Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Current Gamers - Have Been Since 2000

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 801

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 246 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 2300
GolfWRX Likes : 49

Posted 06 June 2018 - 01:20 PM

Until I find a set of irons that feels better and performs better, these are still my gamers. Tried every MP, CB, TP out there. Nothing comes close. You'll note the modern driver, hybrid, Vokey and hidden Scotty in there .... but these irons? Not going anywhere.  Just thought I'd share. Ordered these direct from Ft Worth TX in the year 2000.  My local shop got a set in and the pro displayed them in a Hogan staff bag right in the middle of the floor.  I was smitten.

Attached File  99apex1.jpg   26.05K   24 downloads

Attached File  99apex2.jpg   31.59K   23 downloads

Attached File  99apex3.jpg   36.4K   22 downloads

Attached File  99apex4.jpg   29.53K   22 downloads

Attached File  99apex5.jpg   28.13K   23 downloads

Attached File  99apex6.jpg   21.36K   21 downloads

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#2 bobbydazzlewazzler

bobbydazzlewazzler

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 217 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 345271
  • Handicap:11
GolfWRX Likes : 211

Posted 06 June 2018 - 02:01 PM

Such a solid set of irons. I won an invitation day playing these last year and hit some soaring 4 and 5 irons into pins from way back that i really have no business doing.. Ive got the same event on sat and am torn between playing some “more forgiving” clubs (MP64’s) or take these beasts out again to defend my title.. also watching a set of 2-PW heads on the bay.. what shaft could you pair them with other than apex 4’s though?

#3 801

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 246 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 2300
GolfWRX Likes : 49

Posted 06 June 2018 - 03:07 PM

The 99 Hogan Apex truly responds to shaft experimentation.  I ordered these custom from Hogan with Rifle 5.0's.  Then over the years have installed DG SL's, DG standards, C-tapers, Tour-V's and yes, even an original era-correct (from 2001) set of Apex 4's.  I am currently playing the new Dynamic Gold 105's in them.  I hate to admit it .. but this iron performs and feels best with the Dynamic Gold shafts. Dynamic Gold SL's were good ... Dynamic Gold S300's were better .... current DG 105s are simply incredible.  Don't know why ... but that's just the way it is.  I've personally kept Cell Parts in business ordering double-red ringed ferrules from them over the years.  I'm telling you, the feel of these irons is just on a whole different level than anything EVER offered .... which allows one to truly assess the differences in feel and playability with different iron shafts.

#4 Swingingk

Swingingk

Advanced

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 353 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 114135
GolfWRX Likes : 364

Posted 07 June 2018 - 12:24 AM

That sure is a nice outfit you have there, and I'm glad to hear they've worked out so well for you over that many years.  I guess I'm going to have to finally break down and get a set for myself.  I've got a set of Edge irons with Apex 4's that are just waiting for better heads.  

One of my golf buddies (the lowest handicap one btw) has been continually playing a 2-pw set of Wilson Buttonback re-issues with Firestick shafts since he bought them new in the early 90's.  He talks a lot about getting something new but but never does.  He just keeps bringing out those sweet old blades and throwing darts with them.  It's beautiful to watch him use them.  One time years ago he and I were playing the local muni he grew up on and were coming in on 18 and he hits a gorgeous 5-iron from about 190 out.  It sticks to the hard little green and rolls to about 10 feet.  One of the old timer groundskeeper guys steps out from behind a bush and says, all mellow like, "Nice ball flight", then ambles off.  Damn straight brother.  For some reason I remember that moment fairly often.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors