Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

My Swing, Thoughts?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 BeerPerHole

BeerPerHole

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 601 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 459940
GolfWRX Likes : 378

Posted 04 June 2018 - 08:32 PM

After hitting some terrible shots on Saturday I asked my son to video me practicing Sunday. I have been playing a long time, 20 years. When I started, I was the worst golfer I have ever seen. Somehow, I stuck with it. Not proud of my swing. But, I know I can improve. I think I have a problem with the transition - hands come over the top. This is related to poor sequencing. I know, also, that I need to involve the legs a little more. Played many years of football and did a lot of weightlifting. Physically, I'm in constant maintenance mode. But, I love getting out and playing golf, and trying to improve.

https://www.youtube....h?v=Kk1glcI4-VM
https://www.youtube....h?v=Kk1glcI4-VM

Ping G400 Max, 8-degrees, tour stiff
Mizuno JPX900 Forged irons
20-year old Mizuno 5 Wood
Balls: Snell (any model), Srixon Q Star XV

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#2 BeerPerHole

BeerPerHole

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 601 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2018 - 01:25 PM

After watching this I have started letting my left knee move right on the backswing and firing the lower body first. Good results in first outing.

Man, the golf swing is a mystery for some of us who took the game up late in life.

#3 dedicated2journey

dedicated2journey

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 349553
  • Handicap:+4
GolfWRX Likes : 18

Posted 09 June 2018 - 08:04 AM

1) Tuck your chin...you're not looking directly at the ball. Makes it tough to coordinate your movements.
2) Your posture and setup are EXTREMELY stiff. The golf swing is a motion, you need to loosen up a touch.
3) You come over the top because you lack X-factor mobility (hips turn, upper body stable).

Your grip, back swing and forward swing are sound. If you could post a face on, we could probably fix some of that with ball position and swing intentions.
" Reverse Every Natural Instinct..."
   -Ben Hogan

#4 FourTops

FourTops

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 367 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 500886
  • Handicap:5.7
GolfWRX Likes : 169

Posted 10 June 2018 - 01:40 PM

Just IMO.  Ran all your swings in 0.25 slo-mo.

Knees look too flexed...try less knee bend. Hogan said to feel like you're leaning against a bar stool while waiting to shoot pool.  And relax your arms a LOT, they should feel like strings of spaghetti.  I think you're doing the Hogan arm wrap, but that can lead to too much starting tension.

You are standing up on the back swing, then dropping down on the downswing...way too much needless movement.  Check out your hat vs. the trees behind, you lift quite a bit.  This is because you are not rotating back...you are lifting the club with your arms.  Someone along the way may have worked with you to keep the club outside of your hands on the back swing, but that's causing you to lift the club vs. rotate. Thus, you're swing looks in front of you, not around you.

I suggest this:  Fold your hands across your chest.  "Lean on the barroom stool" at address position.  Make sure the right knee is flexed and stays flexed. Now rotate your torso like you're in a cylinder, or you're a human drill bit going into wood....you can't move right or left....rotate until you feel lots of tension.  You will feel like you're rotating "over your right knee", and you will feel pressure on the inside of your right foot...that creates coil / torque.  You should find you can't turn back very far because your muscle's are not used to this type of turn.

Now get a club and do the same exact thing...and don't worry about club path for now...just rotate back to the top....hold, then go a little farther...from there, rotate the hips slightly left without moving the upper body...get some separation...then from there rotate back down while keeping the arms connected to your torso rotation...rotate everything together, like you're arms are locked into your shoulder rotation.  Nothing goes faster or slower, back to the ball position.  This should give you the feel of how to rotate back to the ball.

I suggest hitting tons of PW's with half swings to get the rotation feel.  I'm working with someone right now on a very similar set of issues.

EDIT:  Check out this video...I'm a firm believer in not getting too mechanical in golf.

https://www.youtube....h?v=om1uMvCKir8

Edited by FourTops, 10 June 2018 - 02:12 PM.

#5 BeerPerHole

BeerPerHole

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 601 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2018 - 05:02 PM

The input here has been very good, based on last night's practice session. Am hitting the ball probably the best I ever have.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors