Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Alignment tips?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 AUSweeper

AUSweeper

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 492298
GolfWRX Likes : 19

Posted 04 June 2018 - 07:43 PM

It seems simple enough, but my 8 yo has the hardest time lining up to a target (not talking putts).  He can get behind the ball, pick a target, approach ball and set up...and he ends up aiming significantly off from his target at least a third of the time.  Any fool proof tips anyone can share?

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#2 MikekiM

MikekiM

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 415850
GolfWRX Likes : 96

Posted 04 June 2018 - 11:05 PM

I like to practice by aiming the clubhead first. Pick a spot right in front of the ball like a leaf or divot and aim the club at that first then set your feet.

#3 BertGA

BertGA

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 500442
GolfWRX Likes : 156

Posted 05 June 2018 - 09:01 AM

Does he consistently misalign a certain direction? Left or right? Is it just the feet, shoulders, or all of the above?

In my experience, it takes some time to explain to a child at that age that the feet are lined up parallel to the target line, not at the target. I’m not even sure kids learn parallel/congruent lines until 3rd or 4th grade.

Have you tried alignment sticks? Sometimes it’s just knowing what your common mistake is, and correcting for it. Drill that into their heads with a little basic geometry and some alignment stick work for couple months.

#4 Tannerbug33

Tannerbug33

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 464346
GolfWRX Likes : 50

Posted 05 June 2018 - 09:50 AM

My son has had a hard time and well. This past weekend he started taking his club and drawing a imaginary  line from his back to his front and past and would adjust from there.

#5 heavy_hitter

heavy_hitter

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,458 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 366715
GolfWRX Likes : 1993

Posted 05 June 2018 - 10:00 AM

Alignment can be several different reasons.  It isn't always, they are lining up incorrectly.  It can be because they alter their stance to compensate for a fault in their swing.  They may address the ball to open or closed with their feet which alters their alignment.  They may simply fail at lining up because they have poor spacial awareness.

Only thing I can tell is to use alignment sticks on the range and take them to the course for practice sessions while playing.

#6 kekoa

kekoa

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 7,824 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 66944
  • Handicap:4-20
GolfWRX Likes : 1751

Posted 05 June 2018 - 04:32 PM

We fight this as well.  More times than not, my son aims right and this sometimes causes him to over draw the ball.  I've tried to mess with his alignment a few times and he changes his swing a bit making it disastrous.  Right now, I just let him do whatever is comfortable.

#7 heavy_hitter

heavy_hitter

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,458 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2018 - 04:46 PM

View Postkekoa, on 05 June 2018 - 04:32 PM, said:

We fight this as well.  More times than not, my son aims right and this sometimes causes him to over draw the ball.  I've tried to mess with his alignment a few times and he changes his swing a bit making it disastrous.  Right now, I just let him do whatever is comfortable.

That is usually because he is lining up too closed either in his alignment or his feet.  It is very common.

Try the spacial awareness drill.  Ask Ben to march in place.  Tell him he has to march in a 2 by 2 box.  Have him bring his knees up to hip level.  Have him put is arms out and keep both extended.  Then tell him to close his eyes and not to peek.  After about 10 seconds ask him to count silently to himself for 30 seconds.  After that 30 seconds is up tell him to stop and keep his eyes closed.  With his eyes closed he will tell you that he is still standing in the box.  I bet he is 4 or five feet forward and to the right of the box where he started and maybe turned his body just a wee bit to the right just from what you just explained.  He doesn't have great spacial awareness or perception.  It is teachable.

Edited by heavy_hitter, 05 June 2018 - 04:46 PM.

#8 AUSweeper

AUSweeper

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2018 - 11:10 AM

View PostBertGA, on 05 June 2018 - 09:01 AM, said:

Does he consistently misalign a certain direction? Left or right? Is it just the feet, shoulders, or all of the above?

In my experience, it takes some time to explain to a child at that age that the feet are lined up parallel to the target line, not at the target. Iím not even sure kids learn parallel/congruent lines until 3rd or 4th grade.

Have you tried alignment sticks? Sometimes itís just knowing what your common mistake is, and correcting for it. Drill that into their heads with a little basic geometry and some alignment stick work for couple months.

#9 AUSweeper

AUSweeper

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2018 - 11:14 AM

Yeah, is pretty much always an open stance when he is misaligned.  Will try the alignment sticks.  Who knows, maybe itís got to do with which eye is dominant.  Played with one kid that on every shot would put the club across his chest and look down the shaft like a rifle to line up.  That got old fast.

#10 heavy_hitter

heavy_hitter

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,458 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2018 - 02:23 PM

View PostAUSweeper, on 06 June 2018 - 11:14 AM, said:

Played with one kid that on every shot would put the club across his chest and look down the shaft like a rifle to line up.  That got old fast.

Oh my.  That gets under my skin.  My son plays against a kid that does that and in the back of my mind I am pounding my chest while thinking "While were young."

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#11 leezer99

leezer99

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 820 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 94152
GolfWRX Likes : 779

Posted 06 June 2018 - 02:41 PM

View Postheavy_hitter, on 06 June 2018 - 02:23 PM, said:

Played with one kid that on every shot would put the club across his chest and look down the shaft like a rifle to line up.  That got old fast.

Oh my.  That gets under my skin.  My son plays against a kid that does that and in the back of my mind I am pounding my chest while thinking "While were young."

No, no... the worst is when they line the club head up behind the ball and try to hold it there while standing behind it and then move back to the side to take the shot.  I'm probably not explaining it well but y'all know what I'm talking about.

#12 MikekiM

MikekiM

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 415850
GolfWRX Likes : 96

Posted 06 June 2018 - 05:40 PM

View Postleezer99, on 06 June 2018 - 02:41 PM, said:

View Postheavy_hitter, on 06 June 2018 - 02:23 PM, said:

No, no... the worst is when they line the club head up behind the ball and try to hold it there while standing behind it and then move back to the side to take the shot.  I'm probably not explaining it well but y'all know what I'm talking about.
Posted Image

#13 DatNikeGolfDude

DatNikeGolfDude

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 311863
  • Handicap:0
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 27 June 2018 - 05:20 AM

View PostAUSweeper, on 04 June 2018 - 07:43 PM, said:

It seems simple enough, but my 8 yo has the hardest time lining up to a target (not talking putts).  He can get behind the ball, pick a target, approach ball and set up...and he ends up aiming significantly off from his target at least a third of the time.  Any fool proof tips anyone can share?

It's as simple as getting a stick and aiming it at the target and getting another stick to run parallel to it. One is the target line and the other is the stance line. He just stands square to the stance line and swings. Easy.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors