Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Chrome peeling off of hickory mashie

Hickory chrome mashie

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Dcohenour

Dcohenour

"Kill Kill Kill the ball does not work." ~ Wriggles

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 324 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 469404
  • Handicap:25
GolfWRX Likes : 481

Posted 05 June 2018 - 08:49 AM

Question:

Last week I picked up a couple of hickory clubs to add to my set of irons (no woods yet). One of them has peeling chrome & rust. The head is currently sitting in rust remover, but I am wondering if there is such a thing as chrome remover and what would the process be?

I'd like to see this club minus the chrome. It has "Mashie 4" stamped on the sole. The engraving is no longer legible on the back, except for "Al". That's all I can make out.

After I get this one fixed up, I plan on regripping all of my hickory clubs with leather. Hope to get this all done by July 4th weekend.

Also, if anyone has a line on a couple of reasonably priced woods, pm me please. Ideally I would like to have a 3 1/2 wood and something like a 7 wood. I think that would allow me to play best.
Thanks!

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#2 hollabachgt

hollabachgt

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 611 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 38283
  • Handicap:2.0
GolfWRX Likes : 292

Posted 05 June 2018 - 09:38 AM

If the chome is chipping off naturally you could most likely media blast off of the rest. You could also take the head to a chrome shop and they should be able to strip it for you.

#3 majic

majic

Major Winner

• Charter Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,138 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 51267
GolfWRX Likes : 1251

Posted 06 June 2018 - 10:20 AM

Old woods are the hardest part of finding playable old clubs. You would best to find a Brasdie or Spoon and a Cleek or Baffy for your lofted club.
Another way to clean irons is vinegar. Soak the head in it. For chrome you are best to have a chrome shop strip it fit you. Knock the pin out of hosel and take head to shop

#4 ebeer

ebeer

Swing Hickory!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 235 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 286500
GolfWRX Likes : 457

Posted 06 June 2018 - 10:42 AM

Unless a club is a valuable collector or fabulous player, I wouldn't mess with chrome alterations.  If the face is clean, I just sand down any chrome flaking so it's smooth and play away.  For the time, effort, and expense to mess with chrome you could find a suitable replacement sans the hassle (just my opinion of course).

I have a true ugly duckling MacGregor niblick...the chrome was peeling but face is clean.  Light sanding to smooth and call it good.  The club has nice loft, great playable weight, and believe it not just a touch of bounce.  It's a player, and fine just like it is.

mcg1.JPG
mcg2.JPG
mcg3.JPG

Various Brassies depending on mood: Alex Herd, AG Spalding, etc

George Nicoll 2 Iron

Tom Stewart: Jigger, Mashie, Mashie Niblick, Niblick

Putters: AG Spalding, Standard Mills, Tom Stewart - depends if I want to miss right or left ;)

NorCal Hickory - Pacific Hickory - StymieMagnet (this Instagram link has new hickory photos posted almost daily)

#5 Dcohenour

Dcohenour

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 324 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2018 - 10:55 AM

View Postmajic, on 06 June 2018 - 10:20 AM, said:

Old woods are the hardest part of finding playable old clubs. You would best to find a Brasdie or Spoon and a Cleek or Baffy for your lofted club.

True! I am having a dickens of a time finding one. I was thinking along the same lines as your suggestions, and am considering reproduction clubs. Considering that the woods would be used quite a bit, and that playable irons seem relatively easy to obtain around here, new reproductions might be a better way for me to go. They would change my cost per club ratio a bit tho.....

#6 Dcohenour

Dcohenour

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 324 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2018 - 10:59 AM

View Postebeer, on 06 June 2018 - 10:42 AM, said:

Unless a club is a valuable collector or fabulous player, I wouldn't mess with chrome alterations.  If the face is clean, I just sand down any chrome flaking so it's smooth and play away.  For the time, effort, and expense to mess with chrome you could find a suitable replacement sans the hassle (just my opinion of course).

I have a true ugly duckling MacGregor niblick...the chrome was peeling but face is clean.  Light sanding to smooth and call it good.  The club has nice loft, great playable weight, and believe it not just a touch of bounce.  It's a player, and fine just like it is.

Attachment mcg1.JPG
Attachment mcg2.JPG
Attachment mcg3.JPG
Mine is nothing like that. After soaking over night in rust remover, it actually polished up pretty good. So much so that I can now read the very light engraving. It's an "Al Winstou's" (but it could be "Winston's) and appears to have been made in Milwaukee, which is a bonus. I'll try to take pics tonight and post them...

#7 hollabachgt

hollabachgt

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 611 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2018 - 12:30 PM

View PostDcohenour, on 06 June 2018 - 10:55 AM, said:

View Postmajic, on 06 June 2018 - 10:20 AM, said:

True! I am having a dickens of a time finding one. I was thinking along the same lines as your suggestions, and am considering reproduction clubs. Considering that the woods would be used quite a bit, and that playable irons seem relatively easy to obtain around here, new reproductions might be a better way for me to go. They would change my cost per club ratio a bit tho.....

There are a couple of pretty nice looking Wilsonian driving brassies on ebay right now that may be worth a look. Those are good solid driving clubs that won't entirely break the bank. You should also look at getting a good driving iron, They can be great clubs to bridge the gap between playable woods and not having a club for the tee.

#8 hollabachgt

hollabachgt

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 611 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2018 - 12:31 PM

View Postebeer, on 06 June 2018 - 10:42 AM, said:

I've been looking for an early Popular C model Niblick, If you're ever in parting with the club please let me know.

#9 majic

majic

Major Winner

• Charter Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,138 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 51267
GolfWRX Likes : 1251

Posted 07 June 2018 - 07:38 AM

If you are interested in reproductions please contact me as I may have a demo club for you. tad@tadmoore.com

#10 Dcohenour

Dcohenour

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 324 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2018 - 08:24 AM

View Postmajic, on 07 June 2018 - 07:38 AM, said:

If you are interested in reproductions please contact me as I may have a demo club for you. tad@tadmoore.com
Thank you! Will do.

Edited by Dcohenour, 07 June 2018 - 08:24 AM.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Also tagged with Hickory, chrome, mashie

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors