Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Swing Thoughts?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Falker

Falker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 503124
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 30 May 2018 - 06:57 PM

Hello,

Iím currently going through a number of thoughts on my swing and debating making changes. Iím curious what others might have to say just from a quick look at my swing and if you notice something I may not have. Iíd appreciate any reviews. Sorry about the quality of the video, I just placed my phone on a chair at the back of the range...

https://vimeo.com/272675878

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#2 dhartmann34

dhartmann34

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 476 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 51852
  • Handicap:3
GolfWRX Likes : 223

Posted 30 May 2018 - 07:42 PM

I see you rolling your hands away during your takeaway and coming over the top. My guess is that your miss is left to right. Seems you're catching it fat as well.

Tell me about your swing. What do you notice? What's your 8 iron distance?

#3 Falker

Falker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2018 - 07:55 PM

I used to roll the hands, now itís quite minimal. I believe you can see that the club face is square at the top. I try to keep is square through the backswing.

I do often hit the shorter irons fat, long irons thin.

My miss is a hook with long clubs, straight pull with short clubs.

My 8 iron is my 145 yard club and from there down on good days, deadly accurate.

Edited by Falker, 30 May 2018 - 07:56 PM.

#4 dhartmann34

dhartmann34

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 476 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 51852
  • Handicap:3
GolfWRX Likes : 223

Posted 31 May 2018 - 10:47 AM

You take the club away with your hands and it gets really far inside and behind you which makes it harder to get back to the proper position when you strike the ball. The club face is pointing towards the sky, but should be a little more parallel with your target.

On the back-swing, your left shoulder kind of circles around in a horizontal move, when it should be moving towards the ground a bit more on the takeaway. This will give your swing a little more vertical movement. (Sorry there's a lot of information)

On your downswing, you're coming a little up out of your posture and that is letting you come over the top and get through to the left. I have this issue as well sometimes and I try to focus on a strong base and staying in what feel like, but really isn't, a little squat position, all the way through the swing. If you stay in the posture, the club will have more of a tendency to drop into the slot and go down the target line.

It's hard to show pictures, lines and give help in general on these forum posts, but I'd suggest checking out this video. It should give you a few things to work on.

https://www.youtube....h?v=A7t40sO0vSs

Posted Image
The club head should be more parallel with your target instead of pointing towards the sky.
Posted Image
The club head should be more in line with your hands at this point of the backswing, getting ready to go vertical and set.
It's too far behind you. Hands are rolled open a bit.

Hope this makes sense!

#5 Falker

Falker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2018 - 12:02 PM

View Postdhartmann34, on 31 May 2018 - 10:47 AM, said:

You take the club away with your hands and it gets really far inside and behind you which makes it harder to get back to the proper position when you strike the ball. The club face is pointing towards the sky, but should be a little more parallel with your target.

The first three swings I was playing with my grip and went really weak on my left hand (my right is always weak), this made it worse. The last swing in the series is more typical for me. I left them all in there because the grip change didn't seem to have much of an effect on results, but did have an effect on feel.

On the back-swing, your left shoulder kind of circles around in a horizontal move, when it should be moving towards the ground a bit more on the takeaway. This will give your swing a little more vertical movement. (Sorry there's a lot of information)

I've struggled with this - both in theory and how I'm actually executing it. I'm short, so my swing should theoretically be pretty flat and my backswing is but clearly my downswing is not. It feels like that position in my backswing allows me to use my hip rotation to drive speed into my arms and club. If I raise them higher it feels very disconnected and like I can't use my hips as well. I'm undecided on what to do or the benefits of either: A) Stepening the backswing; or B) shallowing the downswing. Both feel very natural because of 25 years of practice...

On your downswing, you're coming a little up out of your posture and that is letting you come over the top and get through to the left. I have this issue as well sometimes and I try to focus on a strong base and staying in what feel like, but really isn't, a little squat position, all the way through the swing. If you stay in the posture, the club will have more of a tendency to drop into the slot and go down the target line.

I know what you're saying and I've tried that. Sometimes I succeed (I think), and it does produce reasonable results but I have to really force it and I can't do it consistently. Here's what I'm debating now: I naturally want to bring my arms close to my body and steepen my downswing. I can often produce some good results (on good days I hit 40% GIR) but on bad days it's quite bad (0% GIR). The problem I'm noticing is that because I bring my hands and right elbow in close they follow what my right hip is doing, and more often than not this produces an out-to-in path which results in a lot of pulls. I think every shot in that video was a pull, some more than others.

If I close my hips and feet, would that be the best strategy to maintaining a straighter and more consistent path by opening up a bit of room for my hands and elbow on the downswing?

#6 Falker

Falker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2018 - 01:23 PM

Just went out to try what I was explaining: https://vimeo.com/272819492

I didn't hit any pulls, all relatively on target, baby draws.  What's the downside to continuing to do this?

#7 copperjeff

copperjeff

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 822 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 187038
  • Handicap:9000
GolfWRX Likes : 381

Posted 31 May 2018 - 08:53 PM

View PostFalker, on 31 May 2018 - 01:23 PM, said:

Just went out to try what I was explaining: https://vimeo.com/272819492

I didn't hit any pulls, all relatively on target, baby draws.  What's the downside to continuing to do this?

Essentially what you've done is aimed to accommodate for the pull.  You are still hitting a pretty big pull based on your body lines (not target line)  What can start to happen, is that over time you may develop a bigger out to in swing and see the pull and slice come back, as you adjust to the new aiming.

Changing your swing permanently for the better will require A LOT of work and probably a paradigm shift in how you think about powering the swing and hitting the ball. This will be difficult to accomplish purely over the internet, but not impossible.

I'm happy to provide advice on things to change if you choose to go that route.  Otherwise I recommend finding a good instructor that you can see face to face if you wish to change your swing.

If you decide not to change your swing, I'm sure there are a few things that you can do course management style to help cut a few strokes of your game here and there, or possibly something in short game/putting that you could look into as well

Let us know what you decide to do!

Good Luck!
Golfing Ginger
So glad I picked an outside activity...

#8 Falker

Falker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2018 - 11:32 PM

So Iíve been thinking about this more. Hereís my current thought: the ball is starting consistently square with my shoulders (which I align to target, hips slightly closed and feet closed) but Iím hitting draws on good shots with a 3/4 iron 10-15 yards left of target and on bad shots I just hit big hooks. Some misses are pulls but more rare than a hook.

My short irons are very accurate and I have trouble shaping any shots with them. Probably not a bad thing.

Iíve now basically completely eliminated the right side of the course. Itís very rare that Iíll hit a fade and when I do itís a very slight push fade. Nothing to complain about.

Even though Iím short I seem to be able to make a steep downswing work for me. Iím having trouble understanding why that might be bad long term.

I hit the ball reasonably long and have little trouble hitting greens in reg (statistically far better than someone of my handicap should).

To make a long story short: I want to eliminate the hooks and pulls. According to shot monitors Iím slightly closed to target at impact (.5-1.5 degrees). With my ball flight the club path must be in-to-out, sometimes significantly, causing the hook. If I worked on weakening my grip, would that not promote a more open face at impact straightening the shot to more of a push draw?

Is my reasoning flawed? Whatís stopping this swing from reaching scratch golf? (Excluding putting, right now thatís my worst...)

#9 BeerPerHole

BeerPerHole

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 715 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 459940
GolfWRX Likes : 479

Posted 13 June 2018 - 11:54 PM

Doesn't look very bad at all. Nice range, too. The only thing that seemed to jump out at me was that your lower body was not your first move at the transition. But, your shoulders fire simultaneously with your lower body. I mention it because it has been something I've fought in my swing and only recently started really improving on. Good luck with the swing. It's a fun, yet maddening process.
Ping G400 Max, 8-degrees, tour stiff
Mizuno JPX900 Forged irons
20-year old Mizuno 5 Wood
Balls: Z Star and Snell MTB Black

#10 Falker

Falker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2018 - 08:58 AM

View PostBeerPerHole, on 13 June 2018 - 11:54 PM, said:

Doesn't look very bad at all. Nice range, too. The only thing that seemed to jump out at me was that your lower body was not your first move at the transition. But, your shoulders fire simultaneously with your lower body. I mention it because it has been something I've fought in my swing and only recently started really improving on. Good luck with the swing. It's a fun, yet maddening process.

Good catch - you're right. As I warm up and begin to play I start loosening up and get my lower body (especially my hips) out there earlier and more aggressively. It changes my ball flight a little (I tend to hit it a little straighter) but mostly just adds a bunch more power and distance. I have a hard time starting off that way, though. I should probably add this to early swing thoughts and range practice.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#11 Falker

Falker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2018 - 12:36 PM

I just went to the range to practice/test. Although it's just one session, weakening my left hand dramatically changed the flight and feel with the longer clubs. I didn't hit a single hook. My misses were all either very thin shots or a slight fade just right of the target. I assume the thin shots were just because I'm not used to the grip and the fades seemed to be linked to the timing of my swing, specifically when I fired my hips, late would cause a fade, early would be a nice push draw.

Strangely, I didn't take any divots. That's not normal for me. I'm not sure why that happened or if it will change as I get used to a weaker grip. I also noticed that my contact felt weaker although this could be because I was just picking them clean off the grass - maybe I'm a little low on the face *shrug*. I couldn't tell if it changed distance at all.

I'll play with it a bit, if it continues to work an eliminates the hook then I'll move onto the next thing. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors