Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Number of D1 Tournaments

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 kralphgolf16

kralphgolf16

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 482322
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 30 May 2018 - 01:24 PM

Trying to get a feel for the size of D1 golf. Obviously there are plenty of teams - 250+. Does anyone know how many tournaments there are each year. I'm assuming not every team has a home event but wanted to get an idea of the full schedule size.

Thanks!

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#2 heavy_hitter

heavy_hitter

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,475 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 366715
GolfWRX Likes : 2021

Posted 30 May 2018 - 01:36 PM

View Postkralphgolf16, on 30 May 2018 - 01:24 PM, said:

Trying to get a feel for the size of D1 golf. Obviously there are plenty of teams - 250+. Does anyone know how many tournaments there are each year. I'm assuming not every team has a home event but wanted to get an idea of the full schedule size.

Thanks!

They play 4-6 tournaments in the fall and 4-6 tournaments in the Spring.  This doesn't include the conference tournament or advancing to the NCAA.  Every team does not host a tournament.  There are also individual only events that coaches will often times take players to that aren't playing in the team events.  The D1 golfers schedule is pretty brutal.  Some tournaments are 54 holes in 2 days and others 54 holes in 3 days.  Tournaments are usually Fri-Sat-Sun, Sat-Sun, Mon-Tues.  My daughters school leaves 2 days before the tournament and have a travel/practice day and a practice round the day before the tournament.

Here you can count the number of tournaments.  I am not taking the time to count.
http://golfstat.com/...hedule&gender=m

Edited by heavy_hitter, 30 May 2018 - 01:48 PM.

#3 tanker44

tanker44

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 184 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 357941
GolfWRX Likes : 109

Posted 04 June 2018 - 08:03 PM

So, smaller unranked mid-con Div 1 schools will participate in as many tournaments as possible (typically 6 in fall and 6 in spring + post season).  And then bigger nationally ranked Div 1 schools will participate in fewer.  

The reason is pretty simple.  College tournaments are typically invite only.  The unranked Div 1 schools will fill up their schedule with the best events/fields they can find.  Then the nationally ranked teams get to pick through numerous invites and participate in the best events with the highest levels of competition.  So rather than fill a schedule to the max they balance their schedule w/ travel, etc and then prepare to play against the best teams in the country.  Quality trumps quantity.

I played for a smaller mid-con Div 1 program in early 2000s.  The first couple years we didn't host a tournament.  Then we got a new coach who was resourceful and had good relationships with a bunch of coaches.  I am pretty sure teams host events to make a little money for their program - however, they have to get schools to commit to play and pay.  So, hosting events are hit or miss.  I am sure there are coaches out there who have hosted events, lost money and then had to answer to the AD - not good.
Cobra F8+
Cobra F8+ 3W
Mizuno CLK 19H
PXG Darkness 0311T
TM Milled 52/56/60
Cameron Newport 18'

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors