Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Bushnell Pro X2 VS Nikon Coolshot 80i VR

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Piko

Piko

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 413480
  • Handicap:9
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 30 May 2018 - 12:49 PM

I'm down to deciding between these 2 similarly priced rangefinders. I've searched all over the net /youtube for an unbiased comparison & no luck. Looking for some insight to help in my decision.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#2 coloradojer

coloradojer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 98417
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 31 May 2018 - 08:54 PM

I had a problem seeing through the Nikon with sunglasses on - everything was pretty much too dark to see.  It's almost as if Nikon put an extra polarizing filter on their lens that was interfering with the sunglasses I was wearing.  If you would turn the Nikon 90 degrees, you could see through it.

I'm not certain if it was a problem with Oakley prizm lenses also or just polarized lenses, but I never had an issue using sunglasses with Bushnell or Precision Pro rangefinders.  It was fine without sunglasses - just something that you may want to test first if you have the chance.

I would think if it was a common problem with the Nikon rangefinders I would have heard about it somewhere when I was researching, but I'm the only one I know of that had that issue.  Been using rangefinders for 17 years without a problem, but had that same issue testing 3 different Nikon 80is.

#3 Piko

Piko

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2018 - 12:39 PM

Thank you for your insight.

#4 North Butte

North Butte

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,861 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 424472
GolfWRX Likes : 6950

Posted 19 June 2018 - 12:45 PM

I've used other Bushnells but never that particular model. For me the bottom line is any rangefinder with the Vibration Reduction is better than any rangefinder without it. Pretty clear-cut preference for me, it makes all the difference in the world once you spend 10 minutes getting used to how the VR kicks in after a second or so and stabilizes the image (i.e. you have to wait a second for it to lock on and then move it to your target).

I wear my normal everyday progressive lens glasses when playing golf and the Nikon works fine, although I think I may not always quite see all the way out to the very edge of the field of view. It feels like I am seeing the whole view but probably in reality I'm only seeing 90% or so due to the eye relief.
Everything has its drawbacks, as the man said when his mother-in-law died, and they came down upon him for the funeral expenses.

#5 Piko

Piko

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2018 - 09:12 PM

Yes, the VR has huge appeal for me and many have raved about the tech, especially those of us north of 50.

#6 kmccallum

kmccallum

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 363021

Posted 28 June 2018 - 11:15 AM

I've got the Nikon and played with it last week for the first time. Takes a bit of getting used to but the VR is very effective compared to when I've tried other rangefinders

#7 BenSeattle

BenSeattle

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 471 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 610
GolfWRX Likes : 177

Posted 29 June 2018 - 06:55 PM

After a great deal of research and demoing, I settled on the Nikon 80 VR.   I'm VERY price-conscious so anything over $300 was out.  I was considering one of the highly-reviewed "discount" brands you can find on Amazon butt when a respected review site (initials M.G.S) named the Nikon Coolshot STABILIZED as their "Rangefinder of the Year," I took a closer look at Nikon's line.  That number one pick was out for me (since Slope adds to the cost) but when I found the Coolshot 80 VR, this guy fell in love.  First, no Slope.  (The near-twin i80 VR does have that feature.)  Fast, accurate, easy to read, 6x magnification.  But what really sold me was the Stabilization feature.  My hands aren't shaky but anybody would have trouble holding steady on a target more than 200 yards away and that's where the 80 VR wins out.  Find your target, click and instantly the Coolshot becomes calm in your hands, almost a gyroscopic effect as it locks onto the flag. Also, I don't get this talk about lens coatings being a problem... I use it on dark, cloudy days in Seattle without missing a beat.  Oh, and it's rainproof too, if that matters to you.   I paid well under $300 from GolfTech.  (Where I have no affiliation.)

To my mind, this is another area where it's hard to go wrong, there's just so many good products out there.  Leopold, Bushnell and even some "off-brands" like TecTecTec have their advocates.  It all depends on what you want in a rangefinder and what fits your budget.  (All I know is: SOMEBODY has to pay Rickie Fowler and it ain't me!)

***  One side note:  I have great friend -- also a fine golfer -- and when I asked him about a rangefinder he said he had no use for them.  He carries an accurate but moderately-priced GPS unit that gives him front/middle/back in about three seconds.  I don't think I could give him a rangefinder if I tried.  Despite his valued opinion, I still went with the laser.  See: to each his own.

Happy golfing

#8 gc444

gc444

Advanced

• Lefty Boomers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 326 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 4160
GolfWRX Likes : 107

Posted 29 June 2018 - 07:10 PM

I tried out the 80i VR and the optical stabilization is really good and the rangefinder itself is very accurate.  The only reason I returned it is because I decided to get the Garmin, but the Nikon is an excellent unit.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors