Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

My C.C. always having events , course closed.

161 replies to this topic

#61 J2putts

J2putts

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 465 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 407462
  • Handicap:7.6
GolfWRX Likes : 236

Posted 27 October 2018 - 07:46 PM

Well. Over 4 months since I started the topic. Literally the last 6 weekends club has had scrambles on BOTH weekend days. On one weekend they decided to have club tournaments in the morning then have scrambles in the afternoon . Made my decision very easy. ...especially after receiving the email reminder about "cleanup day" encouraging members to help clean course up for the end of the season . I know of 2 other members who decided to leave as well.

Callaway Rogue 8.0
Callaway xr16 pro 14.0
Adams Red 18.0
Mizuno JPX 850 forged 4-PW
Callaway MD3 wedges 50,54 & 58
Odyssey Versa #9 white

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#62 NCgolf135

NCgolf135

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 507490
  • Handicap:6
GolfWRX Likes : 24

Posted 29 October 2018 - 09:26 AM

Weekend scrambles and having members clean up the course? Did they ask you all to come out and mow the fairways on monday morning also?

#63 ckay

ckay

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 14808
GolfWRX Likes : 1001

Posted 29 October 2018 - 09:31 AM

I would leave, they obviously put additional revenue ahead of those that pay dues.
Taylormade M4 440 10* Tensei White Pro 60TX
Taylormade M2 Tour 16.5* Atmos Blue 7x
Taylormade M2 L.I.F.T. 2 KBS Hybrid Proto 85x
Miura CB57 Nippon SPB X
Vokey CF 52F/56M/60M S400 Onyx
Cameron Cami & Co Newport Beach 34/350

WITB Link

#64 br61

br61

3x Hackin' Hall of Shame

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 2,432 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 49
  • Handicap:+1.2
  • Ebay ID:br-61
GolfWRX Likes : 285

Posted 29 October 2018 - 10:47 AM

View PostJ2putts, on 27 October 2018 - 07:46 PM, said:

Well. Over 4 months since I started the topic. Literally the last 6 weekends club has had scrambles on BOTH weekend days. On one weekend they decided to have club tournaments in the morning then have scrambles in the afternoon . Made my decision very easy. ...especially after receiving the email reminder about "cleanup day" encouraging members to help clean course up for the end of the season . I know of 2 other members who decided to leave as well.

My club has several scrambles or events but they try to schedule them on Mondays or Tuesdays which is fine with members. If they had outside scrambles on both weekend days for 6 weeks, there will be a munity at the club.
A bag of hacking utensils;

Titleist TS3 9.5 PX Even Flow White 6.0
Titleist 917F2 15* Diamana D+ 80 stiff
818H2 19* & 23* Atmos Blue stiff
Tour B X-CB 4-PW PX 6.0
Titleist Vokey SM7 Black 50, 54 & 60 Black Onyx TI S400
Bobby Grace LFI 45"

#65 Zac1321

Zac1321

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 512780
GolfWRX Likes : 12

Posted 29 October 2018 - 11:52 AM

Not trying to be an a****** but it seems like there is a mix of comments on the thread still interpreting this as OP being a member of a private club when it seems from context that that is not the case. Its a big pet peeve of mine that public/Semi-private courses calls it a "membership" because it can be interpreted as belonging to a truly private club (which is why they do it but still) when realistically you just are paying a set amount and in exchange get discounted greens fees and free range balls. While I think everyone agrees OP should walk away, me included, its strange to me that anyone would get so upset about how a course that they are not a member at is being run, sure it my alienate certain patrons but if they are having this many tournaments and events then they are doing fine financially. At the end of the day golf courses are businesses. To think you deserve special treatment because you bought essentially a discount card to a public course is wild.

#66 Imp

Imp

Fueled

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,446 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 130204
  • Handicap:9.2
GolfWRX Likes : 1417

Posted 29 October 2018 - 12:37 PM

The club in question used to be private. They ran into money issues and became semi-private, filled in the pool, and ... well, I think many get the picture. I play there occasionally during the season when I want to get out and there's time in golfnow.  It's a fun course though. Sad to hear they are doing this to THIS extent (I know a few that had been members there) You made the right decision in walking. While getting money in from outside sourace keeps your dues lower, what good are they when you can't even get out to play. And being a decent course, that's going to draw in the various events. No good that its filling the weekends in prime fall weather golf though.

Our selections are limited here though. Theres a handful of 'spensive have to be born into clubs (Westport area near water), there's a couple clubs that are private and almost attainable (but ding/dong the member for stupid random fees) and then there's public courses. Maybe take the drive down the road to Acushnet River Valley (funny to see the Acushnet event at Allendale....) and join the mens group there... or we have New Bedford CC or Fall River CC (both ding with various fees).

It's ok to mention names here. No reason to be secretive.

Or, if you want a good variety, join a group like BAGS or The Tour. Same price as membership, but lots of different courses scheduled through the year. Always someplace to play 2x a week.

--kC
Callaway Fusion / RBZ 3W / Mizuno JPX-EZ Forged Irons / Callaway MD3 52*, 58*, 64*

#67 Zac1321

Zac1321

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2018 - 01:29 PM

Good info Imp. understandable, fortunately I haven't run into issues anywhere I play with too many tournaments but I kind of look at it as similar to if a course has a full tee sheet at the times that work for my schedule to play. is that the courses fault? I get its very odd to consistently having tournaments on weekends but if the course had financial troubles in the past and have groups consistently offering up guaranteed money (and i would assume or at least hope the course charges a premium for a weekend tournament) I cant say I blame them from a business perspective. Definitely understand limited selection in courses. As weird as it may seem san diego isn't the greatest. there are really only a handful of courses that aren't in rough shape or crazy overpriced, combine that with cost of living here and im ready to move.

#68 J2putts

J2putts

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 465 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2018 - 05:41 PM

View PostImp, on 29 October 2018 - 12:37 PM, said:

The club in question used to be private. They ran into money issues and became semi-private, filled in the pool, and ... well, I think many get the picture. I play there occasionally during the season when I want to get out and there's time in golfnow.  It's a fun course though. Sad to hear they are doing this to THIS extent (I know a few that had been members there) You made the right decision in walking. While getting money in from outside sourace keeps your dues lower, what good are they when you can't even get out to play. And being a decent course, that's going to draw in the various events. No good that its filling the weekends in prime fall weather golf though.

Our selections are limited here though. Theres a handful of 'spensive have to be born into clubs (Westport area near water), there's a couple clubs that are private and almost attainable (but ding/dong the member for stupid random fees) and then there's public courses. Maybe take the drive down the road to Acushnet River Valley (funny to see the Acushnet event at Allendale....) and join the mens group there... or we have New Bedford CC or Fall River CC (both ding with various fees).

Or, if you want a good variety, join a group like BAGS or The Tour. Same price as membership, but lots of different courses scheduled through the year. Always someplace to play 2x a week.

--kC

--kC
I mentioned the name of the club in earlier comments in the summer. I basically  have been playing  ARV all summer. Going forward i will play there more and my brother is a member at ccnb so I get out there once a month .
Callaway Rogue 8.0
Callaway xr16 pro 14.0
Adams Red 18.0
Odyssey Versa #9 white

#69 J2putts

J2putts

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 465 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2018 - 05:45 PM

View PostZac1321, on 29 October 2018 - 11:52 AM, said:

Not trying to be an a****** but it seems like there is a mix of comments on the thread still interpreting this as OP being a member of a private club when it seems from context that that is not the case. Its a big pet peeve of mine that public/Semi-private courses calls it a "membership" because it can be interpreted as belonging to a truly private club (which is why they do it but still) when realistically you just are paying a set amount and in exchange get discounted greens fees and free range balls. While I think everyone agrees OP should walk away, me included, its strange to me that anyone would get so upset about how a course that they are not a member at is being run, sure it my alienate certain patrons but if they are having this many tournaments and events then they are doing fine financially. At the end of the day golf courses are businesses. To think you deserve special treatment because you bought essentially a discount card to a public course is wild.
.I guess I must of imagined that I was a member when I attend monthly meetings at the club , along with my food and beverage minimum that I pay every month . As far as "special treatment" I never thought that me thinking the course should be idk open for play as " special treatment "and they're far from doing well financially .

Edited by J2putts, 29 October 2018 - 05:53 PM.

Callaway Rogue 8.0
Callaway xr16 pro 14.0
Adams Red 18.0
Odyssey Versa #9 white

#70 Zac1321

Zac1321

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2018 - 05:51 PM

Apologies J2putts I just looked back and realized I read a different commenters description of his "membership" which was essentially to get discounted green fees. If im understanding now you were a member when it was private before it we to semi. Id be interested how they laid all that to members especially with tournaments and if there were votes etc.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#71 Pleasedwith3putts

Pleasedwith3putts

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,586 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 14749
GolfWRX Likes : 349

Posted 29 October 2018 - 05:56 PM

The way I see it is there's a simple choice. At the moment OP gets a certain level of access and priviledges to the course in return for $$.

It doesn't sound like anything is going to change there so if there are other options that either have the same offer for less $$ OR a better offer for the same or more $$'s that the OP is willing to pay then you walk.

#72 Zac1321

Zac1321

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2018 - 05:59 PM

yup, hand up I was wrong with my comment direted to you. definitely think you are in the right now that you've laid out very specifically your circumstances. there are a lot of "semi-private" courses that I have been to who have members who as I described before are no more than people who pay to have discounted green fees that are very entitled and walk around like they own the place and assumed (incorrectly). Sounds like management at your club did a terrible job in handling the change

#73 tiderider

tiderider

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,076 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 320763
  • Handicap:5ish
GolfWRX Likes : 927

Posted 29 October 2018 - 06:07 PM

View Postmallrat, on 07 June 2018 - 10:28 PM, said:

This is weird to me. I was working for a very public course but more on the high end. The course averaged 65-70k rounds a year over the last 4 years. This is a course that kinda lives off hosting events, think 7-9 shotguns a week with most tee boxes double stacked.

Only once in the last 2 years there did they have a tournament on the weekend. Just makes no sense. Heck our LPGA qualifying tourney (not a Monday qualifier but an event for ams to get in) had the practice round on Sunday and played Mon & Tue.

i pay a monthly "membership" fee for the rtj trail and have unlimited golf at every trail site ... they are strictly public, but they rarely have events on the weekend at oxmoor valley ... there's a short course they'll use quite a bit, but even with it, it's rarely on the weekend ... they'll block some early morning tee times in the spring or fall for their packages for tourists, but not too many times ... of course, the system is state funded, so that helps quite a bit, but they are booked solid throughout the week for tournaments on at least one course  ... can't imagine the frustration of the op ... weekends are the one time paying "members", what the definition, should be able to play without any interference ...

Edited by tiderider, 29 October 2018 - 06:10 PM.

#74 J2putts

J2putts

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 465 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2018 - 07:37 PM

View PostZac1321, on 29 October 2018 - 05:51 PM, said:

Apologies J2putts I just looked back and realized I read a different commenters description of his "membership" which was essentially to get discounted green fees. If im understanding now you were a member when it was private before it we to semi. Id be interested how they laid all that to members especially with tournaments and if there were votes etc.
No problem ..I've been a member for a few years. The first 2 i had a afternoon membership. This past year they did away with the afternoon membership and their sell was that for $300 more you'll have a full membership and no restrictions as to when and what time you can play. I mean they would even go as far as to have TWO  tournaments in same day sometimes during the summer.  It's just unacceptable and borderline fraudulent in my opinion . You basically are F'ing the people that are keeping the club afloat in the first place .

Edited by J2putts, 29 October 2018 - 07:38 PM.

Callaway Rogue 8.0
Callaway xr16 pro 14.0
Adams Red 18.0
Odyssey Versa #9 white

#75 augustgolf

augustgolf

Golf with dignity

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,413 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 438244
  • Ebay ID:augustgolf
GolfWRX Likes : 3984

Posted 29 October 2018 - 08:03 PM

View PostJ2putts, on 29 October 2018 - 07:37 PM, said:

No problem ..I've been a member for a few years. The first 2 i had a afternoon membership. This past year they did away with the afternoon membership and their sell was that for $300 more you'll have a full membership and no restrictions as to when and what time you can play. I mean they would even go as far as to have TWO  tournaments in same day sometimes during the summer.  It's just unacceptable and borderline fraudulent in my opinion . You basically are F'ing the people that are keeping the club afloat in the first place .

I have read this entire thread, and here's what I think (OP, nothing directed at you personally)

As in another thread, I stated this: we are to blame for where we are today. While the other thread had to do with golf "service" in retail, and all that entails, we have definitely placed ourselves in this predicament with how golf courses are run/managed/owned/etc.

I won't go into it, but....believe me, things could be SO much better, but...this is where the actions of those looking for deals for the past 25 years have become reality.

The "GolfNow" and "EZLinks" situations, offering the ability to get tee times via your phone/tablet/apple watch - well, they take $$$ out of the golf course, sometimes almost 6 figures annually. For your "convenience" and coolness factor, the golf courses have to look to another revenue stream to be able to make ends meet, or face cuts, which we all know what they look like:
  • Greens aren't mowed as often
  • bunkers aren't raked as often
  • range balls become older
  • range grass begins to look raggedy
  • range tee-line becomes nasty looking
  • carts are allowed to be part of the program for 3 more additional years, as the cost to replace them is too expensive, so they look bad and don't perform as well

I can continue, but I think that if you are reading this, you are getting the point.

OP...I truly sympathize with you, and my advice is: drop the current "membership" you have, and play with your group at their course, and also other courses in the area. Sooner or later, someone will return to sanity in their golf management of these courses, and I hope that all of those golfers who bemoan the way that things are today can and will appreciate proper course managers.

It is what we have made it. Hope you are happy with this (but it appears that many aren't)

Pings from the beginning

OGA member 1415
or is it 1514...
I don't remember exactly

#76 J2putts

J2putts

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 465 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2018 - 08:15 PM

View Postaugustgolf, on 29 October 2018 - 08:03 PM, said:

View PostJ2putts, on 29 October 2018 - 07:37 PM, said:

I have read this entire thread, and here's what I think (OP, nothing directed at you personally)

As in another thread, I stated this: we are to blame for where we are today. While the other thread had to do with golf "service" in retail, and all that entails, we have definitely placed ourselves in this predicament with how golf courses are run/managed/owned/etc.

I won't go into it, but....believe me, things could be SO much better, but...this is where the actions of those looking for deals for the past 25 years have become reality.

The "GolfNow" and "EZLinks" situations, offering the ability to get tee times via your phone/tablet/apple watch - well, they take $$$ out of the golf course, sometimes almost 6 figures annually. For your "convenience" and coolness factor, the golf courses have to look to another revenue stream to be able to make ends meet, or face cuts, which we all know what they look like:
  • Greens aren't mowed as often
  • bunkers aren't raked as often
  • range balls become older
  • range grass begins to look raggedy
  • range tee-line becomes nasty looking
  • carts are allowed to be part of the program for 3 more additional years, as the cost to replace them is too expensive, so they look bad and don't perform as well

I can continue, but I think that if you are reading this, you are getting the point.

OP...I truly sympathize with you, and my advice is: drop the current "membership" you have, and play with your group at their course, and also other courses in the area. Sooner or later, someone will return to sanity in their golf management of these courses, and I hope that all of those golfers who bemoan the way that things are today can and will appreciate proper course managers.

It is what we have made it. Hope you are happy with this (but it appears that many aren't)
That's exactly what I'm going to do ...just pay as  i play .
Callaway Rogue 8.0
Callaway xr16 pro 14.0
Adams Red 18.0
Odyssey Versa #9 white

#77 bazinky

bazinky

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,607 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 33287
GolfWRX Likes : 726

Posted 30 October 2018 - 07:02 AM

in my experience, courses (private OR public) that need to run "events" on weekends are usually in serious financial trouble. If management is needing to work that hard to fill up prime golf times, I wouldn't count on that course being around too much longer ...
Cobra LTD @10.5 - UST Elements Chrome 6F4
Titleist 917 F2 16.5 @C1 (15.75) - MRC D+ Limited 80 S
Callaway X2Hot Pro @20 - Aldila Tour Green 75 S
Callaway X2Hot Pro @23 - Aldila Tour Green 75 S
Ping i20 5-UW - KBS Tour S - Yellow Dot
Ping Glide 54 SS - CFS Wedge S - Blue Dot
Ping Glide 58 ES - CFS Wedge S - Black Dot
Taylormade Spider Tour Red Half-Sightline - 35"

#78 Roody

Roody

You ride her until she bucks you or don't ride at all

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,016 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 63452
  • Handicap:8.4
GolfWRX Likes : 644

Posted 30 October 2018 - 11:03 AM

View PostJ2putts, on 05 June 2018 - 08:26 PM, said:

For example this week. Course closed at 1pm Monday for a scramble . Tuesday there's a large league that shotgun 's off 14 holes at 4:30... Wednesday there's a 9 hole /dinner deal ..they shut down one side at 5pm. Thursday there's a woman's league and a men's league at 4:30. Saturday there's a scramble at 1pm course closed and Sunday there's a 8am scramble course closed ! Over the next 7 weeks there are 9 scramble 's and two league per week. So when the heck is someone who works supposed to play !? It was an issue for me last year but it's worse this year ! I pay for a membership and they proceed to flood the course with events to bring in more revenue . I get that..but I'm taking my money elsewhere at end of October.

View PostJ2putts, on 27 October 2018 - 07:46 PM, said:

The situation you describe is almost IDENTICAL to the situation I just ran away from a couple months ago. I was a member at a semi-private course for the past 3 years. It used to be fully private many years ago, but fell on some hard financial times and had to remake itself.

Same sorts of things. Several outside scramble events were being scheduled. I've got no problem with them having outside events to bring in revenue, but many of these scrambles were going off at 8:30 am on weekends. To me it would make more sense to limit it to say 1:00 shotgun start. Then the members get the prime tee times on weekends, and you still get to have the tournament.

It just got to be too much, it felt like we couldn't play when we wanted to. A few of the times we teed off later in the day in order to work around the tournaments. But often they'd throw in a bunch of public play, and we'd have to put up with a 4-5 hour round. Add on that the drainage for the course is terrible, which means cart-path only, which means longer rounds.

Basically, I had enough. When I got wind of a deal for new members that the fully private course near my house was doing, I jumped on it. I've only been a member for two months, and only have about 12 rounds under my belt, but the experience has been fantastic. I've walked 18 holes in as quick as 2.5 hours, and I think my slowest round was about 3:45.

If you can go fully private, do it. The service, the amenities, the food, the experience. It's all worth it. You can't justify it on a cost-per-round basis. You have to realize all the other intangibles that make it worth the price you pay.
Titleist ProV1x
Titleist 915 D2
Titleist 716 T-MB 2-iron
Callaway Apex irons 3-PW
Odyssey Black Series #7
Callaway Jaws and Mack Daddy Wedges

#79 farmer

farmer

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,434 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 70095
GolfWRX Likes : 3276

Posted 30 October 2018 - 11:53 AM

August, how does GolfNow and EZLinks take money from the course?  In my rural area we don't have these things, so I don't understand how they work.

#80 bauer22

bauer22

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 80 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 158011
  • Handicap:8.1
GolfWRX Likes : 29

Posted 30 October 2018 - 01:44 PM

View PostJ2putts, on 29 October 2018 - 05:41 PM, said:

--kC

--kC
I mentioned the name of the club in earlier comments in the summer. I basically  have been playing  ARV all summer. Going forward i will play there more and my brother is a member at ccnb so I get out there once a month .

I really like the front 9 at ARV. It was my go to course before I joined Fall River CC. I miss the elevation change of both of those courses, living in FL now...Don't miss the frost delays though!

WITB

Driver: Taylormade M1 - Speeder 757 Evo II
Woods: Callaway 816 14* - Speeder 665 S-Flex
Driving Iron: Taylormade P790 3 iron -2*, 1/2* flat, Modus 3 120 Stiff
Irons: Srixon Z965 4-PW - Modus 3 120 Stiff
Wedge: Titelist SM5, 52, 56, 60
Putter: Taylormade DJ Spider Black - 34"
Ball: Taylormade TP5x

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#81 smashdn

smashdn

Let's cut them trees down.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 745 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 55877
GolfWRX Likes : 354

Posted 30 October 2018 - 02:12 PM

View Postfarmer, on 30 October 2018 - 11:53 AM, said:

August, how does GolfNow and EZLinks take money from the course?  In my rural area we don't have these things, so I don't understand how they work.

Charge the course a fee and convince the course that the service can fill the least desirable spots more easily than the course can.

I will say this, I was on vacation and wanted to play a public track.  There were open times on one of the tee time sites.  I thought if they are open there they are open at the course itself and surely to goodness I can get a better rate in person than on-line.  FALSE.  I think I paid $30 more than the service website.  Even after I brought that fact up to the guy running the register (no fault of his however) I got no break on price.  I don't see how it is a profitable model for the course at all.  It is pretty chitty too that from whom you buy the exact product the price is different.  Be like a foursome paying four different rates for the exact same tee time.  Shifty.

To the OP, hope you find you a new club where you can get out whenever you feel like.  Nothing clears my mind of work better than cutting out 30 minutes early and walking nine in the evening.

Edited by smashdn, 31 October 2018 - 06:48 AM.

#82 J2putts

J2putts

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 465 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2018 - 03:18 PM

View Postbauer22, on 30 October 2018 - 01:44 PM, said:

View PostJ2putts, on 29 October 2018 - 05:41 PM, said:

--kC

--kC

I really like the front 9 at ARV. It was my go to course before I joined Fall River CC. I miss the elevation change of both of those courses, living in FL now...Don't miss the frost delays though!
You really can't get any better than A.R.V. when it comes to muni's.
Callaway Rogue 8.0
Callaway xr16 pro 14.0
Adams Red 18.0
Odyssey Versa #9 white

#83 Petethreeput

Petethreeput

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 907 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 146815
  • Handicap:4.7
GolfWRX Likes : 651

Posted 30 October 2018 - 07:14 PM

View Postsmashdn, on 30 October 2018 - 02:12 PM, said:

View Postfarmer, on 30 October 2018 - 11:53 AM, said:

Charge the course a few and convince the course that the service can fill the least desirable spots more easily than the course can.

I will say this, I was on vacation and wanted to play a public track.  There were open times on one of the tee time sites.  I thought if they are open there they are open at the course itself and sure to goodness I can get a better rate in person than on-line.  FALSE.  I think I paid $30 more than the service website.  Even after I brought that fact up to the guy running the register (no fault of his however) I got no break on price.  I don't see how it is a profitable model for the course at all.  It is pretty chitty too that from whom you buy the exact product the price is different.  Be like a foursome paying four different rates for the exact same tee time.  Shifty.

To the OP, hope you find you a new club where you can get out whenever you feel like.  Nothing clears my mind of work better than cutting out 30 minutes early and walking nine in the evening.

I did this in Vegas once. We showed up for the golfnow rate and breakfast. Each of us ended up spending $30 more per person.

Weirdest experience I have ever had, and I have never used golfnow again. I’d rather not know...

Edited by Petethreeput, 30 October 2018 - 07:14 PM.

#84 golfandfishing

golfandfishing

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,867 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 381948
  • Handicap:4
GolfWRX Likes : 5030

Posted 31 October 2018 - 06:06 AM

^^^^ petethreeputt^^^^

Wait a second here. I’m not a golfnow fan at all, I know too much about it to like them, but......  are you saying that you saw a rate on golfnow, didn’t book it, showed up to the course in person without a tee time and you got upset at golfnow because the course wouldn’t offer you the same deal you saw online?  That’s not golfnow’s fault. Not at all.

#85 smashdn

smashdn

Let's cut them trees down.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 745 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 55877
GolfWRX Likes : 354

Posted 31 October 2018 - 06:54 AM

View Postgolfandfishing, on 31 October 2018 - 06:06 AM, said:

^^^^ petethreeputt^^^^

Wait a second here. I'm not a golfnow fan at all, I know too much about it to like them, but......  are you saying that you saw a rate on golfnow, didn't book it, showed up to the course in person without a tee time and you got upset at golfnow because the course wouldn't offer you the same deal you saw online?  That's not golfnow's fault. Not at all.

I don't recall if it was golfnow or another booking site but that is about what happened to me.  I wasn't mad at the booking site about it.  I just thought that if the whole afternoon is wide open at a price online that I could get the same price from the actual course in person and that they would rather have my cash in their register right then and there than through the booking site.  Apparently that is not the way of the world these days.  

Might be worth another thread but if you see an online advertised price for a tee time should the course be obligated to provide you that price in person?  Keeping in mind it was not a special or package, just a tee time for 18 holes.

#86 golfandfishing

golfandfishing

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,867 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 381948
  • Handicap:4
GolfWRX Likes : 5030

Posted 31 October 2018 - 06:59 AM

The course isn’t obligated to do anything that a 3rd party does, no.

#87 dcmidnight

dcmidnight

Major Winner

• Marshals
  • 3,390 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 18357
  • Handicap:6.1

Posted 31 October 2018 - 10:39 AM

View Postsmashdn, on 31 October 2018 - 06:54 AM, said:

Might be worth another thread but if you see an online advertised price for a tee time should the course be obligated to provide you that price in person?  Keeping in mind it was not a special or package, just a tee time for 18 holes.

Of course not.

For most of these services, the course provides a certain tee time(s) per day to the service in exchange for being listed. The course is under zero obligation to meet their rate and in fact, its likely they couldnt even if they wanted to. If someone were to drive up and logon to GolfNow 15 minutes before the tee time, GN wants that time available.

Hotels are the same way these days and they tell you so, lowest rates available online. If you show up in person, you will not get that rate.
M3 9.5 - AD-DI6x Black
M4 3W - AD-DI6s Black
Epic 3h - GD Tour ADs / Epic 3i - Steelfiber 95s
M3 5h - Atmos Red stiff
Cobra F8 One Length 6-GW - Steelfiber 110s
TM Milled Grind 54* / Hi Toe 60*
Toulon Indy 35" / TM TP5

#88 Petethreeput

Petethreeput

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 907 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 146815
  • Handicap:4.7
GolfWRX Likes : 651

Posted 31 October 2018 - 12:18 PM

^^^^ petethreeputt^^^^

Wait a second here. I'm not a golfnow fan at all, I know too much about it to like them, but......  are you saying that you saw a rate on golfnow, didn't book it, showed up to the course in person without a tee time and you got upset at golfnow because the course wouldn't offer you the same deal you saw online?  That's not golfnow's fault. Not at all.

No, I guess what I am saying is, I would have been happy to pay rack rate if I didn't know we could have saved that money.  Its like airline tickets, the guy next to you certainly didn't pay the same, but the trip had value to both of us.  But, if I asked the guy and he told me he paid 1/3 of what I did, then i would be bummed out.

#89 Imp

Imp

Fueled

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,446 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 130204
  • Handicap:9.2
GolfWRX Likes : 1417

Posted 31 October 2018 - 12:29 PM

View Postsmashdn, on 31 October 2018 - 06:54 AM, said:

^^^^ petethreeputt^^^^

I don't recall if it was golfnow or another booking site but that is about what happened to me.  I wasn't mad at the booking site about it.  I just thought that if the whole afternoon is wide open at a price online that I could get the same price from the actual course in person and that they would rather have my cash in their register right then and there than through the booking site.  Apparently that is not the way of the world these days.  

Whip out phone, make reservation online, "we're here". Pay lower price.

--kC
Callaway Fusion / RBZ 3W / Mizuno JPX-EZ Forged Irons / Callaway MD3 52*, 58*, 64*

#90 Zac1321

Zac1321

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2018 - 12:38 PM

yup, this is what I have ended up doing a few times. I know theres plenty of guys with horror stories but for the most part I don't mind golf now, the majority of courses ive used it for has a rate lower than at the course and I like seeing whats available at the courses near me without having to go to a bunch of websites. However theres a few courses near me that do not integrate their system with golf now which can be annoying when you show up but I know which ones and call ahead and they are cool to put me on their tee sheet

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors