Jump to content

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

My C.C. always having events , course closed.


161 replies to this topic

#151 third-times-a-charm

third-times-a-charm

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,057 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 464568
  • Joined: 04/22/2017
GolfWRX Likes : 628

Posted 27 November 2018 - 03:08 PM

View PostFourTops, on 25 November 2018 - 09:34 PM, said:

View Postyouraway2, on 25 November 2018 - 08:24 PM, said:

View PostJ2putts, on 05 June 2018 - 08:29 PM, said:

Also there is no exclusive tee times  for members . So the public can play anytime of the day any day of the week . So what's the point of me having a membership !?
So it's really not a Country Club?  It's a Semi-Private.  If it was a true CC, then it would be controlled by membership. So sounds like you're paying for something that does not exist.  I haven't read all the responses but I'd also bet it's operated by a management company.   I have three basis thoughts concerning the place where I play golf, One, is nothing will change, and Two, they don't care, and three, bottom line is, if you don't like it spend you money somewhere else.

IMO there's no such thing as Semi-Private....it's just paying for preferred tee times and 10% off of stuff nobody buys.

What if your club has a hotel attached to it and the only way someone can get on without being a member is if they pay the hotel night rate + full rate + caddy.

I call it 7/8's private

Long Live Nike

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


1

#152 FourTops

FourTops

    Major Winner

  • Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,685 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 500886
  • Joined: 05/04/2018
  • Location:FL/CA
  • Handicap:5.7
GolfWRX Likes : 926

Posted 27 November 2018 - 09:27 PM

View Postthird-times-a-charm, on 27 November 2018 - 03:08 PM, said:

View PostFourTops, on 25 November 2018 - 09:34 PM, said:

View Postyouraway2, on 25 November 2018 - 08:24 PM, said:

View PostJ2putts, on 05 June 2018 - 08:29 PM, said:

Also there is no exclusive tee times  for members . So the public can play anytime of the day any day of the week . So what's the point of me having a membership !?
So it's really not a Country Club?  It's a Semi-Private.  If it was a true CC, then it would be controlled by membership. So sounds like you're paying for something that does not exist.  I haven't read all the responses but I'd also bet it's operated by a management company.   I have three basis thoughts concerning the place where I play golf, One, is nothing will change, and Two, they don't care, and three, bottom line is, if you don't like it spend you money somewhere else.

IMO there's no such thing as Semi-Private....it's just paying for preferred tee times and 10% off of stuff nobody buys.

What if your club has a hotel attached to it and the only way someone can get on without being a member is if they pay the hotel night rate + full rate + caddy.

I call it 7/8's private

Hmmm...let me think about that....OK...I'd call that a Hotel with a golf course.

2

#153 sheldonjhacker

sheldonjhacker

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,549 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 87167
  • Joined: 07/01/2009
GolfWRX Likes : 1586

Posted 27 November 2018 - 09:29 PM

Find another club.  :lock:

3

#154 third-times-a-charm

third-times-a-charm

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,057 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 464568
  • Joined: 04/22/2017
GolfWRX Likes : 628

Posted 28 November 2018 - 04:17 PM

View PostFourTops, on 27 November 2018 - 09:27 PM, said:

View Postthird-times-a-charm, on 27 November 2018 - 03:08 PM, said:

View PostFourTops, on 25 November 2018 - 09:34 PM, said:

View Postyouraway2, on 25 November 2018 - 08:24 PM, said:

View PostJ2putts, on 05 June 2018 - 08:29 PM, said:

Also there is no exclusive tee times  for members . So the public can play anytime of the day any day of the week . So what's the point of me having a membership !?
So it's really not a Country Club?  It's a Semi-Private.  If it was a true CC, then it would be controlled by membership. So sounds like you're paying for something that does not exist.  I haven't read all the responses but I'd also bet it's operated by a management company.   I have three basis thoughts concerning the place where I play golf, One, is nothing will change, and Two, they don't care, and three, bottom line is, if you don't like it spend you money somewhere else.

IMO there's no such thing as Semi-Private....it's just paying for preferred tee times and 10% off of stuff nobody buys.

What if your club has a hotel attached to it and the only way someone can get on without being a member is if they pay the hotel night rate + full rate + caddy.

I call it 7/8's private

Hmmm...let me think about that....OK...I'd call that a Hotel with a golf course.

You're half correct.

So near me there is Tranquilo which is now 'fully private' but has a LARGE hotel attached to it for Disney vacationers which guests can play if they stay there.

Then there is my club which is Bay Hill, which has a small 'hotel' attached to it, but its mainly for destination golfers who wish to play Arnie's finest course and a PGA tour stop bucket list course.

So I would agree about Tranquilo, but not Bay Hill. Riff raff isn't gonna pay upwards of $500 at BH, but MAYBE for under $300 at tranquilo.
Long Live Nike

4

#155 cristphoto

cristphoto

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,210 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 42981
  • Joined: 11/30/2007
  • Location:DC Metro
GolfWRX Likes : 676

Posted 28 November 2018 - 04:40 PM

"This is Allendale CC we are talking about correct?  I played there a couple of years ago and it is a fun course.  I really enjoyed my round.  Sorry to hear about the way it is managed.  CC of New Bedford is a nice course as well, but without the issues you mention.  Perhaps you deserve an upgrade to the private side of life."

I just looked a their web site.  I know nothing abut this place but after hearing the complaints I have a few comments. Under "Outings" they say there're usually on Mondays (but comments here say otherwise). Plus they want $3240 for an annual membership. Seems a bit high to me. That's about 1/2 of what I pay for a private club in the DC area with a full package of amenities (plus longer golf season).


5

#156 Rory4Pres

Rory4Pres

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 756 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 363997
  • Joined: 02/25/2015
  • Location:Kansas City
  • Handicap:high
GolfWRX Likes : 472

Posted 28 November 2018 - 04:51 PM

OP...

I had a similar experience at my public course for 3 years.  I'd get a annual membership to play anytime but when I went to play, the course would be closed for a private tournament.  Happened so often I'd have to call the course before heading there just to make sure I could get on.  

that experience definitely impacted my next move, which was another annual membership but to multiple courses in town, where if one was closed for an event, I could get on another.  I'd say if your course was hosting that many events, they should have a sister course you could get on that day instead.  

I see your post was from the summer so I'm sure you've moved on.  I'll have to read through the forum to get caught up.

6

#157 J2putts

J2putts

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 465 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 407462
  • Joined: 01/03/2016
  • Location:North Dartmouth,MA
  • Handicap:7.6
GolfWRX Likes : 236

Posted 03 December 2018 - 04:55 PM

My brother just joined a private country club recently and they have "sister country clubs" that will let their members play for free on days that his club has tournaments . Thought that was pretty cool.

Edited by J2putts, 03 December 2018 - 04:55 PM.

Callaway Rogue 8.0
Callaway xr16 pro 14.0
Adams Red 18.0
Mizuno JPX 850 forged 4-PW
Callaway MD3 wedges 50,54 & 58
Odyssey Versa #9 white

7

#158 FourTops

FourTops

    Major Winner

  • Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,685 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 500886
  • Joined: 05/04/2018
  • Location:FL/CA
  • Handicap:5.7
GolfWRX Likes : 926

Posted 03 December 2018 - 10:11 PM

Simple....move to La Quinta, CA and join PGA West.  Plenty of courses.  Play Stadium until you tap-out on #17 - Alcatraz - island green.

8

#159 youraway2

youraway2

    Just Old Sticks

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,299 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 25945
  • Joined: 02/24/2007
  • Location:Niceville Florida
  • Handicap:7
  • Ebay ID:youraway
GolfWRX Likes : 363

Posted 04 December 2018 - 09:37 PM

View PostJ2putts, on 20 November 2018 - 07:49 PM, said:

It's a lesson learned. I will NEVER pay for a membership for a "open to the public " club. Next year I will get a season pass at another course that i prefer anyway.
An interesting note; some courses sell "memberships" that aren't really memberships.  My course called us members in the past, but no more.  We pay an annual fee and they call us an Advance Fee Payer. The amount of fee depends on service provided, such as unlimited golf, or unlimited golf with cart.  However, if they have an event, you simply do not have access. Membership usually includes the ability to vote on issues (management and operations) and your vote with the other members dictate the outcome.  But if you are not empowered, then you're really not a member but just an Advance Fee Payer.
Ping G-400 Max, 10.5, Xtorsion
PXG, 15-degree, ACCRA
PXG, 19-degree hybrid, ACCRA
Cobra DWS Utility 19-degree
CF-16, 4-PW, UST Recoil
0311 PXG, 5-AW, i70 Areotech Steel-fiber
SW, 56 PXG
Ping Nickel Anser II

9

#160 FourTops

FourTops

    Major Winner

  • Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,685 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 500886
  • Joined: 05/04/2018
  • Location:FL/CA
  • Handicap:5.7
GolfWRX Likes : 926

Posted 04 December 2018 - 10:09 PM

Did anyone ever think the course pro shop sees the guy coming, or his user-ID is tagged and the course responds that it's closed?  Could be...who knows with all these golf apps now?


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


10

#161 schley

schley

    Love ya don't tell ya enough!

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 860 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 58583
  • Joined: 06/22/2008
  • Location:Kingdom of Saudi Arabia
  • Handicap:12.3
GolfWRX Likes : 311

Posted 06 December 2018 - 03:54 AM

Either a course is private or it is public.  There are various ways to access the public, some of which allows you to buy a season pass in the UK for example you pay your yearly "membership" fee and you get unlimited golf or what have you.

If a course is not fully private then what do you expect but your public course to have events.  If you don't like it go elsewhere.  At a private club it is a different story with the membership (equity club) deciding what events can be played and can't.

11

#162 third-times-a-charm

third-times-a-charm

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,057 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 464568
  • Joined: 04/22/2017
GolfWRX Likes : 628

Posted 07 December 2018 - 10:02 AM

View Postschley, on 06 December 2018 - 03:54 AM, said:

Either a course is private or it is public.  There are various ways to access the public, some of which allows you to buy a season pass in the UK for example you pay your yearly "membership" fee and you get unlimited golf or what have you.

If a course is not fully private then what do you expect but your public course to have events.  If you don't like it go elsewhere.  At a private club it is a different story with the membership (equity club) deciding what events can be played and can't.

As I mentioned earlier, some private clubs have hotels attached to them which allow the guests to buy a round of golf. There is an extremely minimal chance of abuse by the hotel guests, though, due to the high price of these stay + golf packages so I dont think these types of clubs would have any member complaints.
Long Live Nike

12



0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors