Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Really unlucky this month! Deadbeat seller won't make good

78 replies to this topic

#61 straightshot7

straightshot7

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,637 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 66294
GolfWRX Likes : 2527

Posted 12 June 2018 - 01:01 AM

CasualLie, on 11 June 2018 - 11:59 PM, said:

There are many comments in the thread I have not replied to...trying to keep the payment aspect separate from the reputation aspect on Golfwrx, since this is the only domain the mods/users have some control.

That sounded like a mouthful of b.s...

Whether you paid by Friends and Family or Goods and Services is just a simple fact relevant to this thread and your situation.

Many people have admitted to paying via FF and it didn't take away from the board's animosity toward the culprit.

The only thing you're trying to protect is yourself...don't come on the DonD and make an "I got scammed" thread if you're not ready to be transparent and honest.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#62 radiman

radiman

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,309 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 56856
  • Handicap:3.8
GolfWRX Likes : 906

Posted 12 June 2018 - 10:05 AM

Unfortunate that this has come to this point.  As already stated, if the buyer hasn't filed a claim yet, it's more than likely due to his payment method.  If it is true, then the OP will just have to deal with taking a loss if the seller isn't going to do the right thing.  But, aside from the piling on for a bad payment decision, the seller should be held accountable here.  If there can't be any recourse through PayPal, then there has to be something done here.  "phenomenal" does not mean chipped edges and faded #'s.  The OP can learn his lesson about PayPal and the seller should be restricted from selling here.
Rogue SZ 10.5 w/Graphite Design AD TP 6X
Srixon F65 15 Tensei Pro Blue 70TX
Callaway X-Forged UT 21* w/Motore Speeder TS 8.8 X
Callaway 2016 Apex Pro 4-PW KBS 130X
Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2
Callaway MD3 54, 60, 64
All sitting comfortably in my Sun Mountain Sync Cart Bag

#63 CasualLie

CasualLie

Do Woodchucks Chuck Wood?

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,044 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 99500
GolfWRX Likes : 299

Posted 12 June 2018 - 12:25 PM

If it matters, I paid via Venmo...worse than FnF on Paypal.  Not sure why you guys want to think I am avoiding an issue, or laying blame elsewhere.  I already stated as much - the process I went through to decide to purchase (or not go through) is on me, but it changes nothing when it comes to the "phenomenal" description.

If you guys are going to have a drink with Scotty Wu and help him have a change of heart; great.  Otherwise, the thread should just close.  I f'd up a good part of it, lesson learned...seller has no morals.  That's about it, no?

#64 radiman

radiman

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,309 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 56856
  • Handicap:3.8
GolfWRX Likes : 906

Posted 12 June 2018 - 12:37 PM

CasualLie, on 12 June 2018 - 12:25 PM, said:

If it matters, I paid via Venmo...worse than FnF on Paypal.  Not sure why you guys want to think I am avoiding an issue, or laying blame elsewhere.  I already stated as much - the process I went through to decide to purchase (or not go through) is on me, but it changes nothing when it comes to the "phenomenal" description.

If you guys are going to have a drink with Scotty Wu and help him have a change of heart; great.  Otherwise, the thread should just close.  I f'd up a good part of it, lesson learned...seller has no morals.  That's about it, no?

You have been around enough to know that time and time again, people pay F&F when they should know better.  The fact that you basically refused to answer would leave most to believe that was the case.  You had to have seen enough of these threads to know that it makes a big difference in rectifying the situation.  I don't have any experience with Venmo.  But, from what I hear, it isn't a great service.  I have no idea if they have any buyer protection at all.  It doesn't change the fact that the seller did you wrong.  But, with no protection from PayPal, your only recourse would possibly a credit card displute?  The only thing that can possibly happen from this site is for the Mods to come in and suspend his account.  It is pretty evident that the seller doesn't plan on responding to your PM's or even possibly coming back to this thread to clear things up.
Rogue SZ 10.5 w/Graphite Design AD TP 6X
Srixon F65 15 Tensei Pro Blue 70TX
Callaway X-Forged UT 21* w/Motore Speeder TS 8.8 X
Callaway 2016 Apex Pro 4-PW KBS 130X
Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2
Callaway MD3 54, 60, 64
All sitting comfortably in my Sun Mountain Sync Cart Bag

#65 straightshot7

straightshot7

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,637 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2018 - 12:58 PM

I'm not trying to make you feel bad or blame you so don't take it personally---but just in a general sense for all transactions, how you pay does matter. A lot.

It's one of the most important components of the whole conversation around the event. e.g. who suggested Venmo? Why? etc.

If you choose a payment method with no buyer protection, it's even possible that the scammer then decides to scam you.

Maybe he sent you a different, damaged range finder when he realized you had no recourse. I'm not saying that happened---but just as an example of how your payment method does matter.

Plus you've got people on here trying to give you advice (how many people suggested filing a dispute with PP?) without all of the information.

#66 pingeye

pingeye

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,165 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 2532
GolfWRX Likes : 314

Posted 12 June 2018 - 12:59 PM

The easy fix for this is for the seller to refund, Buyer pay for return shipping as a lessons learned. Then Flubberlange can send the unit back to Leupold to repair the unit.

Beating up the buyer has become over kill here, I think he probably gets it by now. I've blocked the seller because it doesn't appear that he's made any effort to help with his sale other than collecting the funds followed by no-replies!
TaylorMade 2017 M2 10.5 Tensei CK Blue
TaylorMade M3 17 HL Tensei CK Blue
Ping G25 Hybrd 17 TFC 189
Ping I200 4-W
Ping Glide 2.0 52ss, 56ss
Ping Glide Stealth 2.0 60ts
Ping Redwood Anser

#67 dmac4g

dmac4g

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,121 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 16945
GolfWRX Likes : 686

Posted 12 June 2018 - 01:01 PM

I live by BST life by thinking what would Tyus Stones do?   Tyus wouldn't pay Friends and Family and would never use Venmo (whatever that is)........  Use PayPal, pay the fee's and enjoy the protection.

#68 lebanontngolfer

lebanontngolfer

short and to the left

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 2,289 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 46443
GolfWRX Likes : 297

Posted 12 June 2018 - 01:55 PM

You are correct, the core of the issue is not how you paid, it is how the seller is responding to the situation.  You trusted that a description of "phenomenal" would be exactly that, not a less than good condition item, which it obviously is.  I don't care if you mailed the guy cash, the buyer has a responsibility to provide a "phenomenal" item, which he did not.  

The guys beating you up over the payment method are misdirected using their anonymous internet personas to be judgmental and bait you into an argument.  Avoid them, their behavior is trollish, and it takes the focus off the real problem which is the seller's lack of honor and character, which are supposed to be core traits of the sport/game we are all playing.

Sorry, but these threads that devolve into chastising the buyer for choice of payment methods are getting tiresome.  We get it, don't Venmo, F&F, Western Union, etc.  The OP obviously gets it, too.

#69 GoIrish17

GoIrish17

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,931 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 157931
  • Handicap:8
  • Ebay ID:bschultz0170
GolfWRX Likes : 3739

Posted 12 June 2018 - 03:08 PM

OP, the only blame I place at your feet is a poor decision of payment method, which you have owned since revealing it. I get that you probably didn’t want to divulge that info for fear of how the mob would react. I just wish you’d have shared that information sooner, so I could consider it along with everything else when trying to examine the situation.

Knowing now that that the seller received payment that offered him the option of flipping you the bird with no fear of retribution certainly doesn’t improve his reputation in my eyes. You made a mistake in your payment method, he’s a sleeze ball who will tell you to go fist yourself if something isn’t right in one of his transactions and he has an out.

At rhis point, I’d happily deal with the OP on the BST. The seller, hell the f no.

Edited by GoIrish17, 12 June 2018 - 03:10 PM.

Winter Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 ('16) 10.5° Matrix Speed RULZ C Proto
Fairway: SLDR 15° VTS Silver 7
Hybrid: Callaway X2Hot Pro 18° Speeder HB 8.8
Driving Iron: Mizuno MP Fli-Hi Cut Muscle 24
° Diamana D+ 90
Irons: Adams CB3 satin 5-pw Recoil 110 Prototype
Wedges: Vokey SM5 raw 48°, 54°, 58° KBS Tour Black Nickel
Putter: Tad Moore Pro 1S prototype
Putter: Scotty AOP Newport oil can
Putter: Piretti Potenza II black

WITB:
http://www.golfwrx.c...sh17s-new-witb/

#70 straightshot7

straightshot7

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,637 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2018 - 03:24 PM

lebanontngolfer, on 12 June 2018 - 01:55 PM, said:

You are correct, the core of the issue is not how you paid, it is how the seller is responding to the situation.  You trusted that a description of "phenomenal" would be exactly that, not a less than good condition item, which it obviously is.  I don't care if you mailed the guy cash, the buyer has a responsibility to provide a "phenomenal" item, which he did not.  

The guys beating you up over the payment method are misdirected using their anonymous internet personas to be judgmental and bait you into an argument.  Avoid them, their behavior is trollish, and it takes the focus off the real problem which is the seller's lack of honor and character, which are supposed to be core traits of the sport/game we are all playing.

Sorry, but these threads that devolve into chastising the buyer for choice of payment methods are getting tiresome.  We get it, don't Venmo, F&F, Western Union, etc.  The OP obviously gets it, too.

And yet, here you are...using your "Internet persona to be judgemental" of those people.

Being mean to the OP, I agree, is unnecessary. But asking what payment method was used is just a good and totally relevant question.

If someone uses Paypal G&S, they can submit a dispute and get their money back. End of story. The problem goes away essentially.

How is that not worth bringing up?

And obviously people don't "get it" since here we are with another Venmo situation.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#71 Nick081974

Nick081974

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 320 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 380028
GolfWRX Likes : 118

Posted 12 June 2018 - 04:55 PM

Well now the payment situation is clear and the seller clearly isn’t going to do anything, move on and send it in to Leupold!!  You may truly be surprised with what you hear, if not then use the heck out of it till it dies!!  From what I can see it is useable to a degree.  Hell maybe even Leupold will hook you up on repair cost, replace for free and heck may even cut you a deal on a new model at a discount rather than repair. Maybe even being upfront with your situation may work out in your benefit.  You won’t know until you move on from this thread and start to take action, since in more or less terms due to payment you gave up all of your rights in getting your money back.

Edited by Nick081974, 12 June 2018 - 04:55 PM.

- Taylormade M2 9.5
- Taylormade M2 3W
- Taylormade M2 3h
- Taylormade M2 4-PW
- Vokey SM6 50*, 56*, & 60*
- Scotty Cameron Newport Select 2.5
- TM Tour Preferred X

#72 bstill007

bstill007

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 100 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 280837
  • Handicap:13
GolfWRX Likes : 41

Posted 12 June 2018 - 05:45 PM

I sent back a leuopold go-1 in the past that I bought used. They replaced my unit with a gx2 at no cost. I would send it back and see what they will do.
Ping G SFT Tour ADMT 6
Cobra F7 5wood
816 H1
Z545 5-PW Recoil F4
rtx 3 48
Edel 54/59
Betti Kuchar 2hm
Srixion Z star

#73 dxdgenert

dxdgenert

Dirtiest player in the game

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,292 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 28908
  • Handicap:15.3
  • Ebay ID:dxdgenert
GolfWRX Likes : 448

Posted 13 June 2018 - 06:07 AM

Oh, Mary, mother of God. How does this keep happening?!? I know that Im not supposed to blame the victim but at what point is enough, enough?
Nobody deserves to be stolen from. However, I feel like you relinquish the right have an open discussion thread, if you pay other than PayPal: Goods and Services. All that should be allowed is negative feedback and a single topic post that puts the seller by username in the title. At that point, what is there to discuss for multiple pages? Theres no recourse, theres no resolution. Unless, however, you manage to call their high school golf coach or compell their Oregon Duck brother to intervene.
5DFAC071-FBB2-4EEA-8AB6-4B7A1D3B6FCE.gif

Edited by dxdgenert, 13 June 2018 - 06:09 AM.

Cobra KING F7 driver w/ Fujikura Pro 60
Cobra KING F7 fairway w/ Fujikura Pro 65
Cobra KING F7 hybrid w/ Fujikura Pro 75H
Wilson Staff FG Tour V4 Utility 4 Iron
Wilson Staff FG Tour V4 5-GW
Wilson Staff FG Tour PMP Blue Tour Grind 56* and 60*
SeeMore PTM1
Bettinardi 2016 BB1F
Scotty Cameron Studio Design 1

#74 Gdashoff

Gdashoff

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 482648
GolfWRX Likes : 103

Posted 13 June 2018 - 07:05 AM

dxdgenert, on 13 June 2018 - 06:07 AM, said:

Oh, Mary, mother of God. How does this keep happening?!? I know that Im not supposed to blame the victim but at what point is enough, enough?
Nobody deserves to be stolen from. However, I feel like you relinquish the right have an open discussion thread, if you pay other than PayPal: Goods and Services. All that should be allowed is negative feedback and a single topic post that puts the seller by username in the title. At that point, what is there to discuss for multiple pages? Theres no recourse, theres no resolution. Unless, however, you manage to call their high school golf coach or compell their Oregon Duck brother to intervene.
5DFAC071-FBB2-4EEA-8AB6-4B7A1D3B6FCE.gif

If only there was a rule or a warning in place, nope don't see anything, not a single thing.

Attached Thumbnails

• Screenshot_20180613-080307.png

#75 CasualLie

CasualLie

Do Woodchucks Chuck Wood?

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,044 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 99500
GolfWRX Likes : 299

Posted 13 June 2018 - 10:04 AM

@goIrish17 - thank you
@gdashoff - yes, you are right...except the meme's ;)

Not once did I want this thread about feel sorry for me because I was an impulsive, trusting buyer not doing his due diligence and using Venmo!  I don't need a hug.  I f'd it up...and while it would be nice to say "if you can just reach one person..." to help others, well...that is not going to happen in this forum because this is all common knowledge to everyone that hangs in this forum.  Honestly, I didn't even know this forum was used for BST disputes, a mod had to direct me.  It's been so long since I have seen a thread about a deal gone wrong that I thought they were all in the BST dispute forum.  I may remember it all wrong, but I thought the BST dispute forum had mods trying to broker an agreement, and seller's who did wrong could get banned.  Turns out in the current climate I was way off.  Oh well...

I wanted to whine about my bad luck with range finders, warn others about the seller...and now it's one more cautionary tale of a dummy who actually knows better not to use Venmo.  It's not the money. $300 is a few rounds of drinks in London with friends.  D*mn good drinks, but when they are gone, they are gone.

Thank you to everyone for chiming in...I'll send the unit to Leupold when I get around to it.

#76 dcfball88

dcfball88

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 436716
  • Ebay ID:maconlax31
GolfWRX Likes : 82

Posted 13 June 2018 - 09:00 PM

To those that are saying the OP shouldn't get a lengthy thread/discussion since he paid venmo thus no recourse, or things to that effect, I think that's kind of pompous of you to say who can post what and how long it gets to be. Hard to tell if you're being sarcastic or it's a half joke, but either way it's not helpful and I don't believe it to be right. I think there's still value to the thread regardless of how the buyer paid. I've seen a few times here where the community has been able to help the seller with suggestions or recourse one way or another. That's the point of community isn't it? Help someone out if you can?

#77 straightshot7

straightshot7

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,637 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2018 - 09:18 PM

dcfball88, on 13 June 2018 - 09:00 PM, said:

To those that are saying the OP shouldn't get a lengthy thread/discussion since he paid venmo thus no recourse, or things to that effect, I think that's kind of pompous of you to say who can post what and how long it gets to be. Hard to tell if you're being sarcastic or it's a half joke, but either way it's not helpful and I don't believe it to be right. I think there's still value to the thread regardless of how the buyer paid. I've seen a few times here where the community has been able to help the seller with suggestions or recourse one way or another. That's the point of community isn't it? Help someone out if you can?

Didn't only 1 person say that?

Most people are just saying that payment method should be a part of the conversation and included, not ignored and unanswered. Because it does matter. It totally changes what options the "victim" has.

#78 dcfball88

dcfball88

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 436716
  • Ebay ID:maconlax31
GolfWRX Likes : 82

Posted 13 June 2018 - 10:45 PM

straightshot7, on 13 June 2018 - 09:18 PM, said:

dcfball88, on 13 June 2018 - 09:00 PM, said:

Didn't only 1 person say that?

Most people are just saying that payment method should be a part of the conversation and included, not ignored and unanswered. Because it does matter. It totally changes what options the "victim" has.

I was meaning to address the 1 poster who said that explicitly here as well as others who are of the same ilk. Should have phrased that better.

And I totally hear you- it's not irrelevant from an available recourse standpoint HOW payment was made. I guess my point was there's still value to trying to help each other even if someone does something they know they're not supposed to do. We all do stuff we're not supposed to do all the time. The WRX community is a powerfully helpful community, so we should still want to help someone who got screwed.

#79 rbj69

rbj69

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 432282
  • Handicap:14
GolfWRX Likes : 59

Posted 13 June 2018 - 11:27 PM

to me i think this would make both parties look fair, i think the seller (flubber) if a good guy should simply ask the buyer (casual) to send the unit in to leupold and find out what the cost to fix it will be and they split it , it shouldnt be not more than a hundred bucks tops and or leupold may just send in a new unit and no charge and then both parties would be happy and i think both parties should get a name of the guy at leopold and both tell them what the problem is and let them know the situation as well , i bet some real good karma would come from this way for both guys , just my two cents

Edited by rbj69, 14 June 2018 - 02:13 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors