Jump to content

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Atlanta Golf! Must play golf courses


71 replies to this topic

#61 OGJOKR

OGJOKR

    Rookie

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 383208
  • Joined: 06/29/2015
  • Location:McDonough, GA
  • Handicap:10
  • Ebay ID:midwaynative
GolfWRX Likes : 7

Posted 09 July 2018 - 12:24 PM

thanks guys.

Driver: Callaway Epic SZ 8*
Hybrids: Callaway Alpha 18*,23*
Irons: Mizuno MP-15 4-PW 2*U
Wedges: Mizuno T-5 50*,54*,58*
Putter: Scotty Cameron GOLO 3

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


1

#62 GTgolf

GTgolf

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 400 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 296579
  • Joined: 02/12/2014
  • Location:Cumming, Ga
  • Handicap:3
GolfWRX Likes : 118

Posted 09 July 2018 - 01:56 PM

View Postwarrio17, on 09 July 2018 - 11:06 AM, said:

View Posthollabachgt, on 09 July 2018 - 11:01 AM, said:

Chateau Elan is the easy pick

This^^

Chateau Course


Bear's Best is also an option. Though, I have never been overly impressed by the course.

Chateau sucks


Play Currahee or Cateechee

Both 15-20 mins off I85, and currahee is worth every penny.

2

#63 cxx

cxx

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,746 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 142023
  • Joined: 10/10/2011
GolfWRX Likes : 740

Posted 09 July 2018 - 03:19 PM

I'd hold off on joining a club unless you already know people in the club and like them.  You'll have to be here a little while to get the lay of the land and the traffic.  You can find areas where you travel predominantly against traffic, depending of course on where you need to go.  Dunwoody might not be a bad choice.

I played out at the Frog for several years shortly after it opened. It was a bit far but was a very nice Fazio design. Not sure what the maintenance is these days. There are plenty of courses on the public list to keep you occupied until you sort out what's available.

By the way, Clubcorp is a large collection of clubs that acquired Sequoya Golf that owned Canongate both of which owned a bunch of courses around Atlanta. If you join you get access to all the clubs.  Depending on which club you join and which plan you choose, your monthly fees vary.  The fancier the club the more you pay.  You can see their website without being a member.

3

#64 darkcm21

darkcm21

    Rookie

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 503000
  • Joined: 05/28/2018
  • Location:Atlanta, Ga
  • Handicap:3
GolfWRX Likes : 11

Posted 11 July 2018 - 01:53 PM

So, I just played Cobblestone for the first time! What an amazing layout, if only the conditions were halfway decent. So frustrating, it could be an awesome golf course but had bare spots in the fairways, damaged tee boxes and inconsistent rough. The greens were quick and rolled true though. The only course condition bright spot. If only they could clean it up a bit. I feel there is so much potential down here. Itís got to be frustrating for public golfers in the Atlanta area.
Taylormade M3 Driver 9.5
Titleist 816 H1 17 2 hybrid
Titleist 716 Cb 3-PW
Vokey SM5 52 F, 56 S, 60 S
Scotty Cameron Newport 2

4

#65 GTgolf

GTgolf

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 400 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 296579
  • Joined: 02/12/2014
  • Location:Cumming, Ga
  • Handicap:3
GolfWRX Likes : 118

Posted 11 July 2018 - 02:59 PM

View Postdarkcm21, on 11 July 2018 - 01:53 PM, said:

So, I just played Cobblestone for the first time! What an amazing layout, if only the conditions were halfway decent. So frustrating, it could be an awesome golf course but had bare spots in the fairways, damaged tee boxes and inconsistent rough. The greens were quick and rolled true though. The only course condition bright spot. If only they could clean it up a bit. I feel there is so much potential down here. Itís got to be frustrating for public golfers in the Atlanta area.

Itís always been that way.

Their greens are the most disappointing of all aspects.


5

#66 darkcm21

darkcm21

    Rookie

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 503000
  • Joined: 05/28/2018
  • Location:Atlanta, Ga
  • Handicap:3
GolfWRX Likes : 11

Posted 11 July 2018 - 03:05 PM

GTgolf, I didnít think the greens were that bad honestly. The rolled well. Everything else though, yikes. Actually the bunkers were in good shape. The Midwest gets a lot of rocks and hard pan in  bunkers. The sand was nice at cobblestone.
Taylormade M3 Driver 9.5
Titleist 816 H1 17 2 hybrid
Titleist 716 Cb 3-PW
Vokey SM5 52 F, 56 S, 60 S
Scotty Cameron Newport 2

6

#67 GTgolf

GTgolf

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 400 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 296579
  • Joined: 02/12/2014
  • Location:Cumming, Ga
  • Handicap:3
GolfWRX Likes : 118

Posted 11 July 2018 - 09:07 PM

View Postdarkcm21, on 11 July 2018 - 03:05 PM, said:

GTgolf, I didnít think the greens were that bad honestly. The rolled well. Everything else though, yikes. Actually the bunkers were in good shape. The Midwest gets a lot of rocks and hard pan in  bunkers. The sand was nice at cobblestone.

Middle of the summer with Bermuda is the best itíll be. Try playing there the other half of the year. Meh.

7

#68 darkcm21

darkcm21

    Rookie

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 503000
  • Joined: 05/28/2018
  • Location:Atlanta, Ga
  • Handicap:3
GolfWRX Likes : 11

Posted 11 July 2018 - 09:51 PM

GTgolf, that sucks. I didnít know that, but if thatís the case then Iím disappointed in the greens. I just played river pines today. Everything was in decent shape except the greens were a bit patchy and bumpy. I think they have bent greens so that would make sense. They are also still recovering from aeration I believe. The layout on the other hand was eh... pretty boring. A few interesting par 4s that made you think. If cobblestone was maintained as well as river pines Iíd be extremely happy to play there.

Iím slowly knocking out each public course on the north side of Atlanta. Iíd give cobblestone 3 stars and riverpines 3 1/2.
Taylormade M3 Driver 9.5
Titleist 816 H1 17 2 hybrid
Titleist 716 Cb 3-PW
Vokey SM5 52 F, 56 S, 60 S
Scotty Cameron Newport 2

8

#69 GTgolf

GTgolf

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 400 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 296579
  • Joined: 02/12/2014
  • Location:Cumming, Ga
  • Handicap:3
GolfWRX Likes : 118

Posted 12 July 2018 - 08:09 AM

View Postdarkcm21, on 11 July 2018 - 09:51 PM, said:

GTgolf, that sucks. I didnít know that, but if thatís the case then Iím disappointed in the greens. I just played river pines today. Everything was in decent shape except the greens were a bit patchy and bumpy. I think they have bent greens so that would make sense. They are also still recovering from aeration I believe. The layout on the other hand was eh... pretty boring. A few interesting par 4s that made you think. If cobblestone was maintained as well as river pines Iíd be extremely happy to play there.

Iím slowly knocking out each public course on the north side of Atlanta. Iíd give cobblestone 3 stars and riverpines 3 1/2.

The amount of traffic at river pines absolutely kills those bent greens. I like the track ok. Shot makers course. Too many forced layups. However it will definitely sharpen your iron game.

Try Bridgemill, Bradshaw, echelon, Govenors club, crystal falls, Hampton, Chicopee, Chestatee, achasta

9

#70 whynotgolf

whynotgolf

    Newbie

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 503864
  • Joined: 06/05/2018
  • Location:GA
  • Handicap:12
GolfWRX Likes : 9

Posted 12 July 2018 - 01:37 PM

View Postcxx, on 09 July 2018 - 03:19 PM, said:

I'd hold off on joining a club unless you already know people in the club and like them.  You'll have to be here a little while to get the lay of the land and the traffic.  You can find areas where you travel predominantly against traffic, depending of course on where you need to go.  Dunwoody might not be a bad choice.

I played out at the Frog for several years shortly after it opened. It was a bit far but was a very nice Fazio design. Not sure what the maintenance is these days. There are plenty of courses on the public list to keep you occupied until you sort out what's available.

By the way, Clubcorp is a large collection of clubs that acquired Sequoya Golf that owned Canongate both of which owned a bunch of courses around Atlanta. If you join you get access to all the clubs.  Depending on which club you join and which plan you choose, your monthly fees vary.  The fancier the club the more you pay.  You can see their website without being a member.

Played The Frog about 2 weeks ago...I must say I was expecting the greens to be suffering with the heat we've had the last month...maybe not as fast as they normally are according to the members I played with, but in good shape...in fact everything but the bunkers were in good condition...a few bunkers were lacking sand.


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


10

#71 moonlighthruthepines

moonlighthruthepines

    Newbie

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 507216
  • Joined: 07/14/2018
  • Location:GA
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 14 July 2018 - 10:39 PM

I recommend heading up to Reunion.  I play there a lot and it's kept in good shape.  One of the best values in north ATL too.

11

#72 whynotgolf

whynotgolf

    Newbie

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 503864
  • Joined: 06/05/2018
  • Location:GA
  • Handicap:12
GolfWRX Likes : 9

Posted 16 July 2018 - 08:36 AM

I played Bears Best yesterday and I must say, it played like the premium golf course it's marketed to be. That hasn't always been the case as it gets a lot of "Player Development Program" traffic and hot summer conditions take a toll on the greens. They rolled smooth with nice holing pace...reportedly running about a 10. Fairways, and tees were in great shape...bunkers a tad thin on sand but very playable.

Ideal Golfer price made it a bargain.

12



0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors