few hundred bucks in some actual lessons. But what would future you say about beating balls? Or getting frustrated? Or walking away because it got too hard?

I read all the time that it’s too expensive and yet every serious player has worked (and probably still does) with an instructor of sorts. It’s imperative. Golf isn’t like learning a musical instrument. It’s far harder in my experience. To make any sort of real progress over a reasonable amount of time (1-2 years) you need to have help.

Good golf doesn’t just come as a matter of course. For instance, if you get really into learning the guitar for a couple years, you’ll naturally improve to the point that you attain appreciable competence. You’ll play songs. You’ll develop familiarity with the instrument. But playing a ton of golf doesn’t really get you beyond shooting about 90. That’s what most “enthusiasts” seem to average and that’s the level of golf you’re unlikely to get past without help from a real instructor.

I think the real reason most people don’t take lessons isn’t the cost. It’s that they believe they’re smarter than the local pro, at least insofar as it comes to analyzing their own swing. ’Why spend a dime when I can figure it all out myself!?’ You might be right, but in most places the local pro is a stick that knows what he/she is doing and has coached many high-level players. At the very least, most can look at your swing and point out 2 or 3 major flaws that you yourself can’t see.

Point is, you never know what resources you have until you investigate.

Reading a golf forum and having a subscription to Golf Digest definitely makes you smarter but it does not necessarily mean you understand your swing well enough to fix your own problems.

Edited by MelloYello, 11 June 2018 - 10:10 AM.

A set of golf clubs.
That one
This one
Those others
A putter
You know

#23 Matchplay10033

Matchplay10033

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 558 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2018 - 12:01 PM

MelloYello, on 11 June 2018 - 10:07 AM, said:

Keep in mind that you arenít going to ďtake time away.Ē People say that all the time but they rarely do it, unless they play solely by themselves. As soon as someone invites you to play, youíre going to go. A couple years ago I was having a rough time and said to myself, ĎIím just going to quit until I really feel like I want to do this.í Fast forward 2 weeks and I was on a trip home to see family and playing golf with an old friend. What was I going to do, say no to his offer?

Point is, youíre not really as in control as you think. If you have playing partners theyíre going to expect you to be there. And youíre going to honor those commitments. So you need to make a real plan to solve your problems. And take it from someone who did walk away. It doesnít really solve anything. At some point youíre going to come back and at that point youíre going to have to face (and resolve) your issues.

If itís short game or putting thatís the problem, spending time with those clubs and getting acclimated to them usually does it. Once you can reliably hit your wedges, they become fun to practice. Putting is the same way. The better you get, the more you donít mind practicing and getting good is usually just spending time with the club in your hands. Itís one of those, Ďthe more you practice, the luckier you getí sort of things.

If itís the long game thatís letting you down, you might need to be more proactive.

If your long game is in the toilet, you need to take a few lessons. Iím blown away at how many people write off lessons as ďtoo expensive.Ē Yet those people are all over GolfWRX in their free time. And letís not even talk about how much money is spent altogether. Itís kind of like generosity. It's helps to remind yourself that it's never a bad thing. Nobody ever sat there on their deathbed thinking, ĎI was just too gosh darn generous!í ;)

I highly doubt that looking back youíre going to be shooting yourself for investing a few hundred bucks in some actual lessons. But what would future you say about beating balls? Or getting frustrated? Or walking away because it got too hard?

I read all the time that itís too expensive and yet every serious player has worked (and probably still does) with an instructor of sorts. Itís imperative. Golf isnít like learning a musical instrument. Itís far harder in my experience. To make any sort of real progress over a reasonable amount of time (1-2 years) you need to have help.

Good golf doesnít just come as a matter of course. For instance, if you get really into learning the guitar for a couple years, youíll naturally improve to the point that you attain appreciable competence. Youíll play songs. Youíll develop familiarity with the instrument. But playing a ton of golf doesnít really get you beyond shooting about 90. Thatís what most ďenthusiastsĒ seem to average and thatís the level of golf youíre unlikely to get past without help from a real instructor.

I think the real reason most people donít take lessons isnít the cost. Itís that they believe theyíre smarter than the local pro, at least insofar as it comes to analyzing their own swing. íWhy spend a dime when I can figure it all out myself!?í You might be right, but in most places the local pro is a stick that knows what he/she is doing and has coached many high-level players. At the very least, most can look at your swing and point out 2 or 3 major flaws that you yourself canít see.

Point is, you never know what resources you have until you investigate.

Reading a golf forum and having a subscription to Golf Digest definitely makes you smarter but it does not necessarily mean you understand your swing well enough to fix your own problems.

I have taken lessons... over a thousand dollars in the last two years.  Which has worked and made me a better player but also amplifies mey absolute frustration when I'm getting pounded by guys that never did and my game gets lost .  Then at the peak of my frustration Im almost losing to my buddy that's broken 90 once in his life.

#24 MelloYello

MelloYello

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,478 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2018 - 12:18 PM

Matchplay10033, on 11 June 2018 - 12:01 PM, said:

I have taken lessons... over a thousand dollars in the last two years.  Which has worked and made me a better player but also amplifies mey absolute frustration when I'm getting pounded by guys that never did and my game gets lost .  Then at the peak of my frustration Im almost losing to my buddy that's broken 90 once in his life.

Well, first off, if you have put $1k into lessons you should have a head start. You should have things to work on. I'm talking drills. You should know what your fundamental issues are and should have some way of addressing those. If you sunk $1k into lessons and didn't come away with anything, that's a learning experience. Don't do that again.

That said, let's put aside what your buddies are shooting. Nobody here cares about that. If they're in the 70s, then they're solid tee-to-green.

What's holding you back? What are your real problems? Don't give me anecdotes. Don't tell me about one hole you played that went from bad to worse. Just tell me honestly what needs to change about your game. If you're shooting 90, I'm guessing that either your long game stinks or your short game sucks. Which is it?

Edited by MelloYello, 11 June 2018 - 12:19 PM.

A set of golf clubs.
That one
This one
Those others
A putter
You know

#25 KC13

KC13

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 360243
GolfWRX Likes : 95

Posted 11 June 2018 - 12:31 PM

Take a few days off and let the body / mind settle.  Too many swing thoughts at once can stress the swing.  I've done this countless times and coming to realize as I progress in this game of golf, you just gotta take a day or two off without golf in the mind.  But to each is own, golf is hard!

- KC

You must attain a neurological and biological serenity in chaos.  You cannot let yourself be sabotaged by adrenaline.  

- Mac.

#26 JonPacNW

JonPacNW

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 470810
GolfWRX Likes : 16

Posted 11 June 2018 - 01:29 PM

If you're going to lose the next few rounds anyway, here's what you do.

Give yourself a secret generous handicap that you track on a separate score card or just hole-by-hole mentally. Your buddies will be seeing your pars and bogeys, and you'll be thinking "net birdie, and net par" in your head on the holes that you've given yourself an extra stroke. Then you'll realize you're actually beating when your handicap is factored in. Then, start making your shot selections like you already have a stroke to spare. You'll stop playing match play for no reason and start playing stroke play. You'll get up and down more, you'll find more fairways, and maybe you'll get your game back on track.

Another note is that sometimes we just have bad seasons. I had a horrible season last year, and I ended up completely taking my driver out of my bag to try to turn it around. I played one round with nothing longer than a 5 iron. And I managed to turn things around quite nicely. Frustration and competition aren't going to help you get out of a funk, but changing things up in odd and sometimes radical ways could actually help. In fact, you could come out the best golfer of your buddies if you use this time to really change your game up.

Finally, don't say you don't like the course. If you actually didn't like it, you never would've joined (despite where your friends joined). Conquer the holes that give you grief by playing them with a different strategy.

#27 60degreelobwedge

60degreelobwedge

• Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 375566
GolfWRX Likes : 8

Posted 11 June 2018 - 02:02 PM

You are taking it too seriously and getting lost in your head.  Go out by yourself and don't keep score.  Or play from the lady's tees and see how well you can do.  Forget swing thoughts or mechanics and lessons, just focus on relaxing and swinging smooth and having fun until you get your game back.

#28 Ri_Redneck

Ri_Redneck

Leather for Life!!

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 4,916 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 31808
  • Ebay ID:RI_Redneck
GolfWRX Likes : 1379

Posted 11 June 2018 - 02:12 PM

Matchplay10033, on 10 June 2018 - 11:34 AM, said:

naval2006, on 10 June 2018 - 09:51 AM, said:

Matchplay10033, on 09 June 2018 - 10:19 AM, said:

This leads me to think their course knowledge is the key. Most long-time mbers know the break on every green and all they have to concern themselves with is pace. They also know where to miss and it will seem like they are always lucking out while you're in trouble. It doesn't seem like they're better ball strikers, just have better course knowledge. Get intimate with your new course by making your own yardage book and green info.

BT
DR #1. RED Amp Cell Pro w/ ATX Red 65 TX 44.5",
DR #2. BLUE Bio Cell Pro w/ ATX Blue 75 X 44.5"
DR #3. WHITE Fly-Z+ w/ Kiyoshi White 75 S 44.5"
DR #4. King LTD Black w/ SpeedrulZ Type A 70 S 44.5"
DR #5. F7 standard w/ Aldila X-Torsion Orange 70 X 44.5" (weights-12H,15B & 2F. TW 210)
RED Bio Cell 3-4 W/ 7Q3 S, BLUE King F6 3-4 w/ Speeder 757 BO Ltd., WHITE Fly-Z 3-4 w/ Speeder 757 US Open Ltd
RED AC 3-4 w/ 7Q3 S, LTD Black 3-4 w/ Rip Beta 80 S - All at 43"
BLUE Bio Cell 5-7 w/ Speeder 757 S British Open LTD, RED Amp Cell 5-7 w/ 8Q3 S, WHITE Fly-Z 5-7 Fubuki Alpha 80 X, LTD Black 4-5 w/ Rip beta 80 S - All at 42"
Cobra Amp Cell Pro 4-pw Aldila Rip Tour 115 R
Mizuno MP4 4-pw Matrix Program 130 S
Mizuno MP15 4-PW Aldila Rip Tour 115 R
Mizuno MP25 4-PW Recoil Proto 125 F4
Mizuno MP-T5 52-8, 56-12 & 60-8 satin & black
PT#1 Natural Touch Macassar Ebony (rotate)
PT#2 Natural Touch Afzelia Burl (rotate)
PT#3 Natural Touch Bolivian Rosewood (rotate)

#29 Matchplay10033

Matchplay10033

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 558 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2018 - 07:19 AM

JonPacNW, on 11 June 2018 - 01:29 PM, said:

If you're going to lose the next few rounds anyway, here's what you do.

Give yourself a secret generous handicap that you track on a separate score card or just hole-by-hole mentally. Your buddies will be seeing your pars and bogeys, and you'll be thinking "net birdie, and net par" in your head on the holes that you've given yourself an extra stroke. Then you'll realize you're actually beating when your handicap is factored in. Then, start making your shot selections like you already have a stroke to spare. You'll stop playing match play for no reason and start playing stroke play. You'll get up and down more, you'll find more fairways, and maybe you'll get your game back on track.

Another note is that sometimes we just have bad seasons. I had a horrible season last year, and I ended up completely taking my driver out of my bag to try to turn it around. I played one round with nothing longer than a 5 iron. And I managed to turn things around quite nicely. Frustration and competition aren't going to help you get out of a funk, but changing things up in odd and sometimes radical ways could actually help. In fact, you could come out the best golfer of your buddies if you use this time to really change your game up.

Finally, don't say you don't like the course. If you actually didn't like it, you never would've joined (despite where your friends joined). Conquer the holes that give you grief by playing them with a different strategy.

I absolutely love the course !   It is just brutal !  I hate to say it but I am realizing my game is completely reliant on my driver.   While in the hotel room these last two nights i thought about my bad rounds and it is when I am off with my driver.   I I have always been a very long hitter... Driver, wedges or driver mid-upper irons into par 5's.   Ultimately the rest of my game is weak.   If the driver is not working I am a weak iron player and this turns my par's /birdies into Bogey's or worse.  These guys are just grinders... they rarely are out of play and when they do screw up they can knock an iron close and make a par or bogey at worst.   It is probably safe to say I am actually nowhere near as good all around as these guys BUT when my driver is on it masks my weaknesses.

#30 MelloYello

MelloYello

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,478 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2018 - 08:21 AM

Matchplay10033, on 13 June 2018 - 07:19 AM, said:

I absolutely love the course !   It is just brutal !  I hate to say it but I am realizing my game is completely reliant on my driver.   While in the hotel room these last two nights i thought about my bad rounds and it is when I am off with my driver.   I I have always been a very long hitter... Driver, wedges or driver mid-upper irons into par 5's.   Ultimately the rest of my game is weak.   If the driver is not working I am a weak iron player and this turns my par's /birdies into Bogey's or worse.  These guys are just grinders... they rarely are out of play and when they do screw up they can knock an iron close and make a par or bogey at worst.   It is probably safe to say I am actually nowhere near as good all around as these guys BUT when my driver is on it masks my weaknesses.

You know, that's kind of a revelation that we should all keep in mind! I think that describes my game and I bet it describes that of about 99% of the folks reading your post here.

People have to keep in mind that golf doesn't uniformly respect each shot. They all count the same on the scorecard, but certain ones carry way more risk than the others. You aren't going to chip the ball OB. You're not going to putt it into deep rough.

The closer we are to the hole the more chance we have of holing out. So of course, we can quickly add additional strokes by missing those short putts for instance. But the further we are from the hole, the greater the chance we have getting way out of position. For the amateur that results in a blow-up, because as you point out, most folks don't have the ability to hit an unbelievable recovery shot on command.

So, I agree. I think it's a lesson for everyone. Driving is the single most important aspect of the long game.  

Every time you drive the ball long and in the fairway, you've successfully avoided all the possible negative outcomes that would've  added additional stress to the following shots and possibly led to a blow up score.

A set of golf clubs.
That one
This one
Those others
A putter
You know

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors