Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Best combination of distance & spin

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 MelloYello

MelloYello

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,475 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 152687
GolfWRX Likes : 1127

Posted 06 June 2018 - 09:30 AM

I've been playing nothing but aftermarket ProV1's for the last few years and recent I tried a 2-piece Callaway and was blown away by how glorious it made my irons look. It was easy to compress. It felt buttery soft. It launched high. And moreover, it went at least 10 yards further.

Don't get me wrong, I like having a "tour" ball around the green, but the advantages of the 2-piece balls seem utterly ridiculous.

So, is this merely an issue with the "tour" balls being harder to compress? If so, what are my best options for combining distance with spin?

A set of golf clubs.
That one
This one
Those others
A putter
You know

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#2 lenman73

lenman73

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 609 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 83832
GolfWRX Likes : 404

Posted 06 June 2018 - 11:30 AM

I dont know if this will help you or not but last week I played a round with wilson duo urethane. They were soft, almost to the point to where they felt like they were going no where on a few drives but the ball ended up further down the fairway than I had been in years. A couple days later I switched drivers and got to "feel" the ball a little more, but again the distance was still there.  I was left amazed and happy.

#3 BiggErn

BiggErn

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 649 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 479312
GolfWRX Likes : 338

Posted 06 June 2018 - 06:41 PM

MelloYello, on 06 June 2018 - 09:30 AM, said:

I've been playing nothing but aftermarket ProV1's for the last few years and recent I tried a 2-piece Callaway and was blown away by how glorious it made my irons look. It was easy to compress. It felt buttery soft. It launched high. And moreover, it went at least 10 yards further.

Don't get me wrong, I like having a "tour" ball around the green, but the advantages of the 2-piece balls seem utterly ridiculous.

So, is this merely an issue with the "tour" balls being harder to compress? If so, what are my best options for combining distance with spin?

Sounds like you were hitting a marshmallow SuperSoft or something similar. What’s utterly ridiculous is when you hit a wedge or short iron with one of these and if flies 20 yards over your target because they have virtually zero spin, you get flyers from perfect lies. Not sure what the hang up is on “compressing” but tour balls are firm with a softish urethane cover and aren’t meant to compress much they are meant to spin. The more a ball “compresses” the less it spins.

#4 Justsomeguy

Justsomeguy

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 522 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 412064
  • Handicap:15
GolfWRX Likes : 199

Posted 06 June 2018 - 06:51 PM

Of the ones I've tried, the TP5 is probably the most well-rounded ball out there.
Titleist 915D3 9.5*, Diamana S+ Blue 60, R, @10.25*
Titleist 915F 15* Diamana S+ Blue 70, R
Titleist 915H 20* Diamana S+ Blue 70, R
Titleist 716 AP1 4-W52, Kuro Kage Tini 65, S
Cleveland CBX, 56*/12, Rotex Graphite Wedge Flex
Nike Method Core MC 03w

#5 msg

msg

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 204 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 311243
  • Handicap:8
GolfWRX Likes : 58

Posted 06 June 2018 - 08:04 PM

BiggErn, on 06 June 2018 - 06:41 PM, said:

Sounds like you were hitting a marshmallow SuperSoft or something similar. What’s utterly ridiculous is when you hit a wedge or short iron with one of these and if flies 20 yards over your target because they have virtually zero spin, you get flyers from perfect lies. Not sure what the hang up is on “compressing” but tour balls are firm with a softish urethane cover and aren’t meant to compress much they are meant to spin. The more a ball “compresses” the less it spins.

I have no problem holding greens with Callaway Supersoft. :D They don't go over 20 yards nor do they have zero spin at least in my experience. I also play Chromesoft every now and then and used to play Prov1. I enjoy the Supersoft more for some reason.

You should check the review of Rick Shiels or Mark Crossfield, that also had no issues spinning the Supersoft.

To the OP, I used to play Prov1 but I play Supersofts now most of the time. I enjoy playing with them more.

Edited by msg, 06 June 2018 - 08:14 PM.

#6 BiggErn

BiggErn

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 649 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2018 - 08:21 PM

msg, on 06 June 2018 - 08:04 PM, said:

I have no problem holding greens with Callaway Supersoft. :D They don't go over 20 yards nor do they have zero spin at least in my experience. I also play Chromesoft every now and then and used to play Prov1. I enjoy the Supersoft more for some reason.

You should check the review of Rick Shiels or Mark Crossfield, that also had no issues spinning the Supersoft.

To the OP, I used to play Prov1 but I play Supersofts now most of the time. I enjoy playing with them more.

Not a fan of either especially Crossfield. I’ll take stock in my own experience and more legit reviews. I guess they’ll work for lower swing speeds but they’re not spinning regardless. I’ve personally experienced the flyer shots with the SuperSoft  and so have many others. Hitting a 9 iron 170 yards is cool but not if you intended for it to go 150.

#7 msg

msg

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 204 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 311243
  • Handicap:8
GolfWRX Likes : 58

Posted 06 June 2018 - 09:24 PM

BiggErn, on 06 June 2018 - 08:21 PM, said:

Not a fan of either especially Crossfield. I’ll take stock in my own experience and more legit reviews. I guess they’ll work for lower swing speeds but they’re not spinning regardless. I’ve personally experienced the flyer shots with the SuperSoft  and so have many others. Hitting a 9 iron 170 yards is cool but not if you intended for it to go 150.

Oh you played with the Supersoft I see. Ok, fair enough. :)

Yeah, I see what you mean, that will really mess you up when that happens.

Edited by msg, 06 June 2018 - 09:25 PM.

#8 golfgirlrobin

golfgirlrobin

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,899 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 247221
  • Handicap:2.0
GolfWRX Likes : 4126

Posted 06 June 2018 - 09:31 PM

I played the SS for a few years and never got the magical extra 20 yards.  I’m a morning player and never had trouble holding greens with it, perhaps because greens are more receptive early.  

I do think it was a bit longer than the Chrome Soft I play now, but on the small greens I play, the extra control of the CS is more important.
Driver:     Ping G400 Max 10.5*
Fairway:  Callaway Rogue 15*, 20* & 24*
Irons:       TaylorMade M4 6-SW. (Tensei Blue)
Wedges:  Callaway PM Grind 58* & 64*
Putter:      Cure RX4 Red

#9 1Mordrid1

1Mordrid1

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 284 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 494342
  • Handicap:8.4
GolfWRX Likes : 147

Posted 06 June 2018 - 10:19 PM

Have to believe it was a combination of a less than stellar strike with the ball to get a perfect lie jumper.

Supersofts do not spin like a tour style 3 or 4 layer ball, but they can spin more than some straight distance balls like the titleist velocity. And like some of the other "soft" 2 piece balls, the higher ball flight can provide plenty of stopping power.
WITB

Callaway Rogue driver w/ Oban Tour Limited 4 60
Taylormade R15 3 wood w/ Kurocage 60 tini s
Nike Sasquatch Sumo #2 & #4 hybrids w/ H Diamana s
Ping G700 5-UW AWT 2.0(1°flat, 2° weak)
Callaway Mack Daddy PM grind 56 /KBS Tour V
Callaway Mack Daddy PM grind 60/KBS Tour V
Scotty Cameron Select Fastback
Team Effort Collegiate TCU bag
Q Star Tour

#10 BiggErn

BiggErn

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 649 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2018 - 10:36 PM

1Mordrid1, on 06 June 2018 - 10:19 PM, said:

Have to believe it was a combination of a less than stellar strike with the ball to get a perfect lie jumper.

Supersofts do not spin like a tour style 3 or 4 layer ball, but they can spin more than some straight distance balls like the titleist velocity. And like some of the other "soft" 2 piece balls, the higher ball flight can provide plenty of stopping power.

You would believe wrong. Twice on par 3s and at least twice from the fairway. All were perfect contact and center strikes. Par 3 playing almost 150 so I hit a 9 iron right at the pin only to watch it sail 20 yards over. Another par 3 about 130, hit pw, way over the green. SW from 90 yards, over the green but only about 10 yards. That was enough for me. If you have any kind of swing speed and make solid contact this ball will fly forever with short clubs. I had read reviews before trying and dug deeper after trying to see my results were common. There’s not much difference spin wise between Velocity and SuperSoft and both are on the very bottom of the chart. You’d be hard pressed to find 5 balls that spin less.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#11 noodle3872

noodle3872

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,822 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 8163
  • Handicap:8.3
  • Ebay ID:Noodle3872
GolfWRX Likes : 538

Posted 06 June 2018 - 10:52 PM

TP5 is a very good ball. The Project A is a good mid-price ball that is softer compression.

#12 Justsomeguy

Justsomeguy

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 522 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 412064
  • Handicap:15
GolfWRX Likes : 199

Posted 06 June 2018 - 11:48 PM

You have a 20 yard gap bt your 9i and pw?
My gaps are around 10, and probably less in the shorter irons, except for my 56, which I hit super high and lose distance with.
Titleist 915D3 9.5*, Diamana S+ Blue 60, R, @10.25*
Titleist 915F 15* Diamana S+ Blue 70, R
Titleist 915H 20* Diamana S+ Blue 70, R
Titleist 716 AP1 4-W52, Kuro Kage Tini 65, S
Cleveland CBX, 56*/12, Rotex Graphite Wedge Flex
Nike Method Core MC 03w

#13 BiggErn

BiggErn

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 649 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2018 - 12:24 AM

Justsomeguy, on 06 June 2018 - 11:48 PM, said:

You have a 20 yard gap bt your 9i and pw?
My gaps are around 10, and probably less in the shorter irons, except for my 56, which I hit super high and lose distance with.

No there was a 20 yard difference in the 2 holes, duh. Both of which the club I chose shouldn’t have been long, especially excessively long.

#14 JStan81

JStan81

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 503526
  • Handicap:9
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 07 June 2018 - 08:53 AM

Who has tried the new Titleist AVX balls and what are your thoughts on them? I prefer them over the pro v's. They seem to have a more penetrating ball off the tee for me and a little more distance with the long irons and the same great soft feel around the greens as the pro v1s.

#15 North Butte

North Butte

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,516 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 424472
GolfWRX Likes : 5901

Posted 07 June 2018 - 10:04 AM

There's a whole AVX thread you might find interesting http://www.golfwrx.c...8-titliest-avx/

For me it's much longer off the tee than ProV1x (8-10 yards) but the extra distance is all roll, carry is similar to ProV1x. Trajectory with driver and irons is lower than ProV1x, noticeably so.

Much, much lower spin off irons with the AVX. I can just about hold greens OK unless they are rock hard but iron shots that will stop inches from the ball mark with ProV1x tend to roll out a couple yards with AVX.

Similar around the greens unless you want to play a low spinner. AVX is not going to grab and dig in instantly on a low spinner unless you have immaculate technique and plenty of clubhead speed.

Everything has its drawbacks, as the man said when his mother-in-law died, and they came down upon him for the funeral expenses.

#16 NJpatbee

NJpatbee

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,369 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 266092
  • Handicap:17.5
GolfWRX Likes : 428

Posted 07 June 2018 - 11:23 AM

Staying with a 2 piece ball I would recommend the DT Trusoft.  For pure rollout distance the Softfli and Supersoft are incredible for my lower swing speed but they also rollout on the green.  For 3 piece surlyn low compression I have good performance with the Gamer Soft and e6 Soft.

#17 arbeck

arbeck

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 213 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 389274
GolfWRX Likes : 81

Posted 07 June 2018 - 11:29 AM

I'd personally suggest the Wilson Duo-U or the FG Tour. They are both really soft (the Duo is a 55 compression and the FG Tour is a 70 if I remember correctly). While that isn't quite as marshmallowy as a Supersoft or the regular Duo, I don't feel much difference off full swings. I find the Duo-U performs pretty close to the older Chromesoft (I do not like the 2018 version) around the greens and the FG Tour might as well be a Pro V1 around the greens.
Ping Traverse
King Cobra F7 10.5* w/ Mitsubishi Tensi CK Blue 60
TEE E8 4W, 7W
Mizuno JPX-900 Hot Metal 5-SW w/ Veylix Alpina 873
Cleveland Niblick 42*
TEE CB PROs 60*
Cleveland Classic HB-1

#18 Z1ggy16

Z1ggy16

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,989 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 430110
GolfWRX Likes : 1517

Posted 07 June 2018 - 11:35 AM

If you're longing for 10 more yards w your irons, strengthen the lofts of them, don't switch balls.

I don't need my 7i to carry 175 if it's going to roll out over the back of the green. I want my 7iron to stop within 10 feet or so of where it lands, and for that I need spin. Low spin balls are okay for when it's the winter and it's cold and damp because the greens are like mush, but once it gets warmer out and things firm up... no thanks.
WITB
DR - '16 M2 X-Torsion Copper 60
3W - F8 2KXV Blue 70
3h - JPX 850 Tensei Blue 80
Irons - P790 4i Modus 105, 5-PW Modus 120
GW - Cobra Trusty 50/8 Modus Wedge 115
SW - Taylormade Fe2O3 56/14 DG S200 (Cobra Trusty 54/10 Modus Wedge 115 for firm turf)
LW - Cobra Trusty 60/8 Modus Wedge 115
P - Odyssey WHP #7 (Custom Xenon on order)
Ball - Project (a)
Sun Mountain 4.5 Bag

#19 11forgedblades

11forgedblades

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 369 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 32720
GolfWRX Likes : 72

Posted 08 June 2018 - 02:01 PM

I'm a single digit HC, with swing speed around 110 mph. Lately I'm all about the TM project A. Spin is more important than distance for me (live in Colorado) and these spin like crazy. I have played the majority of my rounds the last few years with pro v1s and Z stars. These feel the same...I can't tell the difference.
COBRA BIOCELL+ DRIVER 9.5* 44.25"
-matrix red tie 8q3 stiff+ 86 grams
COBRA FLY Z+ 4/5 WOOD 17.5* 42.25"
-matrix red tie 8q3 stiff+ 86 grams
TITLEIST 585 HYBRID 21*
-tt dynamic gold s300 130 grams
COBRA FLY Z PRO IRONS 4 - GW
-kbs tour 120 stiff 2* flat 120 grams
TAYLORMADE RAC TP Z 54*,58*
-dynamic gold s300 2* flat 130 grams
BETTINARDI BABY BEN PUTTER
-33"

#20 BiggErn

BiggErn

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 649 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2018 - 03:21 PM

11forgedblades, on 08 June 2018 - 02:01 PM, said:

I'm a single digit HC, with swing speed around 110 mph. Lately I'm all about the TM project A. Spin is more important than distance for me (live in Colorado) and these spin like crazy. I have played the majority of my rounds the last few years with pro v1s and Z stars. These feel the same...I can't tell the difference.

Dick’s had a flash sale a few weeks ago and I bought a dozen of these. I played almost an entire round with them last week and they are a good ball. I normally play Chrome Soft and these are kinda comparable. The CS is a little softer and the project (a) probably spins a touch more. The seam on them stand out a bit but that’s not a huge issue unless you’re ocd.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#21 playa

playa

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,577 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 280775
GolfWRX Likes : 4095

Posted 10 June 2018 - 03:17 AM

View PostBiggErn, on 06 June 2018 - 08:21 PM, said:

View Postmsg, on 06 June 2018 - 08:04 PM, said:

View PostBiggErn, on 06 June 2018 - 06:41 PM, said:

View PostMelloYello, on 06 June 2018 - 09:30 AM, said:

I have absolutely experienced fliers with super softs and other super low compression balls like the old precept laddie. I'm not a super consistent striker but I am consistent enough to know the longest I hit my irons, and I've flown super softs 15 yards beyond that distance from the fairway. One of the main reasons I shell out for tour balls is to know how good strikes should behave, both in carry distance and after hitting the green. Nothing kills a round like watching a perfect shot fly the green and leave you dead in the rubbish behind the green.

#22 PhilBurg

PhilBurg

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 493846
  • Handicap:14
GolfWRX Likes : 13

Posted 12 June 2018 - 06:26 AM

I always felt the Titleist NXT was a very good Ball but now they discontinued it, does anybody have any suggestions for what ball compares to the Titleist NXT Tour?

Edited by PhilBurg, 12 June 2018 - 06:26 AM.

#23 BiggErn

BiggErn

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 649 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2018 - 04:34 PM

View PostPhilBurg, on 12 June 2018 - 06:26 AM, said:

I always felt the Titleist NXT was a very good Ball but now they discontinued it, does anybody have any suggestions for what ball compares to the Titleist NXT Tour?

The Titleist tour Soft is just a renamed NXT

#24 third-times-a-charm

third-times-a-charm

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 618 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 464568
GolfWRX Likes : 295

Posted 12 June 2018 - 08:36 PM

Taylormade project S
Long Live Nike

#25 baloo

baloo

A Person

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 856 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 140341
  • Handicap:2.7
  • Ebay ID:k2baloo
GolfWRX Likes : 487

Posted 12 June 2018 - 08:42 PM

I've also experienced the distance control problems with low compression balls and the random fliers from perfect lies.
That's why I never play them, but they do feel nice.

Driver, 3W, 4W - Macgregor Custom Tourney
2i-9i - 75' Custom Wilson Dynapowers
PW, SW - Wilson Staff
Putter - Bullseye

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors